Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Okay, two words for Australian shoppers looking for an iPad deal: Good Guys. Their deals are comparable to Apple's Black Friday deals last year ($50 off a 64 or 128 GB wifi) but a genuine discount rather than gift card. My local store had sold out of the model I wanted, so I called JB and they're prepared to price match as usual. So you have some options! :)

pheenix11

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
I just went to my local Best Buy around 9pm ET and they still had iPad Air 2 64GB Silver in stock. I was shocked. I was literally in and out in 5 minutes and I am thrilled after striking out on their website last night.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Pays to be nice to Best Buy. I already had an iPad Air 2 that I had used a mover's coupon (10%). The manager authorized another $100 off ($108 after taxes). Total savings=$178

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Anyone know if the (USA) Apple Stores discount their (normally expensive) cables and adapters during these Black Friday sales?

My niece loves her iPad Mini to death…. and just during Thanksgiving lunch, she was super-jealous when I demo'ed my own Apple Lightning-to-DAV adapter…. so I was able to demonstrate playing iOS games like Angry Birds on a huge 40" HDTV. She immediately had that "Oh I so want one of those!" look when pointing to my Apple DAV adapter.

But at an Apple retail price of $45, that's a very expensive stocking stuffer. (And I already got her a primary gift, which is not tech related).

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Crazy how an American company would be so American.

Maybe you should have thought of how things might end up when you were taxing the crap out of us a few hundred years ago.

Really? You're claiming Apple is holding a grudge against a few-hundred-years-old event?

jdbr

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
Northern Ireland, UK
Crazy how an American company would be so American.

Maybe you should have thought of how things might end up when you were taxing the crap out of us a few hundred years ago.

Actually we didn't tax the crap out of you. You need to read a few good history books and remember you were just 'Brits' who lived in North America. (It is amazing how propaganda created by some greedy Boston business men caught on!)

It always amazes me how rude a minority of Americans can be on these forums towards others.

As for Apple being an 'American Company'; it maybe, but it trades internationally and the vast majority of its customers live elsewhere.
Personally 'Black Friday' just seems to be about greed and envy!

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
Went into Best Buy at 5 pm, plenty of iPad Air models in stock. But in my case I got my dad the $1 Samsung Galaxy S5 that he saw online as a deal at 3:00 and decided by 3:01 that he just had to have. Workers were professional and courteous. Idk why there's so much Best Buy hate.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I'm all for black Friday/Cyber Monday etc. I'm a gear nerd!
Except for this trend of starting black Friday deals the Monday previous and carrying right on through into Thanksgiving itself.
It's not like it's a sacrosanct religious holiday. It just a day to gather the family, pig out, and watch some sports.
I'm not a mushy Hallmark card kind of guy. But I think family time is something sorely lacking in our modern world.
I feel like the whole 'endless black friday' thing started roughly around the time of the economic collapse in 2008/2009. It was kind of patriotic to spend. Doing your part for the economy and all that. But we are pretty much out of the woods now.
As far as how 'fair' it is to overseas customers. Well we don't get that boxing day thing that they do in Japan here. No not even in California.
Besides, Apple discounts are rarely very significant. You can always beat them at B&H Photo or Best Buy.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Really? You're claiming Apple is holding a grudge against a few-hundred-years-old event?

Really? You're claiming you thought my comment was specifically a theory about Apple's motives? It was a joke BTW.

Actually we didn't tax the crap out of you. You need to read a few good history books and remember you were just 'Brits' who lived in North America.

True, up until that pesky bit of paper known as the Declaration of Independence, which was born out of disdain for taxation without representation. Page 36 of the good history book.

Personally 'Black Friday' just seems to be about greed and envy!

True again; American greed, world envy.

Listen guys, if you want your own Black Friday, by all means write Parliament and demand it. But don't get all up in arms that an American company has an annual (short meager) sale following an American holiday and doesn't extend it to you. It's an American company following an American tradition, plain and simple. What'so so hard to understand about that? Heck, Apple wouldn't even be offering Americans Black Friday discounts if they didn't feel pressured to by the rest of U.S. retailers. Apple HATES discounts, that's why the Black Friday sales are are so limited.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Just bought Pixelmator. For $14.99 it's a great deal. Adobe PS Elements costs 5x this price and it doesn't provide 5x functionality.

