Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
iRise Sir Jonny. :D

You guys are so slow this morning. I can't believe I got in there first with this.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Oh yeah—I went there:

Attachments

• sir-ive_acduke.jpg
    sir-ive_acduke.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 78

hundleton1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
Wales UK
This is a great thing to see, our overseas friends my not fully understand what this is or what also is happening in the UK, unfortunately in the past 10 years its been handed out more to celebritys and actors more than the real achievers, mostly for political gain by both parties. however since the MP expenses crisis hopefully things have change slightly as things have changed.

This award should be going to people who have made a notable contrubition to the UK, whether thats a british company or a british person who has achieved in the world is irrelevant they have both increased the UK's profile, and damn do we need it, the UK is suffering very bad rite now, British private business have been sold to foreign buyers, manufacturing is declining and in the last 20 years the public sector has ballooned, add to than we have teenagers burning the streets saying they are treated bad because they can't afford plasma tv's and iPods that they deserve. now we have the massive public sector cuts watch are long over due, the high street is basically finished, retailers are going under every day, and the once british companies are closing down there UK facilities, however worse than this is young kids in schools when asked want to be a celebrity rather than an engineer, D grade parasites that have been in reality shows are held in higher regard than engineers and designers . what we need is to show young people the people like Jon Ive and James Dyson are the real deal, and can make a very tidy living from it as well.

Unless we can innovate our way out if this mess in 20 years the UK will be a very sad place indeed.

Well Deserved and well done Sir Jonathan Ive.

Penfold2711

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Well done Sir Jon all the years of hard work and attention to detail has paid off for you, As a Fellow from the same island nation as yourself its good to see you doing so well in the U.S.

All these people that try to dumb down the knighthood it is our tradition, yes he may not go on a crusade although he has conquered the world though his designs its an honour to be given such a reward just like the national medals you Americans receive.
Be happy for the bloke that has made us go Wow for so many years.

Keep up the good work Sir Jonathan Ives

kennyt72

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Chelsea, London, England
For the record ANY citizen from ANY country can be honoured with a KBE from the queen, it's only British citizens that are allowed to use the title 'Sir', but everyone who recieves this honour is entitled to put the letters KBE after their name.
Americans who have received the KBE include former president George Bush Senior, former Mayor of New York Rudolph Giuliani, film director Steven Spielberg and Microsoft's Bill Gates.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
And the BBC still couldn't resist a snipe at the iPhone 4 in their story :mad:

Anyway, congratulations Sir Jonathan Ive. Well deserved.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
Well congratulations to Jonathan Ive. Probably the designer of some of the most iconic pieces of technology in history. This award is well deserved, and I'm sure he and his family are very proud of this. It's good in these times of doom and gloom to have something positive.

I'm not sure why whenever something traditionally British is discussed that a certain portion of the American people feel the need the jump up onto their soap box about how Great Britain is 'lame' and all of its traditions and history are "'fin stupid".

To be honest, I'm quite surprised we haven't had some halfwit come out with 'Tea and crumpets' or 'get your teeth sorted'!

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Beat me to it kennyt72, I was going to post the same thing.

Also, any non-UK citizen who is awarded the KBE can use "Sir" if they take British citizenship (even dual nationality I believe). At least one American has done this. Can't remember his name - Stanton? - a Texas billionaire who became a citizen of the British Virgin Islands.

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
I guess this award is the best of the two worlds. He was awarded a nobility title based on his hard work and not on his blood.

mrbib

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2011
Congrats Sir Jonathan a well deserved honor.

Now are our new computers and devices going to say "Designed by Apple in California by a Knight" ? :D

Tombs

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Sutton, Surrey England
To be honest, the continued celebration of class & status of the royal family, the queen, and knights is nothing more than farce. As an outsider (i.e. non Brit), I think Brits often overdo it.

We Overdo it??? LOL, kettle, pot, pot kettle :rolleyes:

Well done Ives, well deserved and how proud I am to say as an Englishman its good to see a Brit abroad being acknowledged for ones achievements.

mondayriot

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Do any of you know the difference between Britain, The United Kingdom and England? Irrelevant but it goes to show the lack of knowledge before making comments. The Monarchy has next to no power, but has a lot of influence. Being knighted is a recognition and a tradition. A tradition first introduced hundreds of years before the Americas were even discovered. I agree, I think it is a bit lame (lol) but still, I'd love to be knighted, and so would you. Just be happy for the guy, and stop being jealous because you can't, and never will be knighted. Oh, and he's English, to be more precise. England and Britain aren't synonyms.

Tombs

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Sutton, Surrey England
Why all the discussion about the UK's class and honours systems? Debating the name of the award, just because it has 'British Empire' its title? Okay, so it harps back to a time of Kings, Queens, Knights and Crusades but a world without tradition would be a very dull world indeed.

This is simply the act of a country recognising and honouring one of its citizens (or subjects, as we are in the UK) for his achievements. So well done to Jony Ive - it's thoroughly deserved.

Well said Sir, exactly there seems to be a hell of a lot of jealously towards us Brits from some "young" countries on here....I wonder why? :p

----------

The sheer volume of arrogance, ignorance, insolence, and morbidly uneducated comments in this thread are an embarrassment to those who make them and to Americans in general, and detract from those who have been genuine in their questions and comments.

The terminology of a Knighthood does not mean you are any more important or part of any special club with exclusive permissions over anyone else. It's simply an acknowledgment from your nation that you have contributed to the world and that Britain is proud of you, your achievements, and what you've contributed.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who thinks that a Knighthood and any reference to the British "Empire" means that we Brits still believe we are, in fact, an Empire just shows up a complete lack of education and a massive degree of ignorance to the traditions of another nation. Every single Brit knows that the British Empire is no more, we were taught as much in Primary School in basic history, but giving Knighthoods to those from our nation of whom we are proud is not an indication of us trying to revive a dead Empire.

We're simply proud of a Brit doing well for himself on such a scale, contributing to the world via his designs and work, and recognising him as such with an honour.

SPOT ON that man!

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
Well said Sir, exactly there seems to be a hell of a lot of jealously towards us Brits from some "young" countries on here....I wonder why? :p

We just need to give our adolescent colonies room to express them selves. They'll all grow up in good time. ;)

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Do any of you know the difference between Britain, The United Kingdom and England? Irrelevant but it goes to show the lack of knowledge before making comments. The Monarchy has next to no power, but has a lot of influence. Being knighted is a recognition and a tradition. A tradition first introduced hundreds of years before the Americas were even discovered. I agree, I think it is a bit lame (lol) but still, I'd love to be knighted, and so would you. Just be happy for the guy, and stop being jealous because you can't, and never will be knighted. Oh, and he's English, to be more precise. England and Britain aren't synonyms.

You imply that he isn't British. Which he most defiantly is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.