Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EPO75

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Rotterdam
Nice, mine is still on schedule for tomorrow, very curious how it holds up to my current LG32UL950 as that one is 600nits and usually I use full brightness but the 2000:1 contrast on the Dell should made that less noticeable or not at all.

chekie

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
I am quite interested to see if the built-in 1G LAN port can perform consistently given how limited a single type-C connection is. There are even 5 discrete USB ports each rated at full 10G at the back / bottom. If these ports performance reasonably well I see this monitor as a really great general purpose dock + display solution for all MacBooks, particularly Airs or any other model with only 2 ports.
No way you can run LAN port and a few USB ports full speed at the same time, given the total data bandwidth for this USB C port is 10Gbps which can be saturated by just one USB port. But if you just use one port at a time (most likely the case for most users), and if you can OK with 24bit color depth instead of 30bit, they should perform very well.

Oxygen.O2

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2022
Really what I would want is that, but 120Hz and glossy. Why is apple the only one to make glossy screens really?
I'd love a 120Hz alternative to my UP2715K 5k glossy screen.
Oh my God, thank you, I'm not the only one! 4K/120hz/Glossy is actually non existant except for the huge 48" OLED C1 where 120hz is in fact not achievable (MacOS software limitation), then you have to go to gigabyte which have display port on basically the same TV but it's 1.5x more expensive, and still low DPI + huge screen... One day we will find the one.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Oh my God, thank you, I'm not the only one! 4K/120hz/Glossy is actually non existant except for the huge 48" OLED C1 where 120hz is in fact not achievable (MacOS software limitation), then you have to go to gigabyte which have display port on basically the same TV but it's 1.5x more expensive, and still low DPI + huge screen... One day we will find the one.
The LG C2 will have a smaller 42” size available. It may not solve all your problems, but it is a step nearer.

Oxygen.O2

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2022
The LG C2 will have a smaller 42” size available. It may not solve all your problems, but it is a step nearer.
Yes! I'll see, if they are smart, they will include some monitor feature like auto-sleep, and while I'm dreaming of the impossible, why not even a displayport, meanwhile... I'm looking at the U3223QE and he is looking at me, and we have some sort of attraction, my wallet is begging me not to lol

Reactions: Armada2

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
No way you can run LAN port and a few USB ports full speed at the same time, given the total data bandwidth for this USB C port is 10Gbps which can be saturated by just one USB port. But if you just use one port at a time (most likely the case for most users), and if you can OK with 24bit color depth instead of 30bit, they should perform very well.
Yes I suppose so, with a single type-C connection the bandwidth must be shared when all ports are taxed. There are Thunderbolt displays out there with even less ports than this type-C one.

I guess for typical home or even office use, the LAN port is only a nice-to-have, such that your connection is not limited by rather spotty WiFi say to your home server or NAS, while the user doesn't necessarily need full 1Gbps all the time like a video editor loading footages from another floor.

EPO75

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Rotterdam
I have the LG G1 for TV then, OLED is amazing but I don't think it is great for office work, at least not the LG version of OLED. The new Samsung OLED might be better for office work.

DaRock

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Did not realise there was this thread. Currently rocking the LG 27UL550 but also ordered the Dell and UPS just delivered it. Time to unbox and set up and see.

Attachments

• tempImagezl5Lnt.png
    tempImagezl5Lnt.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 347
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 330
  • Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 333

DaRock

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Stop teasing, show us the beast 😂
Here are some pictures. look stunning and super-thin bezel (last pic) and no gaps. Picture looks great, text seems sharp to me, videos are crisp. Will do more tests later or tomorrow. So far very happy to have it. Using 75% contrast and brightness by default and looks great.

Apologies, as am using iPhone X, and the lighting is not great.

Attachments

• Dell 2.jpg
    Dell 2.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 905
  • Dell 1.jpg
    Dell 1.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 907
  • Dell 3.jpg
    Dell 3.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 832
  • Dell 4.jpg
    Dell 4.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 790
  • Dell 5.jpg
    Dell 5.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 828
Last edited:

Oxygen.O2

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2022
Here are some pictures. look stunning and super-thin bezel (last pic) and no gaps. Picture looks great, text seems sharp to me, videos are crisp. Will do more tests later or tomorrow. So far very happy to have it. Using 75% contrast and brightness by default and looks great. The display port is charging my 2018 MacBook Pro...did not know DP can charge the MacBook also?

Apologies, as am using iPhone X, and the lighting is not great.
Looks stunning, do you have the reference of your stand? It looks like it matches the screen perfectly!

al233773

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2022
What is your monitor stand? looks nice...
I have the 27" and the 32" in delivery. I am approx. 60cm away so I am not sure whether the 32" is ok with the viewing distance...

