Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The best way to "review" a phone is to own it yourself, I'm discovering.

Enjoying a lot about my S6 edge. But the speaker is abysmal.

It's so funny, the received wisdom on the internet was saying that the G4 speaker being on the back was lame, it was rubbish etc etc. It is SO much better than the S6. There is zero bass on the Samsung, it's very one-directional too whereas the G4 had much better coverage.

It's not a dealbreaker or anything, and it's fine for podcasts, it's just disappointing for music.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany

It's so funny, the received wisdom on the internet was saying that the G4 speaker being on the back was lame, it was rubbish etc etc. It is SO much better than the S6. There is zero bass on the Samsung, it's very one-directional too whereas the G4 had much better coverage.

It's not a dealbreaker or anything, and it's fine for podcasts, it's just disappointing for music.

I also own the Edge. Get yourself a good music player like Poweramp. The differences are shocking! I used DoubleTwist before that and was so disappointed in the bleakness of pretty much any music I threw at it. With Poweramp things have changed drastically.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014

Turn on the UHQ sound settings...it. should help unless you have weak earphones

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I also own the Edge. Get yourself a good music player like Poweramp. The differences are shocking! I used DoubleTwist before that and was so disappointed in the bleakness of pretty much any music I threw at it. With Poweramp things have changed drastically.

Really? You mean that Poweramp actually helps the speaker play music from Google Play Music with more ooomph? Will give it a try!

Turn on the UHQ sound settings...it. should help unless you have weak earphones

Actually with headphones it's amazing, I did the Adaptive Sound hearing test and I'm blown away with the before and after on my Sony headphones.

It's the speaker I was referring to.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Really? You mean that Poweramp actually helps the speaker play music from Google Play Music with more ooomph? Will give it a try!

Actually with headphones it's amazing, I did the Adaptive Sound hearing test and I'm blown away with the before and after on my Sony headphones.

It's the speaker I was referring to.
Google play music is actually one of the worst in terms of sound quality compared to other players...but go in settings and set it to high quality and get you a pair of seinnheisers. ...u would be set...also Sonys new Bluetooth speakers sound amazing with samsung devices.....don't forget to turn UHQ on...

Reactions: JaySoul

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Just updated my S6 edge and I can no longer screen mirror wtf

The only reason to keep my edge will be for showbox and WSS apps to mirror ugh

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Just got an update for my S6 edge.

The edge part now has the "Apps edge" favourites functionality!

Can't tell what else is new. It was over 200mb in size.
I can no longer screen mirror

Want to go back to old software

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What is screen mirror? And the update you got, is it Marshmallow 6.0?
Screen casting essentially.

6.0 hasn't began rolling out for Samsung devices yet so it will be a supplemental update possibly with the super fast security patch that was promised 3 months ago ;)

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Well I've just received my brand new S6 Edge+. And I'm pretty impressed. It's absolutely beautiful, and it's a good size. It makes me aware that although I know almost anything and everything about Android and Android phones, I've never actually owned one, and takes some getting used to. The buttons also need the same getting used to. I feel that once I've done that it will be fine.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well I've just received my brand new S6 Edge+. And I'm pretty impressed. It's absolutely beautiful, and it's a good size. It makes me aware that although I know almost anything and everything about Android and Android phones, I've never actually owned one, and takes some getting used to. The buttons also need the same getting used to. I feel that once I've done that it will be fine.
Enjoy your new device :). Remember there's more in common with OS's than different so the transition shouldn't be so tough to adapt to. People often get hung up on the differences whereas it's simpler to accept them, adapt to them and concentrate on the end goal which is much the same no matter what device your using. :)

What colour edge + did you go for ?

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Enjoy your new device :). Remember there's more in common with OS's than different so the transition shouldn't be so tough to adapt to. People often get hung up on the differences whereas it's simpler to accept them, adapt to them and concentrate on the end goal which is much the same no matter what device your using. :)

What colour edge + did you go for ?

Gold Platinum with no regrets. Since I got it I've sort of gotten used to it. I've mostly been playing around with the home screen customisations, themes, and Edge features. I actually find the Edge features pretty useful. I haven't taken full advantage of any of them yet apart from Night Clock, which is really good, and I have a feeling that I will use the Edge features quite a bit.

Reactions: MRU

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
Anyone want to play a game of who got the best deal on a brand new edge plus, I'll start, 395 cash, UK sterling.. It was an unwanted upgrade, brand new sealed box on Vodafone.. Even the Hong Kong dodgy electronics firms are asking 470 notes for Asian market imports.. I dropped on, the seller wanted a quick sale.. Awesome..

Reactions: jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Anyone want to play a game of who got the best deal on a brand new edge plus, I'll start, 395 cash, UK sterling.. It was an unwanted upgrade, brand new sealed box on Vodafone.. Even the Hong Kong dodgy electronics firms are asking 470 notes for Asian market imports.. I dropped on, the seller wanted a quick sale.. Awesome..
480 euro sealed in box. Unbranded & unlocked. Which is £340 !!!

What do I win ? ;)

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
It's probably the 32 gb version you got. ..correct? No way a 64 gb edge plus would be that low???

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Gold Platinum with no regrets. Since I got it I've sort of gotten used to it. I've mostly been playing around with the home screen customisations, themes, and Edge features. I actually find the Edge features pretty useful. I haven't taken full advantage of any of them yet apart from Night Clock, which is really good, and I have a feeling that I will use the Edge features quite a bit.
Gold Platinum is my favourite of the colours I've seen hands on.. I wish my Edge + Sapphire Blue was Gold but since I got it bargain price I had no options colour wise.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Gold Platinum is my favourite of the colours I've seen hands on.. I wish my Edge + Sapphire Blue was Gold but since I got it bargain price I had no options colour wise.
I love my Gold platinum...I even keep a handy clothe to clean the fingerprints up throughout the day lol

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
You should look at a skin to put on the back. Even a clear skin would get rid of the shininess and eliminate fingerprints
I have the spigen ultra thin liquid crystal clear case for s6 edge plus...u would almost not notice it's on...I think it's the best option if you want your phone close to naked as possible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.