Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
You know when your out shopping and see someone walking around with one of those Bluetooth things hanging out of their ear and you laugh and think "you look a right knob!"...I'm just guessing that there will be a similar correlation here.

Would be good for perving though then getting home and editing all your movies and photos....actually thinking about it can my friend pre-order these yet?

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
I'll be very interested in using this when it comes out as a contact lens.

When could the technology be ready for that? 2020 / 2025?

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
You must either be a teen or pre-teen who never used the original iPhone (or just ignorant of how technology progresses), because some of your points above applied to iPhone 1. It performed basic mobile functions (albeit via a great user interface) but had very poor call quality. It didn't have any downloadable apps and a horrible camera to boot. Poor battery life was included...oh, and it was also outrageously expensive.

You also apparently don't have much imagination either for how technology like this could be applied. Keep reading this thread and maybe you'll be enlightened to the fact that this actually does have quite a bit of real world usage (and do you also realize that military applications of data being delivered via a monocle or HUD already exist)?

Anyway... feel free to remain encumbered by the RDF that you choose to keep yourself in :)

I don't see any problem with their line of reasoning. I think you are being dumb in your reasoning. The first iPhone was sold very quickly to early adopters. Apple, having pretty much no experience in the cell phone world, has been learning as they go, plus they had to rely on other chips makers in making cell phone chips. But they constantly improve up their design, year after year. Sure, they don't progress as fast in certain areas, but let's look at the Nexus 4 and SIII, those both have terrible cameras, terrible battery life, buggy OS. the iPhone 5 is a vast improvement over the very first iPhone and I'm sure Apple is working on potentially several sized versions for this year's models. I think they will come out with larger screen models as demand for iPhones increases, they have to see what kind of demand there is for various screen sizes. Since the 4.5in and larger screen sizes are gaining ground, Apple can justify putting out a larger screen size, but a year ago the larger screen phones weren't selling well. The 3 III was the first large screen size phone that sold well. The S2 didn't sell that well and neither did the first S model.

The cell phone industry has gone through changes largely due to the different technology in networks that are being deployed, it's a nightmare to keep on top of it, and everyone is relying on only a couple of chip mfg for decent voice/data chip sets.

Now with these Google Glass, there are going to piss off a lot of people because people, on average, do NOT want someone with a video camera facing them while they are in a discussion. I certainly don't. I don't want some a##wipe immature brat with a set of these things video taping and posting on YouTube videos of me.

I think Google is going to be in for a little shock when they find out that they will be banned in a lot of places. There are privacy attorneys that are trying to figure out a way to prevent these things from being used.

ULEE

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
So, how will Google glass effect the privacy of others? It`s not like seeing someone taking your picture with a camera or phone. It will be like you could always be recorded and watched at any point when there are people around with Google glass. Kind of scary.

Welcome to the 21st century.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
You know when your out shopping and see someone walking around with one of those Bluetooth things hanging out of their ear and you laugh and think "you look a right knob!"...I'm just guessing that there will be a similar correlation here.

Except here, that knob is recording you and violating your privacy.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
no apps and no cellular, no go. otherwise it could become something more than a geek toy

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Except here, that knob is recording you and violating your privacy.

as opposed to every other tech that can do the same?

They make cameras that fit in pens. In shoes. In lapel pins. If someone is going to record you - they're going to do it. Google glasses or not.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I want one SO BAD... but, these things look awfully easy to steal. I don't think I'd ever wear it out on the street.

In the office, I'd look like a tool wearing it all the time.

And also at home, why would I ever wear it at home, or out on a date.

So the problem is I'm having a hard time figuring out when I actually would be wearing it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I want one SO BAD... but, these things look awfully easy to steal. I don't think I'd ever wear it out on the street.

In the office, I'd look like a tool wearing it all the time.

And also at home, why would I ever wear it at home, or out on a date.

So the problem is I'm having a hard time figuring out when I actually would be wearing it.

I don't know why people are saying they will look like a tool/others will look silly wearing these.

The final design hasn't been made yet. These are prototypes/developer glasses. The final product could look entirely different

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Or maybe they are...

Think whatever you want, at least google is innovating at the moment. Can't say the same about Apple.

