Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Not a single time did you mention a Nexus device. "Fragmentation" is caused by stupid OEMs doing stupid things to Android and screwing up the user experience.

Quite true, but keep in mind that outside US wasn't so easy to get a Nexus until now.
I'd like to try a nexus 5, in the next future, but it's a little on the large side for my needs (4.7" is the sweet spot).

And no, I don't care about specifications. I don't game or do anything like that on my phones... I use them to call people, talk, text, email, and on the occasion, web browsing. It's the EXPERIENCE I love. Being able to set something other than the Google apps as default. Being able to arrange your OWN icons instead of having Apple tell you which ones you always need to have on your homescreen... it's the little touches and the attention to detail of a stock Android/Nexus experience device that make Android so appealing to me.

Actually is the contrary for me: little touches and attention to details I can find on Apple idevices , while in Android I found a mess ....

Samsung is by no means the best that Android can offer. It's hyped up and Samsung is ruining Android's reputation; they were (along with Motorola and HTC in the beginning) the ones who started the fragmentation in the first place.

You could be right, but for an European is more easy to find a Samsung or HTC smartphone. Fragmentation is not caused by Samsung alone: it's the android concept itself that is fragmented.
I can tell you of many examples, but whatever you want to do with an android device, is somewhat different from another, sometimes within the same company ! Just to add or remove a widget, an empty page or something like that could be different between devices supposed to have the same operative system (I'm speaking about the same Gingerbread version for example !!!).
That ruined my overall experience.
If you look at an HTC, a Samsung and a LG smartphones supposed to sports the same os, they seem to be different and you need to learn something at every switch.
My wife was able to use my iPhone 3GS and now is able to use my iPhone 5 (with iOS 7 !) without any effort. She refused to buy an HTC one mini after a try because she has difficulties.

If you want to see a true match for the iPhone, stop buying Samsung junk and pick up a Moto X or a Nexus 5. They're the only phones that are worthy of the Android name.

If I'd buy an android phone now, nexus 5 would be my choice ....
Fragmentation is a natural part of an open software ecosystem. If you don't like it, buy a device that comes with pure Google software on it. Don't like having to choose?

Stick with your locked-down iPhone.

By the way, Woz encourages jailbreaking and uses an Android phone.

Since when an open software ecosystem is a must have ?
The close ecosystem of Apple iOS is the best user experience by far in my opinion, and is quite secure.
I think Google Play is light years behind App Store from an user point of view.
As I said, I like android, but not as my primary choice.

kunai

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Quite true, but keep in mind that outside US wasn't so easy to get a Nexus until now.
I'd like to try a nexus 5, in the next future, but it's a little on the large side for my needs (4.7" is the sweet spot).

Actually is the contrary for me: little touches and attention to details I can find on Apple idevices , while in Android I found a mess ....

You could be right, but for an European is more easy to find a Samsung or HTC smartphone. Fragmentation is not caused by Samsung alone: it's the android concept itself that is fragmented.
I can tell you of many examples, but whatever you want to do with an android device, is somewhat different from another, sometimes within the same company ! Just to add or remove a widget, an empty page or something like that could be different between devices supposed to have the same operative system (I'm speaking about the same Gingerbread version for example !!!).
That ruined my overall experience.
If you look at an HTC, a Samsung and a LG smartphones supposed to sports the same os, they seem to be different and you need to learn something at every switch.
My wife was able to use my iPhone 3GS and now is able to use my iPhone 5 (with iOS 7 !) without any effort. She refused to buy an HTC one mini after a try because she has difficulties.

If I'd buy an android phone now, nexus 5 would be my choice ....

Since when an open software ecosystem is a must have ?
The close ecosystem of Apple iOS is the best user experience by far in my opinion, and is quite secure.
I think Google Play is light years behind App Store from an user point of view.
As I said, I like android, but not as my primary choice.

As far as finding Android a mess, it's again because you didn't buy a Nexus. ;)

Obviously everyone has preferences. I traded my 5 in for a Nexus 5. Can't wait to get it. I feel happy with my decision, and some people value convenience over freedom. I'm fine with that.

