Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devQ

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
AFAIK macOS still doesn't support daisy-chaining via DisplayPort (because it doesn't support the type of Multi-Stream Transport required for that), so... no.

Wait, what about USB-C? It has one for powering up Mac. Can other be used for connecting to other monitor?

davvid97

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
Here is the link to manual https://dl.dell.com/content/manual12109242-dell-u2723qe-monitor-user-s-guide.pdf?language=en-us ,
To my understanding - no, to connect to first monitor you can use usb-c cable (also graphic card need to be able to use MST and DSC(?)) and to connect another monitor to it you need to use Display cable(out) to display port-in in another monitor.
Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 18.23.25.png

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Wait, what about USB-C? It has one for powering up Mac. Can other be used for connecting to other monitor?
No. If you want to run two monitors from a Mac, they need to be connected to the Mac (or a Thunderbolt 3/4 dock/hub) via separate cables.

To my understanding - no, to connect to first monitor you can use usb-c cable (also graphic card need to be able to use MST and DSC(?)) and to connect another monitor to it you need to use Display cable(out) to display port-in in another monitor.
Correct. (You only need DSC for two daisy-chained "4K" monitors at 60 Hz.)

Last edited:

karen999

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Is the U2720Q so good for Mac ? Most people here say it is very good but I guess the text cannot be as sharp as a monitor having 180+ ppi. This is real question as I am thinking of selling my 24 inch 4k monitor and buy this new ultrasharp :)
I know right, still hasn't found a perfect replacement for my 2xP2415Q

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
It says 350 cd/m2 on their website, which isn't anything to write home about. The LG ultra fines had 500 cd/m2 brightness, which is noticeable.
Yep, as @davvid97 mentioned, I think you might have been on a different site? But I for both the 27" and 32" x23QE's, if you scroll down to the bottom where they list the tech specs, both monitors are 400 cd/m2 brightness. Still not great, but 400 vs 350 makes a difference.

mosylvestre

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2021
Discovered the U3223qe 10 mins ago and bought it 5 mins ago with student discount and some additional Cashback scheme for 750 euros (during those 5 mins, I was contemplating to go for the 27 inch one, but since I use it as a TV as well, the bog one was the better choice I think).
I have been searching for a well designed 32inch 4k monitor with decent specs for a while and I think this one looks absolutely beautiful. Very thrilled about the "IPS Black" thingy as well, I hope it holds up to expectations ?

davvid97

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
Discovered the U3223qe 10 mins ago and bought it 5 mins ago with student discount and some additional Cashback scheme for 750 euros (during those 5 mins, I was contemplating to go for the 27 inch one, but since I use it as a TV as well, the bog one was the better choice I think).
I have been searching for a well designed 32inch 4k monitor with decent specs for a while and I think this one looks absolutely beautiful. Very thrilled about the "IPS Black" thingy as well, I hope it holds up to expectations ?
Great! Please post a picture when you get it :) Design is great, I think about buying one too, with a student discount it is a great deal! Need to research if there are student discounts in Polish dell store too.

mosylvestre

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2021
Great! Please post a picture when you get it :) Design is great, I think about buying one too, with a student discount it is a great deal! Need to research if there are student discounts in Polish dell store too.
Will post a picture and my first impressions as soon as it is here and set up. The order status indicates that it's already produced (so they have some in stock) and ready to ship tomorrow ?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I assume any rumored Apple stand-alone monitor at 27 inch size would be considerably more expensive than this guy, for those more familiar with Apple's pricing than me?

If you're waiting on the Apple one, don't even be thinking about pricing.

If they release a standalone 27" or there about, I predict it will be $2499+

It will make no rational sense -- as is normally the case with Apple pricing

tldr -- If price is a consideration at all, buy whatever you want now and don't worry about Apple. Their monitor won't be a "deal" or anything (at all)

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2020
If you're waiting on the Apple one, don't even be thinking about pricing.

If they release a standalone 27" or there about, I predict it will be $2499+

It will make no rational sense -- as is normally the case with Apple pricing

tldr -- If price is a consideration at all, buy whatever you want now and don't worry about Apple. Their monitor won't be a "deal" or anything (at all)
Ya Apple pricing likely will be absurd. I'm "hoping" for $2000 for the 27" though given that existing 24"/27" lg ultrafine 4k models are $700 and $1200 (and go cheaper on sale - the LG 5k has been as low as 800-900 on sale).

Even $2000 would be a +66% upcharge vs the existing LG model (though mind you Apple may have a higher cost basis with microLED, 120hz promotion, 1000nits, etc). I guess $2500 is possible of course, with Apple citing it as less than half the cost of the XDR cost lol.

At some point I'll prob pickup an Apple monitor, maybe just a 24" if they offer that for $1000-$1500 range. In no rush though and would def try to bring down costs with gift cards, etc.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
U3223QE and U2723QE do both have 3.840 × 2.160 (60 Hz)!

So the big question is, will the 31.5" or the 27" Display be the best when using a mac.

As far as I read it's better to have "pixel doubling" than any resolution between because of performance issues under macOS while scaling?

What would you do? Is 31.5" too big for a desk setup and take 27", or is 27" too small?
And what resolution will you choose?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
So the big question is, will the 31.5" or the 27" Display be the best when using a mac.
The higher the pixel density, the better. That is, the smaller the monitor, the better. Neither are ideal as they're not close to the ideal 220 ppi.

As far as I read it's better to have "pixel doubling" than any resolution between because of performance issues under macOS while scaling?
Performance issues may be less of a problem than the slight blurriness introduced by scaling. But everyone is different.

And what resolution will you choose?
The one that provides me with a decent amount of screen estate. :)

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
I think I will go with the Dell... But still don't know if it should be 27" or 31.5".

Really like more screensize, but do think, that 27" is better concerning the resolution. If I will do 1920 x 1080 is double of it's native pixels. That sounds good.

31.5" and 1920 x 1080 is too big I think.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
31.5" and 1920 x 1080 is too big I think.
Fully agreed. Actually, I think 24” is too big for 1920×1080 but… everyone is different. :)

Do you really want a 27” or bigger monitor, or would you be OK with something smaller too?

EPO75

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Rotterdam
Aaargh it's this U32 or the LG UltraFine Display 32UQ85R yet to be released - both have pros and cons but can see LG having the better panel for colours but will cost more yet has less ports than Dell.

Dell - https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/del...onitors-monitor-accessories#techspecs_section

LG - https://pcmonitors.info/lg/lg-32uq85r-4k-ips-with-enhanced-contrast-ips-panel/
The LG has a really ugly chin.. i currently have the LG32UL950 which has perfect small bezels like the Dell. I ordered the Dell which should be here on Tuesday, hope it’s better then my current LG.

Armada2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
The LG has a really ugly chin.. i currently have the LG32UL950 which has perfect small bezels like the Dell. I ordered the Dell which should be here on Tuesday, hope it’s better then my current LG.

Close to pulling the trigger on the 32" Dell

Quick question @EPO75 - I take it since you are ordering the 32" DELL you are happy with the size and not too big with the LG? and what resolution do you use/will you use with your mac? as hear the higher the smaller the text etc but not seen it in person on a 32" if all good? Let us know your opinion :) Many thanks

mosylvestre

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2021
Agreed... when it comes to aesthetics, the Dell U3223QE looks way better than the LG 32UQ85R - for me it's not just the bottom bezel, but also the stand (and the fact that the Dell doesn't have an external power brick).

Also, I had ordered two LG monitors over the last 12 months (27UL850 and 32UN880) and sent both of them back due to quality control issues and overall haptics. I think Dell's build quality is just plain better.

Reactions: Armada2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.