Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevintosh_ar

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2015
Hi fellas, thank you AnonMac50 for your original work.

Have some news: The 10.8.3 kext works for 10.8.4 and 10.8.5 (at least in my MacBookAir2,1, it does).

I uploaded a new version working for Mavericks 10.9.5, changed the build key of the original kext to something other than the MacBook´s OS build key and added TrackpadThreeFingerDrag bool key to second array of WSTrackpad keys.

It works like a charm.

Now I'm going to try it on Yosemite. Sad things are:

1) Yosemite probably will suck on this tiny 1.6GHz Core2Duo 2GB DDR3 1067MHz MacBook Air...

2) Yosemite does not allow execution of unsigned code by default, so any use will probably require dev-kext nvram option, and we know that´s not a recommendable idea.

Anyways, thanks again for your work that inspired mine. Hope someone else can use this kext and find joy in its use.

Regards,

Attachments

• MacBookAir2,1_10.9.5_mod-kext.zip
    39.8 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: AnonMac50

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad there are still people interested in this project. The body of my old MacBook Pro split in half, and it's in another country, so I haven't been working on it anymore. But I am glad that potential for this.

kevintosh_ar

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2015
Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad there are still people interested in this project. The body of my old MacBook Pro split in half, and it's in another country, so I haven't been working on it anymore. But I am glad that potential for this.

Actually, I have to update. It still works in 10.10.3 and even 10.10.4. Since I no longer got access to the kexts (the MBA went away) and the modification is really easy, I'll let the next user work it out by himself.

It could be useful if you update your first post referencing that the modification is still working on 10.10.4 (your latest reference is 10.8.3)

Again, thanks for your work.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Actually, I have to update. It still works in 10.10.3 and even 10.10.4. Since I no longer got access to the kexts (the MBA went away) and the modification is really easy, I'll let the next user work it out by himself.

It could be useful if you update your first post referencing that the modification is still working on 10.10.4 (your latest reference is 10.8.3)

Again, thanks for your work.
I was about to update the post, but I just realised that I don't see the edit button any more...

MaxL_ua

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
Hi.
I have MBP early 2008 with MacOS X 10.10.5. I wanna have three fingers drag on it, I've replaced AppleUSBMultytouch.kext with one that I found in this thread, but system tells me, that extention is bad and wont work. What I do wrong?
Thanx!
P.S. I have enabled three fingers drag option in Accessibility, but three fingers drag still doesn't work.

Last edited:

MaxL_ua

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
As I expected, keyboard and touchpad appears broken after reboot (I've repaired permission before reboot). Maybe someone have updated version for 10.10.5?
Thanks!

kevintosh_ar

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2015
/System/Library/Extensions

Make sure you know what you're doing, otherwise you can render your OS unusable and it could risk to lose your info, at least you will have to reinstall the OS.

MaxL_ua

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
Yes, I've put file from your post #101 to /System/Library/Extensions, repair permissions, restart and have dead touch pad.

kevintosh_ar

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2015
Oh! So maybe it works only for 10.10 to 10.10.4 :/

You can always restart with cmd+R (Recovery Mode) and open a Terminal, and then:

rm -rf /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext

That way you "copy" a working kext from the Recovery Partition to your HD. And trust me, it works. Note two things:

Thing No.1: "Macintosh HD" is the name of your startup volume. If you have renamed it to something else, then be careful to write that right. You can always peek with:

ls -l /Volumes

And see your available volumes.

Thing No.2: "Macintosh HD" is written as Macintosh\ HD. The backslash escapes a space character. THERE IS NO RETURN (ENTER) in that line. It is a whole line. Since the last part of the line is very long, the line breaks at the space character, but THERE IS NO RETURN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.