Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maui19

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2007
I was just looking through my ATT contract and it states the upgrade fee is $17. I mentioned this to the CSR and the guy was shocked. I didn't complete the transaction, but those of you who aren't getting the fee waived should check your contract (available online) to see what your upgrade fee should be.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
ATT chat stated that I have hit my cap on ATT courtesy adjustments. They said they could only make billing error corrections on my account.

I am up to about 6 adjustments so far this year but there have been 5 phone purchases on the account also.

Anyone else get this?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
No fees charged as of yet :), just got my next month bill, but since I was in mid month for my contract when I go the 5S I guess I will have to wait until November to see if they charge me the fee or did you guys get the fees with the iPhone price?

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
AT&T refused to waive my upgrade fee no matter what I said. Oh well, I tried.

Try again. Might get another rep feeling nice.

----------

No fees charged as of yet :), just got my next month bill, but since I was in mid month for my contract when I go the 5S I guess I will have to wait until November to see if they charge me the fee or did you guys get the fees with the iPhone price?

It was on my bill for this month and when it was waived I logged into my account and it was gone.

rockalittle85

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
Miami, FL
Thanks, I'll try again. It doesn't help that I'm frustrated paying for a $36 upgrade fee when I haven't even received my phone yet. I know it's their policy but still.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
I switched from Sprint to AT&T and incurred $280 in ETF's when I did. I got on AT&T's live chat, told them my story - bam, credited for $72 as a "welcome to the family" courtesy :)

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
I ordered through apple.com on the last day of my billing cycle and the upgrade fee was on my bill. Don't know when exactly I will receive the phone and yet I have been billed like most others.

Contacted AT&T and they waived $18.00 and informed me that if I canceled my order with Apple and placed an order with AT&T, they will waive the whole $36.00 upgrade fee.

Not a bad option, except that it will be another 2 months from now before I see my new phone.

Last edited:

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
I had to call AT&T about some other minor issues with my bill and figured I would also ask to have the upgrade fees waived for the 2 lines I just upgraded, but the rep would not budge. While she was working on my other issues, I started an online chat session, and the chat rep waived the fees before I was even off the phone with the first rep.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Just got mine waived saved 72 dollars. At first they told me everyone gets charged an activation fee, then i said i didn't realize it was going to cost me 72 dollars to renew two; 2 year contracts. Then they were able to waive the fees.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
When I asked my rep about the fee, she said it was already removed from my account. Is that because I bought the phone through the Apple Store?

I didn't ask prior, but indicated it was not there.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I chatted online last week about getting the $72 fees for 2 upgrades waived and the lady online said there was nothing they could do and everyone gets charged that fee.

So I then called and spoke to a lady that said the same thing and then finally said she could give me a $25 credit to help out with the charges but that's all she could do.

I just got done chatting with a guy online and he basically said the same thing about the upgrade fees being charged to everyone. I said something about being a long time customer and excellent payment history and he said he would see what he could do. He came back and said he could waive one of my two upgrade fees.

So I got a $25 credit for one fee and got the other fee waived so that's good enough for me!:D

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
It worked for me in their chat room, I told them that it didn't make sense that I would be charged ANYTHING for signing a new 2 year contract, especially since I was activating online.

I was prepared to tell them I had other options if they wouldn't budge, but they said because I was a long time customer, they would do it this one time.. just like when they did it for the 4S it was a "one time"..

I think it's absurd they do this, but all's well that ends well.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
AT&T is theodicy loudly awesome about crediting people.

They recently gave me $86 and change for asking about some fees that I legitimately incurred (about $10 out of country calls on another line).

I've had my upgrade fee credited every year. They're awesome. One reason that keeps me with AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.