Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Don't Foul me

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
Ford Sync is much better than what I have in my RDX. Sometimes I think the RDX dashboard was designed by a retarded monkey.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I have the non-MyFordTouch version of Sync in my car. It's functional but very buggy. Occasionally it will endlessly index requiring me to pull the fuse to reboot it. Ford has said it is an obsolete version (its a 2012) and they won't ever patch it. So I don't have a very good opinion of Sync. Combine that with a transmission that apparently shutters so much when it shifts that it starts to break itself apart... yeah, this will probably be my last Ford.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Toyota has the same jackasstic attitude. Terrible, terrible user interface, terrible laggy performance, terrible eye-searing design, terrible useless navigation, terrible inaccurate voice recognition, terribly expensive updates.

And yet they persist, publicly insisting that Their Way is the best and that they will not be doing this CarPlay thing, thank you.

I don't get it. Their system is bad enough in our six-month old Prius that we've forsworn getting another until they get with the program. I know of no other owners who view their system as acceptable. Clearly they are not listening to the customer.

Saucesome2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
So you would let a $800 phone dictate what $30k - $50k+ car you purchase?

If I like the car then Hands free and a way to doc would be good enough for me.

I would look at it more as you are marrying the two products you rely on most in your whole life. In this day and age, this is a very valid argument as long as you are comparing two vehicles that are similar in cost, function, and quality.

horvatic

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
Ford needs to change sync to CarPlay

There navigation in Sync sucks! You can't type in a full address without it trying to manipulate it into something else or it won't bring up the correct keyboard keys to even let you type it in. I get way easier results using my phone and maps for navigation then Sync. CarPlay is the way to go Ford, get rid of Sync!

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Ford recalled 1 million cars this week. If you own a 2014 Ford Fusion it may have 3 recalls in one week. After 5 recalls in my one year with my Fusion, I traded my 2013 Ford in for a 2011 Lexus.

My Ford Fusions Sync was buggy and dangerous. Controls would lock up during driving like full blast heat in the summer.

My Lexus has had 0 recalls since 2011.

The people with the supposed runaway conditions had double stacked floor mats.

Any car can have that issue.

May be you're not affected but recalls are a plenty.
http://www.lexus.com/recall/index.html

Making excuses for a serious SW/design flaw where people are getting killed is a little too much brand loyalty for my taste.
http://www.lexus.com/recall/pdf/Pedal_Entrapment_Recall_Press_Release.pdf

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Doesn't matter to me what they use. I just take their crap out and put in aftermarket receivers, subs, and amps. However OEMs are making it harder to replace things since everything is so integrated in the dash and such. Some are still easy to swap out. A WRX comes to mind.

gorchest

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Idaho ho ho
"We want to make sure you are not pushed into a decision on a $40,000 car based on your $200 smartphone," Nair said.

OK why wouldn't you just get a low end radio in your new car and then find a top of the line unit with car play from a stereo installer if you can afford a 40k vehicle?

Don't Foul me

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
"We want to make sure you are not pushed into a decision on a $40,000 car based on your $200 smartphone," Nair said.

OK why wouldn't you just get a low end radio in your new car and then find a top of the line unit with car play from a stereo installer if you can afford a 40k vehicle?

Because often it makes the $40,000 car look like a $15,000 on the inside.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
And then they can see me walk away and buy a car that does support carplay !

Supporting and not giving complete control of the dashboard are two different things.

----------

A better question would be why can't your $30K-$50k car work well with a $800 phone by supporting CarPlay. My whole life runs through my phone. You better believe it's going to determine what car I buy.

A vehicle without CarPlay support simply won't get my business. It's like not including air conditioning. I don't care how good the rest of the car is, I simply won't buy another car without it.

ok....not having air conditioning is totally different point.

So how are you functioning now without CarPlay?

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
May be you're not affected but recalls are a plenty.
http://www.lexus.com/recall/index.html

Making excuses for a serious SW/design flaw where people are getting killed is a little too much brand loyalty for my taste.
http://www.lexus.com/recall/pdf/Pedal_Entrapment_Recall_Press_Release.pdf

Every manufacturer has recalls. It's the sum of the total per vehicle that's an issue. Ford's recent redesigns have taken them from top quality ratings to the bottom.

Nice link. If you read the link it talks about mats getting pedals stuck. Any car can do that if you put more than one mat in the drivers spot. If the people only used one mat as intended the hooks would have kept the mat back.

In addition starting in late 2010 and 2011 Toyota/Lexus as described added software to kill the engine if floored and brake applied. That software change was requested of all manufactures by the U.S. Government, but from my knowledge only applied by Toyota/Lexus.

There was no SW design flaw. The story fell out from the media when it was found people owning the vehicles where causing the issue.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
As long as cars still include an aux jack and Bluetooth connectivity for me to plug my smartphone into so I can listen to my music, I'm good.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Every manufacturer has recalls. It's the sum of the total per vehicle that's an issue. Ford's recent redesigns have taken them from top quality ratings to the bottom.

