Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
He was not talking about thanksgiving but about Black Friday. We Europeans did have a Black Friday discount last year. I got a 100 € discount on my iMac.

This is disappointing.

But I think you're missing the point. Black Friday is an After Thanksgiving sale so it's suppose to be dedicated to the U.S. If Apple allowed it to be extended outside the U.S. last year and not this year then perhaps they got flack from it. A line has to be drawn. The UK has special deal days that the U.S. doesn't have. It goes back and forth. The UK can't keep getting U.S deals when the U.S. can't get theirs.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Nothing, nada, ziltch for Black Friday in the UK and throughout Europe.

Same in Australia. Apple had some modest Black Friday deals in Australia last year, so I waited this year to buy a couple of iPads… Nothing.

But I think you're missing the point. Black Friday is an After Thanksgiving sale so it's suppose to be dedicated to the U.S. If Apple allowed it to be extended outside the U.S. last year and not this year then perhaps they got flack from it. A line has to be drawn. The UK has special deal days that the U.S. doesn't have. It goes back and forth. The UK can't keep getting U.S deals when the U.S. can't get theirs.

Sure, Apple can do whatever they like of course—there's no obligation to have this sale anywhere. It's just unfortunate that they set a precedent in our minds last year, so some of us held out for the day that never came. First world problems I'll admit!

BTW, we have 'special days' in Australia too, but I'm not aware of any that Apple chooses to celebrate with a sale. Just sayin'! ;)

Nor*Cal

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Irvine, CA
Wondering if anyone could answer these questions regarding getting a 64GB iPhone 6 on Black Friday (trying to be super thorough!):

1. Does Walmart's special only apply to the 16GB iPhone, or can I get this gift card on the 64GB iPhone too?
  2. The gift card offered by Apple on Black Friday is a store gift card, not a Appstore gift card?
  3. Can I use the $50 gift card received on the Apple Store deal towards the purchase of the iPhone, or does the gift card have to be used on a separate transaction?
  4. Will Best Buy offer a gift card for the 64GB version of the iPhone6?

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
BTW, we have 'special days' in Australia too, but I'm not aware of any that Apple chooses to celebrate with a sale. Just sayin'! ;)

Do we normally have Apple sales on Boxing Day? I can't remember.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wrong to have people working today except emergency services. People should refuse to shop and boycott today.

I know people who love working holidays, including thanksgiving, because employers pay double or even triple. So they work maybe 8-2 then go home and have their family dinner having earned 18 hours pay for 6 hours work. So I disagree with a blanket pronouncement that it's wrong in all cases to have stores open today.

----------

Standard bait-and-switch. Best Buy is "sold out online" of 128GB iPad Air 2's. What a pathetic store.

The point of a bait and switch would be to move you UP to a higher priced item. If they're out of the 128, what are they trying to switch you to?

macmedal

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
Britannia
Last year was not the first year that the UK got Black Friday benefits. This year it seems we are not going to be so lucky.

I agree that Black Friday has little significance to the UK in terms of tradition as we do not celebrate Thanksgiving. But strangley this year is the first year that there seems to be widespread black Friday sales fever in the UK, with many large companies having sales, other than Apple.

As for other holiday benefits Boxing Day is a significant and traditional sale day in the UK but Apple has never been inclined to give any discount on that day. The only day in the past years has been Black Friday.:confused:

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
PCWorld in the UK will be having some savings on Apple products but not as much as previously.

Stupid move by Apple to not give more room on the margins for this one day as the profit margin would equal out to a good profit.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013

Apple is proving yet again to be US-centric on so many of its services and marketing, even though Europe is a bigger market.

I was going to buy a couple of MBAs tomorrow with the justification that it was a good deal. Now I won't.

Hell yeah, 'Merica! Pissing everyone off since 1776! ######

Sorry, this is Thanksgiving, an American holiday, and Black Friday, an American "tradition" enjoyed by crazy 'Mericans. I'm sorry that you brits and Europeans don't get our Black Friday sales, but here in 'Merica we don't have longer warranties or whatever that are enjoyed over the ocean by you all.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

Apple is proving yet again to be US-centric on so many of its services and marketing, even though Europe is a bigger market.

I was going to buy a couple of MBAs tomorrow with the justification that it was a good deal. Now I won't.

Crazy how an American company would be so American.

Maybe you should have thought of how things might end up when you were taxing the crap out of us a few hundred years ago.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Crazy how an American company would be so American.

Maybe you should have thought of how things might end up when you were taxing the crap out of us a few hundred years ago.

The double standards on this forum are hilarious. The Europeans on this forum constantly give crap about how us Americans are "entitled" and "selfish" yet they constantly act like the Universe revolves around Europe.

With that said, this Black Friday crap is pointless. Good luck trying to get an iPad Air 1 or 2 in the color/capacity you want in-store. The Online stock is already gone.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
today i bought an iPad fleshlight cover - at full price - and 'gave thanks' into an empty microwavable chef boyardee tray.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
online Apple Store down

Will we be able to order with the discounts today?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-27 at 8.20.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-27 at 8.20.12 PM.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 70

Hawk999

macrumors member
May 1, 2014
Eindhoven, the Netherlands

Dude you’re making this up as you go.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
The Black Friday deals in the UK are generally just very poor this year, never mind the fact that Apple aren't doing anything officially this year. Apple's Black Friday deals were always a waste of time anyway. Nothing is gonna hurt their huge profit margins, so it was only a very small, unnoticeable amount of money off of something very expensive. 'Buy a £3000 Mac and save £100!', you'd have to be a moron.

----------

Hell yeah, 'Merica! Pissing everyone off since 1776! ������������

Sorry, this is Thanksgiving, an American holiday, and Black Friday, an American "tradition" enjoyed by crazy 'Mericans. I'm sorry that you brits and Europeans don't get our Black Friday sales, but here in 'Merica we don't have longer warranties or whatever that are enjoyed over the ocean by you all.

The longer warranties thing is (mostly) a myth. We just generally get...nothing.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Just bought my 15RMBP last sunday at best buy for 2299, seen on their website that they are offering the same comp for 2199 do you think if i took my receipt up there tomorrow they would knock that hundred off?

(its not part of the Black friday specials just their new price)

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Do we normally have Apple sales on Boxing Day? I can't remember.

I have no memory of Apple ever having a sale in Australia, apart from Black Friday. The likes of JB Hifi and Dick Smith have Mac sales from time to time, typically when models are a bit long in the tooth (and they'll price match each other)—but the Apple Store stays right out of it.

They may do it Saturday our time.

I'll bet you a $20 Apple Store gift card they don't.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Dude you’re making this up as you go.

Uh I don't think so. Why don't you just move on. Apparently you have nothing to argue against what I said so of course you offer the typical response of no substance. You UK people need to calm down and stop the crying and complaining that you can't get something the U.S has. Goes on 24/7 around here.

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
For people doing Edge or Next plan, do they get the iPhone price discount in the form of a gift card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.