Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a case on your iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 892 66.4%
  • Yes, but will be removing it

Votes: 56 4.2%
  • No

Votes: 302 22.5%
  • No, but will be getting one

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Yeah, totally get that. I'm part of a minority. Most people who do not use cases aren't generally caring about their phones or their stuff in general. Or - damage just doesn't bother them.

I'm not out to buy a wreck of a phone. My most recent purchase was a 6 Plus that has a small little pin-punch like dent in the back towards the bottom. And the headphone jack is bad. But this isn't a primary phone and I don't use the headphone jack. Everything else was/is near perfect. So, for $65 I got it. After a new battery the phone works just fine.

But if I was in the market for a primary phone, this wouldn't have been acceptable.
This! :rolleyes:
and..............
Sometimes utility & price overcome "pickiness"! :p

Reactions: eyoungren

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As I've said in the past (and probably in response to you at some point) the two times I have sufficiently dropped an iPhone to warrant repair or replacement I was not feeling well and therefore not paying attention.

The last phone was my 11 PM (the one I have now is the replacement). I dropped it on to concrete and it hit back down. But, it hit in such a way that the shock traveled through the casing to crack the screen from the inside.

Yeah, so under AC+ the replacement was $99.

Yeah I am aware of your situation and have said before I think you have quite an unusual method/procedure of looking after your phone, which clearly works for you. You have specific places to put your phone and rules for your family and it’s not something I can relate to personally.

I am in a lot of places and my phone is used and put down on many surfaces from boardroom tables, my desk, used outside a lot when recording product testing where it’s propped up on things or placed on concrete. I also let my young children use my iPhone so can’t be overly precious with it. If I didn’t use a case, I’d be smashing it a couple of times a week and it would soon attract many scratches at the very least. I also don’t like the feel of iPhones without cases as they don’t, to me, feel that nice to hold with their slippery surfaces and sharp edges. I like a plain slim case for grip and to tone down the aesthetic too, especially the shiny edges etc. I don’t sit and wonder at the design or am in any way interested in others knowing what phone I use, so I’m very different but also perhaps more in a majority these days. I don’t know.

Different strokes for different folks I say.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah I am aware of your situation and have said before I think you have quite an unusual method/procedure of looking after your phone, which clearly works for you. You have specific places to put your phone and rules for your family and it’s not something I can relate to personally.

I am in a lot of places and my phone is used and put down on many surfaces from boardroom tables, my desk, used outside a lot when recording product testing where it’s propped up on things or placed on concrete. I also let my young children use my iPhone so can’t be overly precious with it. If I didn’t use a case, I’d be smashing it a couple of times a week and it would soon attract many scratches at the very least. I also don’t like the feel of iPhones without cases as they don’t, to me, feel that nice to hold with their slippery surfaces and sharp edges. I like a plain slim case for grip and to tone down the aesthetic too, especially the shiny edges etc. I don’t sit and wonder at the design or am in any way interested in others knowing what phone I use, so I’m very different but also perhaps more in a majority these days. I don’t know.

Different strokes for different folks I say.
Just to clarify, the rules are only for myself. They are self-made rules as a result of having damaged or dropped other things (or almost done so) at various points in my life. I do not impose them on my wife (as if she'd let me!) or my family, just me. And sometimes I don't follow my own rules, usually to my regret.

And for the record, my wife uses cases. She's done some things with her phones over the years that makes me cringe but the case she had on protected the device. For my daughter I made her put a case on - I bought her phone new after all and she is careless. My son, I've never had to worry about or even discuss anything about it. He's always handled his devices fine and he does not use cases.

In your situation (and I have also mentioned this in the past) I would use a case too. But my occupation and my lifestyle has me at a desk in front of a computer for a large part of the day. The risk to my phones/devices is thus minimal.

So yeah, we're all different.

Reactions: Splitrail

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Just to clarify, the rules are only for myself. They are self-made rules as a result of having damaged or dropped other things (or almost done so) at various points in my life. I do not impose them on my wife (as if she'd let me!) or my family, just me. And sometimes I don't follow my own rules, usually to my regret.

And for the record, my wife uses cases. She's done some things with her phones over the years that makes me cringe but the case she had on protected the device. For my daughter I made her put a case on - I bought her phone new after all and she is careless. My son, I've never had to worry about or even discuss anything about it. He's always handled his devices fine and he does not use cases.

In your situation (and I have also mentioned this in the past) I would use a case too. But my occupation and my lifestyle has me at a desk in front of a computer for a large part of the day. The risk to my phones/devices is thus minimal.

So yeah, we're all different.
Why don't you use a case?
Do you dislike them for some reason?

