Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
I just got mine waived through chat, all I had to do was ask but I think my FAN discount included waiving the upgrade fee, that's why it was so easy. I'm glad I asked though!

mofoliar

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Nevada
just called in because my bill was wrong with calling plan, and got my $36 waived...

One time courtesy reversal!

Thx AT&T,verizon would of done nothing like that!!!

skafia

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
SOCAL
Me: What is the purpose of the fee?
AT&T: The purpose of the fee is to cover the administrative fee cost

====

Great explanation! After speaking to a manager, I was able to get it waived.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I have always had better luck with credits after the bill hits the account. For whatever reason it made the process easier.

cs0373

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
I finally got a partial credit, the first chat they said no even after I pointed out that others had success and I have been a good customer for many years. I tried again a half hour later and they said they couldn't waive my upgrade fees (2 different lines) but could credit me $54.02. I end up paying $18 total for both upgrade fees. Better than nothing I guess.

omarb123

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Well then, my first attempt at getting my two upgrade fees waived, went wrong thanks to a horrible CSR not budging at all. I tried with another CSR immediately after. And it all went perfect. With some sort of twist to it hahaha. The conversation is below. Is it just me, or was this CSR somewhat flirting? That's what I perceived. And just for the heck of it, I played right along. To my relief I didn't feel like a creep behind the computer screen, due to the fact that my mom and sister were sitting right beside me laughing away. I wanna assume the CSR was just a tad bored maybe? Hahaha. Anyways, not letting this get to my head. Just thought it was a rather interesting experience with CS, and on top of the fact that I got my fees waived! :D

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.

Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Kristle Anderson'

