Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Any news on what systems are unsupported?

I plan on trying to downloaded either way, but is my 2007 Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4gb ram 256mb VRAM too old?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I would imagine the system requirements will be the same as Lion and Mountain Lion. Basically you need a late 07 iMac or MBP or newer. If you still have an X1900 graphics card, you're out.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Anything that runs ML runs Mavericks as well or better.

I would imagine the system requirements will be the same as Lion and Mountain Lion. Basically you need a late 07 iMac or MBP or newer. If you still have an X1900 graphics card, you're out.

Cool. My laptop has NVIDIA and runs Mountain Lion well. Will give it go when it becomes available in the App Store.

depulse

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Europe
How are you supposed to download and install from a computer running Snow Leopard if the update is done using the App store which I can't access using my three Snow Leopard computers?

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
How are you supposed to download and install from a computer running Snow Leopard if the update is done using the App store which I can't access using my three Snow Leopard computers?

Running the latest Snow Leopard (10.6.8? 10.6.9?) is the minimum requirement to run App Store.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011

Try apple.com directly maybe...

depulse

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Europe
Running the latest Snow Leopard (10.6.8? 10.6.9?) is the minimum requirement to run App Store.

Exactly the problem. What is the solution? Mavericks is free, but to get it one still has to install the older versions which are not free. Or will Apple change this?

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
When you run the App Store link to Mavericks it says it's not available in my region yet.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
Exactly the problem. What is the solution? Mavericks is free, but to get it one still has to install the older versions which are not free. Or will Apple change this?

What? You said your machine is running Snow Leopard (10.6) which means you'd get the latest version as a software update for free. Then open App Store to get free Mavericks.

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
So where is it? It is not up yet.

Got it now. It took 30 minutes to download and almost 30 to install.

Last edited:

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007

10.6.8 is required, and a free update for Snow Leopard.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
My question: The keynote says that "If you're back on Snow Leopard (10.6), it's free".

My old school iMac, 2.16 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR 2 sdram, running Lion (10.7) could not handle Mountain Lion. It would not even allow me to download it. An older machine running Snow Leopard would CERTAINLY not be able to run Mountain Lion.

What is the point of saying you could upgrade from Snow Leopard for free, if those machines are not powerful enough to run Mavericks? UNLESS, Mavericks can run on the older machines that Mountain Lion could not run on...

Any thoughts?

I don't think so, I'm waiting also to see... I think they meant is free for people that didn't want to update, but could hardware wise.

I did install the mod ML w/ the forum mod and works better than Lion, it's great!

EDIT: Here is the hardware that can run it from apple.com so no you can't (http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/):
iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.