Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Yeah, that's what I used, sorry. I replaced the kext from post #64.

Hmm, I'm not sure, it usually is a permissions problem. Try opening the root account and then moving the kext to the desktop, then bring the modified kext in its place, and reboot (dont repair permissions). If that doesn't work, try to modify it yourself.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Clarification and new kexts

Upon the release of 10.8.4 earlier I went to check to see if Apple changed the multitouch trackpad driver. Good news, they haven't. Bad news, it uses the one from 10.8.3 and I hadn't uploaded that one yet. I also noticed the first post was a mess. So I cleaned it up a bit (actually a lot) and am uploading this kext here. I am missing 10.7's kext, as well as 10.7.5. I couldn't find out briefly without downloading the HUGE 10.7.5 combo update and some comparison work if they changed the kext there because the delta update's download link gives a 404.

Attachments

• AppleUSBMultitouch.kext.zip
    44.3 KB · Views: 185

japmeet

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
Hi, this is the 10.6.8 kext.

Please tell me how it works.

Again, the MacRumors uploader is giving me problems, so up to the cloud…
http://cl.ly/222b0p1h1e3z2w0k140t

Hi.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but after following the steps you mentioned (except the copy paste the 'TrackpadThreeFingerDrag' thing since it was already there in all the WSTrackpad drop down lists.
I installed it using the kext utility (and fixing permissions in disk utility) but upon rebooting the trackpad menu remains the same.
I am using a magic mouse to do this (if it's of any relevance)
Any help would be appreciated!

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hi.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but after following the steps you mentioned (except the copy paste the 'TrackpadThreeFingerDrag' thing since it was already there in all the WSTrackpad drop down lists.
I installed it using the kext utility (and fixing permissions in disk utility) but upon rebooting the trackpad menu remains the same.
I am using a magic mouse to do this (if it's of any relevance)
Any help would be appreciated!

No option for switching from 3 finger swipe to 3 finger drag?

Weird. You have a supported computer?

japmeet

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
No option for switching from 3 finger swipe to 3 finger drag?

Weird. You have a supported computer?

I have a macbook mid 2009 (white, c2d 2.13ghz etc) and I really have no idea (I'm a mac noob)
Could you please explain it to me step-wise?
Thanks in advance!

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
I have a macbook mid 2009 (white, c2d 2.13ghz etc) and I really have no idea (I'm a mac noob)
Could you please explain it to me step-wise?
Thanks in advance!

Good news and bad news...

Good news is you did every thing correctly.
Bad news is that the Mac itself isn't supported. Sorry :(

japmeet

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
Good news and bad news...

Good news is you did every thing correctly.
Bad news is that the Mac itself isn't supported. Sorry :(

I just checked, it's trackpadthreefingerdrag (on all the wstrackpad drop downs)

Ah shucks! I really wanted inertial scrolling on the trackpad :p
Is there anyway to get that?
Thanks in advance!

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
I just checked, it's trackpadthreefingerdrag (on all the wstrackpad drop downs)

Ah shucks! I really wanted inertial scrolling on the trackpad :p
Is there anyway to get that?
Thanks in advance!

That is something I can help you with.

There isn't any official solution but There are several programs. I personally used to use AveScroller before Apple added the feature for my computer, and I sometimes use it on my desktop. It runs for 100 minutes then stops. You can quit it and launch it again and the counter starts again. It's pretty configurable, and it also has inverted scrolling on there.

Hope this helps.

japmeet

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
That is something I can help you with.

There isn't any official solution but There are several programs. I personally used to use AveScroller before Apple added the feature for my computer, and I sometimes use it on my desktop. It runs for 100 minutes then stops. You can quit it and launch it again and the counter starts again. It's pretty configurable, and it also has inverted scrolling on there.

Hope this helps.

avescroller really works! thank you so much :)

japmeet

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
I don't know. I don't use it much anymore because I have inertial scrolling now.

Okay. Thing is my mom has a 2011 mbp and I just got my brother's old 2009 mid non unibody white macbook and i REALLY like the inertial scrolling on her mbp :p I have a magic mouse so I have inertial scrolling there and multi touch gestures too but it feels more natural on the trackpad somehow. Anyways thanks for the help!

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Okay. Thing is my mom has a 2011 mbp and I just got my brother's old 2009 mid non unibody white macbook and i REALLY like the inertial scrolling on her mbp :p I have a magic mouse so I have inertial scrolling there and multi touch gestures too but it feels more natural on the trackpad somehow. Anyways thanks for the help!

Glad I could help:)

japmeet

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
Glad I could help:)

Hey again! I just updated my macbook to mountain lion (and it's running FAST! it's got core 2 duo, 2.13ghz, 5gb RAM (aftermarket 4gig) nvidia 9400m etc, information for the people who might be looking) so is there anyway to enable the multi-gestures trackpad? Or is it a hardware issue with this particular model? (mid 2009, white, macbook non unibody)
thanks in advance!

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hey again! I just updated my macbook to mountain lion (and it's running FAST! it's got core 2 duo, 2.13ghz, 5gb RAM (aftermarket 4gig) nvidia 9400m etc, information for the people who might be looking) so is there anyway to enable the multi-gestures trackpad? Or is it a hardware issue with this particular model? (mid 2009, white, macbook non unibody)
thanks in advance!

Hello.

It's more like a hardware limitation than a hardware issue.
The trick/hack I was describing is a software limitation Apple put in place.

Your closest solution is BetterTouchTool. It's available as a trial. Give it a try and see what you think.

AnonMac50

japmeet

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
Hello.

It's more like a hardware limitation than a hardware issue.
The trick/hack I was describing is a software limitation Apple put in place.

Your closest solution is BetterTouchTool. It's available as a trial. Give it a try and see what you think.

AnonMac50

Ah alright, I've tried bettertouchtool but it's definitely not comparable to the real deal. Anyway, I just wanted to ask if it was possible in ML. Anyways! Thanks a ton :)

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Ah alright, I've tried bettertouchtool but it's definitely not comparable to the real deal. Anyway, I just wanted to ask if it was possible in ML. Anyways! Thanks a ton :)

Glad I could help. :D

No, I'm not a damaged record :p

Tassevem

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Yes, but the problem is that I already inserted the sring in all WSTrackpad and still no 3 or 4 finger swipe is working!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.