Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
The guy who posted that comment on reddit retracted his statement the next day. The post on reddit was called 'my apology' or something. Geohot has also posted a letter about his review of the jb. He said it is not ringing home to china as was insinuated by your referenced post on reddit.

Suarik also deems it safe and recommended that people proceed. His approval alone makes it good enough for me.

The drama is all very unfortunate, I too wish they waited for 7.1.

Apologies then. My research was clearly insufficient.

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
Anyone who jailbreaks via this crap deserves whatever they get. But hey, enjoy your jailbreak and be sure to do plenty of banking on your freshly jail broken phone....lol.

suckers!

All I wanted was an iOS 6 theme, Terminal, and maybe a few emulators. I'm truly sorry that I have disappointed you, but I am keeping this jailbreak now that it has been tested.

----------

Cause iOS7 looks like a 2 year old crayoned it??

First it was folders. Then it was Siri on an iPhone 4. And now this, THE reason to jailbreak.

Again, stop with the (inaccurate) personal insults. If I was someone else, this thread would be derailed by now, which is why that sort of thing is not allowed here.

----------

This doesn't even come close to answering his question.

Yeah it does. Why does my iPhone suddenly feel 50% more like an Android phone? Ironically, a jailbreak is the way to return it to Apple status.

Last edited by a moderator:

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Any source about the news regarding Geohot "stealing" the exploit to resell ? Only saw the comments on the forum.

Btw to the people saying that JB devs dont deserve any compensation get a grip :eek: a lot of time and brain work is involved ffs lol plus you would be surprise how much money "repair" stores make by using the free soft. this guys make and back in the day they made even more when you could only unlock your iphone by ultrasn0w and i bet not a single F was given by those places.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
The engineers working at Apple improving iOS and fixing bugs are the ones entitled to make profit by getting their paycheck from the company, again hacking iOS is not a job and the only thing keeping the guys behind Evad3rs and previous jailbreaks from directly charging people for the jailbreak is the legal aspect and how Apple is relentless in such scenarios, it has nothing to do with them being ethical.

The only good thing about iOS hacking for the hacker himself is the spotlight and that it prepares him for a real world job like Comex, Geohot and others who became security researches for companies, this is the only rational transition i can support. The gap is getting tighter with every iOS release, Apple is not kidding about securing their platform, i think the realization that the next jailbreak could be impossible is what pushed these guys to sell high and risk their reputation in order to profit before it's too late, there's also an audio recording of Geohot trying to sell ios 7 exploit, this is as ethical as it gets. ;)
You just don't get it, but it's ok we get it and bottom line is you're cheap.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yeah....no.

Messages is a pathetic app IMO and needs to be replaced with biteSMS.

It's your phone. Do what you have to.

No way in hell I am opening up my device to instability and vulnerabilities that could be exploited by dubious jailbreak shadow backers.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Because they got a million dollar payday to release it NOW.

So now we're screwed since Apple knows the exploits and will patch them before 7.1.

Ridiculous.
..and if 7.1 were current, there would be whiners saying "why didn't you wait until 7.2.." and if they had it but didn't release it, people would whine that it's not released at all.

Can't make anyone happy.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
It's been displayed on reddit that without Taig even being installed, the jailbreak still regularly made contact with the Chinese site. No thanks, I'll keep my iPad unmolested. Not to mention these guys probably ruined any chance of having jailbreak for final 7.1. They used up valuable exploits on a beta. AND they didn't include saurik in its development, so now a lot of vital tools are broken or unsupported. But hay at least we did it first yay. Slow claps.

Reddit isn't exactly a trustworthy source of analysis, and the statement in question was made with zero supporting evidence being provided - the dude was just spouting off. There's no reason to believe Taig Was involved with the jailbreak in any way, nor with the development of evasi0n 7.

I have no quibbles, though, with your other points regarding the timing and the trust issues. Evad3rs screwed this one up big time.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
"an official version of Cydia"

Don't want to follow Apple's rules?

Then you must follow ours instead!

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
..and if 7.1 were current, there would be whiners saying "why didn't you wait until 7.2.." and if they had it but didn't release it, people would whine that it's not released at all.

Can't make anyone happy.

Not exactly. The .01, .02, .03's of the cycles usually bring only minor bug fixes. The .1, .2, .3's bring about bigger improvements or introductions of completely new features.

