Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
You can complain all you want about iOS 7. But if you have an iPhone 4 and your phone is slower, you shouldn't be surprised.

Given the track record iOS has with slowing down older devices... I guess you shouldn't be.

But personally I don't think it should be asking too much to have new software work flawlessly on supported devices.

Vandefilm

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
Complaints on an online forum (which is naturally full of them) don't really paint a full picture of what it will be like for each individual. Certainly some good things to know but still won't give you a good picture of what it will be like for you for your device and your uses.

That and what typical user would have time to spend reading forums? Despite the fact that in a perfect world that would be the way to go, in real life that's simply not the reality.

I know. I personally like iOS7 very much. But if you're a winer and have time to post here junk like this, you also have time to read the forums and see that there are lots of winers complaining about iOS7. You know in front you can't go back to iOS6. So there are three things you can do.

1. Read the forums and decide what you want to do, don't complain afterwards.
2. Don't upgrade because you know you can't go back.
3. Grab an iPhone or iPad from a friend to try iOS7 out and decide what you want to do.

Personally I do 4. Just do whatever Apple tells you to because you knów you're going to like it :apple::cool:.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Given the track record iOS has with slowing down older devices... I guess you shouldn't be.

But personally I don't think it should be asking too much to have new software work flawlessly on supported devices.

Given the track record that majority of the Android devices won't even be able to run Android Kit Kat..... Even on 1 year old devices.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Given the track record that majority of the Android devices won't even be able to run Android Kit Kat..... Even on 1 year old devices.

Invalid argument since Google support their older software. Apple don't.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Invalid argument since Google support their older software. Apple don't.

When you say "support" what exactly are you referring to? Apple "supports" older versions of iOS as well. My point is what the majority of even new Android devices cannot even get 4.3 Jelly Bean on their device (at least not until months later). So when I was replying about Apple "slowing down" devices (as if they intend to, yes conspiracy theorists abound) my statement was at least you can get new versions of the software on most Apple products. How do you think Android 4.3 would run on a Galaxy 2? Wait we will never know, but I'm sure it would be a less than optimal experience.

BTW, I have both Apple and Android products, I'm brand agnostic.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013

Android Kit Kat is different story. First, it was designed to run lower end devices, so many of these old phone can run Android Kit Kat. Second, Google already put its core apps and Google Experience Launcher on Google Play Store, so wether you getting the newest OS, you can get the newest Google apps. Third. Android Kit Kat really doesn't bring anything major to the table. It is just a point release. So as long as you get the beast Google Apps from Play Store, you are all set. Last, you know you can always flash the ROM if you willing to

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
When you say "support" what exactly are you referring to? Apple "supports" older versions of iOS as well.

By support I mean continued updates and continued compatibility with new Apps. Neither of which Apple really provides for their operating systems once a new one is released. You know, what support has always meant when talking about software and operating systems.

Think of it this way. Apple releases iOS 7 for the iPhone 4 (argumentatively) slowing it down. Google don't release KitKat for the equivalent devices, but continue supporting (providing bugfixes and security updates) the previous OS, thus still having a nippy phone with up to date apps and OS fixes. Both ways have their positives and negatives. Apple may have trouble bringing new OSs to older hardware and slowing them down, whereas Google has the problem of fragmentation on its hands. But many people here make the mistake of thinking every other tech company ditches their older OS software once they release the new version just like Apple do. Many don't.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I know. I personally like iOS7 very much. But if you're a winer and have time to post here junk like this, you also have time to read the forums and see that there are lots of winers complaining about iOS7. You know in front you can't go back to iOS6. So there are three things you can do.

1. Read the forums and decide what you want to do, don't complain afterwards.
2. Don't upgrade because you know you can't go back.
3. Grab an iPhone or iPad from a friend to try iOS7 out and decide what you want to do.

Personally I do 4. Just do whatever Apple tells you to because you knów you're going to like it :apple::cool:.
But, again, thst doesn't apply to a typical iOS user (which represents the majority) who doesn't even know what MacRumors or any similar sites even exist, let alone would have time to spend on them or even really be able to find out what the experience would be like in their personal use when they upgrade.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Maybe... I just feel cheated by installing the awful ios7. I really liked the way my phone was.

Maybe I'll feel different next year but im definitely not upgrading to iphone 5 c/s because ios 7 made my phone awfull. I'd rather give android a go. Seems bit ok the last few days I've used it.

Makes me angry though because I loved the way it was

Actually I believe that with the FREE updates of iOS 7 and Mavericks are bringing Apple back to where they were before: providing long lasting user experience with your old Apple hardware.
Yes, it took them quite sometime to catch up with what should had been release some yeas ago, but it is finally available and for free.
Despite the upgrade from the iPhone 4 to 5 made a lot of sense back then.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Btw I'm not a troll. Just a fan that's angry the way ios7 made my ip4 crap

Yeah. Installed 7.0.3. Made it a bit better but the framrate overall is rubbish. Music app is hideous. Too much white. Oh and the phone app is way too slow

----------

Just wondering if any one felt the same way :rolleyes:

FWIW I too hate the blinding whiteness of everything. I only have iOS7 on my ipad. Glad I dont have to look at it on my phone. If apple just gave people a simple choice in how the OS looks, i would be tempted to consider giving them another shot, but when you can't even change your text background and text bubbles... really? Its like like our design concept or rot. There are no choices.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Don't let the door hit you on the way out... You will be back.

