Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
This could be the very last generation for the ol' Mac Pro as a standalone desktop device. As internet bandwidth improves expect to see uber-thin clients off-shoring cpu work to data centers.

We work & play under iClouds with Thunderbolts.

God, I hope not. :(

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Great to see some Mac news on the front page of Mac Rumors. :)

My ancient Mac Pro 1,1 has been running like a Windows machine today. It's obviously picked up the vibes that it'll soon be in the computer graveyard (the loft) along with assorted PC's, an Amiga 4000, and old Amiga 500, Commodore 64 and ZX-81 parts that I never got around to chucking out.

Come on Apple, release the Darth Mac!

I agree with a previous comment - I can't see it coming out until Mavericks is with us and that'll be another 4 weeks (at least) and even then it could be another month before we can get our hands on the new Pro.

My Mac Pro 1,1 will no doubt be running slower than a Commodore Vic 20 by then. :p

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Apart from boasting rights it seems to me that the need for one of these machines is minimal considering the cost will likely be for base entry probably 2.5k-3k.

So at this point I am sure you are calling me an idiot and know nothing about the needs of developers, gamers etc etc. BTW I am a developer with 20+ years now.

It seems that the only time I encounter developers who wouldn't be happy with as much performance as they could possibly get, they're on Macrumors bashing the Mac Pro.

There is no such thing as overkill. Nothing is ever 100% responsive or 100% satisfactory. No matter how fast a Mac gets, Eclipse IDE will spend 30 seconds frozen up doing something, and you'll wish you could shave 10 seconds off that.

A fully decked out Mac mini is a nice developer machine, but it's (maybe) $1000 cheaper than a much higher spec'd 2013 Mac Pro.

jblongz

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
NYC
New design works for me. I use external thunderbolt devices anyway to transport data to other rigs at various studios. The photo is over-the-top. You'll be able to have the same or greater amount of internal storage depending on your budget. The only real loss is optical drive...and just like we got over the loss of serial cables and RJ11, we'll get over the DVD era too.

I don't know any film producers, composers, or scientists who transport data on DVD in this age. Everything revolves around portable drives and cloud storage. There are rare cases when products (like those from EastWest) require optical devices...thats where a $20 usb DVD drive comes in handy...then, for the rest of its uselessness, back to the closet.

GO :apple:!

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
my render farm's servers run 1.5 TB of ram each, this thing looks like a joke

good luck with your youtube movies...

The largest RAM DIMMs available are 32 GB. So your servers have 48 memory slots?

The only server arrangement in the world that could do this is a completely maxed out AMD Magny-Cours arrangement, because it supports distributed shared memory with 4 CPU sockets and 12 DIMMs per CPU.

Sounds legit :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
This thing looks like a beast, but I just can't get behind the new design. Isn't the best thing about the Pros is the ability to easily add/swap drives? Or easily pop in a new card?

My 'early 2008' MP is still humming along - but when the time comes to replace it I'm just not sure which direction I'll go.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
E5-2697 costs $2614 and E5-1680 costs $1723 (Apple no doubt gets heavier discount). No a tremendous price difference, so if E5-1680 will be on the low-end configuration, I expect Mac Pro to start at around $4000 (since Mac Pros will have dual AMD FirePros).

I'm afraid to admit you may be on the money. Add in costs for external Thunderbolt chassises for current Mac Pro internal drives (4x SATA II HDDs, 256GB SSD and an LG Blu-Ray burner), $5K-6K US is pushing it even for pro's. This won't win back many OS X users who jumped ship due to Apple's neglect, it may push more away into Windows or Hackint0sh systems.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
It really annoys me to hear people whine about the cost of these machines. First, if you've wanted a new one it's not like you haven't had YEARS to save. Second, they're called a MacPro for a reason...Pro, as in "Professional." Some of us actually use this machine for our livelihood. These machines are the workhorses that get our jobs done quickly and efficiently day-in and day-out. Finally, whatever the cost is, it's easily made back many times over by the job it helps us do and the productivity that is gained with it's speed and stability.

