Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a case on your iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 892 66.4%
  • Yes, but will be removing it

Votes: 56 4.2%
  • No

Votes: 302 22.5%
  • No, but will be getting one

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I drop phones a lot.

If i want to easily sell it after 2 years use at the highest price possible then put a case on it.
Because of you and other case users like you, someone else gets to enjoy a pristine device outside it's case should they choose to. You get top dollar for it of course, but someone else gets to enjoy the fruit of your labor.

No problem with that, I just always find it interesting - preserving a device for someone else to enjoy.

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
Because of you and other case users like you, someone else gets to enjoy a pristine device outside it's case should they choose to. You get top dollar for it of course, but someone else gets to enjoy the fruit of your labor.

No problem with that, I just always find it interesting - preserving a device for someone else to enjoy.
Case is less than $16...

There are many collectors of antique Apple products.

How else will they get a pristine copy if no one babies their brand new devices?

Before the iPhone i used to go case-less with my Nokia & Sony-Ericsson. When I sell it off it looks like it was owned by a bum.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Case is less than $16...

There are many collectors of antique Apple products.

How else will they get a pristine copy if no one babies their brand new devices?

Before the iPhone i used to go case-less with my Nokia & Sony-Ericsson. When I sell it off it looks like it was owned by a bum.
I have a series of self-made rules for myself that dictate how I handle my devices, where I place them, and whether or not I put them away in crowds. I am spatially aware of where my device is in space in relation to my hands and body, a thing picked up from years of handling phones without cases. I'm not perfect, I've dropped two phones sufficiently to require replacement. But both times I wasn't feeling well and was not paying attention.

I don't baby my phones, I just follow the rules I made for myself. One of those being that I use my phones with two hands, always.

Most case-users don't want to be bothered with any of that.

Below, iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3a XL, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 5. None of these phones have ever seen a case. The 6 Plus is new to me since August 2023 so I can't vouch for if it saw a case before me. There is a ding in the back, but I did not put that there.
2024-02-04 09.08.44.jpg 2024-02-04 09.10.03.jpg

Last edited:

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
I have a series of self-made rules for myself that dictate how I handle my devices, where I place them, and whether or not I put them away in crowds. I am spatially aware of where my device is in space in relation to my hands and body, a thing picked up from years of handling phones without cases. I'm not perfect, I've dropped two phone sufficiently to require replacement. But both times I wasn't feeling well and was not paying attention.

I don't baby my phones, I just follow the rules I made for myself. One of those being that I use my phones with two hands, always.

Most case-users don't want to be bothered with any of that.

Below, iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3a XL, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 5. None of these phones have ever seen a case. The 6 Plus is new to me since August 2023 so I can't vouch for if it saw a case before me. There is a ding in the back, but I did not put that there.
View attachment 2345418 View attachment 2345419
You appear to not sell your devices. So my way of doing things does not apply.

Reactions: landonalder

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You appear to not sell your devices. So my way of doing things does not apply.
No, I do not sell them. Which, if you think about it, means I don't have to care about how my devices look. Because I am not selling them.

Yet I do (care about how my devices look), so I take care of my devices. Which means, had I gone to sell them I could have gotten the same price for them that you do/did. Without having used a case.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I've never understood wanting to protect something so badly that you never get to actually enjoy it for what it is.

Personally, I don't like damage.
For some people, including myself, it's difficult to enjoy something that's damaged that shouldn't be.
And to take it a step further, it's VERY difficult to enjoy something that's either irreparably damaged, or only repairable at great expense and hassle.
A case and screen protector greatly minimize those possibilities, and adds to the enjoyment of the device, as does not having to fret about the result of an accidental drop (and the vast majority of people probably drop their phones occasionally).

