Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Do any of you know the difference between Britain, The United Kingdom and England? Irrelevant but it goes to show the lack of knowledge before making comments. The Monarchy has next to no power, but has a lot of influence. Being knighted is a recognition and a tradition. A tradition first introduced hundreds of years before the Americas were even discovered. I agree, I think it is a bit lame (lol) but still, I'd love to be knighted, and so would you. Just be happy for the guy, and stop being jealous because you can't, and never will be knighted. Oh, and he's English, to be more precise. England and Britain aren't synonyms.

Are you serious? He is both English and British, just like I am Scottish and British. Nationality isn't something you just choose or make up.

He holds a British passport for crying out loud - yes, British, not English.

TheWarden

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
For our US friends who complain about Sir Jonathon Ive, I suppose giving him the US equivalent, the Presendial Medal of Freedom, is fine, or should that be scrapped as well? You can't have it both ways.

If you can't congratulate someone for being awarded with something they deserve, then don't say anything at all.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I'm not surprised that the U.S-resident members are taking a snipe at how we do things over here; it must seem somewhat 'old hat' to be giving out awards in the name of the monarchy.

However, a fine line exists between this and just being plain ignorant. Whilst I'm on the court that believes the royal family are just a bunch of sponges (and, in some areas of that family tree, completely out-of-touch), they bring a lot to the country outside their own controversial beings.

For a start, only they have the power to hand out such prestigious awards and for them to hold a value. They arrive with an established history - something that few other awards are recognised for.

In addition, whether you like the royal family or not, they bring tourism to the country and are always popular when they travel abroad for 'visits'.

Their are many aspects of the U.S I dislike, but I don't immediately bring them down when someone has good fortune. I'm really, really happy for Ive's and just hope he gets the recognition he deserves.

mondayriot

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Are you serious? He is both English and British, just like I am Scottish and British. Nationality isn't something you just choose or make up.

He holds a British passport for crying out loud - yes, British, not English.

Yes, you are British. There just seems to be a lot of confusion about what is what on here. Re-read what I said

Last edited by a moderator:

JimDut

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
Stafford, Staffs, UK
For our US friends who complain about Sir Jonathon Ive, I suppose giving him the US equivalent, the Presendial Medal of Freedom, is fine, or should that be scrapped as well? You can't have it both ways.

If you can't congratulate someone for being awarded with something they deserve, then don't say anything at all.

I'm annoyed at some of these comments, and as you've said above, I cannot help but wonder what the overall response would have been like if it had some form of US title... instead, we just have, what appears to be, a large number of uneducated people slagging off a very highly regarded British award for recognition of their service/ability/talent etc.

Shame.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
"My mail is the same color as yours is, pal. Or at least it was until the Queen started calling you 'Sir'. Excuse me before I lose my temper."
-- Gordon Gekko, Wall Street

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
To be honest, the continued celebration of class & status of the royal family, the queen, and knights is nothing more than farce. As an outsider (i.e. non Brit), I think Brits often overdo it.

Yes, its not like americans went bat **** crazy over the royal wedding or anything... oh wait....

I would like to add that im a republican and dont support the royal family, but it is a great honour to be offered a knighthood.

Last edited:

Cydonia

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Isle of Man
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

dinjin201 said:
Imagine what he could do to make armors simpler and more efficient if he designed his own armor! :D

I can almost see it.

Ive Industries.
Top class weapons and armor design.

Liquid Metal

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Well done! Makes me proud to be British! Does this mean we can say the UK was responsible for most of Apple's beautiful designs? Or is that pushing it? xD

:apple: forever

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
It'd be good for morale, at least.

"Did you see that new tank Sir Jonathan made? It's made out of a single piece of reinforced iron, and doesn't have any exposed rivets. Thing is sleek, man".

"Whoa. That just about makes up for Anthony Hopkins getting winged out on the front".

I don't plan on going to war any time soon but I would prefer a tank that can be dropped without cracking over one that looks nice.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Firstly, well done to Sir Ive. A well deserved award.

That being said (and I know I'm likely to get shot down for this) I dont think he deserves it anywhere near as much as several other people, who actually reside in the UK. I'd rather have seen a few people who truly make a difference in the UK get the award.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
cywyg1.jpg

"Wut's your bleedin game?"

Last edited by a moderator:

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Kings are born into wealth and power they don't deserve. Just look at all of the Nuts in the Middle East. They might not all have the title "King" but you get the idea.

Except we're talking about the UK. The monarch of the day is a figurehead, with no political power. It's pure ceremony. You may not like it, but this is the tradition and heritage of a country many of us call home. At the very least be respectful when discussing your dislike.

And Knights !? Please !....just a popularity contest held by one person...the King or Queen.

All a big load of crap

And here we see the ignorance. The UK award system recognises hundreds of people based on work they do for charity and industry. Anyone can make a nomination and it is investigated by a group of civil servants before recommendations are made to Her Majesty.

I suggest you take a look at the New Years Honour list in full before making such ridiculous comments.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_200708

It includes a school janitor, philanthropists, doctors and nurses, scientists and many more. It is the system of recognition our country uses and whilst it may have ancient roots, it's been updated to recognise anyone who is deserving.

----------

Firstly, well done to Sir Ive. A well deserved award.

That being said (and I know I'm likely to get shot down for this) I dont think he deserves it anywhere near as much as several other people, who actually reside in the UK. I'd rather have seen a few people who truly make a difference in the UK get the award.

Have you looked at the full list? It's not as if there's only one given out. Many deceiving deserving* people get it, and in his category there are few more deserving.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_200708

*edited for a particularly unpleasant auto-correct change

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.