TechGuy18

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Apple (PRODUCT)RED Black Friday Deal

Apple is offering (PRODUCT)RED gift cards from $25 to $100 with the purchase of an iPad ($50), Mac ($100), iPhone ($50), iPod ($25), Apple TV ($25), or Beats by Dr. Dre ($25)
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-3.jpeg
Unknown-4.jpeg
Unknown-5.jpeg

TechGuy18

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Yes dude, we've known this for days.
As did I, I was just confirming for those who were confused as to why the cite was down. Also, the only Apple products that are listed on MacRumors to have the discount are the iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, and the iPhone 5c. The discount on iPads, Macs, iPods, Apple TV's, and Beats by Dr. Dre are not officially listed, which could lead to major confusion.

Last edited:

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Hell yeah, 'Merica! Pissing everyone off since 1776! ######

Sorry, this is Thanksgiving, an American holiday, and Black Friday, an American "tradition" enjoyed by crazy 'Mericans. I'm sorry that you brits and Europeans don't get our Black Friday sales, but here in 'Merica we don't have longer warranties or whatever that are enjoyed over the ocean by you all.

Thing is, we DO get those sales now. It's been growing over the past few years and isn't going away. Everywhere today is Black Friday crazy. Loads of stores opened at midnight, and all the major retailers started online sales at midnight too (mostly resulting in websites that buckled under the strain). I did manage to grab a good deal on a PS4 though for my son for Christmas. ;)

Last year (now I think about it I think it was actually the year before) my local Apple store in Kingston had various Black Friday offers. They even had a special table set out at the front of the store just to sell those items. I picked up another Airport Express at a good price.

But this year - nothing from Apple? Seems odd. I'll be passing the store later anyway so might see if anything is going on. I don't need anything though... at least until I get there :rolleyes:

tabber

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2014
Came here to see if anyone had spotted any good Black Friday discounts on Apple stuff in the UK, seeing as just about every other company is doing it except them it seems, and .... wow! I didn't think people like mcdj still existed. Holding a grudge from 250 years ago, I think that's got to be a record. Never mind our countrymen are fighting shoulder to shoulder in places like Afghanistan and Iraq and losing their lives for a principally American cause... no... we cant forget what you did 250 years ago.

Unbelievable. Literally no words...

tabber

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2014
Ok, for anyone still looking for deals in the UK, it looks like Currys / pcworld are the best i've found so far with their Black Tag event running until Wednesday. iPad Air 1 16GB wifi down from £319 to £289 for example, which puts it just under what you can get on Amazon. Although go to the pcworld website, currys currently has a 20 minute queue to get onto the website believe it or not, and they are effectively the same company now.

Hawk999

macrumors member
May 1, 2014
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Uh I don't think so. Why don't you just move on. Apparently you have nothing to argue against what I said so of course you offer the typical response of no substance. You UK people need to calm down and stop the crying and complaining that you can't get something the U.S has. Goes on 24/7 around here.

Okay lets see what you claimed:

But I think you're missing the point. Black Friday is an After Thanksgiving sale so it's suppose to be dedicated to the U.S. If Apple allowed it to be extended outside the U.S. last year and not this year then perhaps they got flack from it. A line has to be drawn. The UK has special deal days that the U.S. doesn't have. It goes back and forth. The UK can't keep getting U.S deals when the U.S. can't get theirs.

First of all Halloween used to be only US and Santa Claus as well. Still both American cultural phenomena have become populair in Europe.

This is not uncommon. In the 30s American movies became populair in Europe and in the 40s and 50s American music became really big in Europe.

So Black Friday is only US?

Really? I let others explain it to you:

Because the world is getting global ... Nearly no one knew what Halloween was about in contintental Europe 10 tà 15 years ago ... Then some commercial hype was created around it, and it's pushed through our throats ...
Similarly, Black Friday was not really a continental Europe concept ... yet now, with Amazon and it's multiple "local" webshops, other sellers ... more and more shops start promoting Black Friday as a trigger to get you spending money ...
Where a seller decides on discounts the seller's decision; whether you postpose buying or wait for another year or so (let's admit it: rare are the ones who absolutely need NEW stuff NOW), is the buyer's action.

We had the Black Friday offers last year, the year before that and the year before that.

