Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
The OP joined Macrumors in 2010 (before I got my first iPhone which was an iPhone 4).

Then the OP made a post on the trouble shoot forum about the issue that got only a reply from a real newbie with the same issue. Nobody here helped or replied.

The OP then went to Apple and they could not solve the problem. Actually I have no idea why they just didn’t give the OP a new phone at the time (turns out they did).

At the end of the day the OP should have posted the issue here instead of the other forum and “that” post would have got the OP more sympathy and the OP probably would not have gone to the extreams that happened here.

Sure the OP was upset as most of us would be, but we may have played a small part in this as well by not addressing the original more rational request for help. Then we got the more confrontational posts here that probably scared the OP away.

I for one would like to apologize to the original poster and hope he or she can come back and as a community help the OP to have a fully functioning iPhone which is all the OP wanted in the first place.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Then the OP made a post on the trouble shoot forum about the issue that got only a reply from a real newbie with the same issue. Nobody here helped or replied.

Sure the OP was upset as most of us would be, but we may have played a small part in this as well by not addressing the original more rational request for help.
With more than 268,000 threads and 4.5 million posts in the iPhone forum alone, it's unreasonable to expect that any particular person, or group of people even saw the OP's original post on this issue. Not getting a reply to a thread is not justification for creating a new thread with a sensationalist headline, suggesting the world stops buying an iPhone simply because one or a handful of people have problems that haven't even been proven to be the result of defective devices.

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
It’s not silly. It’s a $1000 phone that doesn’t make….phone calls. Seems to me a fairly basic function. Of a $1000 PHONE.

this is also my second phone.

imagine needing to call 911 in an emergency. And it won’t make a call.
I used my iPhone 15 PM to call 911 the first day I had it ... it worked (turns out it was bad smoke alarm - all ok).

GraXXoR

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Slightly off topic but:

If you buy a Ferrari and it turns out it cannot drive, you are more likely to mention its price when you complain than if you bought a KIA.
In all fairness I don’t know a single Ferrari that can drive. Heck even some Teslas can’t.

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
I used my iPhone 15 PM to call 911 the first day I had it ... it worked (turns out it was bad smoke alarm - all ok).
BTW - my config, IOS 17.0.3, dual sim ATT/Tmobile, 5g on for both, on wifi most but not all the day (varied networks), cell enabled Apple Watch paired. Only issue I have had since launch is how much the fine woven case sucked

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
The OP joined Macrumors in 2010 (before I got my first iPhone which was an iPhone 4).

The OP then went to Apple and they could not solve the problem. Actually I have no idea why they just didn’t give the OP a new phone at the time (turns out they did).

At the end of the day the OP should have posted the issue here instead of the other forum and “that” post would have got the OP more sympathy and the OP probably would not have gone to the extreams that happened here.

Sure the OP was upset as most of us would be, but we may have played a small part in this as well by not addressing the original more rational request for help. Then we got the more confrontational posts here that probably scared the OP away.

I for one would like to apologize to the original poster and hope he or she can come back and as a community help the OP to have a fully functioning iPhone which is all the OP wanted in the first place.
Last I checked, he had no posts from between 2010 and 2023. That’s suspicious to me. What’s most likely than a 13 year old account springing back to life is that the username/password combo was exposed in a data leak of a different site and a malicious user hijacked the account*. Not sure why they’d post some weaksauce flame bait, but then again, it’s MacRumors and so many of the threads on here are weaksauce flame bait already.

* Already that seems more plausible than an abandoned account being reclaimed by the original user. Is the second scenario possible? Sure, I guess the user could have tried to create an account with their email address only to discover that they already had, then do the password reset option to reactivate the account. But why use MacRumors as your frontline troubleshooting effort if you’re not already an active user? Seems like any number of Apple related forums would be a more obvious choice.

Reactions: UltimaKilo

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
OP is exaggerating one or more of these claims. Imagine the odds:
  • Apple created software that makes it almost impossible to use a critical part of their most expensive iPhone, AND
  • Issue hasn't been reported anywhere else online, AND
  • Within a day, OP found 5 people close to him who ALL bought iPhone 15 Pro Maxes and have the same critical issue that no one else online has reported, AND
  • There just happened to be a fire at his condo complex last week that would have possibly necessitated using this critical function that he says is not functioning
The odds of all those things being true TOGETHER are simply astronomical.

Furthermore, let's play this out. OP says it's a software issue, not hardware. If that's the case, Apple could send a software update to fix this problem (if it were real). That wouldn't prevent people from buying the phone. A much more accurate title to this thread would be "Major issue with iPhone 15 PM software" or something to that effect.
And the odds that all the people I know with the iPhone Pro Max are very happy with it. Mine didn’t overheat is having no calling issues, has never frozen or refused to do what its supposed to do. Does make you wonder why them and 4 acquaintances are all having the same problem.

bluesteel310

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Start here. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255161323

note the number of “me too”.

keep in mind most people neither post or even peruse forums.