DutchApplePie

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2023
I like going caseless but I have a leather case just in case (that's a lot of 'cases'). If I'm going to cover up my phone, might as well cover it with something premium.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Why don't you use a case?
Do you dislike them for some reason?
A few reasons…

• I prefer the tactile feel and the natural look of the phone/device itself. That's what I bought it for, not the feel and look of a case.
• I have seen few cases where the design is as good as or trumps the design of the iPhone itself.
• I don't like something in between me and the phone/device. Even with ultra slim cases there is added bulk and some make it harder to use the touchscreen. I don't like cases that fold over the screen because I have to open them to actually use my phone/device.
• I don't like the expense of more premium cases, but lower cost cases offer less protection and stand up less to wear and tear.
• Some, but not all, cases allow for debris, dust and other foreign particles to get in between the device and the case. That can make the case look grungy and actually damage the device.
• Case maintenance was not in the original plan of buying the device/phone.
• Cases tend to prevent that 'patina' you mentioned earlier. I don't care for dents, bangs, scrapes, bends, cracks or any other damage like that but to my mind a phone that has some of this 'patina' is a perfect example of a seasoned tool. Finally, that patina is mine. Only my device has that and it's unique to me.

There are some awesome cases out there that either look great or can minimize all this, but they are still a case and stand inbetween me and the device.

Last edited:

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
A few reasons…

• I prefer the tactile feel and the natural look of the phone/device itself. That's what I bought it for, not the feel and look of a case.
• I have seen few cases where the design is as good as or trumps the design of the iPhone itself.
• I don't like something in between me and the phone/device. Even with ultra slim cases there is added bulk and some make it harder to use the touchscreen. I don't like cases that fold over the screen because I have to open them to actually use my phone/device.
• I don't like the expense of more premium cases, but lower cost cases offer less protection and stand up to less wear and tear.
• Some, but not all, cases allow for debris, dust and other foreign particles to get in between the device and the case. That can make the case look grungy and actually damage the device.
• Case maintenance was not in the original plan of buying the device/phone.
• Cases tend to prevent that 'patina' you mentioned earlier. I don't care for dents, bangs, scrapes, bends, cracks or any other damage like that but to my mind a phone that has some of this 'patina' is a perfect example of a seasoned tool. Finally, that patina is mine. Only my device has that and it's unique to me.

There are some awesome cases out there that either look great or can minimize all this, but they are still a case and stand inbetween me and the device.
Thanks, just wondered.
😎

stingazg

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2022
Southern California
Personally always use a case on the phone, Spigen cases for the WIN here, Currently with the 14 Pro Max I have the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Frost Black. Normally I don't use screen protectors but I somehow got a massive glass gash in my front glass so about a year after I got my phone I put one on, Let's just say I will be using screen protectors going forward

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Not a huge fan of cases tbh and I do sometimes take it out when I’m at home.

This Casekoo from Amazon on my 14 Pro has to be the best I’ve tried. Love the frosted coating on the back and all surfaces nice & grippy, the buttons are tactile and clicky too. Decent all round protection.

Also using a matte glass screen protector.

Attachments

• IMG_1664.jpeg
    IMG_1664.jpeg
    859.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1796.jpeg
    IMG_1796.jpeg
    469.6 KB · Views: 91

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
I keep going back to the FineWoven case 😶. I just love how thin it is. Mine has held up well. I'm not sure if it was the luck of the draw or what, but I've had no problems with it.

Tru3B1u3

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023
Otterbox Defender

These modern phones are metal sandwiches on fragile glass bread.

Repair costs are too expensive for my liking.

$299 for a back glass replacement for a $599 13 Mini?

Eww

Last edited:

Jgboys1

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
Otterbox Defender

These modern phones are fragile metal sandwiches on glass bread.

Repair costs are too expensive for my liking.

$299 for a back glass replacement for a $599 13 Mini?

Eww
I hear you! I use a Speck case with a screen protector.
I usually keep my phone for 3 years and then resell it.
I want it as pristine as possible so when I go sell it I can get good resale value!

Reactions: Tru3B1u3

Spank7

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2024
Greece
I use case on all my phones and for my favorite iPhone 15 Pro nothing less than Spigen Mag Armor (MagFit)

salutcemoi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2021
I couldn’t agree more as I like the extra grip a case adds and the improvement it makes to a design than is less than ergonomic for the hand. Most of my drops seem to be either the phone being knocked off the arm of the sofa or missing my pocket when putting it away. Thankfully I’ve not smashed a phone for years. I do have young children though and porcelain floors, not the best mix for a fragile device. My wife has smashed a couple and broke her iPhone 5 back in 2013 quite spectacularly when she managed to slam it in the car door after it slipped from her lap. A case wouldn’t have made a difference though:

e41f7b1ba56447504527894e647ee25a.jpg
FqPaPFWWIAQA-lU.jpg:large

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I'd prefer not to use a case but Apple makes the backside so slippery a case is needed. I mean what's the point of making a nice pretty backside if it has to be covered in a case? I'd much prefer a grippy backside and go case-less They sell cases, they also repair backsides that broke. Hmmm, If they make a grippier backside they wouldn't make as much money. Always about the Benjamins, always.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'd prefer not to use a case but Apple makes the backside so slippery a case is needed. I mean what's the point of making a nice pretty backside if it has to be covered in a case? I'd much prefer a grippy backside and go case-less They sell cases, they also repair backsides that broke. Hmmm, If they make a grippier backside they wouldn't make as much money. Always about the Benjamins, always.
I think the back being slippery is subjective. I have the 11 Pro Max and despite the rear glass being more 'slippery' than say the metal back of my 6s Plus and 6 Plus, I find no need to use a case.

