Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
It's been displayed on reddit that without Taig even being installed, the jailbreak still regularly made contact with the Chinese site. No thanks, I'll keep my iPad unmolested. Not to mention these guys probably ruined any chance of having jailbreak for final 7.1. They used up valuable exploits on a beta. AND they didn't include saurik in its development, so now a lot of vital tools are broken or unsupported. But hay at least we did it first yay. Slow claps.

The guy who posted that comment on reddit retracted his statement the next day. The post on reddit was called 'my apology' or something. Geohot has also posted a letter about his review of the jb. He said it is not ringing home to china as was insinuated by your referenced post on reddit.

Suarik also deems it safe and recommended that people proceed. His approval alone makes it good enough for me.

The drama is all very unfortunate, I too wish they waited for 7.1.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
What i do for a living is a real job, not a hobby that involves exploiting iOS. Are you trying to tell us that making a jailbreak equals a real job and therefore the group behind Evad3rs deserve to charge people for it? How is that ethical by any means?

Yes. People who spend their time on earth doing things of interest and of value to others should be entitled to profit from such things if they so desire. Conversely, people should be free to decide if they want to pay for such things.

For an individual to arbitrarily decide that one endeavor or another should be done for free only seems to support the concept of leeching. Exploitation, generally, and in a variety if guises, is at the center of every human enterprise.

I know a guy who supplements his regular income by building wooden toys and selling them at christmas time. Because this is a hobby, should he be required to give them away?

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
What i do for a living is a real job, not a hobby that involves exploiting iOS. Are you trying to tell us that making a jailbreak equals a real job and therefore the group behind Evad3rs deserve to charge people for it? How is that ethical by any means?

is this serious? of course hacking can be a job..:confused:

how about the NSA?

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Have you been living under a rock for the past few days? They didn't get any of it and they freely admit to being compensated.

Well I think it's my right to distrust their denial. And unless you have access to their bank accounts and the ability to post it here, you can't really say one way or the other.

They dropped the ball this time. It happens. But blindly defending everything they say is probably not the wisest course of action.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
This whole jailbreaking ordeal is a pain. i cant remember all the apps I've purchase on cydia, but i think i paid $20 (company expense) for mywi. My current iPad is the last one I'll buy. Those new win 8.1 tablets are fairly impressive. No more rooting necessary. 64gb models are reasonably priced and you can add a large micro sd for additional storage. Maybe apple should leave a tiny gate in their "walled garden". However, if apple released an osx tablet, I'd gladly give up the win 8.1 tablet. =D
Well, that's the beauty of Cydia. (or the App Store) I can't remember mine, either, but the store does that for me.

Sounds like you need a laptop. Laptops are pretty nice, lots of people buy those.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
The jailbreak developers have worked really hard for a long time to do everything "right", I think they deserve some slack for some missteps. There's a lot of smart people involved who work really hard, thanklessly. If the errors continue the next time around... I think its okay to take issue, but I think people should look at all of this in terms of the entire history of jailbreaking instead of just sitting around and mindlessly agreeing with eachother.

This is like saying we should be thankful for all those people donating their own time to make money by leeching onto an existing platform and hacking it so that the security is unknown, and they don't truly care, or even know what they don't know, to make some money with apps that do things that the owners don't approve of for whatever reasons valid or not.

Oh wait, this isn't LIKE that, it IS that.

It's just a bunch of 16-23 year olds using hacks that literally 10's of 1,000s of people in their 30s and 40s who are professional developers and engineers could do, but they actually get paid to do other more meaningful things in their lives and could care less. My phone just works. Maybe the reason Apple doesn't want certain things modified is because it would make things harder to "just work." No, it must be some out of touch old farts who just want to put a buzzkill on your life and individuality.

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
Yeah, **** the Evaders for not checking each one of the millions of apps in the store and verifying it against the Taig store.

/sarcasm

They did a precursory check. In case you haven't noticed they were busy at the time developing the jailbreak :rolleyes:.