Why? Just read responses. I hoped against hope things might change over the years. Nope.

it’s officially a case with the Apple engineers.

Strangely I expect a $1000 phone to make phone calls. Every time.

If I owned a Porsche I would be more than a little upset if reverse didn’t work. Would advise people not to buy it.

play the video. Turn up the sound. This is what happens when you hit the 1 key. Or any key.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tsepz and BugeyeSTI

chaospet

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
Absolutely do not spend $1000+ on the 15 pro max. It has a bug that causes making a phone call practically impossible. You have to reboot the phone and you can make maybe one call before it freezes up.

Siri also doesn’t work. It spins and thinks and then shuts down. No amount of rebooting the phone will cause it to work.

Reinstalling the os does nothing. Wiping the phone and doing a fresh install does nothing. The newest update 17.0.3 does not fix the problem.

I have a case with apple. It’s in the hands of the engineers. So far….nothing.

i Don’t know if this happens with other models of the 15 but I know at least 5 other people who are having this problem with the pro max.

DO. NOT. BUY.

It’s a $1000 paperweight.

Sorry you’re having these problems. I’ve had the 15 pro max since launch and have had no issues like this at all.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Why? Just read responses. I hoped against hope things might change over the years. Nope.

If I owned a Porsche I would be more than a little upset if reverse didn’t work. Would advise people not to buy it.

play the video. Turn up the sound. This is what happens when you hit the 1 key. Or any key.
View attachment 2292130
Clearly, that's not normal. Taking it to Apple so they can investigate is the proper approach. If they can't initially fix it, you can either escalate to a higher level of tech support or demand a replacement or refund. The improper approach is to tell everyone not to buy an iPhone simply because you have a problem with yours.

Also, based on that thread, the issue was reported on 3 different iPhone models, the 12, 14 and 15. That's even more reason why it's irresponsible to blame the iPhone 15 Pro Max, since owners of other models are reporting similar issues.

If you want to be taken seriously in this thread, you may want to consider changing the thread title to something more appropriate, like "Having problems with my new iPhone".

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

View attachment 2292130

Your link says it is not a 15PM specific problem. Topic should have been „don’t buy ANY iphone!!“ ;)

• Haha
Reactions: kc9hzn

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Nasty bug but all you can do is wait for Apple to fix it and return to a phone running iOS 16 in the meantime.

chaospet

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011

View attachment 2292130
Come on now, your link goes to someone talking about their issues with the iphone 12. You’ve failed to show this is an issue with the 15 Pro Max.

Reactions: kc9hzn and BadBuoy

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Come on now, your link goes to someone talking about their issues with the iphone 12. You’ve failed to show this is an issue with the 15 Pro Max.
I really hate commenting on threads like this because I hate them getting pushed up in the list, but I have to say I'm actually really impressed that this one is only 9 pages so far, and most of the 9 pages are just people saying "yeah, ok, whatever". In the old days it would be in the hundreds by the end of the first day and Gizmodo would have a war room set up all based on this nothing issue that almost nobody is having.

Reactions: kc9hzn and chaospet

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Absolutely do not spend $1000+ on the 15 pro max. It has a bug that causes making a phone call practically impossible. You have to reboot the phone and you can make maybe one call before it freezes up.

Siri also doesn’t work. It spins and thinks and then shuts down. No amount of rebooting the phone will cause it to work.

Reinstalling the os does nothing. Wiping the phone and doing a fresh install does nothing. The newest update 17.0.3 does not fix the problem.

i Don’t know if this happens with other models of the 15 but I know at least 5 other people who are having this problem with the pro max.

DO. NOT. BUY.

I don't use my phone as a phone anyway. If I get a call, I just ignore it and then text the person, so this isn't a bug for me. It's a feature. lol.

• Haha
Reactions: I7guy and chaospet

OUsooner08

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
I’ve had ZERO issues with my 15 PM, it got warm during setup, but no warmer than the phone I was using to do the setup with.

Honestly I tend to side with the others who are skeptical, especially when new users or people who have posted very little come up with very hyperbolic posts, then follow it up with even more skeptical “data.”

I saw the same issue with “break gate” on the Apple forums, people saying they dropped their phone from their bed to a carpet floor and the back shattered. Then when you ask for photos….crickets.

Meanwhile, as counter evidence I posted pictures of my 14 PM back that was shattered after a 5.5 foot fall onto my kitchen tile floor whilst in a case rated for 6 foot falls, and again….crickets.

I find most of these types of post to fall in line with either trolls, or Android fans just trying to make waves post product launch.

As a developer on both iOS and Android I also see the same rubbish on the Android forums.

carriebeary

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2020

DO. NOT. BUY.

Sorry you are having these issues. I haven't had any problems with mine.

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023

DO. NOT. BUY.

With iOS 17.2.1... can I buy it now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.