Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
You mean just like the article said or did you mean a car that supports carplay only? Cuz the Ford guy said their cars will support carplay... in addition to android auto and snyc.

If they support it in a none intrusive way ill be good with it.

detayls

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
So you would let a $800 phone dictate what $30k - $50k+ car you purchase?

If I like the car then Hands free and a way to doc would be good enough for me.

Yes, of course. It was a $45,000 Toyota Avalon and a $1,000 iPhone. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

To put it bluntly, yes.

My next car WILL have CarPlay.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
It can't be worst than Dodge/Chrysler and their absolutely horrible UConnect system

I wish these car makers woke up and realized what century they're in :p

While it could use some work, you've obviously never owned a Ford with the SYNC system if you think FCA's UConnect is worse. It's infinitely better than the Microsoft based Ford SYNC system and is built upon the same QNX platform that Ford is currently planning to switch over to themselves.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
... a decision on a $40,000 car based on your $200 smartphone

Sad thing is, there's an idiot out there who would do just such a thing. Keeping their infotainment open to Sync, CP, and AA is the smartest move they could make. Since their goal is to sell cars, why alienate any customer? It's just plain common sense.

taamfortee

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2015
It certainly isn't.

I couldn't agree more! I've had many Fords with the Sync system as rental cars over the years. The system and the menus are completely counter-intuitive. One time I had the auxiliary input just flat out stop working. The solution - and this is no joke - I had to reboot. Borrowed an adjustable wrench, disconnected the car battery for a few minutes, and reconnected. Auxiliary input worked fine again. It is a Microsoft product, after all...so it would have been nice if they had provided the CTRL-ALT-DEL keys! :D

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
I notice that all those Ford cars sitting at the don't have Ford branded tires?

I wonder why?

Maybe they should allow those companies who excel at certain segments have a say

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
It can't be worst than Dodge/Chrysler and their absolutely horrible UConnect system

I wish these car makers woke up and realized what century they're in :p

I have a Jeep with Uconnect and my wife drives a Ford with sync. Uconnect is way better. Sync is trash.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Don't Give up control the control Ford... :D

Of course all the people "in a Mac forum" by the way would say Apple..... What do you expect ?

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
In a nutshell, all they had to do was build the new version of Sync on top of Blackberry's QNX OS/platform. Then it wouldn't matter if you were running Android, iOS, something else, or didn't have a smartphone at all, it'd just work. From the sound of it, Ford is over complicating something that should be a no-brainer.

/facepalm

Um, really? Ya might want to dig into this a little bit, that's exactly what they did for Sync 3 (built it on top of Blackberry QNX).... and it will be compatible with Android or iOS.

Ford was right to make the switch, but what is comical (as others have stated) is that they proclaim Sync of old has brought consumers into showrooms. The fact they haven't shifted to Sync 3 yet (and Carplay compatibility) is the very reason I didn't end up buying the new F 150.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

A better question would be why can't your $30K-$50k car work well with a $800 phone by supporting CarPlay. My whole life runs through my phone. You better believe it's going to determine what car I buy.

A vehicle without CarPlay support simply won't get my business. It's like not including air conditioning. I don't care how good the rest of the car is, I simply won't buy another car without it.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I'm really surprised that these car manufacturers aren't chomping at the bit to bring car play on board.

Most car manufacturers have really clumsy interfaces. Some examples are Ford, VW, Audi, Aston Martin, Toyota, Land rover & mercedes just can't seem to get it right.

They only really intuitive car interface i've seen is the BMW iDrive which many of the other german brands have tried to copy but don't quite hit the mark.

I understand not wanting to push customers into iPhone but i'm sure they could easily offer both options in the car.

I'm not a big fan of touch screens in cars though, find it very distracting and think the BMW dial approach is best and hopefully car play can be controlled this way as well.

SteveBlobs

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2013
Car companies don't get it

The only thing this guy from Ford gets right is that you're $40,000 car shouldn't be determined by what $200 phone you own. All these systems should at least allow you to use either Carplay or Google Auto, and if the car manufacturer want to have their own software as a third option, that's fine as well.