But I don't like people speaking untruths about ANY platform. Yes, it's true that the Play Store has nowhere near the quality of the iTunes App Store in terms of apps. Yes, Android is less secure because it's an open market... but just keeping an eye on what software you download and making sure it's good quality is a small price to pay to be able to do so much more with a device than with an iOS device.

It's preferences. All preferences. :cool:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
iCloud Tabs, Read Later, Notes and Reminders where all there in iOS6.

iOS7 doesn't provide that much more value to a Mac user apart from AirDrop and Maps. Outside the US, Maps still isn't that good, especially for pedestrians, so I've gotten used to the Google Maps app and the website which offer same (if note better) features - the Google Maps app is compatible with iOS6.

I don't find Google Maps any better than Apple Maps.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Great to hear and meet someone who is, not either a blind follower of apple nor a blind basher.. Your words have more value then all the threads put together here on MR, just from the sheer experience you have of using many different OS's and hardware too.. Well done to you sir....

I am on iPhone 4s. My youngest son is waiting for me to upgrade so he can have my 4s..

Although I have in my signature that I am waiting for 5s, I am not convinced that 'a leap in terms of usage and experience on 5s is sufficiently great enough for me to spend money', just as you say....

I am still sitting on the fence, but sound of owning a iPhone 6, which I hope will be radically different from a 4s that I currently own, sounds very very tempting....

Thanks for your advise Max(IT) and have a good day...

PS: By the way I just flew back from San Remo/Imperia so if you stay anywhere near that, I must say I had a cracking good weather last week... nice beaches too...

Coming from a 4s believe me that 5s is a good upgrade ...

In iPhone 6 I hope for a slightly bigger screen (no more than 4.7" I wish) and maybe a form factor similar to the iPad Air and Mini.
But who knows ???
We don't even know when it will be released ...

I agree, I went from a 4S to 5S and it was a great upgrade - BUT - it really depends on how you use your phone and what you use it for.

The Camera upgrade is very noticeable coming from a 4S, the touch sensor makes entering passcodes feel archaic, the form factor and weight feels even better in the hand, the responsiveness sis fantastic, apps launch and load faster, etc.

Then again, the 4S is a great device. If it's working well, and your happy with it, hold out. It's still a fine piece of hardware.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
From a wise point of view the right thing to do is to skip one release, going from 3GS to 4s to 5s and so on (the -s iteration usually is the best) ...

But I'm not a wise customer and I bought every iPhone 's iteration so far.
Will I be able to skip 5s ? Hard to say ....
The point is I like 5c more than 5s, but I cannot jump from 5 to 5c because it basically is the same phone !

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
From a wise point of view the right thing to do is to skip one release, going from 3GS to 4s to 5s and so on (the -s iteration usually is the best) ...

But I'm not a wise customer and I bought every iPhone 's iteration so far.
Will I be able to skip 5s ? Hard to say ....
The point is I like 5c more than 5s, but I cannot jump from 5 to 5c because it basically is the same phone !

Exactly what I did until now. I did go on the AT&T Next program with the 5S so for the first time I will get the 6. Not sure if it's a smart move or not but it sounded good and I'll try it for a couple phones.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As far as finding Android a mess, it's again because you didn't buy a Nexus. ;)

Obviously everyone has preferences. I traded my 5 in for a Nexus 5. Can't wait to get it. I feel happy with my decision, and some people value convenience over freedom. I'm fine with that.

But I don't like people speaking untruths about ANY platform. Yes, it's true that the Play Store has nowhere near the quality of the iTunes App Store in terms of apps. Yes, Android is less secure because it's an open market... but just keeping an eye on what software you download and making sure it's good quality is a small price to pay to be able to do so much more with a device than with an iOS device.

It's preferences. All preferences. :cool:
You don't really know yet what the Nexus 5 will be like for you as far as actual typical usage...kind of hard to be happy with a decision without experiencing the effects of that decision first.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
You don't really know yet what the Nexus 5 will be like for you as far as actual typical usage...kind of hard to be happy with a decision without experiencing the effects of that decision first.

