Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a case on your iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 892 66.4%
  • Yes, but will be removing it

Votes: 56 4.2%
  • No

Votes: 302 22.5%
  • No, but will be getting one

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was cooking pancakes this morning for my daughters and browsing on my iPhone one handed and I dropped it straight onto my porcelain floor. It’s not uncommon for me to drop my phone and this reminds me why I have a case. The Caudabe Sheath is a great case too and has saved me on so many drops. It’s slim and sleek looking too.
My daughter brought me her SE2 this week because the tip of the lightning cable she was using had broken off inside the port. That got resolved easily and for free at the repair shop I go to (her phone is well out of warranty). But I remark on it here because when she handed me the phone she had it out of the case (Otterbox Defender Pro).

As you know, I do not use cases for myself, but her SE2 was a brand new buy at the time we got it and I didn't want it destroyed like she'd done to my wife's 6s. So, into a case it went. God only knows the drops that have happened to that phone when I'm not around, but I have seen her drop it face down on concrete getting out of the car. So, when she handed it to me the other day I was quite happy to see it undamaged (including the screen).

At this point, if she chooses to have it out of a case I'm not going to say anything because the phone is paid off and unlocked. But she'll have to deal with any damage she creates for herself. She's been told that a cheap, basic Android phone is in her future if she damages anything. So this is all on her now.

Reactions: Andeddu

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Loving using my 15 Pro naked, just can’t beat the look and in hand feel! No accidents yet, very careful taking it in and out of pockets etc. also have AppleCare 😁

Attachments

• IMG_3511.jpeg
    IMG_3511.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 90

salutcemoi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2021
I was cooking pancakes this morning for my daughters and browsing on my iPhone one handed and I dropped it straight onto my porcelain floor. It’s not uncommon for me to drop my phone and this reminds me why I have a case. The Caudabe Sheath is a great case too and has saved me on so many drops. It’s slim and sleek looking too.
I had a Caudabe Sheath on an older Phone, it was pre-magsafe era; super light and slim

Then I got one for my 13 Pro and it was uncomfortable, I think it's heavier because of Mafsafe

salutcemoi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2021
Loving using my 15 Pro naked, just can’t beat the look and in hand feel! No accidents yet, very careful taking it in and out of pockets etc. also have AppleCare 😁
I recently upgraded on the 15 Pro and had to the titanium blue ; blue is my favorite color

I wish I could rock it naked but I'm too afraid, so I got the Storm Blue silicone case to march it.

Reactions: eyoungren

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
IMG_1460.jpeg
IMG_1461.jpeg

I want my phones to look pristine forever so of course I use screen protectors and cases!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I want my phones to look pristine forever so of course I use screen protectors and cases!
Are you assuming that the opposite is true? That NOT using a case or screen protector automatically means a phone/device will NOT look pristine?

Because I have a multitude of phones to show you that do not have cases or screen protectors and they are all pristine.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Are you assuming that the opposite is true? That NOT using a case or screen protector automatically means a phone/device will NOT look pristine?

Because I have a multitude of phones to show you that do not have cases or screen protectors and they are all pristine.
Not necessarily. I am not making an absolute statement as there are obviously exceptions to the rule. It is exceedingly rare, however, to see a phone which has been used as a daily driver with no protection in pristine condition with no cosmetic damage or ware & tear.

It is also possible to damage a phone which is suitably protected. I have never experienced it myself and all my phones have accidentally been bounced around on concrete pavements.

The 3 phones you see in the above picture would all have varying degrees of cosmetic damage if I had failed to use screen protectors and cases.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I've used a black plastic Apple case with my red iPhone, resulting in a black monolith with a red stripe at the bottom, which matches my Nikons perfectly! :D

However, recently I read an article about "dbrand" cases, saw this one, and had to order it:

phonecase.jpg

That's just cool! :cool:

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Oh, and I meant to mention: I also use this case on my Apple TV remote, I prefer the feel of rounded plastic to the cold, sharp-edged aluminum. Plus, the Apple logo cutout in the back is deep enough for me to flip the remote over and fill the cutout with salt, while I'm snacking on celery sticks. :p

7164uIrANGL._AC_UL348_SR348,348_.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not necessarily. I am not making an absolute statement as there are obviously exceptions to the rule. It is exceedingly rare, however, to see a phone which has been used as a daily driver with no protection in pristine condition with no cosmetic damage or ware & tear.

It is also possible to damage a phone which is suitably protected. I have never experienced it myself and all my phones have accidentally been bounced around on concrete pavements.

The 3 phones you see in the above picture would all have varying degrees of cosmetic damage if I had failed to use screen protectors and cases.
For me it's a combination of lifestyle, occupation and desire to be caseless. I've broken phones that didn't have cases on them. But since 2012 it's only been two. I will say that my iPhone 5 probably suffered the most until I started learning to pay attention to what I was doing.

Now (and as I have stated in the past), if I had a more active occupation or lifestyle I'd probably have a case. Couldn't trust myself (or others) in that instance.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
For me it's a combination of lifestyle, occupation and desire to be caseless. I've broken phones that didn't have cases on them. But since 2012 it's only been two. I will say that my iPhone 5 probably suffered the most until I started learning to pay attention to what I was doing.

Now (and as I have stated in the past), if I had a more active occupation or lifestyle I'd probably have a case. Couldn't trust myself (or others) in that instance.
Most people, who choose not to use cases, aren’t particularly careful with their phones so they’ll destroy them sooner or later. I see people throwing around their expensive caseless iPhones all the time. Once they get a ding or a scape they tend not to baby the device as much.

