Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phillyphil0302

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
NYC
Had no problem getting upgrade fee credited today :)

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.
Welcome! You are now chatting with '** ***** *****'
** ***** *****: Hey Philip, thank you for chatting with me today. I will be glad to look over your bill to see what exactly is going on today.
Philip : Thank you
** ***** *****: Philip, I do see that you made a payment of $173.59 on 9/23/13 is the last payment I am seeing on your account.
** ***** *****: Correction.
** ***** *****: One moment, I am looking at the wrong bill I do apologize.
Philip : No problem
** ***** *****: I do see that you have a $36.00 Upgrade fee for line 0000.
Philip : Didn't know I had to pay an upgrade fee to commit to another 2 years with att
** ***** *****: Yes, when you upgrade you would have to agree to the Upgrade charge 3 different times to ensure the customer is aware of the upgrade charge.
Philip : I ordered my phone from Apple.com and there was no mention of an upgrade fee
** ***** *****: Please give me one moment to see what we are able to do today.
Philip : Thank you
** ***** *****: Philip, I do have to inform you that when you Upgrade or new activation's there are standard fees that apply, I have went ahead and removed that Upgrade charge from your account today as a 1 Time Customer Courtesy credit today (if you do upgrade in the nearby future you will be charged that upgrade fee).
Philip : Thank you very much for that
** ***** *****: You are very Welcome, I do work extremely hard to ensure that every customer I speak with leaves the chat with me Happy & feeling that I have done the best that I am able to do and more.
** ***** *****: For that is my Supervisor & I personal goal.
Philip : You've done exactly that and more
** ***** *****: Awesome.
** ***** *****: Will there be anything else that I can assist you with today?
Philip : No, you've addressed all my concerns for today
Philip : Thanks again, ** ***** *****
** ***** *****: Great.. have a Great Day Philip & you are more than Welcome :)
Philip : Thank you, and have a wonderful day!

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
AT&T get your upgrade fees waived.

I got 2 $25 credits from AT&T.

The upgrade fee is 100% profit for them, it's such a ******** fee.

Last edited by a moderator:

CBSubliminal

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
Florida
Chat is the way to go. I got two 36.00 upgrade fees waived this year, and one last year. I been with AT and T a long time, and have a company discount.

tgmn

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2013
Arizona
Chatted with someone yesterday. After some persuasion and butt kissing, he told me he would have his manager look into it and they would call me back today. Still waiting for that phone call...

Cndnmax

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Tried calling and using the chat. Unable to get the upgrade fee waived. I even stared I would be closing my account and going to tmobile and they didn't budge.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
FCC have to investigate the suspicious business practice..... Oh.. Wait.... They are on vacation.

My $36 fee is waived today. I chatted with at&t and he told it's a fee to support a customer to choose a phone, explain, and activate it. :eek:. I answered I chose the phone myself, I hadn't bothered any at&t persons, and I activated it myself. :D. He agreed.

Edit) I'm using at&t for 6 years and on a FAN account.

Last edited:

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Tried calling and using the chat. Unable to get the upgrade fee waived. I even stared I would be closing my account and going to tmobile and they didn't budge.

I called them the other day and they agreed to wave the fee, though he did say moving forward that the fee would be applied. I do tend to do upgrades when I have numerous lines close to the end our out of contract, so it does give them more incentive to give credits. I did have an extra line I probably would have canceled if they didn't wave the fee, but I did not mention that to him (got a credit related to that line as well, since I had a data plan for a month it wouldn't let me remove online).

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
In addition to upgrade fee's I think there are just administrative fees and other random fees on the monthly bills. Carriers get away with murder there is no clear explanation what the fee's are for. If you order a phone without the help and guidance of an ATT rep there should be no fee.

CBSubliminal

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
Florida
Upgraded another line this weekend. However they didnt waive 36.00. They just did 25.00. I guess they saw that I got two 36.00 credits last week.

ladysman

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I'm on a FAN account from work and just got mine waived but he credited it $43 instead...lol

Thanks for the tips!

schad

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
I have 3 lines with AT&T, and I have been with them for at least 10 years, this time I called them about waiving the fees right when I was upgrading my phones.

The person whom I talked to told me that I have to upgrade first, and when the bill is generated, I can call in to ask for credits back. So I just called them after seeing the fees appearing on my statement. The representative talked to her supervisor and then told me that they can only waive half of the fees which is $54.

I asked to talk to this supervisor myself, and the guy named Christopher said that he can only waive one upgrade fee which was $36, even less than what I was promised by the representative! No matter how I tried to reason with him, he just denied what the representative told me and insisted on only waving one fee.

I decided to try the online chat, and the chat person told me that his record showed that someone did promised to credit half of the fee and he would only credit so much back to my account as well.

This is so frustrating, and time wasting. :mad:

tgmn

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2013
Arizona
Chatted with someone yesterday. After some persuasion and butt kissing, he told me he would have his manager look into it and they would call me back today. Still waiting for that phone call...