Nice link. If you read the link it talks about mats getting pedals stuck. Any car can do that if you put more than one mat in the drivers spot. If the people only used one mat as intended the hooks would have kept the mat back.

In addition starting in late 2010 and 2011 Toyota/Lexus as described added software to kill the engine if floored and brake applied. That software change was requested of all manufactures by the U.S. Government, but from my knowledge only applied by Toyota/Lexus.

There was no SW design flaw. The story fell out from the media when it was found people owning the vehicles where causing the issue.
Toyota is so innocent that they had to pay off the government to stop the probing in to their issues.

Toyota reaches $1.2 billion settlement to end probe of accelerator problems
By Danielle Douglas and Michael A. Fletcher March 19, 2014

Toyota Motor lied to regulators, Congress and the public for years about the sudden acceleration of its vehicles, a deception that caused the world’s largest automaker on Wednesday to be hit with a $1.2 billion Justice Department fine.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...38a3c4-af69-11e3-9627-c65021d6d572_story.html

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
It can't be worst than Dodge/Chrysler and their absolutely horrible UConnect system

I wish these car makers woke up and realized what century they're in :p

This? The 8.4?

http://www.driveuconnect.com/images/system/radio_images/system_lg_2012_8.4NRB5_chrysler.jpg

It's one of the best I've aeen - sure it's not pretty, but all of the presets and modes are clearly visible all the time and you can switch between things with fewer taps than any other system I've used. There's no stupid interface, and the most important stuff has physical controls still - and their radio buttons on the back of the wheel are standard across their brand, and have been consistent for years.

The only problem I have with the 8.4 in my chrysler is the voice recognition is useless. I have a smaller Uconnect 730 in my jeep and that one has good voice control but the gui is a piece of crap.!!

I'd love to replace it with a CarPlay radio but none of them do Bluetooth and that's a deal killer.

Also, while writing this post I switched tabs to get that picture, when I came back my stupid **** iPhone refreshed the page and I lost all my text - plus the iPhone fought me tooth and nail to not type in Uconnect! Argh!

Reactions: kdarling

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
There navigation in Sync sucks! You can't type in a full address without it trying to manipulate it into something else or it won't bring up the correct keyboard keys to even let you type it in. I get way easier results using my phone and maps for navigation then Sync. CarPlay is the way to go Ford, get rid of Sync!

Does any built in navigation system NOT suck?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I like iDrive but everyone else hates it.

I think Idrive is probably the best system out there. My existing car has the Professional Navigation system and Connected drive. My Iphone six pairs with bluetooth for both Telephone and Audio functions the diplay includes album artwork. My address book on the phone is used by the navigation system. The car is also equipped with its own SIM card which has no cost associated with it for the first three years it provides conciege service, emergency assistance, automatic map updates, internet access etc.

The navigation using Idrive is very intuitive. Personally I am unable to see how Carplay could enhance the existing experience. Voice input is available for all functions.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Got tired of waiting for Ford to implement CarPlay, so I bought one of the new Pioneer double din decks today which supports CarPlay. Its a massive upgrade over the buggy and slow Sync that came with my 2014 Edge. Couldn't be happier.

lmolmud

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015

Ford has promised to bring CarPlay to its vehicles and is listed as one of Apple's CarPlay partners, but Ford executives say the company will also focus on compatibility with Android and its own Ford SYNC in-car infotainment system to give consumers as much choice as possible. In an interview with Re/code, Ford CTO Raj Nair explained that the company doesn't want people making car choices based on their smartphones.Ford's focus is on SYNC, but the company says that it is planning to support Android Auto and CarPlay and will look to integrate SYNC more closely with both systems. According to Nair, a customer who wants to use Google Maps but listen to Sirius radio using SYNC will be able to do so.

Despite not wanting to hand over control of its in-car infotainment systems to Apple and Google, Ford is eager to embrace new technology. At the meeting with Re/code, Nair was wearing an Apple Watch sporting one of the apps that the Ford team built in a week. A MyFord Mobile research app that links the PHEV Fusion Energi, C-MAX Energi, and Focus BEV cars to the Apple Watch was shown off on Twitter earlier today.

fordapplewatch.jpg

Image via Said Deep, Head of Ford North America Product Communications
Ford's upcoming SYNC 3 system is set to debut this summer with support for both CarPlay and Android Auto. Following the launch of the new system, Ford should be releasing vehicles with CarPlay support by the end of 2015.

Article Link: Ford Working With Apple on CarPlay, But Won't Give Up Control of the Dashboard

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Does anyone think that in much the same way that Apple pay we see multiple merchants supporting more than one form (eg ApplePay/AndroidPay), would we see the same with CarPlay ? (eg u can not only use iPhones with a given model car but also other phones too,) ?

since thinking of this, as behind the scene it seems kinda likely that manufactured are not sure which to support.. so my reason why, why not just support multiple ?

in this, the dash would become more like a ATM (multiple selection). and would auto detect the connected device and based on options supported by the phone, would allow this said features to be used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.