Shhhh my friend... Don't break the trolls' bubble... That's their life... It's uncouth you know...

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Btw I'm not a troll. Just a fan that's angry the way ios7 made my ip4 crap

Yeah. Installed 7.0.3. Made it a bit better but the framrate overall is rubbish. Music app is hideous. Too much white. Oh and the phone app is way too slow

----------

Just wondering if any one felt the same way :rolleyes:

The music app is terrible. I use leechtunes to run my music. It's a nice simple interface that also utilizes swipe motions to switch tracks.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Btw I'm not a troll. Just a fan that's angry the way ios7 made my ip4 crap

Yeah. Installed 7.0.3. Made it a bit better but the framrate overall is rubbish. Music app is hideous. Too much white. Oh and the phone app is way too slow

----------

Just wondering if any one felt the same way :rolleyes:

The music app is terrible. I use leechtunes to run my music. It's a nice simple interface that also utilizes swipe motions to switch tracks.

Jacooch

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2011
Goodbye! You'll be back in a year. You have been warned.

Apple provides the best user experience, and it does that best with its newest devices. Always been that way, always going to be that way.

Funny you should mention. Been with iOS since 3G had 4s and I do not care for iOS 7. Went to a samsung s4. Needless to say, after a week I went back. Thanks verizon for taking care of this new customer (dumped AT&T after it seems like decades). Android was ok but so reliant on google. I think at the end if the day I trust apple with my data better then apple. I liked the s4 but it didn't offer as much as apple.

The only thing I miss is a wifi analyzer I found with the android machine. Other than that the feel and function of the 5c is much more to my liking.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
just saw a news report that Apple does this on purpose ... the upgrade of the OS is nothing earth shattering ... the main purpose is, they want you to buy a new phone to replace your perfectly working iPhone 4 :apple:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
just saw a news report that Apple does this on purpose ... the upgrade of the OS is nothing earth shattering ... the main purpose is, they want you to buy a new phone to replace your perfectly working iPhone 4 :apple:
So there's some supporting information for that kind of speculation?

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I agree, I went from a 4S to 5S and it was a great upgrade - BUT - it really depends on how you use your phone and what you use it for.

The Camera upgrade is very noticeable coming from a 4S, the touch sensor makes entering passcodes feel archaic, the form factor and weight feels even better in the hand, the responsiveness sis fantastic, apps launch and load faster, etc.

Then again, the 4S is a great device. If it's working well, and your happy with it, hold out. It's still a fine piece of hardware.

A camera taking pictures as close to real life colours is really important to me. I cannot carry my Nikon around with me everywhere, and at times I have to take impromptu product shots. I appreciate that iPhone will automatically upload to my photo stream and can be viewed immediately from my office. It improves my productivity. With 5s, I think the camera pictures will show more true colours, which will help me even more...

I have a lot of confidential information stored on my iPhone, so security is vital for me. Remote wipe is important to me.. That is another strong reason for owning an iPhone.

Rest of the stuff that I use a lot - email, contacts, reminders, calendars, light web browsing, iMessage, FaceTime, Skype, etc... and oh yes I nearly forgot, I use it to make calls as we'll....:p

4s does all that I want, but the Camera on 5s I think will be better. Also the 5s screen size is bigger (although I would prefer a slightly bigger screen then 5s), so I am very tempted to change over to 5s..... Also my son has worked very hard last few weeks (since 5s launch was announced) to earn my old 4s, so that will push me as well towards 5s.

The 5s is launching in Dubai tomorrow and I will go and play with it to be absolutely sure... but I have a feeling that I will end up owning it....

Thanks to you and Max(IT) for your advise and thoughts. I appreciate it...

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Let me get this straight. You upgraded your iPhone 4, a device released in 2010, to iOS 7 , an OS that was released at the end of 2013 and expected iOS 7 to run like it does on an iPhone 5/5s?

Ya... Good luck with that. Install jelly bean on the OG Droid or the Droid X (2010) and let me know how it runs compared to the nexus 5. Also Jellybean was released in 2012, you'd have to actually install the latest kitkat for a fair comparison.

