Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I appreciate the feedback. I feel the same way....it just doesn't seem like it could go anywhere. I'd much rather Samsung dedicate whatever resources are working on the Edge to building/making flexible/foldable displays viable.

That would be cool.

YESSS foldable displays is the future. Consolidate tablets and phones into one, charge a higher price for it, higher profit margins, and an entirely new technology explosion.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
YESSS foldable displays is the future. Consolidate tablets and phones into one, charge a higher price for it, higher profit margins, and an entirely new technology explosion.
I can't wait for the bendable foldable screens too! But i don't the technology just jumping like that. I think it is slow with many little iterations along the way. I see the edge displays being a iteration to the bendable/foldable screens.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I can't wait for the bendable foldable screens too! But i don't the technology just jumping like that. I think it is slow with many little iterations along the way. I see the edge displays being a iteration to the bendable/foldable screens.

I agree. For a bizarre reason Samsung keep being credited for a "bendable" phone while the only hint towards that was a patent that was just as generic as anything. So really, I think it's a far, far away for now.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Yup. Same with other tech like wireless charging or quick charge. Things will get more advanced and you can thank the companies that try to pioneer those first steps. Like I said, Samsung isn't the only company that does this.

Many companies make different variants of their products to address niche markets. Car companies is probably a prime example.

This is just how Samsung rolls. If it somehow sinks their business that's their business (pun!) though it doesn't seem like proof can be provided of a direct correlation of that. Until then we can appreciate new tech for what it is even if we don't partake necessarily. I, for one, likely won't get either the s6 or the edge variant. But its just cool to talk about and see. I wouldn't knock any company for experimenting. In fact I bet many of the other companies wishes they had the resources and manufacturing connections to experiment. Samsung being a manufacturer of these different parts (soc, ram, screen tech,etc,) must really help them experiment. I bet struggling companies like HTC wishes they had that sort of ability to take risks.

(I'm far more interested in the possibilities of the m9 or the next Sony xperia z4 btw!).

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I agree. For a bizarre reason Samsung keep being credited for a "bendable" phone while the only hint towards that was a patent that was just as generic as anything. So really, I think it's a far, far away for now.
I think the bendable screens are not in the distant future. But it takes small steps for the tech to evolve into something great.
Here are the POC demo for the stuff from the future from Samsung.
Love to see this tech be available on all phones...

----------

Yup. Same with other tech like wireless charging or quick charge. Things will get more advanced and you can thank the companies that try to pioneer those first steps. Like I said, Samsung isn't the only company that does this.

Many companies make different variants of their products to address niche markets. Car companies is probably a prime example.

This is just how Samsung rolls. If it somehow sinks their business that's their business (pun!) though it doesn't seem like proof can be provided of a direct correlation of that. Until then we can appreciate new tech for what it is even if we don't partake necessarily. I, for one, likely won't get either the s6 or the edge variant. But its just cool to talk about and see. I wouldn't knock any company for experimenting. In fact I bet many of the other companies wishes they had the resources and manufacturing connections to experiment. Samsung being a manufacturer of these different parts (soc, ram, screen tech,etc,) must really help them experiment. I bet struggling companies like HTC wishes they had that sort of ability to take risks.

(I'm far more interested in the possibilities of the m9 or the next Sony xperia z4 btw!).
The M9 will most likely be my next phone!

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Meh, have they really introduced anything revolutionary or even exciting? They are very nice designs, not my cup of tea but they are nice, but at the end of the day they are still pretty much the same smartphone as everyone else in possibly a nicer package.

One thing you have to hand to Samsung is the revolutionary things they do. Stylus, multi window, phablets, etc. I'm not saying they necessarily invented any of those, but they implemented and marketed them successfully.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Meh, have they really introduced anything revolutionary or even exciting? They are very nice designs, not my cup of tea but they are nice, but at the end of the day they are still pretty much the same smartphone as everyone else in possibly a nicer package.

One thing you have to hand to Samsung is the revolutionary things they do. Stylus, multi window, phablets, etc. I'm not saying they necessarily invented any of those, but they implemented and marketed them successfully.

I'm with you. I appreciate what Samsung is doing and the risks they take. Definitely benefits the consumers at the end of the day.

As for the M9 and the Z4, you're right to say they may not offer anything too new. It'll be interesting to see how they turn out before committing to either.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Samsung phones have the best features imo. They might not be tgr best looking but they get a pass because they more than make up for it in functionality.