Last edited:

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
For some people, including myself, it's difficult to enjoy something that's damaged that shouldn't be.
And to take it a step further, it's VERY difficult to enjoy something that's either irreparably damaged, or only repairable at great expense and hassle.
A case and screen protector greatly minimize those possibilities, and adds to the enjoyment of the device, as does not having to fret about the result of an accidental drop (and the vast majority of people probably drop their phones occasionally).
I am with you on that. I do not want to suffer repair bills exceeding the cost of $14.35 case.

For me the case is sufficient. Screen protectors diminishes the screen response.

I get that others do not pocket their phones the same way I do hence the need for a screen protector.

I want to sell a device as blemish-free as possible so I get the best return from those who can only afford a used phone to be used or a collector's new toy.

Like many here, I drop my phone a lot so a case gives peace of mind.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I am with you on that. I do not want to suffer repair bills exceeding the cost of $14.35 case.

For me the case is sufficient. Screen protectors diminishes the screen response.

I get that others do not pocket their phones the same way I do hence the need for a screen protector.

I want to sell a device as blemish-free as possible so I get the best return from those who can only afford a used phone to be used or a collector's new toy.

Like many here, I drop my phone a lot so a case gives peace of mind.
Yep, depends on the environment and usage.......
I spend a lot of time on hiking trails (sand, dirt, gravel, rocks, etc) and have damaged several screen protectors, but never the screen.
The possible disadvantages of a screen protector are worth the trade off for the protection for me.
My phone is in and out of my pocket frequently (camera, hiking apps, etc) so there's many opportunities for a drop.
Also, I splurged on the cost of my case (😱$25! on a Gripzilla!😱) which has saved me a whole lot of dough!

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I can absolutely appreciate that take. For myself, I like the texture that nicks and scratches add, and generally don't get in the way of enjoying the device. Screen scratches (that aren't from something like sand paper, mind you) disappear when the screen is active. To me it becomes like an old guitar or skateboard that tells a story over time.

• Love
Reactions: Hele and Splitrail

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I can absolutely appreciate that take. For myself, I like the texture that nicks and scratches add, and generally don't get in the way of enjoying the device. Screen scratches (that aren't from something like sand paper, mind you) disappear when the screen is active. To me it becomes like an old guitar or skateboard that tells a story over time.
Some call that "patina" 😀.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
What exactly is there to enjoy about our mass produced iPhones aesthetically than a case prevents exactly?
Touching the damn thing. All these high-end materials that are, in and of themselves, selected for their durability and we're just going to cover them up with plastic. I don't concede to the possibility that my phone will break because I generally keep it close and am mindful with it. The last time I smashed a phone screen was iPhone 4 and I've had five upgrades since then.

Reactions: Hele and eyoungren

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Touching the damn thing. All these high-end materials that are, in and of themselves, selected for their durability and we're just going to cover them up with plastic. I don't concede to the possibility that my phone will break because I generally keep it close and am mindful with it. The last time I smashed a phone screen was iPhone 4 and I've had five upgrades since then.

I don’t share the view the materials are durable, in fact I’ve been horrified in recent years how easily iPhones get damaged. I witnessed a lad sitting on a curb in London drop his purple 14 Pro from about 150mm to the floor and the back glass was entirely shattered. A friend of mine dropped his iPhone 12 from waist height a couple of years ago and the front and back shattered. Both very expensive repairs.

As someone who drops his iPhone at least once a week in some form, I don’t have the time to be contacting Apple weekly and going without a phone just to experience this slippery and harsh feeling phone in my hands. I just don’t get it to be honest and wouldn’t want the enormous expense. Each to their own though and if damage is your thing and you see something in the design others don’t, go for it.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
What exactly is there to enjoy about our mass produced iPhones aesthetically than a case prevents exactly?
I don't like damage, and a case doesn't detract from my enjoyment or use of the mass produced iPhone.
Actually, the grippy texture adds to the enjoyment in that I feel confident that I won't drop the slippery devil in daily use AND it rounds off the square edges of the phone making it more comfortable in my hand, as do the finger grooves molded into the case.
I'll add this, though it doesn't apply to me................How many threads have you seen of people enjoyably searching, buying, or trading cases for that "Holy Grail" of a case that either suits them aesthetically, feature-wise, or both?

