Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I think it will be much harder to steal this than to steal my wallet. It will literally never leave your sight.

All it takes is someone to run up from behind and snatch them off your face. But I'm probably just paranoid.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
I see people buying these and then wearing normal glasses later on, forgetting that they're normal glasses and then yelling "GOOGLE!!!!! TAKE A ********** PICTURE NOW!" in the middle of a crowded street. Now that would be something hilarious and awesome to post on youtube after it happens.

Google's response "I don't know how to make a pitcher duck."

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Think whatever you want, at least google is innovating at the moment. Can't say the same about Apple.

Innovation is only innovation when it actually makes in impact on society for the better. This idea was around decades ago. There were college students at MIT, etc. that had portable computers with eye glasses. All these things are going to do is cause problems. What kinds of problems? If you buy these things, expect to get them stolen from you or your a$$ kicked. Most people don't want to have some loser with a video camera facing them while they talk to someone. How do you get the user to take them off? If you ask nicely and they don't remove them, people might resort to just taking them off for them causing fist fights.

Apple not innovating? Fusion drives is an innovation that is USEFUL. The hybrid hard drives isn't the same thing, Fusion drives are VERY useful and that's a cool innovation.

What else has Apple done in the innovation department? Well, the iPhone and iPad are the most copied products, so those as they are are innovative.

I think that you get sucked into some Google marketing BS.

People coming out with major technology shifts doesn't happen every day, Innovations that actually make an impact on society don't come around and Apple's made HUGE impacts on the way people use computers in different industries over the years. People are used to them innovating, but right now they are evolving their innovations. I'm sure we'll see some more impactful innovations, because the innovations have to "stick" and provide a shift in how people work and live. Google hasn't really done much in the innovation area other than copy Apple.

These Glass devices is a STUPID innovation that's just gonna get the user's a## kicked and laughed at.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
All it takes is someone to run up from behind and snatch them off your face. But I'm probably just paranoid.

Or they can just simply beat the user up and easily take them. These things are probably going to cause a LOT of fist fights. Because people just aren't going to want some LOSER video taping them without permission.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm sure it is in NYC with all the business types there, but even then it's not the majority of people using them. I live in Portland - bluetooth headsets are a relatively rare-sighting.

Google Glass not only has to overcome the social acceptance barrier with regards to style/fashion, it also has to overcome the creepiness factor. It would be hard to talk to someone wearing it knowing that they might be recording you and you wouldn't know.

Then factor in the price tag. I really have a hard time seeing this take off. Yes, there will be a few impulsive geeks who get it. Maybe extreme sports people who use it in place of a GoPro. But it's never going to be a ubiquitous product the way smartphones are. My opinion only.

Actually - bluetooth headsets are used by a wide margin. I'm sure your mileage varies. Which just goes to prove that no one opinion is more valid then the next when it comes to adoption.

And with all the cameras, video devices, etc in buildings, on phones, etc - at least here in NYC - I don't actively concern myself with who might be recording me. But I guess that's one of the "downsides" of living in the city ;)

I don't think adoption will be quick nor widespread. But this is just he beginning. 5/10/15 years from now it's very possible that it will be ubiquitous.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Wow, innovation, maybe Apple should try it.

I hope Apple doesn't make their own version of these. I won't buy them if they did. I think it's a stupid toy with not much "USEFULNESS" other than some geek toy.

There is no "business or personal NEED" for these. Without the NEED for something, they fall into the category of a childish toy.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
I will not take kindly to some jackass looking at me while they're wearing these.

Don't like a free world there tough guy? Maybe you would be better suited to just staying inside and not venturing out where the mean people in public can record you.

Satellites are watching you, street cams are watching you, security cameras are watching you, film and photo enthusiast are capturing your image, google maps has your house posted in all its first person glory.

BUT, you're all bent out of shape over the guy with the camera goggles. :rolleyes:

So tell us, what are you going to do when someone looks at you with these glasses? Hurt them?

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I love that Google is making something like this a reality. It is one of those things we've seen in sci-fi and now there's an actual product people can buy. I don't expect them to get this right immediately. I'm not a fan of voice as primary input because it's so unreliable. But if there are other ways to interface with this that would be great. Like for example a wristwatch-style device with physical buttons, or a chording keyboard you can grip. Or maybe a Kinect-style gesture based thing. This is just the beginning...

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Will probably go the same direction as Google Wave and the Chromebook...

People look dumb enough going around talking to their bluetooth headsets by themselves. Talking to your glasses and saying "Google glass" ever 20 seconds will be so annoying - especially by the ones that are trying to show off they have one.

What's a Google Wave? Never heard of that one?

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
If Apple were doing this people like you will be saying how Apple's ripping off Star Trek. Apple made absolutely nothing inside the glasses. The chips are from company xyz, the glass are from company abc, and assembled by foxconn. All Apple does is marketing.

I do not think I have seen anyone say anything like this unless it is in response to someone claiming Apple did something first when there were other techs before them. No one **** up the iWatch threads saying Apple ripped it from Dick Tracy now did they?

Everyone claiming $1500 "cannot get into" reading and needs to go back and look at the article linked at the bottom. That was the price for the developer prototype and was never stated to be the final price.

Mannchild

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2011
This is one of those things that sounds awesome but probably wont work. The reason they dont work is because most people dont want to walk around with odd looking glasses on their head all the time.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Don't Understand

Maybe its just me but I really don't understand the point of this? Who wants a computer glued to their eyeballs all the time?

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Really, you're gonna wear those glasses while performing ballet?

has potential, but half the stuff shown in that video would not be practical in real life :rolleyes:

The only thing these really are is a higher tech version of those video goggles people use to record videos they post on YouTube, but you can get simple video goggles for a couple of hundred bucks if you want to record videos.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The only thing these really are is a higher tech version of those video goggles people use to record videos they post on YouTube, but you can get simple video goggles for a couple of hundred bucks if you want to record videos.

Actually - with just the search function - These would be great if you're in a foreign country and want to go sightseeing.

That's just one cool application.

Optheduim

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
NYC
I want that so bad! and i want it a heck of a lot more than that ridiculous computer they just made... too expensive though lol

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

I think your vision (pardon the pun) for what these could be is pretty short-sighted (oops I did it again.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.