I've never been interested in HTC or Sony's android phones. They just seem a bit meh to me. Granted the one looks nice but after that it doesn't have anything going for it.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Samsung phones have the best features imo. They might not be tgr best looking but they get a pass because they more than make up for it in functionality.

I've never been interested in HTC or Sony's android phones. They just seem a bit meh to me. Granted the one looks nice but after that it doesn't have anything going for it.

Same. There just isn't anything that exciting to me outside of Samsung and Apple.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK

The Samsung features is why I'm not tempted to go back apple

Great phones but don't compare to Samsung for what I use it for.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Bump

In UK the edge comes as 64GB as the standard storage

128GB will also be available according to Samsung UK

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Galaxy S6 Edge

Well it will help justify the likely £150-200 price differential.

I want to see if carriers will stock it and what price it will be subsidised.

I also wonder does that mean only the €950 is going to be available as a starting price for Europe ? That's a dramatically big difference if the standard S6 is starting at €699 - even if the S6 Edge has bumped storage.

I'd really like a green edge. I'm not sure I (no I'm positive I don't) want to spend 950 euro on one however.

€750 is pushing my top in regards to Android. Additionally resale value of Android handsets has never been the greatest compared to iOS - so I'd likely wait - but I imagine at those kind of prices there won't be a huge amount of them hitting the classifieds either.

If the Note 5 goes same way, god help us with its pricing.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I also wonder does that mean only the €950 is going to be available starting price for Europe ? That's a dramatically big difference if the standard S6 is starting at €699 - even if the S6 Edge has bumped storage.

I'd like a green edge. I'm not sure if I want to spend 950 euro on one..... Resale value of Android handsets has never been the greatest compared to iOS - so I'd likely wait - but I imagine at those kind of prices there won't be a huge amount of them hitting the classifieds either.

I'm skeptical on carriers stocking all three storage variants. Even when samsung have released 32GB variants of their S series, the carriers in the UK have only stocked the 16 GB variant. I'd imagine you could probably order whatever size you wanted from Samsung but as you say I'm also not sure I'd like to spend more than £700 on the 128 GB variant. On top of that the Note 4 is still calling me. It becomes more attractive now since it has a removable battery and an SD card slot. I had to buy a new laptop this month #

Which means at the end of the month I'm free to buy the note 4/ S6 Edge or Apple watch.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm skeptical on carriers stocking all three storage variants. Even when samsung have released 32GB variants of their S series, the carriers in the UK have only stocked the 16 GB variant. I'd imagine you could probably order whatever size you wanted from Samsung but as you say I'm also not sure I'd like to spend more than £700 on the 128 GB variant.

Yeah it's just gone over that 'I'm comfortable spending this' threshold. If it will hold back someone as impulsive and reckless with their money as me in regards to gadgets, I'm not convinced your average Joe Soap is going to jump on board at these pricing levels.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The price is going to be to high.

The only way round it is if the pound to euro rate works out well enough, otherwise I'll just wait a few months.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Seems to be edge in name only. Really can't compare it to the Note Edge at all. Nice Samsung, real nice.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Seeing as it has been confirmed to have the S6 edge with two sided curved.

any interest in this?

I don't see the benefit right now - but something tells me I would see the benefit in someone else's hand at the point I bought the non-Edge and it would drive me nuts, I'd sell my S6 at a loss and buy the Edge outright ...

May as well get the Edge myself straight away - and I do like it .. notification light on steroids lol ...

Really hope we don't see the same thing here in the UK again - no larger sizes in sight - ever, only the smallest size and anything else needs to be bought outright on Amazon, which likely turns out to be a Chinese fake .. Grmpf ..

My contract won't be due to renewal until August so hope it will be affordable by then ..

----------

Bump

In UK the edge comes as 64GB as the standard storage

128GB will also be available according to Samsung UK

Here's hoping .. Samsung UK may confirm that - but the carrier may see it differently "oh, no one will buy it anyway, may as well just offer the basic model".

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

It's coming in the near future.
If the Galaxy S6 edge is evolutionary. It will get us here eventually. When I don't know.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Looks cooler than all the newer phones out there. We are still at beta stages with this type of new screen technology. Once it starts to prove itself more useful, I would pass on it for now.

Note 4 and M9 are better buys right now. But if you are more fashionista, why not?