Secondly, Cydia does not 'check' anything. It has a blacklist of popular piracy repo's and simply compares it against that. The list is old and not updated. Obviously you don't know what you're talking about.

Then they weren't checking hard enough. How hard can it be to get a list of app store apps or at least check the top ones? http://iphoneapplicationlist.com/apps/ for one. "We were busy with the jailbreak" is a horrible excuse for putting an app store, based in China of all places, in their jailbreak without checking it. Maybe if they really can't check it at all, they SHOULDN'T PUT IT IN THERE. Especially if Taig isn't even giving them money for it.

I know that Cydia itself does not comb through and check for pirated apps. It checks against a blacklist, sorry for not spelling it out. I don't know where you got that it's not updated.

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
This is like saying we should be thankful for all those people donating their own time to make money by leeching onto an existing platform and hacking it so that the security is unknown, and they don't truly care, or even know what they don't know, to make some money with apps that do things that the owners don't approve of for whatever reasons valid or not.

It's just a bunch of 16-23 year olds using hacks that literally 10's of 1,000s of people in their 30s and 40s who are professional developers and engineers could do, but they actually get paid to do other more meaningful things in their lives and could care less. My phone just works. Maybe the reason Apple doesn't want certain things modified is because it would make things harder to "just work." No, it must be some out of touch old farts who just want to put a buzzkill on your life and individuality.

Well, I for one am glad that there are groups out there determined to bring freedom to apple devices. I'm thankful. I would also wager that you are way overcalling the amount of people who could successfully create a stable jailbreak. You are also very judgmental.

It's cool that you don't care about enhanced functionality. FWIW I don't use cosmetic tweaks, spare me your 'individuality' talk.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
It's been displayed on reddit that without Taig even being installed, the jailbreak still regularly made contact with the Chinese site. No thanks, I'll keep my iPad unmolested. Not to mention these guys probably ruined any chance of having jailbreak for final 7.1. They used up valuable exploits on a beta. AND they didn't include saurik in its development, so now a lot of vital tools are broken or unsupported. But hay at least we did it first yay. Slow claps.

Was this before or after the official cydia package?

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
My phone just works. Maybe the reason Apple doesn't want certain things modified is because it would make things harder to "just work." No, it must be some out of touch old farts who just want to put a buzzkill on your life and individuality.

Your phone "just works" for playing GameBoy and N64 games, right? And your Terminal and interface changer work? Lastly, does your phone work without a SIM card?

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
Well I think it's my right to distrust their denial. And unless you have access to their bank accounts and the ability to post it here, you can't really say one way or the other.

They dropped the ball this time. It happens. But blindly defending everything they say is probably not the wisest course of action.

Because it makes perfect sense for them to remove Taig and publish an open letter bashing them after getting paid :rolleyes:.

Context clues.

Then they weren't checking hard enough. How hard can it be to get a list of app store apps or at least check the top ones? http://iphoneapplicationlist.com/apps/ for one. "We were busy with the jailbreak" is a horrible excuse for putting an app store, based in China of all places, in their jailbreak without checking it. Maybe if they really can't check it at all, they SHOULDN'T PUT IT IN THERE. Especially if Taig isn't even giving them money for it.

I know that Cydia itself does not comb through and check for pirated apps. It checks against a blacklist, sorry for not spelling it out. I don't know where you got that it's not updated.

They did check random apps. I don't know what methodology used but they didn't find anything. What if I told you the Chinese app was locale specific? Shocker, isn't it? Taig was contractually obliged to remove the piracy, not their creators. They didn't upload their end and now we saw the result. It's really not that difficult to understand...

Once again, you prove you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Oh, and before either of you call me some loyal jailbreaking fanboy, read my post history. I was up there hollering and screaming just like you were. Know what the difference between us is? I bothered to educate myself on the matter, get all the facts and man up and admit I was wrong. Time for both of you to grow up and do the same.

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
What did they expect when they got into bed with a Chinese company??

