Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Are you experiencing this issue?

• Total voters

JokoWidodo

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
Are there any possibilities that the PWM flicker will be reduced via software update ? I just got the iPhone 15 Plus and its so much worse than my old iPhone X, on my iPhone X i can use it 30 mins+ before noticing any symtomps but on the 15+ i get it right away.. its insane.. why isn’t Apple doing anything about this !???

Reactions: DJTaurus

iCantSee

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2017
There’s plenty of dedicated cameras that are only cameras that cost more than $1400 — and they don’t fit in a pocket.
Just getting the 15PM to use as a camera is fine. Transfer the pictures later to a device that doesn’t blow out your eyeballs.
yeah honestly the combo of 14 and XR has been decent. Anything where I need long screen time I go XR. Quick check or photo use 14

DaPhox

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Are there any possibilities that the PWM flicker will be reduced via software update ? I just got the iPhone 15 Plus and its so much worse than my old iPhone X, on my iPhone X i can use it 30 mins+ before noticing any symtomps but on the 15+ i get it right away.. its insane.. why isn’t Apple doing anything about this !???
Then why dont you buy an SE if you know youll have problems? Makes no sense buying oled over & over again? Whats wrong with people?

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2006
XR dying? 11 dying?
I’m using a 6S Plus and it runs fine.
Hmmm
I agree with your sentiment. Anyone having an issue with their iPhone "dying" should get a battery replacement and "Erase All Content and Settings." In most cases, it'll feel like a brand new iPhone.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I'm getting blurriness in my eyes when I look at my 15 Pro Max for too long. I never had this issue with the prior OLED iphones. I see several people here mentioning that the 16 might fix the flickering issue, any source for this? Or is it just wishful thinking?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I'm getting blurriness in my eyes when I look at my 15 Pro Max for too long. I never had this issue with the prior OLED iphones. I see several people here mentioning that the 16 might fix the flickering issue, any source for this? Or is it just wishful thinking?
Unless I missed something I think it’s just wishful thinking.

Reactions: Supermallet

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The only difference with iPhone 16 is the micro-lens technology, which would increase power efficiency. This may or may not help the flickering.

There’s also optimism around the EU’s strict regulation on flickering lights, although this only seems to apply to lightbulbs/fluorescent lighting in the documentation that I could find.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Thanks for confirming! I don’t expect Apple to do any better on this for the 16 series. I’ll just try to minimize the amount of time I spend on the phone and maximize the amount of time I use my iPad Pro and MacBook Pro.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Thanks for confirming! I don’t expect Apple to do any better on this for the 16 series. I’ll just try to minimize the amount of time I spend on the phone and maximize the amount of time I use my iPad Pro and MacBook Pro.
I’m curious about what the OLED iPad Pro’s will be like. After all this time I would think it would have a superior design to the iPhone panels, so it could be a preview of what’s to come.

It’ll probably be similar to the 480Hz on the Pro iPhones, or 120Hz-240Hz with lower modulations. Any different would surprise me. I’m hoping that they test 120Hz, syncing to the refresh rate, with ultra-low modulations.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Wonders never cease MB actually mentioned the PWM issue in one of his reviews. In this case the OnePlus 12 that has a screen that helps with the problem.

Reactions: Gargamelus

badger1212

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Wonders never cease MB actually mentioned the PWM issue in one of his reviews. In this case the OnePlus 12 that has a screen that helps with the problem.

This one didn't work for me, unfortunately. I returned it. The only one that has is the Honor Magic 6 Pro which I am still using fairly comfortably, but it's good news that high profile reviewers are mentioning this now.

Gargamelus

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2022
This one didn't work for me, unfortunately. I returned it. The only one that has is the Honor Magic 6 Pro which I am still using fairly comfortably, but it's good news that high profile reviewers are mentioning this now.
Motorola Edge 40 Pro is highly recommended on reddit.

Heman87

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
This is very good to hear. I also read comments about the honor on Reddit. Do you get eye strain at all? And are you a heavy user?

Ps the One plus 12 isn’t a good phone for us. It’s just marketing. I think the nothing phone 2a is more interesting than the OP12

badger1212

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
This is very good to hear. I also read comments about the honor on Reddit. Do you get eye strain at all? And are you a heavy user?

Ps the One plus 12 isn’t a good phone for us. It’s just marketing. I think the nothing phone 2a is more interesting than the OP12
Very heavy user. I really don't get much eye strain at all. Battery and Camera are very good.

Heman87

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
Off Topic, but on topic question... Does anyone here have problems when using/watching OLED tvs?
I have a LG OLED tv. I can watch movies/tv shows without any problems. However if I play on my PlayStation and I play very focused then my eyes do get tired after a while. I didn’t have that on lcd tv’s.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I have a LG OLED tv. I can watch movies/tv shows without any problems. However if I play on my PlayStation and I play very focused then my eyes do get tired after a while. I didn’t have that on lcd tv’s.
Hmmmn. Thinking about trying a lg c3 as a monitor.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Off Topic, but on topic question... Does anyone here have problems when using/watching OLED tvs?
I bought a 65" Samsung Frame a few years ago and it gave me a headache in 2 hours. Returned it and got the same TV in a 55" size and have had no issues. Never could explain it but the 55 was fine.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
One possible reason that OLED tvs don’t bother most people is because your eyes aren’t constantly scanning back & forth quickly like they do when reading text on an iPhone.
On a tv, it’s usually pretty far away and you’re basically staring straight ahead. When your eyes are rapidly moving back & forth reading stuff on an iPhone, you can then detect the flickering.

johhno140

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2022
I got an OLED tv a couple of years ago and it definitely made me feel a little light headed and dizzy, very similar to the effects I experienced when trying out an OLED iPhone. What I then did was turn off all the artificial ‘enhancements’ the tv had enabled by default. Instantly the picture looked so much better, my eyes relaxed and it has caused no issues whatsoever since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.