Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
John Lewis in the UK is doing £100 off iMacs and Macbooks... plus you normally get a better warranty with them.

----------

Let's hope Guinness keeps St Patrick's Day away from the US next year then??!

Regardless of how much you want to keep good consumer deals to yourself and not let anyone outside of the USA share in them, the fact is that Black Friday has grown in the UK and is now widely followed. Honestly, today it's all anyone is talking about in the office/Facebook/news sites.

Apple was one of the FIRST companies in the UK to offer discounts on it (beaten only by Amazon, I think) a few years ago. But this year we get nothing, so of course people are disappointed.

The fact it is the day after Thanksgiving is irrelevant here. It is being treated as a "kick off the Christmas shopping" day.

Yeah yeah yeah, then Boxing Day should be extended to the U.S. and your longer warranties should be extended to the U.S. You're taking this very personally. It's not about what "I" want in terms of keeping it in the US. It's about the UK people here on this forum continually complaining and whining about something they can't get the U.S has. And thank you for making my point. Black Friday is an after Thanksgiving sale. If it's irrelevant to you about being after Thanksgiving then you shouldn't have the benefit of the sales.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Hell yeah, 'Merica! Pissing everyone off since 1776! ######

Sorry, this is Thanksgiving, an American holiday, and Black Friday, an American "tradition" enjoyed by crazy 'Mericans. I'm sorry that you brits and Europeans don't get our Black Friday sales, but here in 'Merica we don't have longer warranties or whatever that are enjoyed over the ocean by you all.

Canada, hell yeah! We get the best of all worlds, like "tires" and "colour"!

We get black Friday and boxing day... That said, I don't go because I'm a bit of an agoraphobe...

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I didn't realize that Apple had extended discounts in prior years in the UK. While not doing so this year is obviously their prerogative, it is rather lame. I wonder if it's some kind of general northern European retaliation for Ireland's crackdown on the tax haven Apple has been enjoying.

As for Guinness; bad comparison. We enjoy it all year, it's available all year, not just at St. Pat's, and it doesn't get some special sale anywhere ever.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
As for Guinness; bad comparison. We enjoy it all year, it's available all year, not just at St. Pat's, and it doesn't get some special sale anywhere ever.

It was the best I could come up with at short notice :D

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Once again: no discounts in Europe...

----------

I didn't realize that Apple had extended discounts in prior years in the UK. While not doing so this year is obviously their prerogative, it is rather lame. I wonder if it's some kind of general northern European retaliation for Ireland's crackdown on the tax haven Apple has been enjoying.

say what? In Europe there are no discounts either. And believe me: we are paying apple products with an enormous apple tax compared to the USA.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Yeah yeah yeah, then Boxing Day should be extended to the U.S. and your longer warranties should be extended to the U.S. You're taking this very personally. It's not about what "I" want in terms of keeping it in the US. It's about the UK people here on this forum continually complaining and whining about something they can't get the U.S has. And thank you for making my point. Black Friday is an after Thanksgiving sale. If it's irrelevant to you about being after Thanksgiving then you shouldn't have the benefit of the sales.

I thought you did have Boxing Day sales actually (never been to the US at Christmas to find out). And we don't complain about not having all the same sales. I've been in the US at Independence Day before and got some great deals on stuff, but we don't do anything here. Nobody is bothered by that fact.

A sale does not have to be linked to a holiday. In the US it is an after-Thanksgiving sale. In the UK it is a start-of-Christmas-season sale. We can have sales on the same dates for different reasons. I don't see the problem. The complaints are only because one of the major retailers and originator of the sales has decided this year to not participate, even though more retailers are joining in.

As for warranties, meh. It's a European law thing and doesn't mean we automatically get hassle-free 7 year warranties. We get 1 year proper warranty usually (apologies I don't know what you guys get). You guys seem to have better returns policies, and often get the stuff cheaper in the first place. Remember our sales tax is 20%!

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013

I'll gladly slaughter a turkey to get that discount :p Bring out the knife!

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I thought you did have Boxing Day sales actually (never been to the US at Christmas to find out). And we don't complain about not having all the same sales. I've been in the US at Independence Day before and got some great deals on stuff, but we don't do anything here. Nobody is bothered by that fact.
Uh, Independence Day is not considered a shopping type of "holiday" in the United States. While US banks are closed there are no special deals for us here. It's about people Barbecuing.
A sale does not have to be linked to a holiday. In the US it is an after-Thanksgiving sale. In the UK it is a start-of-Christmas-season sale. We can have sales on the same dates for different reasons. I don't see the problem.
The problem is it's because an "After Thanksgiving" sale, not just a "Christmas Shopping Season" sale. We wouldn't be having this argument if that was the situation. And we do not get anything of the sort in regards to Boxing Day.

Oh really, you sure about that? The "UK Christmas shopping season" just happens to fall the day after Thanksgiving in the US, or are you saying that because companies began to extend their Black Friday deals to the UK over the past few years?

And as far as whining and complaining on this forum, the majority (if not all of it) comes from the UK people.
Here's a few examples:

UK People- "WTF, Apple isn't offering the iPhone, iPad, iMac, etc...in the UK? We pay the Apple Tax and we can't get it now like they do for the US customers"

UK People- "WTF, xxx-app is not on the UK store, but only in the US?"

UK People- "WTF, we can't watch the live keynote just because Apple's broadcast is in the US?"

I can go on. It never ends. Just check out this very forum. This is suppose to be about Black Friday deals and the UK people are yet again complaining because they can't get the direct Apple deals.