Waited all weekend and no call so I chatted them again. Told the rep that I never received my phone call and he decided to waive it for me for the inconvenience!

suburbia430

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
no luck!

how did you guys do get the fee waived? i tried both an online rep and phone rep, even talked to a manager on the phone. she basically told me that if i don't like the deal i could cancel the phone order and get one either through retail or from at&t next.

should i keep trying?

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Just had both upgrade fees credited. All I did was start a chat and told her my bill was too high and if she could help me. She did :)

----------

how did you guys do get the fee waived? i tried both an online rep and phone rep, even talked to a manager on the phone. she basically told me that if i don't like the deal i could cancel the phone order and get one either through retail or from at&t next.

should i keep trying?

Don't call. Try the chat. Tell them your bill is too high and you would appreciate if they removed it. If it doesn't work, try chatting with someone else. It should work unless a note was put on your account not to credit it. Nothing is guaranteed as they're not obliged to credit back the fee but you might get lucky.

MysticAngel

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
It wasn't easy to get the fee waived at all. The first person I talk through chat said the fee was valid and there was nothing she could do. Then I thought about it and there's really no reason they charge us that fee. Its like the bonus for resigning to At&t for another 2 year and the gift is a $36 fee. I ask to talk to a manager and relayed that fact to him and he said the same thing. I started to get mad thinking about it more. I had to threaten to close my account like 3 time and say you don't appreciate a long time customer before he said he would talk to his manager to waive that fee one time. Not easy at all! But generally if you threaten to take your business elsewhere they alway cave

tttmac

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
ty! I didnt have to push my issue much, since I been with att since Cingular without ever asking for a upgrade fee waive/credit, BUT! I can tell they are pushing back because they do respond with the usual line about the fee. I dont think you could look at my account and say no,

account history/standing is probably the main thing they probably look at

MysticAngel

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
ty! I didnt have to push my issue much, since I been with att since Cingular without ever asking for a upgrade fee waive/credit, BUT! I can tell they are pushing back because they do respond with the usual line about the fee. I dont think you could look at my account and say no,

account history/standing is probably the main thing they probably look at

Yeah I to am a long time At&t customer way back when it was At&t wireless, before the Cingular merger and then when it merge again to become the new at&t. However the manager said the 2007 date which was the first iPhone date. I told him way before that. Anyway I found the standard response they give when they you ask about fee which is laughable:

"The activation fee is a one-time fee that is charged to all new customers that activate a new line of service. These costs allow us to provide you with discounts on equipment, offer you great packages and features, and provide you with strong network coverage. This fee allows us to continue to provide you with excellent services now and in the future."

Jeff3f

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
I got my fee waved. It took longer than I would have liked to on chat, but near the end I asked if they had a manager because this was taking too long, and that worked.

Their initial justification for the fee was that helps them provide the discount, and provides their expertise to help me pick a device. However, since I used Apple to buy my device, this did not apply to me. And if anybody told me that going forward, they would charge this fee anyway, I would mention that going forward I would look at Verizon or T-Mobile. There to many options to pay silly fees. Also, the subsidy fee that is embedded in my service fee probably mostly is what helps them provide me with the discount.

The justification that I saved $450 on this phone is false, because that means the true price of the phone is $435, not 399. It's like going to buy a used car LOL

I think it's false advertising, if they have to charge an upgrade fee, then they should just have Apple add it to the retail price.

With every round of iPhones, there are more and more options with more and more carriers. This is a good thing.

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
Hi,

Just got mine waived through chat. They asked if I was informed about the upgrade fee, when I bought the new iPhone and I said no. It was confusing to me and he said he understands that. They said they would waive the fees.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm going to have to use this for my next bill (which will include the $36 "upgrade" fee). Looks like chat is the best, and just play dumb with the CSR.

Maui19

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2007
If you can't get your fee waived, download your wireless agreement from AT&T's site and see what it says. Mine shows a $17 upgrade fee, which ATT of course had to accept. I think I got gouged last time.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Hi,

Just got mine waived through chat. They asked if I was informed about the upgrade fee, when I bought the new iPhone and I said no. It was confusing to me and he said he understands that. They said they would waive the fees.
I just got two activation fees waived! I had to make two calls and during the second call I asked to speak to a manager. I explained that I purchased my phone via Apple store and I wasn't informed of any such fee. She apologized and at first was hesistant to waive the fee, but she noticed that I was a new customer and she wanted me to be a happy one; therefore the fees were waived. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
I just called AT&T and asked if it was possible to waive my upgrade fee since I was a long time customer. She put me on hold to see what she could do. She came back and said that it was a valid charge and she couldn't return it, but that she did give my a curtesy refund of $37.00. I don't care what they had to call it, I'm just glad they were able to waive the fee!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.