Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
I don't use Adblock, I use Adblock Plus. (totally different developers, not related)

Why is Adguard better?
I've used Adblock, Adblock Plus, and Adguard in that order. I prefer using Adguard and have been for months, due to the fact that its the easiest on the CPU and doesn't take much resources. Plus, it's faster at loading pages than Adblock or + ever was. I also forgot to mention I use Ghostery, which protects you from online trackers. :cool:

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I've used Adblock, Adblock Plus, and Adguard in that order. I prefer using Adguard and have been for months, due to the fact that its the easiest on the CPU and doesn't take much resources. Plus, it's faster at loading pages than Adblock or + ever was. I also forgot to mention I use Ghostery, which protects you from online trackers. :cool:

Thanks, I'll try out Adguard.

I highly suggest you use "Disconnect" instead of Ghostery. Ghostery was bought by an ad company, not trustable at all in my opinion.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Hahahaha I don't think old school means what you think it means, you should call yourself modern, contemporary or even new school.

That crossed my mind when posting lol. "Old school" is the sense that I don't want all the fancy animation. Remember back in Windows 95 or ME, even XP, they started putting in all the animations for closing windows, opening, etc? I always disabled those because it seemed like wasted time to see those animations 50 times a day. I always got rid of the "Aero" theme to Vista and made it the grey scale. So that's definitely old school.

You are right, I am "new school" in the sense that I like fast computers. :)

Hope that makes sense

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Thanks, I'll try out Adguard.

I highly suggest you use "Disconnect" instead of Ghostery. Ghostery was bought by an ad company, not trustable at all in my opinion.
I used to use Disconnect until they started acting like bastards by sending me pop-up "Donate please". They apologized for it and tried to make it seem like a glitch, then did it AGAIN a few weeks later. Haven't gone back since.

Ghostery was bought by an ad-company, yes. But this doesn't have anything to do with them selling your information, this was a rumor and they actually addressed it denying selling information. Haven't had any problems with Ghostery and I prefer it over lying Disconnect.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
It's a cross-platform browser meant to be minimalistic for performance. IMO, it kind of doesn't really look like a native app on any OS.
Well said!

A decades long Apple user, I've always been more interested in functionality than Apple's love of animations and other element's designed to entertain the easily impressed. It's obvious Apple's approach sells product, but I'll take slim, trim and efficient any day.

Chrome has been my browser of choice, and it's served me exceptionally well.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Adblock sucks on Safari, that's honestly the only reason I don't use it mostly. I would like to because the integration with my iPhone.

The API limits it, so it can't block preroll ads on Twitch.tv, for example. ABP does a lot more on Chrome.

It's unfortunate.

for extensions and the chrome store chrome is a miles better. also theming. been rather slow lately though which is why i'm using safari. also dont care for teh fonts.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
OP is right Chrome is a little faster though. You won't notice it just loading a page of text but loading a forum where all the posts are embedded videos or something like that, Chrome is significantly quicker.
For me the fraction of a second Chrome has over Safari when it comes to loading times, is being overshadowed by poor font rendering and laggy scrolling performance (something others have mentioned as well).

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
For me the fraction of a second Chrome has over Safari when it comes to loading times, is being overshadowed by poor font rendering and laggy scrolling performance (something others have mentioned as well).

I don't experience that but I also don't have a Retina screen. Although I do have an SSD.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
I don't use Adblock, I use Adblock Plus. (totally different developers, not related)

Why is Adguard better?

Adblock Plus on Safari in Yosemite is broken. Slows you down. Use another ad blocker on Safari

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I don't really see where the 'blowing out of the water' comes from. The JavaScript performance is very similar (Safari needs to work on its string implementation), Safari is however much faster at loading and rendering websites. I used Chrome exclusively when it came out, as it was indeed much better than constantly crashing, horribly underperforming Safari. But since Mavericks, Safari has improved considerably. In Yosemite, its performance is almost unbelievable.

I feel we can't take OP's words seriously. He didn't even know Safari is 64 bits for quite some time already.
"blows out the water"? Maybe he's still using Lion's Safari? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Adblock Plus on Safari in Yosemite is broken. Slows you down. Use another ad blocker on Safari

We were discussing adblockers on Chrome.

I don't use Safari because the adblocker simply doesn't really work because of the API limitations in Safari. (mentioned earlier in the thread)

This is a very common complaint all over the adblock plus forum but there is nothing they can do about it, so I choose to use Chrome instead.

nontroppo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Hm, I actually found the latest Chrome Canary on Yosemite pretty underwhelming performance wise. I use Opera, which is now a blink based browser (i.e. the same rendering engine) as Chrome. I was hoping the 64bit transition (Opera developer stream = Blink V38 is still 32bits), would be measurable, but trying Octane, Sunspider and a few other benchmarks (JS computation where I hoped 64bits would win big), and overall Opera was faster‽ I only hope this is a temporary regression of V39 of blink... The Chromium blog claimed big performance wins for Windows 32->64bit transition...

Also anyone using a chrome-based browser really should checkout µBlock, by far the most efficient blocking extension around at the moment:

µBlock vs. ABP — CPU & memory performance
µBlock vs Other — request blocking comparison

Built from scratch, with efficiency absolutely paramount (careful use of host parsing and cacheing to stop what adblock / adblock plus / adblock edge do which is inject huge amounts of excess code in every page)...

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I don't experience that but I also don't have a Retina screen. Although I do have an SSD.
Smooth scrolling is handled by the GPU, so SSD or HDD shouldn't make much of an impact. Anyway, my 27-inch iMac has a SSD, no retina screen and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M with 4GB of GDDR5 memory. So any performance issues on this machine are very much caused by software, not hardware. Probably has to do with the cross-platform nature of Chrome.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
While I use Chrome on my PC at work, Safari is much better on OS X. I avoid chrome on OS X given my prior history with it. (bloated, slow and causes instability)

smokesletsgo

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
Pfft. I would only use Chrome on Windows, the best place for it. On OS X Safari is way better for me and always have been. It has it's downsides, sure, like reloading websides when swiping back, but Chrome just looks horrible, feels horrible, nothing like Safari, especially the one on Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.