Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Because they got a million dollar payday to release it NOW.

So now we're screwed since Apple knows the exploits and will patch them before 7.1.

Ridiculous.

How do they get paid for releasing a jailbreak? Are there other forms of revenue besides ads in cydia and the cost of certain cydia apps?

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Welcome to the real world script kiddies. There's a reason a walled garden approach works so well. Wisdom cannot be taken, it must be earned...

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
But...

freedom...

is a slogan for many that leaves you susceptible to hacking.

Took you a long time, huh, hackers?

----------

This doesn't even come close to answering his question.

Well, de gustibus non disputandum.

There's no arguing taste. Him or Jony Ive. I'll stick with Jony.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I somewhat fell bad for you guys because I know how valuable it is to have a rooted Android device. After reading a few of the comments here it sounds like all the original jailbreaking teams have moved on. Are there anymore enthusiasts that want to see customization within iOS? Is Apple that good at closing up the holes and everyone decided to throw in the towel? Or did everyone with talent just leave for a different platform?
I know that if I couldn’t root my Note 3 I would get a Nexus 5. Google is the only company I’m aware of that will allow you to root/unlock the bootloader and they won’t try to “purposely” lock it down during the next OS release. Shame that someone released a jailbreak knowing that Apple will patch it quickly in 7.1.
I do feel that people who want to Jailbreak and people that root Android have something in common; we all want to make the experience better than what the manufacture intended. Sucks that Apple is always trying to destroy that dream.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Any sensible business man knows that you bring a burner phone with you if doing business in east asia, and dump it before you get on the plane back. No joke. You're an absolute fool if you bring your own device with you.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
It was a deal gone bad, these guys are a bunch of lieng hypocrites, they keep contradicting themselves over and over again it's just pathetic now. If no money was involved why would they even bundle TaiG? If the community didn't react they would have kept it, got paid and made a fortune.

According to one of the JB heavyweights each jailbreak nets around 100$K from donations, they just got greedy and wanted much more which is outrageous given that their entire revenue is based on exploiting a mobile operating system and imo the only money they deserve to earn is the money they need to cover hosting fees and everything related, nothing else.

Yes, and whatever you do for a living, maybe should only compensate you for bus fare and a lunchtime sandwich.

I'm always amazed by how some folks can be so generous with other peoples money or think market conditions and time invested shouldnt apply to things.

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
Sheesh. I really feel sorry for these guys. The worked very hard on this for months. And this time, all they got from it was hate and bullying by the entire community.

Yes, they screwed up by not doing a background check on the company before including its app store. But hey, there is absolutely no proof of any private data getting leaked anywhere (if there is, I would like a source). Taig only sent data when the Chinese language was detected on the computer from which evasi0n was used. And this data only included the UUID and a bunch of prefs/settings (which is exactly what Cydia does). This did not upload your photos/contacts/emails/messages etc. anywhere.

If you are uncomfortable with this, please stay off the internet. Because your Googles and Facebooks collect and possibly leak (NSA, spying, blah) much more data about you.

Stop all this hate.
There is nothing wrong with the evasi0n iOS 7 jailbreak. Saurik himself recommends it. The job of the jailbreak is to give root access to the OS. And it did that pretty well. For free. All your favourite tweaks will work when Saurik updates Mobile Substrate (remember its Christmas and be patient).

And if you don't intend to jailbreak, please stop spreading rumours. It hurts the entire community.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Because they got a million dollar payday to release it NOW.

So now we're screwed since Apple knows the exploits and will patch them before 7.1.

Ridiculous.

Apparently GeoHot was gonna sell their exploits and take credit for them so they kind of hurried up to avoid that.

j1787

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Any sensible business man knows that you bring a burner phone with you if doing business in east asia, and dump it before you get on the plane back. No joke. You're an absolute fool if you bring your own device with"

Just out of pure curiosity on my part, could you explain why?

Jack Delgado

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
The jailbreak developers have worked really hard for a long time to do everything "right", I think they deserve some slack for some missteps. There's a lot of smart people involved who work really hard, thanklessly. If the errors continue the next time around... I think its okay to take issue, but I think people should look at all of this in terms of the entire history of jailbreaking instead of just sitting around and mindlessly agreeing with eachother.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Sheesh. I really feel sorry for these guys. The worked very hard on this for months. And this time, all they got from it was hate and bullying by the entire community.

Yes, they screwed up by not doing a background check on the company before including its app store. But hey, there is absolutely no proof of any private data getting leaked anywhere (if there is, I would like a source). Taig only sent data when the Chinese language was detected on the computer from which evasi0n was used. And this data only included the UUID and a bunch of prefs/settings (which is exactly what Cydia does). This did not upload your photos/contacts/emails/messages etc. anywhere.

If you are uncomfortable with this, please stay off the internet. Because your Googles and Facebooks collect and possibly leak (NSA, spying, blah) much more data about you.

Stop all this hate.
There is nothing wrong with the evasi0n iOS 7 jailbreak. Saurik himself recommends it. The job of the jailbreak is to give root access to the OS. And it did that pretty well. For free. All your favourite tweaks will work when Saurik updates Mobile Substrate (remember its Christmas and be patient).

And if you don't intend to jailbreak, please stop spreading rumours. It hurts the entire community.

Totally agree with you, people act like they just committed treason. I highly doubt the majority of users chose Chinese as the language on their iPhone's. With that being said, don't jailbreak if it is a big deal to you. There are always 2 sides to a story so I have read Saurik's version as well as Geohot & the Evad3rs. This is big business now and all you people that say they should not get paid for their efforts are outta touch with life. Nothing in life is free so if they were trying to profit off of a tool that millions use then so be it...