If evad3rs is telling the truth, another stark reminder that some in the eastern world are doing business by a different standard than we do in the western world, to wit, blatant intellectual property copying, without compensation to the rights holders (including fake Apple stores and fake devices, as well as sub-standard accessories), and now secret, unauthorized --and possibly malicious-- software installation. Caveat emptor should be at the top of anyone's mind when jail breaking, or just contemplating to save a couple of bucks.

On a happier note: Merry belated Christmas to all, and best wishes for a happy, healthy and prosperous 2014!

Happy holidays to anyone offended by the foregoing!

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

Are you ****** joking? You couldn't be any more ignorant about it. Exploiting an operating system that is well-programmed by a company as experienced as Apple is no easy task. These "kids" get paid because they are very bright and talented. Some of these "kids" have even been picked up by Apple and asked to work at Apple.

Pretty sure Apple wouldn't take notice if they were just some "kids" with no talent. They're more like a pain in Apples ass constantly leaving Apple scratching their heads saying "how the hell did they do that?"

You should probably understand a topic, before deciding you're an expert on it.

Cmdrx3

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2013
Why would anybody want that?

Because IOS 7 sucks a turd. Jony fIve may know about hardware design but frankly he has a long way to go in software design and has completely sucked the joy out of IOS. It was perfectly fine the way it was (bar the skeuomorphic nonsense) until King Bland came along and turned it into an android wannabe. All this may be because I am completely and utterly ratfaced, but I usually talk more sense when I'm utterly trollied so I doubt it. Happy Boxing Day.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I jailbroke my phone last time around, but I am passing on this and probably won't jailbreak again.

The bugginess, instability and security risks just aren't worth it to me.

I like iOS7 just fine as is.

I hate the fact that I hate iOS 7 enough to want to jailbreak.

But your point is the point: it just doesn't seem worth it.

And that is why me (and the wife) reluctantly switched to Android. I figured we'll give them a go and see, since Apple just ruined my platform of choice (yes, hyperbole, I know).

So far, the wife can't stop gushing about her Note 3 and I am more than fairly impressed with the S4, switching quibbles aside. I might have trouble going back.

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
I wish I had a donor idevice to test some of the claims about this new jailbreak.

First there's claims that the new JB sends data to Chinese sites without the user's knowledge. This can be easily tested with a software firewall scanning for all outgoing data on the device if it's on WiFi, a Femtocell with custom software could be configured to monitor all 3G/4G incoming connections.

Second, the intent of any JB isn't to provide the user "root access" to iOS, rather to provide a difference source of apps other than exclusively via Apple App Store. However to accomplish this, root access is required to inject code. No JB to my knowledge provides the JB user full (or even partial) root access.

Last edited:

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
Yes. People who spend their time on earth doing things of interest and of value to others should be entitled to profit from such things if they so desire. Conversely, people should be free to decide if they want to pay for such things.

For an individual to arbitrarily decide that one endeavor or another should be done for free only seems to support the concept of leeching. Exploitation, generally, and in a variety if guises, is at the center of every human enterprise.

I know a guy who supplements his regular income by building wooden toys and selling them at christmas time. Because this is a hobby, should he be required to give them away?

The engineers working at Apple improving iOS and fixing bugs are the ones entitled to make profit by getting their paycheck from the company, again hacking iOS is not a job and the only thing keeping the guys behind Evad3rs and previous jailbreaks from directly charging people for the jailbreak is the legal aspect and how Apple is relentless in such scenarios, it has nothing to do with them being ethical.

The only good thing about iOS hacking for the hacker himself is the spotlight and that it prepares him for a real world job like Comex, Geohot and others who became security researches for companies, this is the only rational transition i can support. The gap is getting tighter with every iOS release, Apple is not kidding about securing their platform, i think the realization that the next jailbreak could be impossible is what pushed these guys to sell high and risk their reputation in order to profit before it's too late, there's also an audio recording of Geohot trying to sell ios 7 exploit, this is as ethical as it gets. ;)

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
It was a deal gone bad, these guys are a bunch of lieng hypocrites, they keep contradicting themselves over and over again it's just pathetic now. If no money was involved why would they even bundle TaiG? If the community didn't react they would have kept it, got paid and made a fortune.

