Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
iPhone 4S runs iOS 7 just as well as the iPhone 5. Had no problems with mine. I love my 4S and will keep it for a long time.

If you don't notice lag or bugs, or dont do the things that cause them, then that's great. The risk is still there though.

My 4S runs iOS 7 just as well and yet just as poorly as a 5S or iPad Air. I haven't tried a 4, but if it ran any worse, I'd sure be kicking myself for upgrading.

Who wants their device to significantly lose usability...

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Btw I'm not a troll. Just a fan that's angry the way ios7 made my ip4 crap

Yeah. Installed 7.0.3. Made it a bit better but the framrate overall is rubbish. Music app is hideous. Too much white. Oh and the phone app is way too slow

----------

Just wondering if any one felt the same way :rolleyes:

Your iPhone 4 is crap, it's old, has less memory and is no longer manufactured. That being said my old one, which has just been handed on to a friend, runs fine with ios7. But they are older an only need it for SMS, mail & browsing.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Indeed. The Nexus 5 bests the iPhone in practically every category. I hate to say it, but it's true... Apple really needs to step up its game. I expected new features in iOS 7, but got none; just a redesign that made it boring and harder to use.

So, you had your Nexus 5 for a while then....

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Maybe... I just feel cheated by installing the awful ios7. I really liked the way my phone was.

Maybe I'll feel different next year but im definitely not upgrading to iphone 5 c/s because ios 7 made my phone awfull. I'd rather give android a go. Seems bit ok the last few days I've used it.

Makes me angry though because I loved the way it was

I agree with Am3r1ca16 - you're sounding like a petulant child stomping his/her foot while saying "I'm going home." What about the experience makes you "feel cheated?" Why'd you buy an iPhone in the first place? 'Cause "everyone else had one?" (Lemmings to the sea)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
just saw a news report that Apple does this on purpose ... the upgrade of the OS is nothing earth shattering ... the main purpose is, they want you to buy a new phone to replace your perfectly working iPhone 4 :apple:

It wasn't a news report. It was an opinion piece. HUGE difference.

Then the same author followed up with a blog post that kinda played down her claim.

And it's been said time and time again: if you look at the facts, Apple devices get supported longer than any of the counterpart Android, Blackberry, or Windows Phone devices. They get updates longer, and they even get some new features as part of those updates. You hardly see that on the other platforms.

Bottom line is, it's not so much planned obsolescence as it is planned evolution of the product line. For every person complaining that the iPhone 4 is crummy an slow on iOS7, there's at least one person clinging to their 3GS and shaking their fist at Apple that iOS7 wasn't supported on their perfectly-good phone. AND at least one archetypical fandroid leering that Apple doesn't innovate enough and their souped-up 27-inch Android phablet that overclocks only on benchmarks totally smokes the newest Apple iDevice.

People are always going to wish their devices were just a little bit better. And because of that technology will improve. Inevitably, that also means old products will start to get left behind. If it weren't for this, then sure, no one at all would be complaining that their circa-1990 candy bar phone doesn't run the latest software... because there would be no latest software.

Last edited:

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
even before I saw the story on the news ... I already suspected Apple purposely outdated their earlier phones with OS updates :apple:

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Btw I'm not a troll. Just a fan that's angry the way ios7 made my ip4 crap

Yeah. Installed 7.0.3. Made it a bit better but the framrate overall is rubbish. Music app is hideous. Too much white. Oh and the phone app is way too slow

----------

Just wondering if any one felt the same way :rolleyes:
I do. It has completely ruined my iPhone 4's performance. Safari is excruciatingly slow, laggy and unresponsive, and multi-tasking doesn't seem to happen: if I switch from one open app to another, the app has to restart and reconnect each time.

abhinavsingh88

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2013
Maybe This is not for iPhone 4

Did you update to 7.0.3? Because I saw a huge improvement for my iPhone 4.

Nothing new, this same type of UI lag was scene when iOS6 came up for iPhone 3GS (it seriously lagged a lot).
But yes!! Once you upgrade your iPhone to 7.0.3 you will that this lag goes away upto huge extent but still after the use of 10 to 12 days you will see that again the heavy applications start crashing.
Few days back my iPhone4 was not even able to handle the Google Maps :eek: (which you know is a mus app for every smartphone).

