Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
So maybe the nMP gets released next month? Hopefully at least a specific release date. Can't wait to see what all the final specs are.

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
my render farm's servers run 1.5 TB of ram each, this thing looks like a joke

good luck with your youtube movies...

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
So an 8 core MacPro 13 is about the same speed as a 12 core MacPro 10-12.

Don't forget 6.6" D x 9.9" H. Tiny. MacProNano indeed.

I guess pricing will be a interesting detail (since the 12 core Mac Pro's were stratospheric in prices), but overall my reaction is - eh, okay.

This new one isn't quite as fast as the top of line old one and you can't change out CPU's or add video cards and HD's internally etc. like you could before (where all the cables were kept inside a neat looking aluminum box) - but the new one looks really cool though.

Okay Mac Pro Cube...lets see what your pricing is.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Ahahaha, I forgot all about that mid-2012 revision.
original.jpg

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
That machine was running a 12-core Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 at 2.7 GHz, representing what would be a high-end model of the machine.

Today, a new Geekbench result that appears to be a second legitimate Mac Pro has appeared, this time running a lower-end 8-core Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 chip at 3.0 GHz.

E5-2697 costs $2614 and E5-1680 costs $1723 (Apple no doubt gets heavier discount). No a tremendous price difference, so if E5-1680 will be on the low-end configuration, I expect Mac Pro to start at around $4000 (since Mac Pros will have dual AMD FirePros).

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I am excited about the new Mac Pro and cannot wait long enough until it comes out.

One thing...those benchmark numbers are 32-bit numbers and not 64-bit numbers. They are also Geekbench 3, which scores lower on average than Geekbench 2. Also, the new Mac Pro is using 1867MHz RAM which factors into the score. The current Mac Pro uses 1333MHz RAM.

I do not think the "new" 8-core system is all faster than a current 2.93GHz or 3.06GHz 12-core machine, but I do think that the new 1-processor 8-core Mac Pro is faster than the older 8-core machines. No telling how fast the new 12-core will be, but Geekbench scores should be over 30,000.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
you must be rich if you have mac computer(s) for gaming.

Mom and dad might have good jobs. You never know.

Frankly, gamers whining about needing higher end GPUs and what not annoy the heck out of me. I would be embarrassed if the main driver for my computer purchase was my gaming needs.

AdamsMartin89

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2013
Mac Pro

Any word on an updated Display to match the new Mac Pro design? According to the buyers guide, it's been 743 days since an update.

I'm also wondering about the updated Display that will come out for the new Mac Pro. New spec bump on iMacs in the past few days. Didn't get an updated screen in a higher res, but I know it's not neeeed for the mass majority. Yet if they do release this on there next coming event with a revamped display all recent iMac buyers will be complaining. Anywho those specs are a great deal of computing power. I'm waiting on price details before I make up my mind by the end of this year.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Fairly in line with what to expect. Loses slightly to socket 1155 quad cores in single threaded performance, but performs about twice as good in multi-threaded jobs.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
are Pro users satisfied with new design ?

It's a beautiful, G4 Cube like design - but this Mac Pro user doesn't want a beautiful (non user replaceable?) CPU/GPU stack where I have to plug in external HD's etc. and the associated wires.

So no I'm not happy with the design as a replacement for my Mac Pro. To Replace an iMac with a beast of a machine it might be great - and maybe that's the market its targeted at (high-end home users that can spring for more than an iMac).

I may still get one of these (sure as heck wait for them to be out and see if there are hardware issues that need resolving during the first couple of months, since its so different), but I may just get a used later model Mac Pro Aluminum model instead where I can put my HD's in nice and neat and no extra cables & externalities (got enough already). JMHO...

I'm also wondering about the updated Display that will come out for the new Mac Pro. New spec bump on iMacs in the past few days. Didn't get an updated screen in a higher res, but I know it's not neeeed for the mass majority. Yet if they do release this on there next coming event with a revamped display all recent iMac buyers will be complaining. Anywho those specs are a great deal of computing power. I'm waiting on price details before I make up my mind by the end of this year.

Good point here, this would be the ideal market area (very high end) to bring retina resolution displays to the desktop (non laptop) and I'm sure they'll be expensive. ;-)

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
This could be the very last generation for the ol' Mac Pro as a standalone desktop device. As internet bandwidth improves expect to see uber-thin clients off-shoring cpu work to data centers.

We work & play under iClouds with Thunderbolts.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Gotta admit, one reason I love MacRumors are the witty, playful comments. Some are pure genius ("That's just plane wrong" on iPhone "Maps" guiding users onto a runway was hysterical).

On topic, care to guess-timate entry level costs? Unless Apple has an arsenal of discounted parts, known specs alone suggest entry level prices beyond current systems.

- Dual AMD Fire Pro 6GB Graphics
- PCIe 3.0
- PCIe SSD Boot Volume

Add the expense of placing internal drives in expensive Thunderbolt 2.0 chassises:

- 4 x SATA II HDD's
- 1x LG Blu-Ray Burner
- 1x 256GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G

I'm guess-timating $3K+ for basic systems.

Main concern: "With configurations offering up to 12 cores of processing power"

Evidence points to one processor, offering only 4 DIMM slots and a heavy reliance on its GPU's. Three 4K displays are impressive, yet 4K is jumping the gun a bit: expensive, ISP's can't support the large data w/o developed compression, adoption [rate] still questionable ( re: Blu-Ray vs HD battle).

Pro's are split on external storage; increased wired devices negate point of a small platform, built-in components lack GPU and PCIe expandability, 1 processor.

davidbrummy

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Apart from boasting rights it seems to me that the need for one of these machines is minimal considering the cost will likely be for base entry probably 2.5k-3k.

So at this point I am sure you are calling me an idiot and know nothing about the needs of developers, gamers etc etc. BTW I am a developer with 20+ years now.

I have one of the old Mac Pro's 2008 and I love it. A good desktop machine now 5 years old which I have 4TB storage in and 16 MB memory. I use as a server. However the Mac Mini with external storage is a much cheaper way to go these days if you want a desktop. It has enough memory for most people and can support two monitors.

I have two Macbook pros that although their storage is limited I can hook up an external drive and my new one can support three external monitors. A 4 TB drive is now on Amazon for $200 or less.

If you roll out the argument about gaming then go and buy a console. Much cheaper option and if that is your thing then why not buy the dedicated hardware.

If you run a server farm then these things can't be racked and most people don't run server farms anymore.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
This could be the very last generation for the ol' Mac Pro as a standalone desktop device. As internet bandwidth improves expect to see uber-thin clients off-shoring cpu work to data centers.

We work & play under iClouds with Thunderbolts.

They wouldn't have bothered with this radical redesign if it was the last generation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.