Goodbye! You'll be back in a year. You have been warned.

Apple provides the best user experience, and it does that best with its newest devices. Always been that way, always going to be that way.

Wow really nasty and unecessaery responses.

If you haven't got anything nice to say - don't say anything at all.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

So we know, for sure, that a majority of 1 year old devices won't be able to run Kit Kat? Or are we assuming? I know that the good people around the net have even gotten 4.4 running on the Galaxy Nexus, though buggy since it isn't designed to work with it at all, so .... there's that.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
A camera taking pictures as close to real life colours is really important to me. I cannot carry my Nikon around with me everywhere, and at times I have to take impromptu product shots. I appreciate that iPhone will automatically upload to my photo stream and can be viewed immediately from my office. It improves my productivity. With 5s, I think the camera pictures will show more true colours, which will help me even more...

I have a lot of confidential information stored on my iPhone, so security is vital for me. Remote wipe is important to me.. That is another strong reason for owning an iPhone.

Rest of the stuff that I use a lot - email, contacts, reminders, calendars, light web browsing, iMessage, FaceTime, Skype, etc... and oh yes I nearly forgot, I use it to make calls as we'll....:p

4s does all that I want, but the Camera on 5s I think will be better. Also the 5s screen size is bigger (although I would prefer a slightly bigger screen then 5s), so I am very tempted to change over to 5s..... Also my son has worked very hard last few weeks (since 5s launch was announced) to earn my old 4s, so that will push me as well towards 5s.

The 5s is launching in Dubai tomorrow and I will go and play with it to be absolutely sure... but I have a feeling that I will end up owning it....

Thanks to you and Max(IT) for your advise and thoughts. I appreciate it...

You're welcome! Glad I could be of help.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
why so much negativity from people? why does it bother so many people if someone gives Android a try? i simply don't get it.

you may like android, you may hate it and come back to ios or try windows phone. nothing wrong with any approach you take. though more people *tend* to stay with android after converting from iphone. (thread here - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1656177/)

Having used ios 7 on my ipad and iphone 4, I have hated nearly every aspect of it for the past month. My iphone 4 has became unusable because it is not upto the job of running ios7 (it was perfect on 6!). Maybe I'm paranoid and think apple done this so to make us update to the the latest device? Either way it made me intqrigued to try android os. And to be fair. For what I want out of my devices it seems ok. Especially moving my music over to google music in the cloud, which is one of the main functions of my phone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
iPhone 4S runs iOS 7 just as well as the iPhone 5. Had no problems with mine. I love my 4S and will keep it for a long time.

iOS 7 ran very well on my 4S. My wife was a fan. The 4S has been a real champ. It was my favorite iPhone.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Goodbye iPhone

I think the fact Apple have made iOS 7 available on a three year old device is admirable. My Android devices were left off the update list after 12 months! You'd usually get them eventually but it usually ground them to a halt. Ice cream sandwich killed my Incredible S. It was also the last update I had so the phone had an 18 month shelf life.

I also have to say I've seen iOS 7 first hand on the 4 and it seems different people have different experiences. My father in laws 4 is fine.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So much negativity from the apple fanatics. :rolleyes:

In fairness we've seen it from Android fans too but it's still doesn't stop it being any the less stupid and juvenile.

We wonder why the world is full of racism, zenophonbia, homophobia and plain hatred of anything different.. and yet here we see people can't even buy different phones or tablets without it eliciting hatred and nastiness. It's pathetic.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
You can complain all you want about iOS 7. But if you have an iPhone 4 and your phone is slower, you shouldn't be surprised.

Uh huh. Is that why Mavericks is faster on the same hardware than both of its predecessors? Because Apple's modus operandi is to pile on more bloatware and slow down system processes each revision? I seem to remember iOS7 was meant to be a back to basics exercise, paring down all the 'pointless' skeuomorphism and fancy graphics in favour of productivity. Wonder what happened to that.

why so much negativity from people? why does it bother so many people if someone gives Android a try? i simply don't get it.

Welcome to the Cult Of Apple where only True Believers are welcome and apostates are shunned like the worthless sinners they are.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
having used ios 7 on my ipad and iphone 4, i have hated nearly every aspect of it for the past month. My iphone 4 has became unusable because it is not upto the job of running ios7 (it was perfect on 6!). Maybe i'm paranoid and think apple done this so to make us update to the the latest device? Either way it made me intqrigued to try android os. And to be fair. For what i want out of my devices it seems ok. Especially moving my music over to google music in the cloud, which is one of the main functions of my phone.

goodbye!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Welcome to the Cult Of Apple where only True Believers are welcome and apostates are shunned like the worthless sinners they are.
The one thing as annoying as people who are pro Apple in everything are those who are biased against Apple and refer to it as a cult. It's exactly that type of fanboy mentality from both sides that makes threads like this unbearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.