They should have waited.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
It's been displayed on reddit that without Taig even being installed, the jailbreak still regularly made contact with the Chinese site. No thanks, I'll keep my iPad unmolested. Not to mention these guys probably ruined any chance of having jailbreak for final 7.1. They used up valuable exploits on a beta. AND they didn't include saurik in its development, so now a lot of vital tools are broken or unsupported. But hay at least we did it first yay. Slow claps.
Sorry did not realise that 7.0.4 was a beta, I thought it was production release code by Apple.

Every Jailbreak has multiple teams trying to be first. We have seen this before with the same Arguments for example when Geohot released Limera1n. They are all chasing to be first and will release if they have something working and believe a competing team is near release.

The user community always has a choice. When we chose to Jailbreak, there is always a level of risk associated with it. They only way to avoid any risk is not to jailbreak.

Saving a Jailbreak for the next version of software is one that has those who support it and those who want evertthing now. There is no right answer.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Last edited:

ntepperman

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
What's a person to believe?

Holy *%#$ this is confusing!

I started thinking about jailbreaking my iPhone 5 (7.0.4; Rogers) earlier this week when I decided that I really needed better snooze options for my calendar alerts.

I know basically zero about jailbreaking, so I started to do some research. What do I find but a massive cross-site argument about the new Evasi0n jailbreak, etc., etc.

From my uneducated perspective, it sounds like both sides of the argument are making reasonable claims (once you cut through the noise & posturing that comes with any Internet-based argument, it seems).

How's someone like me supposed to evaluate all of this? Or is it just too soon to tell?

(P.S.: it's always disappointing for me when I find that typical "noise & posturing" on discussions here at MacForums. I love this site, and for some reason I expect better from all of us. Or maybe I'm just taking it too personally.)

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
my two pence

Honestly, for me, the interface look of iOS 7 was shocking at first. But, eventually I got used it and now like it. While it still looks like it is meant fan of hello kitty for tween girls, the flatness looks nice (and I had been known to use pastels in my graphic work, but I digress)

Anyway, the only reasons why I jailbreak is not for piracy. It isn't to change the themes. It is for tweaking the operating system. I am a developer, I made bug reports and change requests to get certain features implemented, and they don't. iOS is a modified OS X. Modifying a few select plist files is what I do on my own phone which I paid for, so I should do what I want.

I like how Android and BlackBerry and even Nokia all had an option that allowed you to download from the web and install unsigned code if you accepted the risks it poses. I understand that will ruin Apple's profits on third party stores if a developer chooses to sell from his website. But again, if he did, he will have to eat the hosting and credit card processing. So it would still work out in the end, since at the end of the day, people are still buying the hardware.

I like having root access to my system. I understand the risks and I should be entitled to do so as I please. Even by doing so voids the warranty, so be it. I like the ability of getting apps that Apple may think is inappropriate. I am a consenting adult. If Apple bans things because they contain nudity/profanity/etc, then they should ban Safari because you can get all the smut or even illegal content through it. It should not be up to Apple what is appropriate for me to buy or not. If they don't want to allow smut to be sold on their store, as it being their store, it is certainly their right to do so. But if they want it that way, they should then allow people other methods of obtaining said smut (as native apps are far superior to web-based ones). And if you may recall correctly, Apple never intended to have native apps. It was the original popularity of Cydia that caused Apple to change their tunes (no pun intended). Why they never thought it was a good idea is beyond my comprehension.

Look at the Mac App store as an example. That is a great example of the walled prison/sandbox and standard web purchases ecosystem works. Sure you had to go through hoops in order to even use the jailbreak, but that is exactly what the iPhone should allow too. And honestly, I think the percentage of people actually going to third party stores would be minimal for iOS purchases. But the fact they DON'T allow it is why people want the phone jailbroken. As for people pirating apps, I certainly don't condone it. But, I know of people that do, and it isn't about stealing. As they say, there are two sides to each story, and from what I discovered, it is because they want to try it out first. Besides light/free versions, there is no way to actually demo something before purchase. A few screenshots or a demo video on their website often isn't enough for someone to make a decision to purchase something. Regardless if it is $1 or a $100. If by pirating, they decide they do like it, they often purchase it. But if they discover it is a load of tosh, then they erase it. I think Adobe secretly condones piracy to a point that it is a way to reach the masses. Home consumers would never purchase Photoshop for example. But once they master it and know it, they can then tell their purchasing manager at their place of employment, it is all they know. A home user in this case is not a loss sale because they would not of ever purchased it anyway. But once they become experts in it, they can then demand it in their office where they would obtain a legal copy. Thus, a sale is the result of piracy. I think that stands true with iOS piracy, though I cannot vouch for everyone as I am sure there are plenty that steal for the sake of stealing just as one does with actual goods in brick and mortar stores. I remember fondly that BlackBerry had a three day trial with most of the apps in their store. It was great as I got to experience the app and decide if it is worth trying or not. The problem with light versions is also caused by the sandbox itself. If it were a game, your progress would be lost if you got the full version (especially with separate iPad versions, unless the iCloud was implemented properly).