It looks like we will probably have to wait until World AIDS Day on Monday.

No Thanksgiving, that's right. But Black Friday has been adopted outside the US, especially in Europe. There are Black Friday deals in (almost) all major online stores. And most physical stores promote some kind of Black Friday deals. Only exemption here is Apple, which had deals last year ��

Btw, there was no Halloween in Europe 15 years ago... To get together with family and enjoy each others company over a great meal, we have Christmas... ��

Oh, and before I forget: no deals in Canada I heard. That's on the same continent, last time I looked ��

So 3 years in a row we in Europe had discounts in our Apple store’s on Black Friday. When we are disappointed that this is not the case this year, for the first time isn 3 years, you come along and tell us that Black Friday is only for the US?

You behave like it is your business that some people are disappointed that something that happened for 3 year in a row is canceled without any notification or explanation from Apple.

You act as if the disappointment of other people is a personal insult to you. You come running to defend Apple like I would when a family member was being criticized.

And you do it by inventing ‘facts’ that don’t make any sense in the wider context of what really happened in Europe.
So thats why I keep saying:

Dude, you’re making this up as you go.

Last edited:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Anyone know if the (USA) Apple Stores discount their (normally expensive) cables and adapters during these Black Friday sales?

My niece loves her iPad Mini to death…. and just during Thanksgiving lunch, she was super-jealous when I demo'ed my own Apple Lightning-to-DAV adapter…. so I was able to demonstrate playing iOS games like Angry Birds on a huge 40" HDTV. She immediately had that "Oh I so want one of those!" look when pointing to my Apple DAV adapter.

But at an Apple retail price of $45, that's a very expensive stocking stuffer. (And I already got her a primary gift, which is not tech related).

For $45 you can get various cables at monoprice.com
And why not an AppleTV instead?
Again HDMI cables in monoprice.com

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Dude, you’re making this up as you go.

Dude you’re making this up as you go.

LMAO I like how you keep using that same tired line "Dude, you're making this up as you go". First it was towards me and now another poster here. Must be the same crap you say to many others on the web when you have no argument against their facts.

Doesn't change the FACT that Apple is not offering any BF deals outside of the U.S and you need to get over it. BF is an "After Thanksgiving sale" and that's a FACT. Thanksgiving is a U.S. holiday and that's a FACT. Get over it. You have failed on so many accounts trying to beat a dead horse. And for the record on that ridiculous argument you made about Halloween, it's a made up day and it's not even an official holiday. Let it go. You're not getting what you want so stop the useless complaining. :p

empero6

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
lmao seriously?

you do realize thanksgiving in the united states is a celebration of the first feast settlers that fled the UK (or were forced to leave depending on your perspective) had with the native american indians after arriving here right?

Uhhhhhh no. It was a celebration of the slaughter of a Native American tribe. It was pretty much a feast to celebrate the slaughter of the "savages"/tribe.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Came here to see if anyone had spotted any good Black Friday discounts on Apple stuff in the UK, seeing as just about every other company is doing it except them it seems, and .... wow! I didn't think people like mcdj still existed. Holding a grudge from 250 years ago, I think that's got to be a record. Never mind our countrymen are fighting shoulder to shoulder in places like Afghanistan and Iraq and losing their lives for a principally American cause... no... we cant forget what you did 250 years ago.

Unbelievable. Literally no words...

Lol go overboard much? It's just black Friday shopping and Apple is keeping it in the US. Let it go.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
John Lewis in the UK is doing £100 off iMacs and Macbooks... plus you normally get a better warranty with them.

----------

Lol go overboard much? It's just black Friday shopping and Apple is keeping it in the US. Let it go.

Let's hope Guinness keeps St Patrick's Day away from the US next year then??!

Regardless of how much you want to keep good consumer deals to yourself and not let anyone outside of the USA share in them, the fact is that Black Friday has grown in the UK and is now widely followed. Honestly, today it's all anyone is talking about in the office/Facebook/news sites.

Apple was one of the FIRST companies in the UK to offer discounts on it (beaten only by Amazon, I think) a few years ago. But this year we get nothing, so of course people are disappointed.

The fact it is the day after Thanksgiving is irrelevant here. It is being treated as a "kick off the Christmas shopping" day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.