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Having used ios 7 on my ipad and iphone 4, I have hated nearly every aspect of it for the past month. My iphone 4 has became unusable because it is not upto the job of running ios7 (it was perfect on 6!). Maybe I'm paranoid and think apple done this so to make us update to the the latest device? Either way it made me intqrigued to try android os. And to be fair. For what I want out of my devices it seems ok. Especially moving my music over to google music in the cloud, which is one of the main functions of my phone.

Well i feel for you, i invested in blackberry now i own a Z10 and i gotta say its perfect, i still have my iPhone 4 tho and using them both. I do agree however that the 4 is old and the hardware is also old but at least it can run iOS 7.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
A camera taking pictures as close to real life colours is really important to me. I cannot carry my Nikon around with me everywhere, and at times I have to take impromptu product shots. I appreciate that iPhone will automatically upload to my photo stream and can be viewed immediately from my office. It improves my productivity. With 5s, I think the camera pictures will show more true colours, which will help me even more...

I have a lot of confidential information stored on my iPhone, so security is vital for me. Remote wipe is important to me.. That is another strong reason for owning an iPhone.

Rest of the stuff that I use a lot - email, contacts, reminders, calendars, light web browsing, iMessage, FaceTime, Skype, etc... and oh yes I nearly forgot, I use it to make calls as we'll....:p

4s does all that I want, but the Camera on 5s I think will be better. Also the 5s screen size is bigger (although I would prefer a slightly bigger screen then 5s), so I am very tempted to change over to 5s..... Also my son has worked very hard last few weeks (since 5s launch was announced) to earn my old 4s, so that will push me as well towards 5s.

The 5s is launching in Dubai tomorrow and I will go and play with it to be absolutely sure... but I have a feeling that I will end up owning it....

Thanks to you and Max(IT) for your advise and thoughts. I appreciate it...

Security is important to you ? Another point toward iPhone 5s ;)
Touch ID is a secure and quite fast way to lock/unlock your phone.

iMacUnsure

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2013
Southern US
Well after reading all this I do not see what the problem is. I just bought an iphone4s yesterday, upgraded it to iOS7 and the thing runs like a champ! iPhone4 is outdated, matter fact my carrier does not even carry the iphone4.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013

The music app is ok just bit slow changing tracks but that was present in iOS 6 too to a degree.

Leechtunes for in the car all the way. Phone on dash swipe left for next track and up for volume and all good. Not bad on the battery either. Better than regular music app I think

----------

Let me get this straight. You upgraded your iPhone 4, a device released in 2010, to iOS 7 , an OS that was released at the end of 2013 and expected iOS 7 to run like it does on an iPhone 5/5s?

Ya... Good luck with that. Install jelly bean on the OG Droid or the Droid X (2010) and let me know how it runs compared to the nexus 5. Also Jellybean was released in 2012, you'd have to actually install the latest kitkat for a fair comparison.

Been running iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 since beta and its really fast for general use with atleast 2x better battery performance I can actually use it at work now without worrying about charging.

Only things a little slow is music player to change tracks, Facebook to load and actual startup time from the phone being off.

None o which though I exclusively blame on iOS 7.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Well after reading all this I do not see what the problem is. I just bought an iphone4s yesterday, upgraded it to iOS7 and the thing runs like a champ! iPhone4 is outdated, matter fact my carrier does not even carry the iphone4.

Side note: did you buy a new iPhone 4S yesterday ?

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
The bottom line is that people with an iPhone 4 should have stuck with iOS 5.
People with an iPhone 4S should have stuck with iOS 6.

Those with an iPhone 5 who value their battery life should also have stuck with iOS 6.

Apple should make it clear the effects a newer o/s will have on older devices because it can render them positively awful to use. I for one have learned my lesson and will never update iOS to a new number, I will only install incremental updates but never go from 7 to 8 for example. I will save the big leaps for a new handset because I've been burned.

iPhone 4S runs iOS 7 just as well as the iPhone 5. Had no problems with mine. I love my 4S and will keep it for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.