DaRock

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Some short videos straight from the phone with the resolution changes and look at the bezel goodness.
Will do other tests later like USB speeds, Ethernet cable and other bits tomorrow.

DaRock

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Looks stunning, do you have the reference of your stand? It looks like it matches the screen perfectly!
Yeah the monitor stand name is here: Colebrook CBS FLO Dynamic Monitor Arm Mount with Desk Fixing DYN/013/010.
You can pick them up from ebay for a reasonable price in the UK anyway - not sure about US and any where else.herman Miller also do the same stand but over priced.

DaRock

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Reactions: al233773

davvid97

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
Did not realise there was this thread. Currently rocking the LG 27UL550 but also ordered the Dell and UPS just delivered it. Time to unbox and set up and see.
What do you think about the size comparing to 27 and the sharpness, what scaling option do you finally use?

Oxygen.O2

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2022
Wouaw bravo for your acquisition! I'm in Belgium, we are almost neighbours haha and luckily enough several shops have the stand! Well, I'll wait a full review for the 32 inch, I'm not in a hurry anyway... But yeah it looks good, I have the S2718D, I know the bezeless feeling, never going back, I just want a 32"/4K/120hz/glossy... 120hz is amazing even for simple tasks, not only for gaming, plus glossy have better color and deeper black ;(

DaRock

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
What do you think about the size comparing to 27 and the sharpness, what scaling option do you finally use?
Compared with the LG 27, your eyes and head travels left too right for sure as the real estate is bigger but nothingto be concerned about. Its difficult to say which one i prefer but i have always wanted a 32 inch display with great specs and a reasonably priced. Was looking at the new Benq PD3025U but that is not out and could not wait any longer. Not sure the Benq will have the new IPS Black tech in it either. Sharpness will go top the 27 but not by much in my opinion so far...need to use it for the work i do to really compare fairly. I will be using it mainly for video editing and design work.
I always think of the use case as that will play a major role in deciding.

For scaling am on 3840*2160 as that was what i was using before on the 27 LG 4K. Will run with it for a week and see how i get on using the apps i normally use. .

DaRock

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Wouaw bravo for your acquisition! I'm in Belgium, we are almost neighbours haha and luckily enough several shops have the stand! Well, I'll wait a full review for the 32 inch, I'm not in a hurry anyway... But yeah it looks good, I have the S2718D, I know the bezeless feeling, never going back, I just want a 32"/4K/120hz/glossy... 120hz is amazing even for simple tasks, not only for gaming, plus glossy have better color and deeper black ;(
Nice location. Yeah the stand is fantastic and you can set it to swivel 180 or 360 if you have room. I got it at 180 as my desk is deep at 90cm * 158cm. You can get really great deals on it from Ebay or your local shops if they have any promotions.
Yeah this bezeless feeling is just amazing and super happy with it. The whole design is super. Need to test this headphone jack and see if i can get audio out and can control the volume.

I think Dell or another monitor company is relasing a OLED gaming monitor but the price will be interesting. Yeah only if this had 120hz or variable refresh rate to 120hz that would be incredible with the new higher contrast to match.

Reactions: Oxygen.O2

eret9616

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
dell makes good monitor, personally, I like the matte coating in Dell, the reflection handling is so good, so I can use it under any light, prefer my dell monitor to my 120hz MacBook Pro screen, I think MacBook screen has bad response time even they are in 120hz, don't know why. maybe that's due to "35ms grey to grey response time"

Reactions: Armada2

DaRock

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
dell makes good monitor, personally, I like the matte coating in Dell, the reflection handling is so good, so I can use it under any light, prefer my dell monitor to my 120hz MacBook Pro screen, I think MacBook screen has bad response time even they are in 120hz, don't know why. maybe that's due to "35ms grey to grey response time"
I agree with the coating and good monitors. this one is the same great build from design to the stand. This stand is something else...the stand-alone is more if not the same as the monitor weight...so sold it's unbelievable.

Attachments

• Stand back.jpg
    Stand back.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 209
  • Stand.jpg
    Stand.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 216
  • Haha
Reactions: trifid and eret9616

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
For scaling am on 3840*2160 as that was what i was using before on the 27 LG 4K. Will run with it for a week and see how i get on using the apps i normally use. .
Wow, you used to run your 27 4K LG at the true 4K 3840 x 2160 resolution? I've tried that a few times with my 27" LG 4K UD-68 and text was way too small. Wouldn't even have a chance to see anything at normal viewing distance.

I'm sure it's a bit bigger on a 32" 4K, but still, you must have eagle eyes!

Reactions: mosylvestre
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.