Admittedly, I did drop my 11 Pro Max once and sufficiently to require replacement. That was one year after getting the phone and using it for an entire year caseless. The particular day I dropped it, I was sick and not paying attention.

The replacement did not go in a case. My lack of attention was the problem, not having a case. Sure a case might have prevented the damage, but I wouldn't have dropped it in the first place if I'd had my attention on what I was doing.

It's been two years and my 11 Pro Max looks the same as the day I got it. Of course it helps that I don't have a physical job, I work from home and only get out to drive people around and pick them up. I sit at a desk in front of computers for 16+ hours a day so my phones see little danger.

But I still don't see the back being as slippery as you seem to make it out to be.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I think the back being slippery is subjective. I have the 11 Pro Max and despite the rear glass being more 'slippery' than say the metal back of my 6s Plus and 6 Plus, I find no need to use a case.

Admittedly, I did drop my 11 Pro Max once and sufficiently to require replacement. That was one year after getting the phone and using it for an entire year caseless. The particular day I dropped it, I was sick and not paying attention.

The replacement did not go in a case. My lack of attention was the problem, not having a case. Sure a case might have prevented the damage, but I wouldn't have dropped it in the first place if I'd had my attention on what I was doing.

It's been two years and my 11 Pro Max looks the same as the day I got it. Of course it helps that I don't have a physical job, I work from home and only get out to drive people around and pick them up. I sit at a desk in front of computers for 16+ hours a day so my phones see little danger.

But I still don't see the back being as slippery as you seem to make it out to be.
Yes you're right about it being subjective I failed to mention that. However, I like many others are quite OCD about their phones and like to keep them clean so avoid touching the screen when removing the phone from a pocket. The biggest risk to me is pulling it out of a back pocket with no case that is when it's most likely to slip out of my grasp and fall on something bad. I hate fingerprinting the screen or smudging it or the back side either so I usually pull it by grasping the sides which is probably not the best way for safety sake. I will continue to use a case, enjoy yours without.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes you're right about it being subjective I failed to mention that. However, I like many others are quite OCD about their phones and like to keep them clean so avoid touching the screen when removing the phone from a pocket. The biggest risk to me is pulling it out of a back pocket with no case that is when it's most likely to slip out of my grasp and fall on something bad. I hate fingerprinting the screen or smudging it or the back side either so I usually pull it by grasping the sides which is probably not the best way for safety sake. I will continue to use a case, enjoy yours without.
Fingerprints and smudges are one of the things I was forced to surrender to with my first smartphone I don't care for it either, but after dropping my HTC Touch Pro face down on concrete, then in reaching to pick it up accidentally kicking it, I let that go. At the time I was trying to avoid smudging the screen. So, I told myself that if I wanted to continue to use smartphones without a case I'd rather accept smudges on the screen instead of dropping it and damaging it.

That Touch Pro was a tank with a plastic screen, so fortunately there was minimal damage to it. But I learned from that. I periodically wipe my phones down, but aside from that it's something I've learned to live with in order to continue going caseless.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
My 15 Pro has been in a case ever since it come out of the box 2 weeks ago, but I’ve just been using it case less for the last hour at home and boy does it feel good in the hand naked! lol Better than the 14 Pro I had with the sharp stainless steel edges. Looks amazing too!

The titanium frame does seem to show smudges and marks though.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
I tried again to use my 14 PM with a case, but I’m not able to: I prefer a lot the feel of the stainless steal and glass, caseless is lighter and I don’t have really big problems with one hand use. Just a little bit more careful while walking with my son and/or my dog, when sitting in and exiting by the car.

Really few scratches not so much visible that don’t bother me. I hope that when I will upgrade in 2026-2027 I will not spend as much money in case that I will not use as I did for 6-7-8 plus-XS-12 mini and 14 PM 😂

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I was cooking pancakes this morning for my daughters and browsing on my iPhone one handed and I dropped it straight onto my porcelain floor. It’s not uncommon for me to drop my phone and this reminds me why I have a case. The Caudabe Sheath is a great case too and has saved me on so many drops. It’s slim and sleek looking too.

Reactions: eyoungren and geta
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.