Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
If we look at the leaked images from about a month ago showing an apple notebook case with a large area at the back missing for the battery and line this up with the screw holes near the front of the keyboard, they fit perfectly. Suggests that the battery will be at the back.

Yeah, I posted this photo earlier, on which I indicated where the larger part of the bottom case will reach.

(click to enlarge photo)

TopCaseWithBottom.jpg

dm10003

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
let's hope steve is also not half the previous thickness

I think the laptops are going to be tapered when they add the metal plate at the bottom. Just like the Macbook Air, the vertical edge around the whole computer is uniform but the metal plate that makes the bottom of the computer is what gives it its tapered shape. The similar is going to happen to the Macbook Pros and Macbooks by adding a plate either metal or plastic, although they are going to be less tapered. The Pro might get a metal baseplate, while the regular Macbook might get a polycarbonate bottom shell for better wireless reception.

Apple won't make their computers like a rectangle again. Just look at the iMac, iPhone, iPod touch, and Air and you can see they are moving towards a new design direction for this generation's computers.

+1
but i doubt the laptops will have an iphone-style rounded bottom!!!

steamed.hams

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Miami, FL
So unlikely, given the multiple photos and sources etc, that I didn't even bother including that possibility :)

It's a VERY clever, time consuming and possibly very expensive hoax if so!

It's neither clever, time consuming nor expensive to take a shell of a prototype and post pictures of it.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Roughly 24 hours to go... I don't see how I can afford a new computer right now but I'd still like to see how this turns out. Maybe in early 2009, on the anniversary of my Penryn...

I'd really like to see Apple offer a smaller lighter cheaper machine more like the form factor of the Asus EEE than the Macbook Air but I doubt that's gonna happen tomorrow.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Dumb question, Will the Apple logo still light up? From the above pictures ( on this page ) it seems like it won't and if I remember correctly there was a lot of speculation about this, even though the media event shows it lit up.

please be nice I just wanted to know ... ( will be my first Mac )

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
If we look at the leaked images from about a month ago showing an apple notebook case with a large area at the back missing for the battery and line this up with the screw holes near the front of the keyboard, they fit perfectly. Suggests that the battery will be at the back.

Yeah, I posted this photo earlier, on which I indicated where the larger part of the bottom case will reach.

(click to enlarge photo)

TopCaseWithBottom.jpg

The photo which was posted with the speculation about the ridge was of MacBook's case... but you have a good point. I suppose it's pointless to make guesses based on current design.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Dumb question, Will the Apple logo still light up? From the above pictures ( on this page ) it seems like it won't and if I remember correctly there was a lot of speculation about this, even though the media event shows it lit up.

of course it'll light up, don't be silly.

pkiula

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Well all this is well and good, but:

• Hope they don't change the keyboard to the kind that's on MB
  • The thinness of the new MBP, if true, should not affect its heating
  • More ports needed, thank you (but this seems to be addressed)
  • Above all, the price point now should really be around $2,500 max (parts are not THAT expensive these days, even the best materials)

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Dumb question, Will the Apple logo still light up?
Most probably.
It's somewhat a trademark of Apple's.
More than aluminum or other design features.

The invitation shows them backlight (ok, maybe cause they won't giva anything away before the even). And if you look at the pics above, there are holes in the case, where the plastic translucent Apple goes. I think they are for some kind of illumination.

I'm not sure about this... but weren't the Apples in the displays backlit by the display backlight? Now, I really don't know how these things work(ed) in notebook displays, but do LED backlight emit light on their "backside" (where the Apple would go)? So maybe Apple has to include some extra lighting for the white Apple anyway? In that case the wouldn't need to make big hole in the metal frame.

juststranded

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2006

Yeah, it'll light up. As long as the display has a backlight (which I can't see any display in the future NOT having one) the Apple will light up. There's not a seperate LED to light the logo. They kill two birds with one stone and just have the disply LED light the logo. If you turn the brightness on your screen up or down, the logo changes too.

Masklinn

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
Hope they don't change the keyboard to the kind that's on MB
First hope dashed, it's pretty much certain that MBPs will get chicklet, as everybody else (which is = awesome)
More ports needed, thank you (but this seems to be addressed)
If the 15" enclosure talked about in this thread is real, then the MBP loses the FW-400 port.
Above all, the price point now should really be around $2,500 max (parts are not THAT expensive these days, even the best materials)
I strongly doubt the pricepoints of MBP will move much.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
  • Hope they don't change the keyboard to the kind that's on MB
They are going to change keyboard to the kind that's on EVERY OTHER Apple keyboard nowadays.

Some prefer these chiclet keys, some don't. But there should be no doubt that we will see somewhat akin to the MacBook keyboard. Of course these keys will be backlit on the MBP. So expect something like the Air's keyboard...

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
There's not a seperate LED to light the logo. They kill two birds with one stone and just have the disply LED light the logo.
So the light gets somewhat "diffused" in the white plastic matter... if I understand this correctly? Cause if you look at the pics above, there are only relatively small holes through the metal...

pkiula

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
They are going to change keyboard to the kind that's on EVERY OTHER Apple keyboard nowadays.

Some prefer these chiclet keys, some don't. But there should be no doubt that we will see somewhat akin to the MacBook keyboard. Of course these keys will be backlit on the MBP. So expect something like the Air's keyboard...

Shucks then. Anyway, why do people prefer chicklet? My fingers are so used to seamlessly moving between the keys on the current MBP. With chicklet (or current MB) the keys keep hitting the side of the keys! :(

Baadshah

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
Copenhagen
same question here, is there going to be a right click option in the new macbooks??

Its my first mac thats why im asking:) will use bootcamp and install windows aswell, so thats why a bit nervous:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.