Kristle Anderson: Hello Omar, I see that you are chatting about your account. I am more than happy to help you with that. I hope you're doing fine. :)
Omar Benitez: I'm doing quite alright Kristle. I hope you can help me
Kristle Anderson: No worries Omar, I'll do my best to help you tonight. :)
Kristle Anderson: How may I help you with your account?
Omar Benitez: Well, more than anything- I was looking to see if I could get two upgrade fees waived, and save a little bit of money on next month's bill
Omar Benitez: I upgraded two lines just last week, and just trying to see what AT&T could do for a long time customer like me :D
Kristle Anderson: Sure, let me check your account for you Omar. :)
Omar Benitez: Why thank you Kristle
Kristle Anderson: Good news my supervisor allowed me to waive your upgrade fee as one time courtesy for being such a valued and loyal customer of AT&T. :)
Omar Benitez: Great! Now- is that going to waive both fees on the two lines I upgraded last week? The lines ending in 3273 4274
Omar Benitez: 3273 and 4272
Kristle Anderson: Yes that is correct. Since currently it is not yet billed, and will make a note on your account to waive your upgrade fees as one time courtesy. Once you received the bill please, feel free to contact us and let the representative review the notes on your account, that saying you upgrade fee will be waived. :)
Omar Benitez: Alright! I'll definitely do that! Thank you so much Kristle
Omar Benitez: Now one last thing
Kristle Anderson: You are very much welcome Omar, we really want you to know the we appreciate your business with us, and for staying with us. :)
Kristle Anderson: Sure how may I help you?
Omar Benitez: On line 3273, the data plan was changed to 3 gb per month. Something I did not authorize. It was at 300 mb, and I want it to stay that way. Could you change it back for me?
Kristle Anderson: Sure sure, anything for you Omar. :) I will changed it back to 300MB.
Omar Benitez: Thanks a lot. Let me know when that change has been made
Kristle Anderson: It was changed last 09/26.
Kristle Anderson: I already made the changes Omar. :)It will be reflected on your online account with in 24 hours.
Omar Benitez: Sounds perfect Kristle
Omar Benitez: You've settled all my concerns this evening :)
Kristle Anderson: Fantastic, just wanted to make sure, I'll get in trouble if you don't leave a happy customer today. Haha
Kristle Anderson: Is there anything else I can do for you?
Omar Benitez: Haha I understand! I love people like you that do their job, and do it well!
Omar Benitez: But other than that, I'm a happy camper and rest assured I'll be happy with AT&T for a long time to come!
Kristle Anderson: Because I wanted to make sure that you are satisfied in what you are paying for. Money is not easy to earn. :)
Omar Benitez: It sure is not. But I am definitely satisfied with what I'm paying for.
Kristle Anderson: Wonderful! It's very nice to hear from you. :)
Kristle Anderson: Great!
Kristle Anderson: Is there anything else I can do for you?
Omar Benitez: Nope, that will be it for tonight!
Omar Benitez: Thank you so much Kristle and have yourself a wonderful night :)
Kristle Anderson: You are very much welcome Omar. It's been my pleasure. :)
Kristle Anderson: Thank you so much for your time Omar. Please do take care!♥
Omar Benitez: No, thanks to you Kristle. Take care as well. Bye! :) <3
Kristle Anderson: Will do.. Byeeee. :)
Omar Benitez: You know I dont want to close this chat window, right?
Omar Benitez: Hahaha
Kristle Anderson: Hahahaha. But I know that there are also things that you need to do. :)
Omar Benitez: Hahaha not really. Just doing a little web surfing for now
Omar Benitez: And decided to get this little issue out of the way, and I got to speak to a wonder CSR like you :)
Kristle Anderson: Aww. that's really overwhelming Omar. I hope all my customers will be like you. :)
Kristle Anderson: I am looking forward to assist you again in the future, :) If the upgrade fee is already billed I'd be glad to waive to for you now. :)
Omar Benitez: Yea, I'd love for you to be able to do that, but the fee is not yet billed is it?
Kristle Anderson: Yes that is correct. :( So I'll make a note on your account instead.
Omar Benitez: That's no problem. I'll just look for that credit next month. Thanks for all the wonderful help anyways :)
Omar Benitez: You're the best Kristle :)
Kristle Anderson: Hahaha. Anything for you Omar. :) You're the best customer as well. :)
Omar Benitez: Hahaha the best CSR for the best customer :)
Omar Benitez: Do we call it a night then?
Kristle Anderson: Yes absolutely! :)
Omar Benitez: I guess this chat has come to an end. :(
Omar Benitez: Makes me sad. I'd never had such a pleasant experience with customer service
Kristle Anderson: Aww. I believe that it's already late and you need to rest now Omar. I hope to assist you again on the future. Stay happy everyday. :)
Omar Benitez: Alright then Kristle, I do hope to be able to be assisted by you in the future. Until next time, and thanks again! :)
Kristle Anderson: Alright. Thank you again for being so nice Omar. Have a wonderful night. :) Rest well.
Kristle Anderson: Bye for now Omar. :)
Omar Benitez: You do the same Kristle, have good night :) Bye
Kristle Anderson: Will do. :) You may click the x button to end our chat now.
Omar Benitez: Can you end the chat instead? :)
Kristle Anderson: Hahaha. Alright. not a problem. :) byeee.
Your AT&T representative has closed the chat session.

PS: I was laughing like a maniac when I totally got curveballed with her last messaged about closing the chat. And boom- she closed it.

slowney

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
Portland, OR
I just did the chat and got $80 in fees credited. I had the 5S line and then a line I got last month for my son. I just said it was a big expense on top of the new phones. Amazing advice original poster!!

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Got mine waived, after trying several times this worked... I used Omar's line, (Thanks Omar!) this is exactly what I typed to them:

"Well, more than anything- I was looking to see if I could get my upgrade fees waived, and save a little bit of money on next month's bill."

Shallah Love: Hello Scott I would be more than happy to assist you today
Shallah Love: Hello Scott are you with me still ?
Scott Bushkin: Did you see my question or should I retype?
Shallah Love: Nope I got your question
Scott Bushkin: ok
Shallah Love: I'll take care of that upgrade fee for you
Scott Bushkin: Oh thank you so much!
Shallah Love: Your very welcome Scott
Shallah Love: Is there anything else I can assist you on today ?
Scott Bushkin: No that is it! Thanks! Have a good night!