Is there something wrong with just getting the deals available from 3rd party Apple retailers in the UK? It's not like Apple's BF deals are ever all that good in the first place......or are you UK people just arguing for the sake of arguing? :p

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Uh, Independence Day is not considered a shopping type of "holiday" in the United States. While US banks are closed there are no special deals for us here. It's about people Barbecuing.

The problem is it's because an "After Thanksgiving" sale, not just a "Christmas Shopping Season" sale. We wouldn't be having this argument if that was the situation. And we do not get anything of the sort in regards to Boxing Day.

Oh really, you sure about that? The "UK Christmas shopping season" just happens to fall the day after Thanksgiving in the US, or are you saying that because companies began to extend their Black Friday deals to the UK over the past few years?

And as far as whining and complaining on this forum, the majority (if not all of it) comes from the UK people.
Here's a few examples:

UK People- "WTF, Apple isn't offering the iPhone, iPad, iMac, etc...in the UK? We pay the Apple Tax and we can't get it now like they do for the US customers"

UK People- "WTF, xxx-app is not on the UK store, but only in the US?"

UK People- "WTF, we can't watch the live keynote just because Apple's broadcast is in the US?"

I can go on. It never ends. Just check out this very forum. This is suppose to be about Black Friday deals and the UK people are yet again complaining because they can't get the direct Apple deals.

Is there something wrong with just getting the deals available from 3rd party Apple retailers in the UK? It's not like Apple's BF deals are ever all that good in the first place......or are you UK people just arguing for the sake of arguing? :p
lol well even the Europeans are thinking about kicking them out of the European Union as they argue too much. Then again nagging works in their case. And for once they are right!

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Well I definitely got some good deals that day. Maybe not as widespread. And I do envy you for having a day for barbequing. Frankly that's an idea I can get behind! Maybe we should adopt it...

I'm saying that's the UK justification for it. Frankly, Thanksgiving has nothing to do with Sales when you think about it. "I'm thankful for $150 off an iPad Air" probably isn't in the spirit of the holiday any more than the Boxing Day sales here are. Christmas as a holiday has been around longer in the world than Thanksgiving anyway. We can't help it if you guys over there decided to plonk a holiday 1 month before it :p

Plus, for most of us, it's payday today. Last payday before Xmas. Good reason for a sale if you ask me!

No nothing wrong with it really, just odd that they didn't participate.
And yes, we like arguing. Arguing and queueing.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I'm saying that's the UK justification for it. Frankly, Thanksgiving has nothing to do with Sales when you think about it.

I have to agree with you 1000% about this. I'm totally frustrated that the US has turned a celebration of a historical event into a shopping frenzy. All the retail stores opened on Thanksgiving day. They used to be closed to allow families to gather together for dinner and time together. Now it's all just about sales and people have given up their Thanksgiving just to go shopping and employers are forcing people to work on what's suppose to be a day of rest. Sad.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
I have to agree with you 1000% about this. I'm totally frustrated that the US has turned a celebration of a historical event into a shopping frenzy. All the retail stores opened on Thanksgiving day. They used to be closed to allow families to gather together for dinner and time together. Now it's all just about sales and people have given up their Thanksgiving just to go shopping and employers are forcing people to work on what's suppose to be a day of rest. Sad.

Yeah we have the same with Boxing Day. I spend it with my family, and I hate that a) People get up at 6am to go shopping, and b) Workers are made to come in and work.

Anyway I've enjoyed our little argument/discussion but I've got to leave now. Happy holidays to you! :)

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
And yes, we like arguing. Arguing and queueing.
This is the second time I agree entirely with a Brit!

----------

Yeah we have the same with Boxing Day. I spend it with my family, and I hate that a) People get up at 6am to go shopping, and b) Workers are made to come in and work.

Anyway I've enjoyed our little argument/discussion but I've got to leave now. Happy holidays to you! :)

This is true. Family values are gone. Then again with all the divorces many families have broken up over here. Most of us are glad not to see their own father or mother. Not necessarily because of the parent but because of the new partner...

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Haha, I enjoyed it too. You have a wonderful holiday as well. :)

yano729

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
Bestbuy Student Discount

Was thinking about going to best buy to pick up an iPad Air 2. I was curious if anyone has been able to access the student discounts page for best buy. It won't let me get to that site anymore, they usually have like 50 dollars off an iPad purchase and I wanted to combine that with the sale today, and a movers coupon. I did that when I bought my iMac over the summer. Anyone have any advice if the student discount page is still up or did best buy take it down?

LSalander

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
NOLA
Has anyone been able to ordre from Best Buy? I've been trying for hours : I am logged in, I put an Ipad 128 in my cart, then whenever I want to check out : my cart is empty and I am logged out...
weird...

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Best Buy's iPhone 6 promo is the biggest gimmick.
Their ad says $99 for the 16GB with 2 year activation AND a trade-in gift card. Meaning you only get $99 if you trade in a working iPhone for $100.

That's not even a deal. That can be had on any day at Best Buy

sepo01

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Anchorage, AK

livit

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2013
If you guys want a new sticker for your Macs, there's a 33% off everything right now (Black Friday) at makeitstick.co - shipping is free as well.

http://www.makeitstick.co

Like these:

BQJQDFW.jpg

KUZTFNm.jpg

VZGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
Has anyone been able to ordre from Best Buy? I've been trying for hours : I am logged in, I put an Ipad 128 in my cart, then whenever I want to check out : my cart is empty and I am logged out...
weird...

No problem for me. Picked up a 64gb iPad 2 air for the wife and went right through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.