And I think my two pence is now worth a few pounds since I went on a rather large tangent here, but just my thoughts why I jailbreak, why I did so just now with my iPhone and iPad. Despite the controversy, at the end of the day, I am able to use my device the way I want it to, not the way Apple wants us to. They make great products and obviously I was living quite fine without it being jailbroken, but after working my arse off to buy such toys, I should be able to use what I pay for the way I want.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Honestly, for me, the interface look of iOS 7 was shocking at first. But, eventually I got used it and now like it. While it still looks like it is meant fan of hello kitty for tween girls, the flatness looks nice (and I had been known to use pastels in my graphic work, but I digress)

Anyway, the only reasons why I jailbreak is not for piracy. It isn't to change the themes. It is for tweaking the operating system. I am a developer, I made bug reports and change requests to get certain features implemented, and they don't. iOS is a modified OS X. Modifying a few select plist files is what I do on my own phone which I paid for, so I should do what I want.

I like how Android and BlackBerry and even Nokia all had an option that allowed you to download from the web and install unsigned code if you accepted the risks it poses. I understand that will ruin Apple's profits on third party stores if a developer chooses to sell from his website. But again, if he did, he will have to eat the hosting and credit card processing. So it would still work out in the end, since at the end of the day, people are still buying the hardware.

I like having root access to my system. I understand the risks and I should be entitled to do so as I please. Even by doing so voids the warranty, so be it. I like the ability of getting apps that Apple may think is inappropriate. I am a consenting adult. If Apple bans things because they contain nudity/profanity/etc, then they should ban Safari because you can get all the smut or even illegal content through it. It should not be up to Apple what is appropriate for me to buy or not. If they don't want to allow smut to be sold on their store, as it being their store, it is certainly their right to do so. But if they want it that way, they should then allow people other methods of obtaining said smut (as native apps are far superior to web-based ones). And if you may recall correctly, Apple never intended to have native apps. It was the original popularity of Cydia that caused Apple to change their tunes (no pun intended). Why they never thought it was a good idea is beyond my comprehension.

Look at the Mac App store as an example. That is a great example of the walled prison/sandbox and standard web purchases ecosystem works. Sure you had to go through hoops in order to even use the jailbreak, but that is exactly what the iPhone should allow too. And honestly, I think the percentage of people actually going to third party stores would be minimal for iOS purchases. But the fact they DON'T allow it is why people want the phone jailbroken. As for people pirating apps, I certainly don't condone it. But, I know of people that do, and it isn't about stealing. As they say, there are two sides to each story, and from what I discovered, it is because they want to try it out first. Besides light/free versions, there is no way to actually demo something before purchase. A few screenshots or a demo video on their website often isn't enough for someone to make a decision to purchase something. Regardless if it is $1 or a $100. If by pirating, they decide they do like it, they often purchase it. But if they discover it is a load of tosh, then they erase it. I think Adobe secretly condones piracy to a point that it is a way to reach the masses. Home consumers would never purchase Photoshop for example. But once they master it and know it, they can then tell their purchasing manager at their place of employment, it is all they know. A home user in this case is not a loss sale because they would not of ever purchased it anyway. But once they become experts in it, they can then demand it in their office where they would obtain a legal copy. Thus, a sale is the result of piracy. I think that stands true with iOS piracy, though I cannot vouch for everyone as I am sure there are plenty that steal for the sake of stealing just as one does with actual goods in brick and mortar stores. I remember fondly that BlackBerry had a three day trial with most of the apps in their store. It was great as I got to experience the app and decide if it is worth trying or not. The problem with light versions is also caused by the sandbox itself. If it were a game, your progress would be lost if you got the full version (especially with separate iPad versions, unless the iCloud was implemented properly).

And I think my two pence is now worth a few pounds since I went on a rather large tangent here, but just my thoughts why I jailbreak, why I did so just now with my iPhone and iPad. Despite the controversy, at the end of the day, I am able to use my device the way I want it to, not the way Apple wants us to. They make great products and obviously I was living quite fine without it being jailbroken, but after working my arse off to buy such toys, I should be able to use what I pay for the way I want.