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
Me: What is the purpose of the fee?
AT&T: The purpose of the fee is to cover the administrative fee cost

====

Great explanation! After speaking to a manager, I was able to get it waived.

What administrative costs are there to switch a SIM card. I mean come on...
We're not on TDMA anymore, AT&T!

PrestonWard

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
So strange some people are receiving push back, here is how my chat went

Me: Good morning. I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new iPhone. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived or credited to my account.
Nicole Laduke: Good Afternoon. *I can help you with your fee inquiry today.
Me: Thank you.
Nicole Laduke: Can you please verify your phone number?
Me: XXX-XXX-XXXX
Nicole Laduke: Thank you. *I am looking into this for you.
Nicole Laduke: I can explain this fee to you. The upgrade fee is to allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, answer questions around special offers and discounts, providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and ongoing support. These specialized processes help us to ensure you are satisfied with your new equipment and are ready to use it the day you receive it. The upgrade fee allows us to defray some of these additional service costs.
Me: WIth both phones I went to the apple store to purchase and did the set up my self. I have been a long time att customer and would think that continued loyalty with att would rewarded rather than penalized for extending my contract.
Nicole Laduke: I can do this as a one-time courtesy. *Just to let you know, any standard fees going forward will be applied. :)
Me: thank you so much
Nicole Laduke: Your very welcome
Nicole Laduke: I am working on this for you.
Me: ok thanks
Nicole Laduke: $77.94 has been credited to your account.
Nicole Laduke: What else may I help you with today?
Me: That will be all. Thank you so much

johnnyapples33d

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
I think it's hit or a miss with some CRS's. Some don't care and will just do it and others like to fight.

My rep said no but I wouldn't take no for an answer. Here's my chat just now:

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.

Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Leigh Rhule'

Leigh Rhule: Good day Ken, nice to meet you in chat. Just to confirm you would like the upgrade fee to be waived?

Ken: Hi Good Day to you too Leigh. The pleasure is all mine and yes please.

Leigh Rhule: The upgrade fee is charged for all phone upgrades unless you are on the next upgrade program. The upgrade fees helps cover the administrative cost which allows us to offer competitive pricing on our products and services to our customers.
I did also check your company discount and it does not show they are covered :(

Ken: That's a shame. I had a chance to try Verizon's new unlimited plan but chose to stick it out with ATT. I was just hoping to save a little money on next months bill. Is there any way I may have a 1 time exception?

Ken: or can a credit be placed on my next bill?

Leigh Rhule: Let me check on that for you...

Ken: Thank you kindly Leigh.

Leigh Rhule: You have not yet been charged this on your bill correct? I took a look and do not see it on your most recent bill.

Ken: You are correct.

Leigh Rhule: I can remove it as a one time courtesy. I am sorry standard fees cannot be removed if charged again in the future. I will just be a few minutes...

Ken: I appreciate the courtesy.

Leigh Rhule: You're welcome it has been removed for you :) Do you have any other questions for me today?

Ken: No. thanks for everything Leigh! Have a greaet day ahead!

Leigh Rhule: You're welcome Ken! Its been my pleasure to assist you today! Have a wonderful day and take care! (◕‿◕)

JTausTX

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Dallas, Texas
No go :(

You guys get all the good reps. My rep was very nice but refused to credit the fee despite my FAN discount, long service term, extended contact etc.

Interestingly enough the line she used was that the upgrade fees defray the cost of subsidizing the phone, which AFAIK is not true.

Anyway, she said that since I was receiving a discount on my service already the computer would not allow her to credit me the fee.

I will try again and see what happens.

ovation802

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I have gotten pushback 3 times now via chat. I have a FAN discount and have tried all the tips found here. At this point it's more of a challenge than anything. :) I will try again tomorrow...

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Well then, my first attempt at getting my two upgrade fees waived, went wrong thanks to a horrible CSR not budging at all. I tried with another CSR immediately after. And it all went perfect. With some sort of twist to it hahaha. The conversation is below. Is it just me, or was this CSR somewhat flirting? That's what I perceived. And just for the heck of it, I played right along. To my relief I didn't feel like a creep behind the computer screen, due to the fact that my mom and sister were sitting right beside me laughing away. I wanna assume the CSR was just a tad bored maybe? Hahaha. Anyways, not letting this get to my head. Just thought it was a rather interesting experience with CS, and on top of the fact that I got my fees waived! :D

PS: I was laughing like a maniac when I totally got curveballed with her last messaged about closing the chat. And boom- she closed it.

