Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Left Firefox 31, right Safari 8.

Sadly Firefox is crashing a lot on Yosemite, so I can't really use it. Safari 8 is fine, but noticeably slower, specially scrolling in facebook, for instance.

Then there are some minor nuisances, like after all these years, I still can't choose where a downloaded file goes... ;)

I am rather sceptical about that speed-battle thing, because there is absolutely no documentation about what exactly and how exactly is benchmarked. Not to mention that such quick benchmark cannot be accurate. Running Octane 2.0 (which is a well-known, well-documented benchmark) on both Safari 8.0 and Firefox 8.0 results in Firefox being 25% times slower. The only area where Firefox is faster is asm.js, which is not surprising given that asm.js is Mozilla's initiative.

Similarly, Firefox is substantially slower in loading and scrolling websites on my retina machine. I am puzzled why you are getting a different result.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
I am rather sceptical about that speed-battle thing, because there is absolutely no documentation about what exactly and how exactly is benchmarked. Not to mention that such quick benchmark cannot be accurate. Running Octane 2.0 (which is a well-known, well-documented benchmark) on both Safari 8.0 and Firefox 8.0 results in Firefox being 25% times slower. The only area where Firefox is faster is asm.js, which is not surprising given that asm.js is Mozilla's initiative.

Similarly, Firefox is substantially slower in loading and scrolling websites on my retina machine. I am puzzled why you are getting a different result.

Oops... maybe created a monster, leman is right, don't take these results as gospel. That speed test is "down and dirty", my own experience with it has been its quick and gives me one data point without having to wait 15 or 20 minutes.

Experience tells me these numbers are way too far off, when you see differences like that you need to dive deeper. Most likely here the difference was environment not the browser.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I'll take a few milliseconds per page load and know my identity, shopping habits and "social graph" is nice an private like I prefer. Safari + Google Disconnect Extension + Facebook Disconnect Extension = Happiness.

As long as you actually believe what you've just stated, in your mind you're fine and that's all that matters. Just be sure to avoid reading about big data, that'll pop your security bubble in two milliseconds.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Adblock sucks on Safari, that's honestly the only reason I don't use it mostly. I would like to because the integration with my iPhone.

The API limits it, so it can't block preroll ads on Twitch.tv, for example. ABP does a lot more on Chrome.

It's unfortunate.

I feel like blocking ads are a kick in the face for the developers. They work hard creating these sites and some of the main forms of revenue is through advertisements that are so easily and readily blocked. I use adblock though, so I don't really follow my own principles :/

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I feel like blocking ads are a kick in the face for the developers. They work hard creating these sites and some of the main forms of revenue is through advertisements that are so easily and readily blocked. I use adblock though, so I don't really follow my own principles :/

I have maybe 10 sites whitelisted. Gaming sites I like and stuff. Never for video ads though. (Twitch, YT) Which happens to not be block able with Safari so it's unfortunate.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)

I couldn't agree more with you my friend, but while this is true some sites just over do it with more than ~ 50% of the site being advertisements :mad:

Last edited:

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
I have maybe 10 sites whitelisted. Gaming sites I like and stuff. Never for video ads though. (Twitch, YT) Which happens to not be block able with Safari so it's unfortunate.
Adguard for Safari is the best ad blocker I've used for Safari. Fast and more energy efficient than Adblock and ADP ever were.

----------

I'm guessing you have never used uBlock. Try it.

To put it simply, it's similar to AdBlock Plus but MUCH faster and it uses MUCH less processing power.
I just installed uBlock and it was using 110MB, whereas Adguard was using 70MB. I'll stick with Adguard.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Adguard for Safari is the best ad blocker I've used for Safari. Fast and more energy efficient than Adblock and ADP ever were.

----------

I just installed uBlock and it was using 110MB, whereas Adguard was using 70MB. I'll stick with Adguard.

Using it right now :) I am also using GlimmerBlocker Mac app and that's working on Youtube. (most of the time)

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
I don't really understand all this google chrome spyware bunk. Google Chrome's privacy policy explicitly states their privacy policy.

