Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nontroppo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I have Canary, I like it a lot. It's stupid fast.

Do you get the false "not responding" red lines on Activity Monitor? It shows Chrome helpers as not responding even though their fine. Been a problem for a while. Not a huge deal.

Yes (and it happens to Opera helpers too), though I also see some system services in red too. When Mavericks first came out, this also happened to Opera, it had no effect on using the software.

I've reported this in FA for PB1, I still see it in PB2...

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Changing the filter list selection can also lead to this: "Expect similar memory footprint each time the filter lists have to be reloaded".
Two questions: 1) Are you using this daily? 2) Do you recommend this over Adguard? (Which I've found to be the best ad blocker to date :rolleyes:).

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
[/COLOR]
Yeah I like the look and aesthetic of Safari 8, but like you've mentioned in previous posts... it's too much memory for a single tab.

Here's my activity monitor. Chrome has been red since OS X Lion for me. :confused:

Besides that just lately I've been having a problem with forums like this. For some reason only Chrome doesn't remember new posts. Like you know how new posts you haven't seen the thread title will be bold? It doesn't do that for the last few days. I assume it's a cookie thing that manages that.

squinif

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
Two questions: 1) Are you using this daily? 2) Do you recommend this over Adguard? (Which I've found to be the best ad blocker to date :rolleyes:).

By the way, in your following screenshot, the same process id shows as 71MB, so it looks like it already started to go down as the web page says on Github by the time you took another screenshot.

Yes I use daily. Adguard uses unique id + get your browsing history with phishing/malware enabled. Some have no problems with that, but that kind of thing is not for me.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
At a sacrifice to significant ram & cpu usage chrome is slightly faster in some aspects..

I use chrome on ubuntu and windows, but Safari on my mac has been my choice for quite awhile, plus with the html5 netflix player in Yosemite safari is the winner in my view as of now.

Also, I don't like chrome sandboxes flash, I have extensions that specifically convert videos to html5 in safari to optimize performance and speed. If I really need flash I will open up my chrome and use the website on that, but honestly it has been a long time since I opened my chrome.

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
By the way, in your following screenshot, the same process id shows as 71MB, so it looks like it already started to go down as the web page says on Github by the time you took another screenshot.

Yes I use daily. Adguard uses unique id + get your browsing history with phishing/malware enabled. Some have no problems with that, but that kind of thing is not for me.
Yeah I see what you're saying. Good observation, I didn't realize that.

Oh yeah? I had no idea. Currently, I'm using uBlock + Ghostery. I've had no problems with Ghostery for a year now, before that I was using Disconnect which has been having problems.

----------

Besides that just lately I've been having a problem with forums like this. For some reason only Chrome doesn't remember new posts. Like you know how new posts you haven't seen the thread title will be bold? It doesn't do that for the last few days. I assume it's a cookie thing that manages that.
Haven't noticed this.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Seems to be on and off. Not happening right now thankfully.

It's only Canary. I'm using the 64 bit stable version beta and it's fine.

nontroppo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Look at my usage. Over 100MB and i've been using it for an hour! :confused:

Have you enabled lots of filters? Adguard seems to use less filters by default, and is less efficient at blocking stuff:

privacy-benchmark.png

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/µBlock-and-others:-Blocking-ads,-trackers,-malwares

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
Since lot of you guys are talking about ad blockers and which is the best, let me ask you guys a question:

Why adblockers on Chrome block more ads' than those on Safari? Example: some videos in news sites have ads, on Chrome they are blocked, using Adguard. On safari they always are shown.

Is there a proper way to block video ads on Safari?

LosLoco

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Since lot of you guys are talking about ad blockers and which is the best, let me ask you guys a question:

Why adblockers on Chrome block more ads' than those on Safari? Example: some videos in news sites have ads, on Chrome they are blocked, using Adguard. On safari they always are shown.

It's because of restrictions in Safari's API, as far as I have understood.

Basically, it's not possible to make an extension, that blocks video-ads (which is the main reason I'm using Chrome)

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013

From ABP Forum:

Adblock Plus for Safari is based on Adblock Plus for Chrome and Opera, but has a few limitations, mostly due to limitations of Safari:
Popups can't be blocked.
XMLHttpRequests can't be blocked.
Requests initiated by third-party plugins like Flash can't be blocked. This mostly affects in-video ads (like prerolls), however not those on YouTube, which are blocked in a different way.

