Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
You're saying the adaptor is for old devices to be able to use new accessories and cable that use the new 9-pin dock? I thought the adaptor was to use devices with the new dock with old 30-pin accessories and cables.

I believe the article says that it will allow older 30 pin accessories and cables to work with the new iPhone 5. This is how the MagSafe adapters work.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Too the ones saying it's too expensive, what, do you expect it to be $5? o_O And I'm sure that the cable itself won't be exclusive. And it's not an $18 profit! >.< They have much more to pay for aside from the parts.

People like to spew venom "just because." These types have to have something to bitch about or their lives are worthless. And they infest Macrumors.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
The article is somewhat misleading since it shows a CABLE in the picture and the article is about an ADAPTER. Meaning if you want to plug your new phone into a dock (e.g. stereo), you will need an adapter. The phone will come with a CABLE, not an ADAPTER.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Being a canny Scot .. I shall prove my money-saving skills are keenly honed ... by buying SIX of these cables and save myself double the .... pennies ... aye! They'll no' be havin' a sale, will they? :D

Attachments

• nt0713.jpg
    nt0713.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 90

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
You're saying the adaptor is for old devices to be able to use new accessories and cable that use the new 9-pin dock? I thought the adaptor was to use devices with the new dock with old 30-pin accessories and cables.

As of next week, all accessories that are produced will likely use the 9-pin dock connector, as it is the new standard going forward for Apple products.

The adaptors that Apple will sell will allow you to charge/sync a device that has the old 30-pin connector with the new 9-pin cable/dock.

While they may initially offer a 9-pin-to-30-pin adaptor, the goal will be to phase out the 30-pin in short order.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I believe the article says that it will allow older 30 pin accessories and cables to work with the new iPhone 5. This is how the MagSafe adapters work.

Oh, yes. I got really confused there for a second. Thanks for clearing that up, I'm sure I just misunderstood you or whoever I originally quoted (too lazy to look). That'd be counter productive to makes one that works the opposite way. Ha.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

He's saying the latter. There will be a new dock cable and power adaptor in every box. Apple will also sell a 9 pin to 30 pin adaptor, most likely separately, so you can use old docks with your new iPhone.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
What a bunch of whiny fracking babies! The phone will come with a cable so you can connect and charge your phone. If you want an adapter or another cable you buy it, just like ANY fracking thing else.

Crap! You buy a car spend ten's of thousands of dollars, you dont get a $5 USB cable to connect your stuff to it.

You buy a $2000 Stereo Amp and only get the power cable, no RCAs no Bi-Wires. You buy $10000 speakers and you still need to buy the cables.

It is a fact of life, get over it! Apple is not in the charity business.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Post a picture of a cable while talking about an adapter and notice how many people can't read. The adapter will be FROM the old cable, to the new port. $10 is reasonable. I've bought the $2 cables and adapters from china. They fall apart and are poorly made. It doesn't always pay to be cheap.

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
The article says that Apple will only be the sole initial supplier of the adapter.

I'm sure that once they post the specifications to MFi partners, there will be several manufacturers.

And I just checked, as of 3 minutes ago, they're still not posted yet ;)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
And one will be. No one ever said otherwise. You think Apple is going to sell a phone that can't be charged without an accessory that is sold separately? Come on.

No, a cable will be in the box. With that cable you don't need the adapter. That is for those with a speaker dock etc.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
What a bunch of whiny fracking babies! The phone will come with a cable so you can connect and charge your phone. If you want an adapter or another cable you buy it, just like ANY fracking thing else.

Right. But the question is, does Apple intend to make themselves the ONLY place you can buy one, at very high prices?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
This really takes the value out of bundling. Saving a whole dollar for buying 3 isn't supposed to be how it works.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Not bad selling a cheap USB Cable with white covering and grey writing for $19. $18 profit per sale.

Can understand them wanting to keep the exclusivity on the new connector though. Don't agree with it but can understand it.

are you kidding? you can get the current cables from amazon for $.80 each

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Right. But the question is, does Apple intend to make themselves the ONLY place you can buy one, at very high prices?

since these are just simple cables made for a penny each, there will be lots of copies soon for a lot less. i've never bought a replacement iphone cable at the ridiculous prices apple charges. and never had a problem with the extras i bought

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
just so they can make money:apple:

Everyone wants "thinner and lighter". To do that, you have to move forward with technology in the field of miniaturization so that the components are able to fit in a smaller spaces. As such, it is necessary for these types of transitions to take place.

My guess is that we're in for AirPlay enhancements that will largely render cable connections to audio/video devices useless. Also, as wireless charging becomes more prevalent, the type of cable required becomes less important.

In 5 years we'll all look back and laugh about having to connect our devices to any type of cable to do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.