Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
A decades long Apple user, I've always been more interested in functionality than Apple's love of animations and other element's designed to entertain the easily impressed. It's obvious Apple's approach sells product, but I'll take slim, trim and efficient any day.

Its an interesting thing to say, because 'slim, trim and efficient' is exactly Apple's motto. One of my problem's with Chrome is that it does not integrate well into how OS X works. There is this concept of 'look-and-feel', and Chrome looks and feels foreign.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
That's because Chrome wants to take on its own role as an-OS-within-an-OS. What you're essentially installing is more and more Chrome OS instead of just Chrome.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I agree.

Safari is *improved* a lot since Mavericks, but still just isn't as fast as Chrome.

I'll take a few milliseconds per page load and know my identity, shopping habits and "social graph" is nice an private like I prefer. Safari + Google Disconnect Extension + Facebook Disconnect Extension = Happiness.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
I'll take a few milliseconds per page load and know my identity, shopping habits and "social graph" is nice an private like I prefer. Safari + Google Disconnect Extension + Facebook Disconnect Extension = Happiness.

I run Adblock and DoNotTrackMe on Safari and have had zero issues BTW.

When you start running something like DoNotTrackMe you'll be shocked by the amount of companies grabbing data, Google is just the tip of the iceberg.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Ever since Safari 7.0.6 rolled out, it doesn't even work. Thankfully Chrome works just fine.

Ever since I started with Safari, I've had no real issue except some speed, but now with Yosemite, its just fast, and I would never go with Chrome. Safari just works :p

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013

Again, as I mentioned, it's not about the speed difference being the deciding factor. Safari is fast and I could use it. It is the limitations of ad block that keep me away from using Safari. It doesn't block videos on Twitch.tv on Safari, but it does on Chrome. (Safari API limitations). Twitch is just an example, there are a few major limitations on Safari.

It's a good browser these days, just doesn't do everything I need

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
Why are people saying that? Look at youtube videos, most of them say that Safari is faster.

I dont know how reliable this speed test is but heres my results

Did you test the new 64-bit Canary build of Chrome? Because that's the only version that OP says is faster than Safari.

taldo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
I don't know what happened but since the last Yosemite Beta update Safari is just crap!
Almost unusable...
Anyone else experiencing issues..?

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
I don't know what happened but since the last Yosemite Beta update Safari is just crap!
Almost unusable...

My experience is the exact opposite. It is better in every way :cool:

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Almost unusable...

Something is wrong with your system and does not translate to all of us. Mine is just plain fine.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Safari has some nice tricks no other browser does
if you show Finder Info on a file downloaded with Safari, they include the FTP or HTTP location that it came from.
Google Chrome does this also, if you enable the Spotlight indexing for the appropriate volume.

Btw, Internet Explorer for the Classic Mac OS (Mac OS <= v9.2.2) wrote also the source URL in the Finder comment. Safari is not the first browser who does this.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
Google Chrome does this also, if you enable the Spotlight indexing for the appropriate volume.

Btw, Internet Explorer for the Classic Mac OS (Mac OS <= v9.2.2) wrote also the source URL in the Finder comment. Safari is not the first browser who does this.

Well you learn something new everyday. Interesting enough I installed a copy of Chrome, thought this thing may warrant further examination.

I found Chrome does currently "challenge for password" to show stored web passwords, I pulled my previous post regarding password storage and Chrome. In conjunction with maintaining URL references Chrome could be an alternative.

Last edited:

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Been using Chrome canary for a day or so. Much better than chrome. About on par with safari in speed.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
There is a quick and easy speed test. Run both browsers and get your numbers.

http://www.speed-battle.com

I did, not much difference. The biggest thing I noticed is my desktop consistently produced better numbers than my laptop, faster hardware matters too.

Chrome Canary

HDa3qOg.png

Safari 8.0

i2VpIjx.png

I'll be sticking with Safari.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Wow, I was doubtful, but Canary is a lot faster than regular Chrome. Even after loading all my extensions.

I wish Safari would just let us use icons for the bookmark bar.

Does anyone know how to change the zooming on Safari so it zooms like Chrome? On Safari, if you zoom, it seems to zoom on a pinpointed position. If you do it on Chrome, it seems to zoom everything proportionally (text, images, etc.) so it fits the browser.

Last edited:

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
The only reason I don't use Chrome is because of it's hideous and clunky zooming function. Safari's zooming is so smooth and precise, allowing you to choose exactly where you want to zoom.

rev.b

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
Portugal
14j0186.jpg

Left Firefox 31, right Safari 8.

Sadly Firefox is crashing a lot on Yosemite, so I can't really use it. Safari 8 is fine, but noticeably slower, specially scrolling in facebook, for instance.

Then there are some minor nuisances, like after all these years, I still can't choose where a downloaded file goes... ;)

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014

Left Firefox 31, right Safari 8.

Sadly Firefox is crashing a lot on Yosemite, so I can't really use it. Safari 8 is fine, but noticeably slower, specially scrolling in facebook, for instance.

Then there are some minor nuisances, like after all these years, I still can't choose where a downloaded file goes... ;)
That's pretty impressive, too bad Firefox has been using 100% of the CPU at times, causing it to slow down the entire system.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
I tried Chrome Canary and indeed it is fast, and I tried a new blocker called µblock.

Still going to use Safari 8 for most things tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.