To borrow a pharmaceutical term, if you are using this for gaming it's an "off label" use. You are not the target market. These machines are primarily designed for creative, scientific and IT-related professionals. So, if you choose to use these machines for purposes other than their intended use cases and then whine about, you're not going to find a lot of sympathy here.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my Mac Pro and generating some solid income with it. :cool:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It really annoys me to hear people whine about the cost of these machines. First, if you've wanted a new one it's not like you haven't had YEARS to save. Second, they're called a MacPro for a reason...Pro, as in "Professional." Some of us actually use this machine for our livelihood. These machines are the workhorses that get our jobs done quickly and efficiently day-in and day-out. Finally, whatever the cost is, it's easily made back many times over by the job it helps us do and the productivity that is gained with it's speed and stability.

To borrow a pharmaceutical term, if you are using this for gaming it's an "off label" use. You are not the target market. These machines are primarily designed for creative, scientific and IT-related professionals. So, if you choose to use these machines for purposes other than their intended use cases and then whine about, you're not going to find a lot of sympathy here.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my Mac Pro and generating some solid income with it. :cool:

It is legit to complain about the cost when the only viable option is Intel.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This machine is for the future, not the past. I want to see the OpenCL benchmarks! And read/write tests on the new SSDs. Any time a Mac Pro thread gets to 3 pages without mentioning OpenCL or GPGPU, we know people are missing the forest for the trees.

P.S. I love how for every one pro who would truly need a huge amount of external devices, there are a hundred white knights who have NO such need, bravely leaping to defend them from evil Apple :p

The two things Apple should NEVER do if they want to keep people happy: keep things the same, or change them.

P.P.S. I'm going to make "real manly gamers" furious by gaming on my Mac Pro :) Without the bother of Boot Camp OR buying a separate machine (console included) :) All that work power IS going to get to play as well!

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
Have you looked on the mac app store? Top selling apps are always games. People don't buy macs anymore for productivity. They buy them to game on apparently.

If a subscription to Creative Cloud was sold through the App Store, I wonder if that would be the top app.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Oh, you can count on that. This is Apple we're talking about. I suspect they will also announce a 4K cinema display at the same time. The price will surely cause heart attacks...

The Cube was inexpensive compared to Xeon.

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011

Thank you. I constantly have to explain this to friends. I spent the money I did on my MBP for a reason; it gets the job done and it does it well.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
It really annoys me to hear people whine about the cost of these machines. First, if you've wanted a new one it's not like you haven't had YEARS to save. Second, they're called a MacPro for a reason...Pro, as in "Professional." Some of us actually use this machine for our livelihood.

Stop there a moment. Yes, it is a system many depend on for their living, that does not mean we should wait 3+ years for a smaller desktop system with limited internal storage, swapping and upgradability for what appears to be a much higher price point. Apple has already lost a great deal of the professional market after ditching their stellar and well regarded 3 tiered anti-glare CCFL LCD's for 1 iMac based LCD LED riddled with known quality issues, lack of a serious update for years, and pushing out Blu-Ray. The film industry/professionals still depend on Blu-Ray as finished projects far exceed the ability for "cloud"/internet use (I chucked when someone suggested this). Perhaps we should give our clients external drives for completed projects? Actual pro's have every right to justify concerns, dismissing them as "whining" either means you are not in this market and/or lack the knowledge necessary for objective criticism and concern.

Lastly, whining about such comments is getting tired. Either add something genuine to the debate or move along.

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
i figure i'll just hollow out an old Mac Pro or SGI box and put the new Mac Pro and all of it's attachments in there. it's the hot rodder in me.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
If only they would have made it just a little big bigger to fit a couple of internal drives... I would have been happy even if they were 2.5" drives...

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Can you use Migration Assistant is the SSD is small and the Users directory is in another drive ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.