Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Have you looked at the full list? It's not as if there's only one given out. Many deceiving people get it, and in his category there are few more deserving.
(My bold and emphasis)

Oh my, I have rarely seen a Freudian slip more appropriate than that one.

Made my morning afternoon… :)

And before you all get hot and bothered, no I don't mean Ive is undeserving, :rolleyes: I am referring to the likes of Gerald Ronson and Tory donor Paul Ruddock…

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Considering Rams' has gone on record saying Ive is one of the few to design products according to his (Rams) principles, I'd imagine he's probably pleased for Sir Jonathan.

I think both you and Rams (to his credit, imagine if he had acted like Apple has towards Samsung...) are a bit too modest about how inspiring Rams' work has been for Ives.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
(My bold and emphasis)

Oh my, I have rarely seen a Freudian slip more appropriate than that one.

Made my morning afternoon… :)

And before you all get hot and bothered, no I don't mean Ive is undeserving, :rolleyes: I am referring to the likes of Gerald Ronson and Tory donor Paul Ruddock…

The joys of auto-correct being added to Lion. Mea Culpa.

Political awards will always happen and whilst distasteful, shouldn't detract from the deserving on the list.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I think both you and Rams (to his credit, imagine if he had acted like Apple has towards Samsung...) are a bit too modest about how inspiring Rams' work has been for Ives.

Jonathan Ive has never hid his love of the work of Rams, nor how inspiring it is for him. You only have to look at the inclusion of his calculator in the original iPhone to see that.

Rams created a design language which Ive (and others) have used. Rams is happy with that - at least according to his interview in the Objectified movie.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
...what would we be without traditions, even if not everyone knows the history of them? It's a shame America is slowly losing it's traditions, let's hope other countries keep theirs and we come to our senses (I'm talking mostly of the loss of the spirit of the holidays in America). Good job Mr. Ive, congratulations.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Jonathan Ive has never hid his love of the work of Rams, nor how inspiring it is for him. You only have to look at the inclusion of his calculator in the original iPhone to see that.

Rams created a design language which Ive (and others) have used. Rams is happy with that - at least according to his interview in the Objectified movie.

Now you're being modest again. Ive has used more than just Rams' design language. And Rams has been very forgiving about it, which speaks volume about the man. He could have taken a different road. Suing, etc.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
*edit* Thanks everyone for downrating my comment. I didn't know Americans are supposed to know everything about Great Britain

Most people who want to know something take the time to research the subject themselves.

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
Well done Ive, and thoroughly deserved. Maybe now you can educate the world on how to pronounce aluminium...

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
Well deserved. He must be one of the youngest awarded the honor in modern British history.

To those slighting the award...it is probably more important in England - and by virtue of the fact most people around world recognize it, around the world, than our (the US') two highest honors, the Congressional Gold Medal and the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

What's a "snigger"? I'm dying to add it to my vocabulary...

I wanted to say you had carte glance in adding it to Urban Dictionary, but I was wrong:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snigger

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Knighthood is a cool tradition from the days of old, and is deeply rooted in this country's history. I'm not sure why everyone is being so negative toward it.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
So, taking from german designers is a wonderful tradition of design in the UK?

Just kidding, don't mess your pants. :)

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Glad the mood has become somewhat lighter last few posts because up until then, I thought we'd gone back 235 years to the war of independence. Instead just say congratulations Sir Jony, and crack open a bottle of something special because it's new years eve for crying out loud! Both sides of the Atlantic last time I looked. Happy new year one and all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.