There’s a very small subset of phone users, such as yourself, who have taught themselves to mitigate risk but these people are by far the exception. If you’re out the house a lot then you’ll pretty much need a case because, like you said, even if you trust yourself to be careful, other people are not careful. I often see phones flying off of tables or being dropped onto concrete after falling out of people’s hands or pockets, etc... These are accidents which are difficult to avoid or predict so over the course of 2-3 years of using your phone, it’s almost impossible to keep it in pristine condition without a case and a screen protector.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I had a Caudabe Sheath on an older Phone, it was pre-magsafe era; super light and slim

Then I got one for my 13 Pro and it was uncomfortable, I think it's heavier because of Mafsafe

I’ve only used the MagSafe versions so it’s never been an issue for me. The phone is the heavy component for me and I’m using a 13 Pro Max.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

But you’ve explained many times about the unusual way in which you treat your phones to ensure you don’t drop them. Any phone can look pristine without a case, my iPhone 11 was 2 years old and never in a case but I barely used it as it was a works phone. With daily constant use, your methods wouldn’t suit a lot of people and even you’ve admitted to marks on your phones that add ‘character’.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
If these phones only cost $400 to $500 I would go case less. But when they are over $1000 I'm not taking any chances. It goes in a case. It has to last me 3 to 4 years.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…and even you’ve admitted to marks on your phones that add ‘character’.
I only recall making a comment on someone else's phone about how the marks on their skin (not the phone itself) seemed (to me) to give the phone character. But, I may have made another comment about character, marks and my own phones earlier (or later) than that which I do not recall. So, I won't argue the point with you on that.

But I feel I need to define what I mean by 'character'. To me, that's normal wear and tear. With my devices, if you held them up to the light you'd see micro scratches on the screen and possibly some lightening of paint on the back (IDK). But you won't find marks, dents, non-working buttons, deep and lengthy scratches, broken or shattered screens. The oleophobic coatings are long gone and there may be fingerprint smudges (including the home button).

That is not to say that I do not own devices that have some issues. But those were primarily second hand purchases. My iPhone 4 for example has a non-working power button. But I got it for $20 off Reddit. I've dinged up the three previous iPhone 5's I have owned, but not the current one. I consider them to have been the sacrificial pancake in learning my 'rules' for handling my phones.

The iPhone 4 was a $25 purchase. Came pristine. The iPhone 3GS was a $20 purchase and came pristine. My iPhone 6 Plus has one little dent in the back. I did not put it there, it was bought off eBay. My Pixel 3a XL is still pristine.

I will admit to one very small and slight scuff in the top left corner of my 6s Plus. I dropped it getting into the car. You have to hold it up to the light to see it. My wife's glare to me at the time was pure murder. But everything else about it is fine.

So, while normal wear and tear does (to me) add character, scuffs, deep and visible scratches, dents, cracked screens, etc DO bother me. I get those fixed on phones I am using as a primary (or even secondary). And I'm not buying third party phones that are a mess.

Just wanted to clarify that for the record.

aquelemiguel

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2024
Been using the 13 Pro caseless since launch. No catastrophic drops for 2.5 years so no cracks or scratches on the glass, just tiny dents on the side metal. A friend of mine did the same, a couple months later his back glass was shattered to the point you could see the phone's internals.

I understand the risk, still I find the phone's colour so beautiful it'd be a shame to cover it with a case. I suppose it teaches you to naturally be more careful when there's 1K+ euros on the line... Maybe I've just been lucky too.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
An ultra thin case with glass screen protector goes long way protecting your phone.

Even if AC cover your damage, it’s still headache and waste of time fix/repair/change it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I understand the risk, still I find the phone's colour so beautiful it'd be a shame to cover it with a case. I suppose it teaches you to naturally be more careful when there's 1K+ euros on the line... Maybe I've just been lucky too.
My primary motivation for being careful has always been the possibility of answering to my wife. "How did you break a ~$1000 phone?!"

It's happened twice and so far all I've gotten is the 'look'. But, I have no illusions that if I was NOT careful she would eventually put her foot down and demand I use a case.

I don't want that. :)

• Haha
Reactions: geta

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
An ultra thin case with glass screen protector goes long way protecting your phone.

Even if AC cover your damage, it’s still headache and waste of time fix/repair/change it.

Disagree. People who use their phones caseless will gladly trade off a “potential” AC repair and the inconvenience related to it so they can enjoy the phones daily for hours upon hours a day.

Most people who don’t use cases(not all) are naturally more careful with their phones as well. But in a worst case scenario which most likely won’t happen often, you can get an advance replacement through Apple and get your phone swapped very easily. Really not inconvenient at all, especially when you weigh how much nicer it is to use the phone with no case and the cost is also minimal if you already have AC.

Basically if you have AC, and truly enjoy no case, it’s a no brainer.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Disagree. People who use their phones caseless will gladly trade off a “potential” AC repair and the inconvenience related to it so they can enjoy the phones daily for hours upon hours a day.

Most people who don’t use cases(not all) are naturally more careful with their phones as well. But in a worst case scenario which most likely won’t happen often, you can get an advance replacement through Apple and get your phone swapped very easily. Really not inconvenient at all, especially when you weigh how much nicer it is to use the phone with no case and the cost is also minimal if you already have AC.

Basically if you have AC, and truly enjoy no case, it’s a no brainer.

Disagree. Im enjoying my phone exactly the same with or without case.

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Disagree. Im enjoying my phone exactly the same with or without case.

You disagree with what? You can’t disagree on others opinions- that’s now the way it works. You surely can have your own opinion and enjoy your phone with a case/screen protector, many do.

My response was to you saying it was an inconvenience and not worth it, and I’m explaining how people without cases DO feel it’s worth it. Nothing for you to be disagreeing here- since you never do it and clearly don’t value it, but enjoy your phone however you’d like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.