I find it perplexing as well. Almost every mainstream browser collects data on their user. Why everyone singles google out, I have no idea.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I don't really understand all this google chrome spyware bunk. Google Chrome's privacy policy explicitly states their privacy policy.

When I was using PC, Chrome is the only browser that had an applet running in Task all the time, even when you had quit the browser. Uninstalled immediately after I found that. I don't care about policies Google had. Safari had its Privacy policy yet Google hacked it.
Beside that, I found Chrome performance lacking compared to Safari on OSX so I only use it once in a while for pseudonym gmail.

Last edited:

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I find it perplexing as well. Almost every mainstream browser collects data on their user. Why everyone singles google out, I have no idea.

Agreed and if you use any extension like ghostery you'll soon realize that pretty much every website on the internet has at least like 2+ advert/analytic sites tracking you in some way.

This very forum right here has 8 trackers...

Google analytics
Neodata
NetRatings sitecensus
NetShelter
Quantcast
ScoreCard Research Beacons
VigLink
Ziff Davis

Last edited:

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Agreed and if you use any extension like ghostery you'll soon realize that pretty much every website on the internet pretty much has at least like 2+ advert/analytic sites tracking you in some way.

This very forum right here has 8 trackers...

Google analytics
Neodata
NetRatings sitecensus
NetShelter
Quantcast
ScoreCard Research Beacons
VigLink
Ziff Davis

Oh yeah, not to mention ad trackers. Ha! I don't mind them though since my wife earns a living off of it anyways!

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Trying Safari out lately. This happened today over and over.

Back to Chrome for now I guess....single websites taking up 12GB of RAM. Happened a bunch of times.

Screen_Shot_2014_08_28_at_1_07_49_AM.png

Last edited:

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
This is good news for me. Safari may be great for people that only use Apple devices and software, and may even be a little bit faster (I don't know because I don't use it), but Safari can't sync to Android, Windows, and Linux. So I'll stick with Chrome. What I'm wondering is... What the hell took them so long? Most software has been 64-bit for some time now.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino

Back to Chrome for now I guess....single websites taking up 12GB of RAM. Happened a bunch of times.

That 12GB number is really interesting, I wish I could see the process detail, kind of doesn't make sense.

You don't have 12GB used in total and memory pressure is relatively low. If you're curious and willing, next time that happens show the Inspector for that process with Activity Monitor. Also use the command line tool 'memory_pressure' for a more detailed system wide view.

Last edited:

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014

That's odd. I have had issues with Safari taking too much memory as well, but not 12gb worth :eek:

Try out Chrome Canary and tell me if you have similar problems, because I don't.

nontroppo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009

Myth:-µBlock-consumes-over-80MB — basically on startup all filter lists are parsed, µBlock then frees up its memory, but until there is a garbage collection from the browser it still shows as belonging to µBlock. All of the µBlock benchmarks are done after GC, and thus are a truer reflection of memory use...

If anyone wants to see the details of what requests are made on a webpage, HTTPSwitchboard has an excellent full matrix UI to detail what and where all requests are made:

screenshot1.png

https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard

Last edited:

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
That's odd. I have had issues with Safari taking too much memory as well, but not 12gb worth :eek:

Try out Chrome Canary and tell me if you have similar problems, because I don't.

I have Canary, I like it a lot. It's stupid fast.

Do you get the false "not responding" red lines on Activity Monitor? It shows Chrome helpers as not responding even though their fine. Been a problem for a while. Not a huge deal.

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Look at my usage. Over 100MB and i've been using it for an hour! :confused:
LMij3yX.png

----------

I have Canary, I like it a lot. It's stupid fast.

Do you get the false "not responding" red lines on Activity Monitor? It shows Chrome helpers as not responding even though their fine. Been a problem for a while. Not a huge deal.
Yeah I like the look and aesthetic of Safari 8, but like you've mentioned in previous posts... it's too much memory for a single tab.

Here's my activity monitor. Chrome has been red since OS X Lion for me. :confused:

VWjADjT.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.