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't like damage, and a case doesn't detract from my enjoyment or use of the mass produced iPhone.
Actually, the grippy texture adds to the enjoyment in that I feel confident that I won't drop the slippery devil in daily use AND it rounds off the square edges of the phone making it more comfortable in my hand, as do the finger grooves molded into the case.
I'll add this, though it doesn't apply to me................How many threads have you seen of people enjoyably searching, buying, or trading cases for that "Holy Grail" of a case that either suits them aesthetically, feature-wise, or both?

I couldn’t agree more as I like the extra grip a case adds and the improvement it makes to a design than is less than ergonomic for the hand. Most of my drops seem to be either the phone being knocked off the arm of the sofa or missing my pocket when putting it away. Thankfully I’ve not smashed a phone for years. I do have young children though and porcelain floors, not the best mix for a fragile device. My wife has smashed a couple and broke her iPhone 5 back in 2013 quite spectacularly when she managed to slam it in the car door after it slipped from her lap. A case wouldn’t have made a difference though:

e41f7b1ba56447504527894e647ee25a.jpg

Reactions: JonnyMacx86

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
I don’t share the view the materials are durable, in fact I’ve been horrified in recent years how easily iPhones get damaged. I witnessed a lad sitting on a curb in London drop his purple 14 Pro from about 150mm to the floor and the back glass was entirely shattered. A friend of mine dropped his iPhone 12 from waist height a couple of years ago and the front and back shattered. Both very expensive repairs.

As someone who drops his iPhone at least once a week in some form, I don’t have the time to be contacting Apple weekly and going without a phone just to experience this slippery and harsh feeling phone in my hands. I just don’t get it to be honest and wouldn’t want the enormous expense. Each to their own though and if damage is your thing and you see something in the design others don’t, go for it.
I've dropped my 2014 to 2024 iPhones from a 1 meter height and all survived blemish-free because it was inside a simple $15 case.

If I didn't buy that cheap case I'd expect at least $150 worth of parts & labor per incident.

I also live in a poor country where min wage is $1/hr. Having a naked $1199 iPhone that is easily seen will not bode well for your personal health and safety.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021

Couldn't the increased value of something well cared for offset the cost of a case to protect it with?
I know that I'd prefer to spend more on an item were I confident that it had an owner that kept it in excellent maintained condition.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Couldn't the increased value of something well cared for offset the cost of a case to protect it with?
I know that I'd prefer to spend more on an item were I confident that it had an owner that kept it in excellent maintained condition.
Let me ask a question…since you know I do not use cases. This is all hypothetical of course because I doubt you are actually looking for my model of iPhone. ;)

Anway…

Two sellers, me and someone else have the iPhone 11 Pro Max you are looking to buy (I told you it was hypothetical, :D). Both of us present to you pristine iPhones, well cared for and maintained in excellent condition. You can even get that verified by Apple that the devices pass diags (or whatever verification you wish).

Again this is a hypothetical, but let's say I'm selling for $5 (I'm not, but you get the idea) but the other buyer wants $7 for theirs. You can see absolutely no difference between the two and verified proof tells you there is none. Both are absolutely equal.

But then the other seller tells you that theirs was in a case the entire time. Mine was not.

Whose phone do you buy?

Personally, for me I'd buy it from myself. It's $2 cheaper and I know it was maintained. I'd be paying extra for…what exactly?

So yes, I think there is increased value in something well cared for. But a case doesn't automatically mean well cared for.

My daughter drops her iPhone SE2 all the time. Typically on concrete. She's careless. But the phone is inside an Otterbox Defender Pro. If I go to sell her SE2 and because of the case it means the device is 'pristine', does that mean it was 'well-cared for'?

