Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Too the ones saying it's too expensive, what, do you expect it to be $5? o_O And I'm sure that the cable itself won't be exclusive. And it's not an $18 profit! >.< They have much more to pay for aside from the parts.

apb89

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Can anyone confirm that you can insert it into the phone either way? Looks identical on both sides

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
tumblr_m5bcch8ivq1r0vr9eo2_1280.png

According to iLounge, Apple will be the "exclusive initial supplier" for the new Dock Connector Adapter that will allow the next-generation iPhone to be used with older 30-pin Dock Connectors. Apple will reportedly sell them for $10 each or three for $29. However, it's possible that Apple will allow third parties to build the adapter at a later date.

Because... Apple is currently the only company clued into the cable spec, which I'm guessing they'll be announcing on Sept. 12th. I'm sure the 3rd party market will be ramped up in no time. Really, if you think it through, why would Apple kill the 3rd party "Made for iPhone", etc. accessory market? It promotes product lock-in to the iDevice landscape, which will be important as the connector itself is changing.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Wonder how much they are going to sell the New Dock Connector Adapter Smartcase for?

Where do you get that there will be case? Is there a case for the magsafe adaptor? No.

Can anyone confirm that you can insert it into the phone either way? Looks identical on both sides

I don't know how anyone would be able to confirm this as no one has really plugged it in yet.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I just hope they offer different lengths. I've gotten used to a third-party 6 ft. cable and using Apple's 3 ft. cable now is painful! The picture looks like a longer cable, but who knows if it's legit.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
And one will be. No one ever said otherwise. You think Apple is going to sell a phone that can't be charged without an accessory that is sold separately? Come on.

They were referring to the dock adaptor, not the charge cable.

Apple should include a dock adaptor, but I doubt they will. They don't even include a MagSafe 1 adaptor with their $2000+ retina MacBook pros.

Apple currently charges $19 for iOS device cables, so no surprise there.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Should be included in the box, also the price is stupid.. it's a cable :eek:

The price for what is stupid? The usual USB cable? It's the same price it's always been. That's the price of most phone chargers if you buy them retail (online is a different story) and my iPhone cables tend to last longer than micro USB chargers.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
So is the new cable gonna be included with the new iPhone 5? Or are you gonna have to buy it separate? I can't see how this adapter is not included with the iPhone 5 box. (Insert "Steve would never allow this" joke).

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
So is the new cable gonna be included with the new iPhone 5? Or are you gonna have to buy it separate? I can't see how this adapter is not included with the iPhone 5 box. (Insert "Steve would never allow this" joke).

Clearly each device that comes with the new connector will be shipped with the appropriate cable/adaptor in the package.

The extra adaptors that they will sell will be for existing devices with the 30-pin that you'd like to convert to the new spec.

Long-story-short, people are getting worked up over nothing.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico

>.< Really? No, you're right. Apple is going to include the old USB cable then if you don't buy the adaptor or new cable then screw you, you don't get to charge or sync your new iPhone.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky

Of course a cable will be included. How else would you charge the thing?

Now, who knows if the adapter will be. Hopefully yes. If not, I'll be preordering one along with the iPhone 5 for my wife.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Clearly each device that comes with the new connector will be shipped with the appropriate cable/adaptor in the package.

The extra adaptors that they will sell will be for existing devices with the 30-pin that you'd like to convert to the new spec.

Long-story-short, people are getting worked up over nothing.

You're saying the adaptor is for old devices to be able to use new accessories and cable that use the new 9-pin dock? I thought the adaptor was to use devices with the new dock with old 30-pin accessories and cables.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Now I'm a bit confused.

Will this be called the "Dock Cable 5" or "Dock Cable 6"? Or maybe just "the new Dock Cable"?

Because the name of the item is by far the most important thing about this.

:) ;) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.