Cut them a break. They are not a corporation or a entity. They are bunch of guys who loves doing these type of things on their own free time. It's not like they owe us or you anything, and its not like you are putting dinner on their table.

They doing most of their work on the mercy of donations of money and equipment, and their own resources and time into it. Most of us only invest our own time to download their work for free. When its free you and we don't get to complain.

It's like asking your brother to plow the snow from your sidewalk while you are on vacation for free, then he paid someone else to do it out of his pocket because he's busy, and that person didn't do a A+ job you expected him to do, and you whine and bitch at your brother.

these guys aren't corporate trained. They are 'good' but I wouldn't call them 'professionals', because professional do something to make a living. I don't expect them to be professional to me or anything else who isn't paying them a salary to cover their mortage, rent, food, and living...

According to one of the JB heavyweights each jailbreak nets around 100$K from donations, they just got greedy and wanted much more which is outrageous given that their entire revenue is based on exploiting a mobile operating system and imo the only money they deserve to earn is the money they need to cover hosting fees and everything related, nothing else.

Split $100K between each of them and it's less than $20K a jailbreak [per year]. In US, that is considered low income and close to poverty; and you're calling them greedy? They are not exactly buying Yachts with it, and nearly all their money is being donated to to someone else.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Yup, they saw $$$$ and got greedy, but they were signing an agreement with the greed-masters.... largely, the Chinese have no principles when it comes to business. (no offense to anyone that does).

If what you say is true, then I sure am glad that our beloved Apple doesn't do any business with Chinese companies.

/sarcasm

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
What did they expect when they got into bed with a Chinese company??

What exactly is wrong with Chinese companies?

Are you implying that piracy doesn't exist in America? Or that American companies at completely honest and above board all the time?

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
They did check random apps. I don't know what methodology used but they didn't find anything. What if I told you the Chinese app was locale specific? Shocker, isn't it? Taig was contractually obliged to remove the piracy, not their creators. They didn't upload their end and now we saw the result. It's really not that difficult to understand...

Once again, you prove you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Oh, and before either of you call me some loyal jailbreaking fanboy, read my post history. I was up there hollering and screaming just like you were. Know what the difference between us is? I bothered to educate myself on the matter, get all the facts and man up and admit I was wrong. Time for both of you to grow up and do the same.

Your argument is that Taig promised it wouldn't upload pirated apps, so it's not the Evad3rs' fault. Clearly, they either didn't bother checking or couldn't check thoroughly the app store they were forcibly bundling with their jailbreak (good thing it got removed now). But the sketchy Chinese app store promised, right? Anyone could see it coming that it would have pirated apps. They clearly turned a blind eye on this one.

Also, I suggest you lose the bratty attitude. Never did I say anything factually incorrect. FYI, I installed this jailbreak the instant it came out just like I did for iOS 6, 5, 4, and 3. I'm not a Chinese user, so the Taig thing is irrelevant to me because it's not bundled for me.

----------

What exactly is wrong with Chinese companies?

Are you implying that piracy doesn't exist in America? Or that American companies at completely honest and above board all the time?

No he's not. He's implying that Chinese companies often are not honest or at least are less honest than American companies. I deal with them all the time and can say that they do NOT operate at the same standard for the most part. Half the things I buy from China come with some mini CD with a panda on it loaded with pirated drivers or something that don't even work properly and are usually not even needed. Buyer beware.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
Anyone who jailbreaks via this crap deserves whatever they get. But hey, enjoy your jailbreak and be sure to do plenty of banking on your freshly jail broken phone....lol.

suckers!

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
I jailbroke my phone last time around, but I am passing on this and probably won't jailbreak again.

The bugginess, instability and security risks just aren't worth it to me.

I like iOS7 just fine as is.

Yeah....no.

Messages is a pathetic app IMO and needs to be replaced with biteSMS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.