My gut feeling tells me Samsung will refine this and bring back a removable battery/micro-sd slot/and maybe water/dust resist by next year. S6 is like LG G2 only for LG to bring back those two features last year with the G3. This is like the Note 1 or first iPhone or HTC One M7 or Google Nexus One or LG G Flex. Better and even cheaper versions of it will soon follow.

You overpay now for Samsung to help recoup money for its R&D. It is like buying launch day titles for a new video game console only to expect the library sucks early on. By the time S8 Edge or S9 Edge (3rd to 4th gen) are released is when things start to mature and get refined. Look at the Note 3 & 4 vs Note 1 & 2. It also applies to software as well.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'll never pay 600€ for a phone again. That's my tops, and the S6 edge is way way more expensive than that :eek::eek:

In just 5 or 6 months the phone will lose so so much value. It will be available second hand for like 500€ I bet.

Phones are getting way too expensive. They now cost more than a laptop and similar to a 55 inch TV! :eek::eek:

If I want a new phone I'll do the same as I did with the S5: wait 6 months and buy it for 450€ max. I'm in no hurry to have the latest.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

I also wonder does that mean only the €950 is going to be available as a starting price for Europe ? That's a dramatically big difference if the standard S6 is starting at €699 - even if the S6 Edge has bumped storage.

I'd really like a green edge. I'm not sure I (no I'm positive I don't) want to spend 950 euro on one however.

€750 is pushing my top in regards to Android. Additionally resale value of Android handsets has never been the greatest compared to iOS - so I'd likely wait - but I imagine at those kind of prices there won't be a huge amount of them hitting the classifieds either.

If the Note 5 goes same way, god help us with its pricing.

I, too, am concerned that the Note 5 will be really high. Not only does my wallet think this is a bad idea, but so does my mind. Raising prices, even for superior (to me) hardware and software isn't the way to increase profits (unless you're Apple). Samsung not only needs to regain customers they need to keep them. These probable very high prices won't accomplish that. Android customers are much more price conscious than Apple customers; that's just how it is and Samsung has to accept it. Unfortunately, for me, I'm a diehard Note fan and I will be getting the Note 5, regardless. However, with many cheaper options, many Android users will go for the better bargains.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Back in 2011, I remember getting very excited about the Samsung Galaxy Note. You can find posts about it after IFA. Even a poster here pm'ed and was just as excited. The first gen Note took the idea of the Dell Streak and improved upon it with better hardware and S-Pen. Now look at the current industry. Phablets have become the norm. There is nothing odd holding up a large phone next to your ear. My foresight isn't always right (Xperia Play, anyone?) but that first Note I was right on because I knew that was the direction we were heading to. Larger displays.

Flash forward to 3+ years later and the recent S announcement might be the only time Samsung surpassed my expectations and I sorta left satisfied. The S6 Edge might be the coolest and best smartphone Samsung has ever released. Yeah, it lost a few things for the sake of fashion over function. But look at that screen. Is there any other smartphone out there right now that has a dual-edged/three-sided display like that? Anyone? The HTC One M9 is an evolution like a One M8.1. This S6 is a revolutionary step. I think in 2-3 years, several other companies will copy this style of Samsung just like when they followed them in the phablet market.

Right now, we are thinking of all the negatives and thinking "niche" or gimmicky. That happened to the first Note too when not alot of people could accept a phone having a screen larger than 4 inches. To me, this is a true breakthrough for the industry. Not just for Samsung. Trust me, companies like Xiaomi, LG, Huawei, etc will copy this same style of the S6 Edge. From a Note series to an Edge series. Apple will win this year in marketshare. But don't underestimate Samsung as they may regain their "edge" again next year. S6 Edge is the most forward thinking smartphone since the first Galaxy Note. We can bump this thread three years later and see if my foresight is true that others will copy and follow Samsung.

Revolutionary step forward in design... Dual edge display. One of a kind right now but more clones of it will follow in a few years.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'll never pay 600€ for a phone again. That's my tops, and the S6 edge is way way more expensive than that :eek::eek:

In just 5 or 6 months the phone will lose so so much value. It will be available second hand for like 500€ I bet.

Phones are getting way too expensive. They now cost more than a laptop and similar to a 55 inch TV! :eek::eek:

If I want a new phone I'll do the same as I did with the S5: wait 6 months and buy it for 450€ max. I'm in no hurry to have the latest.

Don't you also use your smartphone far more than a 55 Inch TV or laptop?

I certainly do. It's with me 99% of the time and I can everything on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.