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
An update for me-
For the last few months on my SE3 (first phone that I’ve felt I needed a case because it felt easy to drop because of its larger size and rounded shape, which I did have a case on for a bit but found it annoyingly bulky and grippy) I decided to try clear grip tape—one wide strip across the back of the phone and wrapping around the sides—and that little hack has been enough to free me of the need for a case. The added grip has been sufficient that I again feel secure holding it. I still can’t use it one-handed in as many situations as I could my previous smaller phones, but it’s night and day better, and I get to enjoy a practically-naked phone again. I still use a case for activities like hiking though.
This hack was supposed to be temporary until I get an official skin, plus because the tape starts to bubble and peel after about a month or two, but it works so well and lasts long enough and is easy enough to replace that I haven’t been bothered to find a skin, plus in my initial search I couldn’t find a clear one, nor advertised to be grippy. I may never bother 🤷‍♂️

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I absolutely agree with you. I dread damage. Typically, that can have results I don't intend as trying to be 'careful' results in doing the damage I was trying to avoid. Most of the time though I manage to put that aside in my mind.

But this is why I made rules for myself. I can avoid using a case and a majority of the time avoid damage. I don't always avoid dropping something of course, but I think only killing two iPhones since 2012 is pretty good.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Let me ask a question…since you know I do not use cases. This is all hypothetical of course because I doubt you are actually looking for my model of iPhone. ;)

Anway…

Two sellers, me and someone else have the iPhone 11 Pro Max you are looking to buy (I told you it was hypothetical, :D). Both of us present to you pristine iPhones, well cared for and maintained in excellent condition. You can even get that verified by Apple that the devices pass diags (or whatever verification you wish).

Again this is a hypothetical, but let's say I'm selling for $5 (I'm not, but you get the idea) but the other buyer wants $7 for theirs. You can see absolutely no difference between the two and verified proof tells you there is none. Both are absolutely equal.

But then the other seller tells you that theirs was in a case the entire time. Mine was not.

Whose phone do you buy?

Personally, for me I'd buy it from myself. It's $2 cheaper and I know it was maintained. I'd be paying extra for…what exactly?
I get your point.
I'd probably buy the one that was cased, if there was verifiable proof that it was so.
I know from past posts that you are confident in your care of your phones, and given that, I'd feel confident in buying a phone from you, as I would from, say, a close friend.
However, I doubt that there are many of the same used quality and equivalent model phones out there for sale to choose from at any given time, and I don't know that I'd necessarily trust someone else that I don't know.
Theoretically, of course.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

As I've said in the past (and probably in response to you at some point) the two times I have sufficiently dropped an iPhone to warrant repair or replacement I was not feeling well and therefore not paying attention.

The last phone was my 11 PM (the one I have now is the replacement). I dropped it on to concrete and it hit back down. But, it hit in such a way that the shock traveled through the casing to crack the screen from the inside.

Yeah, so under AC+ the replacement was $99.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I get your point.
I'd probably buy the one that was cased, if there was verifiable proof that it was so.
I know from past posts that you are confident in your care of your phones, and given that, I'd feel confident in buying a phone from you, as I would from, say, a close friend.
However, I doubt that there are many of the same used quality and equivalent model phones out there for sale to choose from at any given time, and I don't know that I'd necessarily trust someone else that I don't know.
Theoretically, of course.
Yeah, totally get that. I'm part of a minority. Most people who do not use cases aren't generally caring about their phones or their stuff in general. Or - damage just doesn't bother them.

I'm not out to buy a wreck of a phone. My most recent purchase was a 6 Plus that has a small little pin-punch like dent in the back towards the bottom. And the headphone jack is bad. But this isn't a primary phone and I don't use the headphone jack. Everything else was/is near perfect. So, for $65 I got it. After a new battery the phone works just fine.

But if I was in the market for a primary phone, this wouldn't have been acceptable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.