Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Yeah. Yet, ironically, all the others (amazon, google, Microsoft) release their services for iOS, where the others may have some of the completion, none of them have iBooks, iTunes, etc. flexible and, open.

Doesn't work iTunes on OS X and Windows?

iBooks? What's that?

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
lol what's apple doing... They tweak the designs (for the better) of already existing products and sell it super high to morons (like us who can't stop craving apple products ;) )

Apple is big because they sell stuff super expensive and people actually buy it. Essentially we are paying $1000 bucks for an operating system, and the design is a bonus, but that's about it...

Now I know people are going to raging on me, so just to be clear: It's my two cents :D

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Where are you getting the $1000 for an OS? I paid $29.99 for Lion... Since when is the hardware free?

A friend of mine put it perfectly a few years ago.
If you were shopping for a refrigerator and their were two to chose from;

#1, cheaper, but were told you had to spend X amount of money a year to maintain it and will most likely be out dated within the month(PC).

or

#2, pay more, built with quality and last longer - owes you no money when you upgrade next(Mac)

Which would you buy? You would buy #2. Apple builds high quality computers and products. I am more than happy to pay a 'premium' for a Mercedes-like computer over a cheap Toyota. Either buy a Mac or buy a PC. Up to you. But IMO, I'll pay the extra for something I can rely on.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Chrome is the fastest browser on my iMac and Macbook, nothing is even close.
I hope the same holds true for iOS.

It won't be as

1, it's based on WebKit

2, AppStore apps, "thanks" to Apple, are not allowed to use private API's to provide as stuttering-less scrolling and as good JavaScript as Safari.

All in all, it'll be slower than Safari for both scrolling and JavaScript.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
As far as where you purchase your consumable content? Apple is the most flexible and, open.

What the what?

Maybe I am misinterpreting - but one can't read an iBook on anything other than an iOS enabled device. If one rents a movie on iTunes - they can't watch it on their kindle fire. And so on.

If by flexible and open you mean that they are fortunate to have other companies develop apps to allow their content on Apple's devices... then sure..

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
What the what?

Maybe I am misinterpreting - but one can't read an iBook on anything other than an iOS enabled device. If one rents a movie on iTunes - they can't watch it on their kindle fire. And so on.

If by flexible and open you mean that they are fortunate to have other companies develop apps to allow their content on Apple's devices... then sure..

Not entirely true. Thereis an app that lets you read your books outside of ibooks. Also there is an app that will let you watch itunes movies outside of itunes/quicktime. Obviously this won't work for rentals though. It is called reqiuem. And yes, it is legal if used properly.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
The biggest hurdle that Chrome features, of course, is that it cannot be set to be the default browser on iOS devices, a capability that Apple also reserves for Safari. So, while you can use the browser to your heart's content, it will not be the default handler for any URLs clicked. That's a huge hurdle to overcome.

Hurdle? How about brick wall? I can't think of a way Google can overcome that.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
just downloaded the browser, it is very nice! Nice to be able to select my other browser tabs and the ui is solid to me.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
What the what?

Yes, that is what I mean. Granted, it is Apple not allowing others to have it's video and book drm capability, but as far as a 'from the consumer' POV, I can truly shop for the best price.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've actually now done two things this week that I never did before. That is move the native Mail app and Safari off the Dock of iOS and replace them with Gmail and Chrome. Whoa! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.