As someone who just bought a new car and was looking at the infotainment systems of many companies, the one thing that I came away with is that they all suck. Chevy, Ford, Subaru, Toyota. I ended up getting a Toyota and imho Entune is a piece of junk. Slow, featureless, not intuitive, cheap looking. It gets 1 1/2 stars in the app store. These car companies should be embarrassed that they're not in the same league as Apple and Google when it comes to car software.

Obviously the infotainment system shouldn't be the #1 reason you choose a certain vehicle, but it is a feature you'll use a lot in the car and these companies need to start working harder to make it work right.

Finally, if I could say one thing to Apple and Google it would be: make it safe. I really don't want to die in a car accident because some guy is updating his Facebook status.

DShel

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
Chicago, Illinois USA
I had been waiting for the 2016 Ford Fusion with cash in-hand. Sure enough, it was just released but NO SYNC 3. Unbelievable. The existing Sync is an atrocity. Sorry Ford, but I can't wait any longer. Even Hyundai and Kia are offering Car Play. Ford just lost a sale because they are in denial about how important cell phone compatibility is. They need to front-burner getting the new tech out.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm really surprised that these car manufacturers aren't chomping at the bit to bring car play on board.

Most car manufacturers have really clumsy interfaces. Some examples are Ford, VW, Audi, Aston Martin, Toyota, Land rover & mercedes just can't seem to get it right.

They only really intuitive car interface i've seen is the BMW iDrive which many of the other german brands have tried to copy but don't quite hit the mark.

I understand not wanting to push customers into iPhone but i'm sure they could easily offer both options in the car.

I'm not a big fan of touch screens in cars though, find it very distracting and think the BMW dial approach is best and hopefully car play can be controlled this way as well.

And this is why Apple is probably going down the route of their own car. These companies aren't going to give up their dashboard to anyone. The best we'll get is CarPlay which is OK but not great.

ScottHammet

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011

Look at it like this, it's not the phone that's dictating the car purchase, it's the integration with the ecosystem. And yes, Ford (or any other car company who might be reading) I will absolutely make my next car purchase based on integration with the Apple ecosystem.

Makes sense that the car companies would build cars with electronics that will work with Android or Apple (or whatever)--give customers the choice. But it's pure fantasy to think a car company can build better software than a software/hardware company. The best cars will have robust APIs--they become platforms--that let the customer's choice of software ecosystem interact with every feature in the car, and control every UI function.

ridgezin

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
Ford CTO Raj Nair explained that the company doesn't want people making car choices based on their smartphones.

It's not about the "phone" per se, but about the entire ecosystem and one's personal workflow. I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro and an iPad. My media are tied into the iTunes ecosystem was well as other apps that I have on my phone (Pandora, etc.). Messaging, Maps, etc. are also part of that same ecosystem. Would I make a car purchasing decision based on how nicely the car's infotainment system interfaced with all the rest of what I do? Damn right I would. I expect Android folks would feel the same.

The days of separate information silos for all of these things (phones, cars, computers) are long gone. We now expect seamless transition from one to another. If I look up an address on my computer, I expect to be able to have the address appear directly on whatever mapping device I will use in the car (currently my iPhone). I don't want to have to log into a separate system (Sync, Entune, or whatever) to transfer it over. As usual, it's about the customer user experience, in which Ford has fallen woefully behind most other carmakers.

Perhaps he's on the right track with a universally compatible infotainment system that plays nicely with everyone, but that's not how he comes across. He seems to be more interested in protecting Ford's proprietary interests. If this results in a subpar user experience for Android or Apple users, then it will be a big fail.

----------

Look at it like this, it's not the phone that's dictating the car purchase, it's the integration with the ecosystem. And yes, Ford (or any other car company who might be reading) I will absolutely make my next car purchase based on integration with the Apple ecosystem.

Makes sense that the car companies would build cars with electronics that will work with Android or Apple (or whatever)--give customers the choice. But it's pure fantasy to think a car company can build better software than a software/hardware company. The best cars will have robust APIs--they become platforms--that let the customer's choice of software ecosystem interact with every feature in the car, and control every UI function.

Looks like you type faster than me, but had exactly the same thoughts!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.