Safari has a more closed API like mentioned above, versus other browsers where they allow more access to developers. This means adblock can not reach it's potential in Safari.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
That 12GB number is really interesting, I wish I could see the process detail, kind of doesn't make sense.

I've seen it go as high as 23GB, filmed it and recorded it. Here it is for your viewing pressure. Not sure about why memory pressure didn't change much, but the machine slowed to a crawl when it occurred and the fans went blazing.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
I've seen it go as high as 23GB, filmed it and recorded it. Here it is for your viewing pressure. Not sure about why memory pressure didn't change much, but the machine slowed to a crawl when it occurred and the fans went blazing.

YouTube: video

Can you select that process and click "I" inspector so we can see what type of memory its using? Then paste in the Info window.

Just for curiosity.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Can you select that process and click "I" inspector so we can see what type of memory its using? Then paste in the Info window.

Just for curiosity.

Says it's using virtual memory. It also seems to use 4.77 GB of real memory as well.

9y41Qvu.png

Here's another shot. Activity Monitor reporting 15.0 GB of memory for forums.macrumors.com, along with Inspector and memory_pressure.

T0RUNbi.png

Last edited:

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
Says it's using virtual memory. It also seems to use 4.77 GB of real memory as well.

Thanks, a lot of people have questioned what "Memory" is displayed by the Activity monitor. The thing that didn't make sense was your number was way above your physical memory. It had to be Virtual Memory, but I wanted to be sure.

Now I am completely confused by this tool. On 10.9 "Memory" was something in between Real and Private Memory. I could't find how Apple calculates this number for 10.9 and it appears things are changing again in 10.10 (or its just broken)

Anyway Virtual Memory on a 64 bit box can go very high and its generally not a problem. Just keep an eye on swap.

Appreciate your time, this is a little off topic.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
I Finally got a chance to try it... Holy sh**t this thing is fast. The only issue I've seen is that some text doesn't like to show up (MacRumors being one example).

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
It's so hard to love Chrome ever since Safari added the credit card keychain feature. Often I'm buying something online and I forget I'm in chrome and click to fill my CC# and dohhhh, I realize it doesn't access my stored CC's from my Mac Keychain.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
It's so hard to love Chrome ever since Safari added the credit card keychain feature. Often I'm buying something online and I forget I'm in chrome and click to fill my CC# and dohhhh, I realize it doesn't access my stored CC's from my Mac Keychain.

Ehh, I'm not big on my browser storing my credit card info.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Ehh, I'm not big on my browser storing my credit card info.

Yet let me guess, you have a credit card on file with iTunes, Amazon, Apple.com, and you likely have no issue giving your card to the 16 year old server at Applebees to take to the back and do god knows what with it. Yeah I just can't trust my browser to not steal my credit card info, hehehehhe.....

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Yet let me guess, you have a credit card on file with iTunes, Amazon, Apple.com, and you likely have no issue giving your card to the 16 year old server at Applebees to take to the back and do god knows what with it. Yeah I just can't trust my browser to not steal my credit card info, hehehehhe.....

Regarding iTunes & Amazon, you have to enter passwords to sign into those services. From my encounter with "this" service, anyone can on my computer navigate to Papa Johns and order something if my credit card info was stored in the keychain. No I don't think Safari is going to steal ****.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Regarding iTunes & Amazon, you have to enter passwords to sign into those services. From my encounter with "this" service, anyone can on my computer navigate to Papa Johns and order something if my credit card info was stored in the keychain. No I don't think Safari is going to steal ****.

Yeah that's what a credit card CID is intended for. It just stores the credit card the card and expiration then you put the CID. You didn't address giving your card to a kid at a restaurant. And I assume you have to enter a password to use your computer? Otherwise may as well leave your front door unlocked with an Open sign on it.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Chrome may win in terms of raw page rendering, but all browsers are so close that it really doesn't make a huge difference.

The biggest thing that keeps me from Chrome (aside from iCloud integration) is that Chrome lags while scrolling and when playing video if I swipe between spaces I get bad lag. I don't have this with Safari.

^This. 100% this. I can't stand the scrolling lag on Chrome. It's horrible.

And in overall Safari feels way more polished and sophisticated compared to Chrome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.