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I don't. They did it to themselves.

Should have chosen their partners more wisely.

Notice the last jailbreak did not have this PR issue. It was gobbled up really fast and Cydia didn't work for days from all the traffic.

No one trusts the Chinese with personal data. With good reason. The Evad3rs team should have known better.

This little move has now raised lots of ears and made people aware that jailbreaking really can be dangerous to expose your device too all types of threats. They may have seriously and forever damaged the jailbreak community with this move.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
It's been displayed on reddit that without Taig even being installed, the jailbreak still regularly made contact with the Chinese site. No thanks, I'll keep my iPad unmolested. Not to mention these guys probably ruined any chance of having jailbreak for final 7.1. They used up valuable exploits on a beta. AND they didn't include saurik in its development, so now a lot of vital tools are broken or unsupported. But hay at least we did it first yay. Slow claps.

My own experience so far says otherwise about regular contact with any Chinese sites. There are also people on reddit saying it doesn't. So I'll just take my own word for it and ignore everyone else.

I've had my ipad on ios 6.12 for so long that unless 7.1 brings something awesome to the table I'm probably not going to care very much. But I agree this method is without a doubt burned and and no longer usable. I wonder how much of a delay we'll see on 7.1 or if there will be one at all now?

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I have attempted to run this jailbreak twice now and have found it to be a buggy mess for iphone 4. first time even the most basic stuff confirmed to of been running smooth with 7.0.4 just kept kicking out to a respring and now this time I lost most of my app icons including cydia, phone and contacts .... I give up... It feels rushed and built to order as it were. 7.1 will have nothing new for me and frankly I wanted to get rid of the dock background as it annoys the hell out of me... but if I have to choose between that and what I have now...

it was even a pain in the backside taking several restarts to get the phone in to DFU mode. shame.

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
Yes, and whatever you do for a living, maybe should only compensate you for bus fare and a lunchtime sandwich.

I'm always amazed by how some folks can be so generous with other peoples money or think market conditions and time invested shouldnt apply to things.

What i do for a living is a real job, not a hobby that involves exploiting iOS. Are you trying to tell us that making a jailbreak equals a real job and therefore the group behind Evad3rs deserve to charge people for it? How is that ethical by any means?

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
Please make iOS 6 UI for iOS7 :)

If I had the time to make one, I would. There aren't any up there on the default Cydia repositories.

----------

I thought jailbreaks offered skins/themes?

Not the jailbreak itself. I jailbroke mine as soon as the jailbreak came out, willing to assume that I wouldn't run into any trickery as a non-Chinese user.

----------

I don't trust what they're saying in these letters. No way they could have let a sketchy Chinese app store on without checking to see if it had anything pirated. Cydia already checks repositories you add to make sure there isn't anything pirated (but if there is, it just warns you).

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
If I had the time to make one, I would. There aren't any up there on the default Cydia repositories.

----------

Not the jailbreak itself. I jailbroke mine as soon as the jailbreak came out, willing to assume that I wouldn't run into any trickery as a non-Chinese user.

----------

I don't trust what they're saying in these letters. No way they could have let a sketchy Chinese app store on without checking to see if it had anything pirated. Cydia already checks repositories you add to make sure there isn't anything pirated (but if there is, it just warns you).

Yeah, **** the Evaders for not checking each one of the millions of apps in the store and verifying it against the Taig store.

/sarcasm

They did a precursory check. In case you haven't noticed they were busy at the time developing the jailbreak :rolleyes:.

Secondly, Cydia does not 'check' anything. It has a blacklist of popular piracy repo's and simply compares it against that. The list is old and not updated. Obviously you don't know what you're talking about.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
How do they get paid for releasing a jailbreak? Are there other forms of revenue besides ads in cydia and the cost of certain cydia apps?

It's pretty well known that they were offered, and accepted, a million dollars from the Chinese for the jailbreak to be released now.

What i do for a living is a real job, not a hobby that involves exploiting iOS. Are you trying to tell us that making a jailbreak equals a real job and therefore the group behind Evad3rs deserve to charge people for it? How is that ethical by any means?

How is development not a real job? They do a lot of hard work, there is tremendous demand for their product, and it is not illegal. What about any of this is unethical?

They deserve to get paid, and I don't blame them in the least for taking the money. The problem is that they have basically screwed up any chance for a viable jailbreak for 7.1, and have screwed us in the process.

I don't trust what they're saying in these letters.

Neither do I. It seems like it's common knowledge that they took the million dollars. Denying it now destroys their credibility, unfortunately.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
It's pretty well known that they were offered, and accepted, a million dollars from the Chinese for the jailbreak to be released now.

Neither do I. It seems like it's common knowledge that they took the million dollars. Denying it now destroys their credibility, unfortunately.

Have you been living under a rock for the past few days? They didn't get any of it and they freely admit to being compensated.

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
This whole jailbreaking ordeal is a pain. i cant remember all the apps I've purchase on cydia, but i think i paid $20 (company expense) for mywi. My current iPad is the last one I'll buy. Those new win 8.1 tablets are fairly impressive. No more rooting necessary. 64gb models are reasonably priced and you can add a large micro sd for additional storage. Maybe apple should leave a tiny gate in their "walled garden". However, if apple released an osx tablet, I'd gladly give up the win 8.1 tablet. =D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.