Thank you! I couldn't have said better myself.

I remember the first iPhone without even a cut/copy paste! I sometimes wonder what kind of people design these user interfaces and do they ever use the phones they design?

IOS is now almost 6 years old, and it is just barely catching up with the jailbreak tweaks. For example, it took 6 years to copy Boss Prefs and Activator and call it the Control Panel. Non jail-breakers, unaware of the tweaks available from Cydia, may be impressed but I'm not.

Intelliscreen came up with the best locked screen notification system years ago and even today, Apple's notification system is not even close. Finally after so many years, Apple added an audible missed message reminder but there is still not an audible missed call reminder.

Admittedly, Jailbreaking these days is not as crucial as it used to be, because Apple over the years adopted (copied) many of the functionalities of the programs from the Cydia store.

That being said, I will continue to Jailbreak until, out of the box, the phone is flexible enough to suit me rather than the other way around.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
Evad3rs initial letter stated that they made money and received compensation. Now the claim is that no monies was exchanged? Eh?

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
What exactly is wrong with Chinese companies?

Are you implying that piracy doesn't exist in America? Or that American companies at completely honest and above board all the time?

I never said it doesn't exist in America, I am simply stating it is much much much much much worse in China. They blatantly copy designs of technology ranging from phones to cars there. Worst of all they usually get away with it as the Government supports/pays for those companies. It's seriously way out of control there. You can find stores dedicated to Apple devices with not one real apple device in it. So yes there is something wrong with Chinese companies.. not all.. but much worse then most other places in the World.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
It's your phone. Do what you have to.

No way in hell I am opening up my device to instability and vulnerabilities that could be exploited by dubious jailbreak shadow backers.

Many of us are. Instability issues are overblown from novice jailbreakers. Haven't seen any documented security concerns with the jailbreak yet. Taig was the issue, which was only installed with those who have their pc language set to chinese and is no longer installed at all on any language.

So your comment is pretty much FUD, if it was so malicious people would have found problems by now. Link me one legitimate article!

The 'issues' with this jailbreak are the same as any other previous jailbreak. I understand people have a problem with that, but it's regarded as a 'safe' jailbreak by Saurik. Maybe I'm foolish, but I trust the guy and so does the community.

Last edited:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The 'issues' with this jailbreak are the same as any other previous jailbreak. I understand people have a problem with that, but it's regarded as a 'safe' jailbreak by Saurik. Maybe I'm foolish, but I trust the guy and so does the community.

Agreed.

I will point out that novice jail breakers should stay away from this for the time being. There's a fundamental piece (mobile substrate) that hasn't been updated for iOS 7 yet. Without that, most tweaks simply do not work - and your jailbroken device will be somewhat unstable.

I went ahead and jailbroke my iPad Mini, mainly to track progress. I can live with my iPad being a tad unstable. But my iPhone will wait.

Also, right now there's no point in jailbreaking the 5S - nothing's been updated for 64 bit architecture yet. I'm guessing that one may take a while...

discuit

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
It's been displayed on reddit that without Taig even being installed, the jailbreak still regularly made contact with the Chinese site.

That is categorically false. During installation, evasi0n7 makes a single contact to an IP owned by the evad3rs to check if a Taig "kill switch" has been set by them, preventing it from even being offered to Chinese language users. The kill switch was turned on shortly after launch and all Taig packages have been removed from evasi0n7 1.0.1.

No JB to my knowledge provides the JB user full (or even partial) root access.

Every jailbreak gives the user root access. Just SSH into the device and login as root.

Last edited:

Jessy1237

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2013
Are you guys being serious, you are having a go at these jailbreakers who do this for fun and for free so we can customize our ipod/iphones and you are complaining that they didn't wait to release their jailbreak for 7.1. 7.1 isn't coming out till next year around march. I don't want to wait that long, good on them for being quick and reliable they may have made a couple mistakes but who cares. You guys need to grow up and be thank full when **** like this gets handed to you for FREE.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Every jailbreak gives the user root access. Just SSH into the device and login as root.

Note that OpenSSH isn't part of the default install - you need to add that package if you want that ability.

If you do install ssh, make sure the first thing you do is change the passwords for user "root" and for user "mobile" as well!

I've found it useful to add the SBSettings ssh toggle - both for security and for battery savings. It makes it easy to leave the ssh daemon off most of the time, yet it's simple to turn it on when you want to ssh into your device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.