Its time to change the iPhone, but still I will not prefer Android. iPhone is so niche.. :D :D :p

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
even before I saw the story on the news ... I already suspected Apple purposely outdated their earlier phones with OS updates :apple:
People suspect all kinds of things all the time...it doesn't necessarily make those things real.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
People suspect all kinds of things all the time...it doesn't necessarily make those things real.

It is somewhat true. iPad 1 with 256MB RAM let me seriously think Apple purposely limiting iPad 1. Consider iOS 5 runs terribly on iPad 1. iPad Mini with non-retina and A5 chip also can be considered this way However, it still better than most OEMs out there. Sadly, Galaxy Nexus won't get Android 4.4...

----------

Nothing new, this same type of UI lag was scene when iOS6 came up for iPhone 3GS (it seriously lagged a lot).
But yes!! Once you upgrade your iPhone to 7.0.3 you will that this lag goes away upto huge extent but still after the use of 10 to 12 days you will see that again the heavy applications start crashing.
Few days back my iPhone4 was not even able to handle the Google Maps :eek: (which you know is a mus app for every smartphone).

Its time to change the iPhone, but still I will not prefer Android. iPhone is so niche.. :D :D :p

That's reminds me the iPad 1 on iOS 5.1... Serious lag... Lags on everything and apps crashed non-stop...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Goodbye Gavtheskav

ps, next time you shouldn't use a phone that's 3.5 years old.

Its messages like this that make mother nature and my wallet cry. What's wrong with a three and a half year old phone if it still does everything you need of it?

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Its messages like this that make mother nature and my wallet cry. What's wrong with a three and a half year old phone if it still does everything you need of it?

Nothing's wrong with it. Just don't expect it to run how you want on the latest software. Either upgrade, or don't complain .

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown

makes sense though ... what better way to get people to buy expensive phones every two years ... slow down the older ones with OS updates :apple:

postpc

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Germany
Having used ios 7 on my ipad and iphone 4, I have hated nearly every aspect of it for the past month. My iphone 4 has became unusable because it is not upto the job of running ios7 (it was perfect on 6!). Maybe I'm paranoid and think apple done this so to make us update to the the latest device? Either way it made me intqrigued to try android os. And to be fair. For what I want out of my devices it seems ok. Especially moving my music over to google music in the cloud, which is one of the main functions of my phone.

I share your sentiment Apple wrecked my 3G and my Ipad 1, and while I believe Android is better platform, technically speaking, I don't think its quite there yet. Apple IOS devices intergrate so damm well moving away from it is just painful. There's no way I'm going to make Android work with my car easily, so I'd need a separate satnav, and also I would have to use my ipod nano to listen to music in my car because my car stereo doesn't support Android, but then I need a laptop (to fill up the ipod) but I've already kind of moved on to the post pc era, so I'd have to buy a PC again which i don't want so long story short there's more to consider than just the pure OS. I like Android a lot but at this stage I have to sacrifice a lot to make it work, if at all.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
makes sense though ... what better way to get people to buy expensive phones every two years ... slow down the older ones with OS updates :apple:
Not everything that simply could be the case or seems to make sense means that it's actually reality without any actual proof.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
About a year ago I switched to Android and 2 months later I switched back

I raise you, sir. I lasted 13 months on a Samsung S3 after intentionally skipping iPhone 5 to try Android.

I was using my iPhone 5s for a day, and then I got a text message on my iMac and iPad in the evening. I had totally forgotten about iMessage. I made a backup in a matter of seconds. I synced all my OCD-style organised iLife content in minutes. It felt like home again.

Nexus 5, in fairness, is a damn sight better than any other Samsung/LG/<insert manufacturer> phone because it's completely free of bloatware. It's the only true alternative to an iPhone.

If you can live with Android's minor usability drawbacks, it's a great OS – as stock. It offers more, but it takes more from you. Don't get involved with Samsung or any other manufacturer, I offer that as very solemn advice.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Not everything that simply could be the case or seems to make sense means that it's actually reality without any actual proof.

sorry dude ... I cannot make sense of what you just posted ... however, a new OS that slows down previous phones ... makes sense :apple:

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Nexus 5, in fairness, is a damn sight better than any other Samsung/LG/<insert manufacturer> phone because it's completely free of bloatware.

Not true. It still contains lot of Google services (= bloatware) draining your battery. ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.