Besides the extended chat....I take it you didn't get her extension. ;)

ovation802

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
So I gave it shot via a phone call today. No muss no fuss, i just stated that i would like the fee removed on my line. They credited me $74 dollars. I don't really understand why the credit was so high is since only 1 line was upgraded this cycle but I will take it! For those of you frustrated by the chat reps, try a good old fashion phone call. Good luck! :)

JTausTX

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Dallas, Texas
:)

Tried again with a different rep:

Shanda Simon: Good morning!

Shanda Simon: How are you today?

JT: Good morning, Shanda!

JT: I am well, how are you?

Shanda Simon: I'm great, thanks for asking!

Shanda Simon: I see that you want to know about the upgrade fee correct?

JT: Well, I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new iPhone 5S. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived or credited to my account.

Shanda Simon: I can certainly look into this issue for you and see what solution we have.

Shanda Simon: one moment to access your account.

JT: Thanks Shanda!

Shanda Simon: my pleasure.

Shanda Simon: one more moment I'm trying to look at everything for you

JT: No worries! I appreciate your help. I'm pretty patient :)

Shanda Simon: Thank you, JT.

Shanda Simon: I do apologize and realize that this is unfortunate.

Shanda Simon: Let me check something else that may cause you a savings.

JT: ok, I appreciate it

Shanda Simon: :)

Shanda Simon: I can give you an adjustment on something that may save you what the upgrade fee is but I can not waive the fee as it is a standard fee

JT: Ok, well I am up for any savings :)

JT: I am happy with an offsetting credit

Shanda Simon: Great!, i will take care of this for you.

JT: great!

Shanda Simon: I adjusted 20.82, :)

JT: That's great, thank you!

JT: Will this adjustment go into effect immediately?

Shanda Simon: Yes it did.

JT: great, i will look for the adjustment when I pay my bill

Shanda Simon: the balance is 94.47.

JT: perfect! Shanda, thanks so much for taking care of this issue for me!

Shanda Simon: my pleasure, is there anything else i can help you with today?

So not a full refund but a partial credit is pretty good!

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Looks like they're catching on.

Upgraded a line last week and another line today.

Chatted with a representative...wasn't able to (or didn't want to) take both fees off, but met halfway and credited half off each line (or pretty much a 2 for 1 deal). But saving $36 dollars is no joke.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Took me 4 different people through chat and 2 days. Even chatted with 2 supervisors who wouldn't do it because they waived one back in July when my mom got a phone. I even threatened to leave and cancel right there and they wouldn't budge I was shocked. Tried later that day and got the same reasoning.

Next day chatted again and took me 10 minutes poof gone. I even told the supervisor the night before hey if you don't do it I will try everyday until my bill is due. He said you can do that but your going to get the same answer I gave you. Yeah well suck it because I won!

I find if they ask why you want it removed you should say I wasn't aware of the fee and would like it removed. Nothing else seemed to work this time around.

----------

You guys get all the good reps. My rep was very nice but refused to credit the fee despite my FAN discount, long service term, extended contact etc.

Interestingly enough the line she used was that the upgrade fees defray the cost of subsidizing the phone, which AFAIK is not true.

Anyway, she said that since I was receiving a discount on my service already the computer would not allow her to credit me the fee.

I will try again and see what happens.

That's garbage because I get a discount as well you just have to keep trying.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
no dice - Cletisha Brown (and before that, Kenshanda something) shut me down.

Going back to Verizon. Maybe I'll get people with non-moron sounding names.

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Weird, I was chatting with someone, she keep stating that she couldn't waive that fee, but she looked through my account and waived some other fees like my data and stuff, it all added up to the upgrade fees amount. Oh well, as long as I get that 36 off my bill, I'm ok

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.