Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
It seems like there are some folks in here assuming that because a cars function is simple and hasn't changed dramatically in 100 years, that it's therefore a simple thing to change. The entertainment portion of the cars CAN-Bus system is such a ridiculously small part of what needs to happen to keep the car running, that until recent years, the manufacturer just didn't care.

This uprising of connectivity is forcing their hands and they will respond. But truly though - for this one segment of technology - the best solution would be for Apple and Google to form a joint team and create Sync, Uconnect, Entune, etc driver plugins that on a rolling basis continue to support the previous two versions of their device OS. The Android and Apple folks get the connectivity they want, and the auto manufacturers get to focus on what they view are the important items.

mausdesign

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
I can only imagine what Steve would say to Ford

I think Steve would tell them to take a hike.

Its not like Apple needs Ford to be successful in the car entertainment business. Anyway, people already have a choice via tuner input, direct-connect, or bluetooth interfaces to connect anything that want to their car stereos.

Luman

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Um, really? Ya might want to dig into this a little bit, that's exactly what they did for Sync 3 (built it on top of Blackberry QNX).... and it will be compatible with Android or iOS.

Ford was right to make the switch, but what is comical (as others have stated) is that they proclaim Sync of old has brought consumers into showrooms. The fact they haven't shifted to Sync 3 yet (and Carplay compatibility) is the very reason I didn't end up buying the new F 150.

Yes. Really. If that's what they did, then the support is there and this should be a non-issue.

I have a '12 Focus with MFT and loathe the system. It's slow, the screen, being resistive touch-based instead of capacitive, is slow to respond, & the nav logic is asinine (Apple & Google Maps are more efficient and quicker at calculating a route, even without traffic). On that note, traffic is a pay-for service. Connecting anything via USB to play music is cumbersome & slows the system down even more so (so I stream via Bluetooth). It will randomly crash & reboot. It doesn't even remember the last FM station when switching to-and-from radio/Bluetooth/USB.

On a related note, MFT runs on an ancient version of MS Auto & leverages Flash Lite, which partially explains why upgrades have been slow and sparse.

And lastly, there's only one (poor quality) microphone in the car, and it's placed in the center, overhead controls, which results in me yelling at the car to get it to hear me properly (which must be a sight for other drivers :) ).

With no upgrade path (be it software based or by purchasing new Sync hardware), there's no way I'm buying another Ford unless it has Sync 3, and not unless I'm able to move the brains of the infotainment center to my phone (per se).

glowdragon

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Kenosha, WI
And I thought I had it bad with my Lotus Elise that I can't put a 2-din Carplay headunit into! Only space for a 1-din and no Carplay compatible decks are made yet :(

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
The infotainment system in a car does a lot more functions that the kinds of services that CarPlay or android mobile offer, so there still needs to be an underlying system that does everything that the phone can link to. And this underlying systems need to work, for reasons much more serious than the ability to make a phone call. So any change would take a lot of testing.
The other reason car companies are slow to respond to CarPlay and similiar is that the infotainment system is a major upsell item in the sales room. Products like CarPlay disrupt that gravy train.

But to claim sync has attracted buyers? Bwahahaha! I hope sync 3 is better. And in this case better is a very low bar.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Yet another reason to not buy Ford :)

That being said, Carplay is sure taking its time making it into cars. Are there any <$40K cars being sold right now that actually have a decent implementation of CarPlay (this being almost 2 years since it was announced)?

Apple might start shipping its own cars before Carplay gets wide rollout.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
As a potential customer, I'd have been much more interested in hearing him say "we're giving over the design to Apple."
NO WAY. Give Apple the control over designing a CAR/Truck you will get a very very thin vehicle with very degraded functionality and no windows. NO THANKS. Lets leave vehicle design to Ford.

happygodavid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
Obviously the infotainment system shouldn't be the #1 reason you choose a certain vehicle, but it is a feature you'll use a lot in the car and these companies need to start working harder to make it work right.

Totally agree. I just bought a 2015 Subaru Outback, and while their infotainment system is generally reviewed well against other car manufacturers' attempts, it's not a seamless experience. I constantly think, "If only they would let Apple or Google handle all this stuff."

I also wonder what will happen when they DO get it right (for those of us who buy new cars and keep them until they die). A perfect system would allow for infotainment system upgrades every few years (wishful thinking, but I can hope).

macnylonguitar

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
I am not sure what Ford is smoking, but for them to not realize that SYNC is the biggest piece of **** ever, whoever is making these decisions needs to be fired already.

I have a Ford Focus SE 2013, I like the styling and handling, but the power / torque totally sucks.

I wish I had the ST (another story, a manual transmission in Los Angeles, don't think so).

I will never buy a Ford again, period, And it is in large part due to the piece of **** SYNC, are you listening Ford (and their suspect Dual Clutch Transmission, fix it already Ford).

Whoever is offering Car Play will go to the top of my list for my next car: BMW or Subaru, no Car Play?, later.

If I ever see a car that only comes with Sync, WILL NEVER, EVER BUY IT.

I now have to live with this giant SYNC turd. Why not simply give customers a real solution, like a system that actually works, and is intuitive, like Car Play.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
This is because for the next 'Sync' system Ford is ditching the Microsoft effort in favour of the Blackberry QNX system, and so thus it is easy to implement the Apple and Android car systems due to that.

Having the Microsoft Sync system, it has kinda gone forwards and backwards, it's more phone friendly and will read text messages out etc, but you cannot control the car's heating system or radio via your voice, you can do that on Fords own voice control system.

