Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Docsta80

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Absolutely do not spend $1000+ on the 15 pro max. It has a bug that causes making a phone call practically impossible. You have to reboot the phone and you can make maybe one call before it freezes up.

Siri also doesn’t work. It spins and thinks and then shuts down. No amount of rebooting the phone will cause it to work.

Reinstalling the os does nothing. Wiping the phone and doing a fresh install does nothing. The newest update 17.0.3 does not fix the problem.

I have a case with apple. It’s in the hands of the engineers. So far….nothing.

i Don’t know if this happens with other models of the 15 but I know at least 5 other people who are having this problem with the pro max.

DO. NOT. BUY.

It’s a $1000 paperweight.
Sounds like operator error to me

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
That’s easy. I’ve wiped the phone. Multiple times. the Tech at the Apple Store installed a fresh copy of the iOS. A few calls later….frozen. Without restoring any backup or apps.

i Doubt it’s a carrier issue in that the phone doesn’t dial at some point.

the glitch is effecting the phone app, Siri and the Apple Store app. The latter two simply never fully load.
Baseline software coding glitches do not typically happen to only a few users, but there are always a few oddballs, like the overheating glitch, which perhaps no test regime could have seen coming.

But 4 other collegues? That's statistically ludicrous, so I wonder about a flaw baked into a work "Profile" -- presuming your company uses MDM profiles to permit access to company data. Perhaps there's some other pattern you have in common that exposes you to some sort of surveillance process, planned or pwned, by any number of sophisticated tools.

Call fails seem like hardware, but there is software running in every nook and cranny. Consider running your next replacement 15 MaxUltraProWtf raw, out of box, no iCloud/Google, no data restore. Make some calls. Try WiFi to browse. If that works, then add your icloud/google account. If that works, try a data restore. If it blows up, check whether there might be any influence from your company IT environment. Do as much of that as possible at the genius bar, if they allow you the time.

jbmelby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Absolutely do not spend $1000+ on the 15 pro max. It has a bug that causes making a phone call practically impossible. You have to reboot the phone and you can make maybe one call before it freezes up.

Siri also doesn’t work. It spins and thinks and then shuts down. No amount of rebooting the phone will cause it to work.

Reinstalling the os does nothing. Wiping the phone and doing a fresh install does nothing. The newest update 17.0.3 does not fix the problem.

i Don’t know if this happens with other models of the 15 but I know at least 5 other people who are having this problem with the pro max.

DO. NOT. BUY.

Mine works beautifully; no issues at all. Everything just works. My two cents' worth.

blodyholy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
Iowa
Oh the sweet irony of me trying to post a reply about how I’ve had only minor issues with iOS 17, to then have Safari crash and take my nearly complete reply with it 🙄

At any rate, given that it’s 5 phones in a specific situation, it seems like (as others mention) it may be related to OP’s use-case. Manufacturing defects do happen, but assuming these 5 came right off the line together—what about those before and after…

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

AnClar

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Not a single issue for me and my wife making phone calls on our 15PM units, and we’ve been using them since we got them on launch day.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Consider running your next replacement 15 MaxUltraProWtf raw, out of box
LMAO.
But yeah, run out of box phone to see if anything change. Typical troubleshooting technique.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrederickR

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
Bath UK

DO. NOT. BUY.

Had mine for a week, lots of use. no problems

Reactions: canadianpj

droidgod

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
ive had the 15 Pro Max since launch and zero issues so far. It is the best iPhone ive ever owned so far (since the 6s).

Why does MR mods allow such sensational headlines? All these type of posts have only one intent - to troll!

Note, we all have to “trust” the OP, cause they say-so. Right….

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
ive had the 15 Pro Max since launch and zero issues so far. It is the best iPhone ive ever owned so far (since the 6s).

Why does MR mods allow such sensational headlines? All these type of posts have only one intent - to troll!

Note, we all have to “trust” the OP, cause they say-so. Right….

I can’t believe we endorse the OP’s title by posting in the thread. But then those who agree with the thread will continue to spread lies unabated!

What to do - what to do!

Free speech is evil! Why, why!

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Exchange it or get a refund. Being overdramatic and telling everyone not to buy a phone which clearly works for the majority of people is strange. I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max and have none of those problems.

In the millions of phones made it unfortunately makes sense that some will have an issue. Get it replaced and moved on. It happens, it sucks, but it happens.

Reactions: Berries-A-Million

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This is either a LIE, or a user specific problem. If a sizeable fraction of users cannot make phone calls, I’m sure Apple will be in the news, much worse than the “overheating” issue.

I tend to believe it’s the latter, but the former is very possible.

To the OP: This is the biggest Apple forum in the world. Not just a tiny fraction of users.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
This is either a LIE, or a user specific problem.
I don't think it's a lie, it's just an extreme overreaction for attention. Problems such as this will and do crop up in EVERY device made by anyone at this kind of scale. Not saying it should but it's going to happen. The proper thing to do is to just replace it what I don't believe are these people who say they go through 4-5 phone replacements.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Yes it was on CNN just this morning that nobody can call anybody anymore because all iPhone 15’s suck so I returned mine as soon as the Apple Store opened. I’m not willing to risk having this issue.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
It’s almost like it’s made up. Or the OP is being wilfully ignorant in describing the actual issue.
It’s almost like this place goes completely crazy every year around the same time and becomes unreadable. And the clickbait headlines they post don’t really help keep the trolls at bay.

Reactions: Howard2k

Apple2501

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2021
Kewl. Return it. It works for most people except for you and some of your friends. I returned the AirPods because they don't fit my ears. Buy a 14 or lower. Or go droid. It sucks but it's life.

GraXXoR

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Today I discovered 5 people - four colleagues - who have the same issue. They couldn’t call Apple because they can’t make phone calls. I directed them to chat support.

I also discovered another person through here with the same issue.

i thought it wa initially a hardware issue. But this is now two phones in a row with the same issue.

im sure Apple will repair it. Until then you should absolutely not spend $1000+ dollars on a phone that cannot make….phone calls.

If I buy a first class ticket to nyc I doubt I’d be happy that the plane made it to Cleveland.
Four colleagues around you and yet none around anyone else. So that’s a cluster of five colleagues with iPhone 15 Pro Maxes. Not pros, not regulars or pluses that are suffering this. Do you realise how extremely interesting a statistical probability that is?

Out of the tens of millions of sales, a cluster of five identical failures within a single social group…

Not only that but they replaced your phone already despite the long wait list, which means that’s at least six faulty iPhone Pro Maxes (not pros, pluses or regulars) within a single social cluster.

Apple will surely be very, very interested in those six phones’ usage cases. Because that is an absolutely incredible, unprecedented even, edge case for sure. Literally tens of billions to one chance. This kind of opportunity for Apple to research a failure model likely only comes once in a generation.

I’ve been following the social media here in Japan and haven’t heard a squeak so my situation will be of no interest to Apple or anyone in these forums.

Last edited:

GraXXoR

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
OP, if this is a genuine issue, use someone else's phone to record a video of your phone displaying this behavior, and post the video online. That's the only way you're going to legitimately prove that this is really happening.
And get your four colleagues to post the same video. Such a cluster of identical failures is super curious….

Reactions: Jumpthesnark
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.