How do you know Apple isn't innovating? They just don't release it to only their favorite people for a year before letting the public in. They announce and release within weeks.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
It seems to me like google is just throwing everything they can think of against the wall and waiting to see what sticks. Let's look at this objectively:

• It performs basic mobile functions and nothing else
  • You have to talk to it to make it work, which will be very annoying in public
  • You have to wear a very unflattering pair of glasses
  • It is outrageously expensive

What, exactly, is the appeal of this device? Who is it for? Skydivers who don't want to buy one of those go cameras?

I can understand how this device wouldn't appeal to some, but I can't see how it isn't obvious that this the beginning of terminator style augmented reality that will be huge in the future. I'm sure eventually it will be able to read your thoughts and be a contact lens so there's no awkward input or goofy glasses to wear on your face.

I could care less how I look to others, I only care about how the world looks to me. I want to see magnetic fields, hear gamma rays. our 5 senses only give us a tiny glimpse of the world, it doesn't have to be that way.

I never use facetime, but I would video chat with these all the time, more of a body swap experience than face to face conversation. Please one up these apple!!!!!:apple::D

Unemployed Hobo

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
I've actually used these late last year (acquaintance works for Google and was beta-testing these) and let me tell you, these are nothing to write home about. They had a poor interface, a beyond sub-standard picture/view and all around chore to deal with.

A pair of Sony Glasstrons from the mid 90s were far more enjoyment for the evening.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I've actually used these late last year (acquaintance actually works for Google and was beta-testing these) and let me tell you, these are nothing to write home about. They had a poor interface, a beyond sub-standard picture/view and all around chore to deal with.

A pair of Sony Glasstrons from the mid 90s were far more enjoyment for the evening.

If we are to believe you - which we have no reason to specifically. But I'll go with it. What you saw/experienced could be radically different than what it does now. How the interface is now. What the released product will be. And how this will continue to mature.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I don't know why people are saying they will look like a tool/others will look silly wearing these.

The final design hasn't been made yet. These are prototypes/developer glasses. The final product could look entirely different

Could be, but my main concern is that they basically say STEAL ME! regardless of what they look like.

People get their phones stolen when they're walking down the street talking on them. So, to avoid that, you keep it in your pocket so thieves don't even know you have it.

People with white earbuds have been getting mugged a lot too, because white earbuds = Apple usually, and those devices are high in demand. So you shouldn't walk around in public with highly visible white earbuds.

The Google Glass just sits there on your head. Right there where everybody can see it, especially the people that want to take it so they can sell it for big bucks on craigslist.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Totally agree.
Except it would be really cool if they could figure out a way to reverse the camera so the other party could see your face. But in instances of "Hey [Insert name here] check out my new apartment!" It's pretty sweet.
Yeah.

Quite often I use FaceTime when I want to show something to someone else. And I happen to be doing something at the time. So having to hold an iOS device 1 hand is pretty awkward, handsfree would be better.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
These need to be invisible, i.e. look like regular glasses, before anyone except über-nerds will ever consider them. And even then you need to be a rather nerd-like person to want to have a screen before your very eyes 24/7 (to pitch this as a *solution* for the distraction smartphones etc. cause like Google and Topolsky, who is at this point on the verge of becoming a hardcore Google apologist, are trying to is extremely ridiculous, btw; the real easy solution to this is the silent switch of your smartphone and a little something called priorities). Also the Google connection is super-creepy because we all know they do not respect privacy at all and will gather more data about you than you could ever imagine. Thanks, but no thanks.

Unemployed Hobo

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
If we are to believe you - which we have no reason to specifically. But I'll go with it. What you saw/experienced could be radically different than what it does now. How the interface is now. What the released product will be. And how this will continue to mature.

I just joined this site to specifically respond to this thread. I've been lurking here, amongst other apple fan sites for years, but never felt the need to register.

Agreed, I'm sure the pair I was using was not a final/production piece, but it just didn't *work*. The set I used were a dark gray and you controlled the device with your finger as well by sliding & tapping the module on the right 'arm' of the glasses.

I realize these may mature into something different/better, but it's nothing to get excited over if released in the state that I experienced. The display is super small and I had to squint to read/see the screen clearly (I have near-perfect vision and do not wear glasses/contact). The text was very dim/translucent; similar to what the attached video previewed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.