It's great to see Ford jump on the bandwagon though, they seriously need to I think work on hands free and eyes free controls of these more and more advanced car systems. Voice control is one, I see Audi has worked on free air gesture control.

I had a 2009 from new Ford Fiesta ZetecS with Fords own voice control system, I currently have a from new 2013 Fiesta ST with the Microsoft Sync system.

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006
... a decision on a $40,000 car based on your $200 smartphone

Sad thing is, there's an idiot out there who would do just such a thing. Keeping their infotainment open to Sync, CP, and AA is the smartest move they could make. Since their goal is to sell cars, why alienate any customer? It's just plain common sense.

I don't really understand the monetary argument. If I have to drive 3 hours a day and all my "in-car" entertainment is *on my phone* why does it matter if my phone costs 1/1000th the price of the car or 1/10th? My entertainment is still on my phone and the car with the best system to deliver said entertainment is the car I want.

Now, if the car could access that same information, making my phone obsolete while I'm in the car, I could understand. But most people have their music/books/podcasts on their phone...not directly integrated into their car.

wombat94

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2010
Forgive my ignorance - but do the "Range 20 EV mi" and "Battery 80%" graphics indicate that at an 80% charge the car has a range of 20 mi? :confused: Seems really low.

From the top of the watch display, this is a Fusion Energi... which is a plug-in hybrid - not a pure electric car.

It is basically a hybrid with a bigger battery that can be charged on-board or at home. The battery is very small by EV standards, but it does provide a relatively short distance of pure-electric driving if you choose to use it that way.

Relatively small use case for PHEVs, in my opinion. They can be good if your normal daily driving is very low mileage, but also tend to drive long distances on a semi-regular basis.

I had this in the 90s and early 2000s when my daily commute to work was only 4 miles, but I would also drive to a place at the Jersey shore each weekend (about 80 miles).

tliede20

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Don't Mind

I don't mind Sync so much... it's quirky but it doesn't really bother me. So long as they allow an update for Sync 2 to be able to do Apple CarPlay. I doubt it though. I mean I can't think of a infotainment unit that would be capable of doing all the things Sync does. >.<

Natas1000

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
I can not believe how bad the GEN2 Sync system is. When you look at all the other tech in the market place at the same time it was released, it could only be willful negligence. It is the only thing that I dislike in my truck and it is so bad that it constantly reminded you that it is ****.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
They're not now?

Right now I can't, for example, use CarPlay in my Mazda6. I'm stuck connecting to the system via bluetooth for very basic stuff, and then mostly using Mazda's horrible UI. I think other people have similar complaints about their carmaker's choice of infotainment system.

The point is, right now, whatever Ford or Mazda or Honda goes with, you're stuck using it or ripping out the entire system and replacing it with an aftermarket solution or grafting a second system on top of your dash. I would hope the future holds options like CarPlay for iOS users AND Android Auto (or whatever Google went with) for Android users, instead of an either/or situation. I'd prefer to choose the vehicle first and have various infotainment options available, then limit my purchasing choice to cars that happen to be compatible with my phone.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
"The data shows SYNC has been a significant draw in the showroom"

Competitor showrooms for sure :D

Yes, SYNC has been very low in customer's thoughts by a wide majority for a long time. Theoretically, it works. And techies like that.

It's no big problem supporting both. Pioneer has lots of things available. We probably need some ground rules about how the unit works if you have no smartphone, if you have Android, or if you have CarPlay. Ford should give you a basic unit that has an acceptable rig, and you can Bluetooth in with either of the main smartphone systems. Hint: the apps won't have access to any of the car data, because that's a stupid idea.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Right now I can't, for example, use CarPlay in my Mazda6. I'm stuck connecting to the system via bluetooth for very basic stuff, and then mostly using Mazda's horrible UI. I think other people have similar complaints about their carmaker's choice of infotainment system.

The point is, right now, whatever Ford or Mazda or Honda goes with, you're stuck using it or ripping out the entire system and replacing it with an aftermarket solution or grafting a second system on top of your dash. I would hope the future holds options like CarPlay for iOS users AND Android Auto (or whatever Google went with) for Android users, instead of an either/or situation. I'd prefer to choose the vehicle first and have various infotainment options available, then limit my purchasing choice to cars that happen to be compatible with my phone.

We need a law that cars must be offered with a bare wire sticking out of the dash. Must publish the specs for their platform, so that you can run the entertainment and communications hub as you wish. All car systems are run by wire now, so we need security in the car electronics, and very secure access of the entertainment apps to , read only. Enough to find the closest Internet. Oh, wait, that's the problem that's not solved yet. A net-aware car with no Internet for most of the country?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I notice that all those Ford cars sitting at the don't have Ford branded tires?

I wonder why?

Maybe they should allow those companies who excel at certain segments have a say

Nobody would buy the car if they could only ever use Firestone tires on it. The buyer still has a choice. Your analogy doesn't work.

Ford is simply saying we would like our buyers to feel free to choose the car they like regardless of which phone is in their pocket.

Supporting all options is a good idea. Funny how upset some are over the idea of Ford not requiring a buyer to own an iPhone.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2011
When I bought my 2009 F150 I thought Sync was a cool idea but now realize how much it sucks. It never calls the right person or plays the right song. Another ****** Microsoft system in my opinion. I just use Siri on my iPhone to call people or play music.

The next vehicle we buy will have CarPlay. Will only go with Ford or Chevy so whomever gets CarPlay first wins our business in this house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.