Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xepp

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
anyone else having problems with subtitles? scan doesn't seem to pick up foreign language segments

SheepWorrier

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
Problems with Add Tv Tags-based workflows

Hi

I was having problems with the Add TV Tags action based workflows and have managed to debug and fix in my local copy.

The main.command is trying to get a tvdb mirror, but this now returns a 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable Error. According to theTVDB wiki, this is now depracated (and they may have actually now switched off mirrors.xml).

So, to fix I have just set tvdbMirror="http://thetvdb.com".

Thanks for all the excellent automator workflows - although I'm able to debug this I wouldn't have known where to start building form scratch!

98EXL

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
not on the moon
anyone else having problems with subtitles? scan doesn't seem to pick up foreign language segments

I'm still clueless on how subtitles work within the workflow. Ive never gotten them to work, yet I noticed when I ripped my Bourne movies, ta-da, they worked....and I feel that there were subtitles in the last three Bond movies. It seems like magic to me.

I've been having problems setting the contentID for things that aren't in iTunes, ie, Star Wars. When I make an ID up, it seems to revert back to a random contentID within Subler. Anyone have any insight?

Also, any way that when I'm encoding two versions of a movie, (ie ATV3 and iPad) that I can get them to name other than 'Movie (2013).m4v & Movie (2013) 2.m4v'. I'd like them to be 'Movie (2013)-HD.m4v & Movie (2013).m4v'

Other than that, I really can't complain about the workflow....it works

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Hey all. I'm just now looking at this OP. Do I really need Fairmount (or Mac DVDRipper Pro) if I'm only going to be ripping blu-rays?

jmfinn9

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Hey all. I'm just now looking at this OP. Do I really need Fairmount (or Mac DVDRipper Pro) if I'm only going to be ripping blu-rays?

I don't rip Blu-rays, but looking at the description at the beginning of this thread, it appears that you don't need Fairmount for blu-rays - just makemkv.

hungryd

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2007
curious about ripping

i own another software app called Ripit that works very, very quickly. much more quickly than fair mount and vlc. just curious if anyone's had any success in importing the .dvdmedia files that ripit creates into the bath/rip automator actions.

i've tried both using the .dvdmedia files and converting them into .iso folders.

98EXL

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
not on the moon
Nothing has changed in my setup recently, and I have a problem.

No audio using iPad preset, but from the same mkv file, I get audio in my AppleTV rips.

Ideas?

Also, what triggers chapter pictures on the iPad? Those seem to be magically working.....

98EXL

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
not on the moon
Nothing has changed in my setup recently, and I have a problem.

No audio using iPad preset, but from the same mkv file, I get audio in my AppleTV rips.

Ideas?

Also, what triggers chapter pictures on the iPad? Those seem to be magically working.....

Audio problem with the Handbrake built in preset I think on the CLI. When I fired up my new mini, I put the preset variables into Custom 1 and Custom 2, worked like a champ. Very odd

mdpeterman

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
I'm having trouble with getting my Bluray rips to process the same way they used to when I used these automator actions a year ago. I want the mkv rips from blurays to stay as mkv files, but I want the encoder action to strip out the extra languages and audio tracks. Essentially all it used to do was reduce the size of the mkv file and just keep english audio. Does anyone know how to configure them to do this again?

98EXL

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
not on the moon
just download the movies! its quicker.

It's faster to rip the Blu-ray Discs to mkv than downloading them.
That being said, to get the versions (AppleTV and iPad) at the quality I want, versus searching and getting a few bad rips from the Internet, it's actually easier and quicker to DIY over 200 movies.

And let's not even start with meta data....my super OCD in action, downloading doesn't cut it, and my ISP wont like the crazy bandwidth I'm using.

MackedUp

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Movie tags not working

Get movie tags automator not working.
Version 2.1 of the api.themoviedb.org has been deprecated.

crdolan13

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2013
Batch Rip Dispatcher

Hi. I am just starting to build this workflow and when I tried activating the Batch Rip Dispatcher I got this error

Batch Rip Dispatcher encountered an error:

launchctl: Couldn't stat("/Users/crdolan/Library/LaunchAgents/com.batchRip.BatchRipDispatcher.plist"): No such file or directory
nothing found to unload

Any suggestions on how I fix this? Thanks, I appreciate the help!

Vasja

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Subtitles

Hi,

I'm struggling to add subtitles to videos. I want to burn in all english (usually track 1) subtitles.

I have found following:
i) video rips ok (I can encode without subtitles)
ii) Original .mkv file has all subtitles. I can play them with VLC
iii) in the process an intermediary .mkv file is created
iv) this file does not contain any subtitles...

No setting helps, custom or preset for HandBrakeCLI ...

I'm on Mountain Lion...

Any idea?
Why intermediary file is created anyway? It looks like it's muxing somethnig...

Thanks!

Vasja

Vasja

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Also, any way that when I'm encoding two versions of a movie, (ie ATV3 and iPad) that I can get them to name other than 'Movie (2013).m4v & Movie (2013) 2.m4v'. I'd like them to be 'Movie (2013)-HD.m4v & Movie (2013).m4v'

Any luck with this? Anyone?

V.

williamsonajm

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
"RE error: repetition-operator operand invalid" & "unterminated substitute pattern"

Hi all

I'm trying to use the scripts but they don't seem to be working properly. I can import the dvd onto the computer using the automatic makemkv script, but then the ical automated encode script just opens the applescript and leaves it displayed on screen. If I manually try and excuse the batch encode (finder) script then I get the following error in Terminal:

Code:
batchEncode.sh v1.0.9

Start: Sun 14 Jul 2013 20:07:02 BST
  Input directory 1: /Users/williamsonajm/Movies/Batch Rip Movies
  Input directory 2: /Users/williamsonajm/Movies/Batch Rip TV
  Output directory: /Users/williamsonajm/Movies/Batch Encode
  Use optical Drive: No
  Encode HD Sources: No
  Keep MKV Temp Files: No
  Auto-add movie tags: Yes
  Retire Existing File: No
  Growl me when complete: No
  Encode TV Shows between: 20-120 mins
  Encode Movies between: 80-180 mins
  Native Language: eng (en)
  Use Disc's Default Audio Language: Yes
  Will Encode: Encode 1/AppleTV 2

WILL PROCESS THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS:
sed: 1: "s|\/Batch Rip TV
.Batch ...": unterminated substitute pattern
sed: 1: "s|^.*\+ size: ||
": RE error: repetition-operator operand invalid
  Batch Rip TV
.Batch
Rip
TV : (Movie)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PROCESSING: Batch Rip TV
.Batch
Rip
TV 

*Scanning File: 'Batch Rip TV
.Batch
Rip
TV'

* ERROR: Batch Rip TV
.Batch
Rip
TV FAILED during processing!

PROCESSING COMPLETE: Batch Rip TV
.Batch
Rip
TV
  End: Sun 14 Jul 2013 20:07:05 BST

logout

[Process completed]

Any ideas?

jmfinn9

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
You might need to add the -E flag on sed as I outlined here: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16816157/
Hi all

I'm trying to use the scripts but they don't seem to be working properly. I can import the dvd onto the computer using the automatic makemkv script, but then the ical automated encode script just opens the applescript and leaves it displayed on screen. If I manually try and excuse the batch encode (finder) script then I get the following error in Terminal:

Code:
batchEncode.sh v1.0.9

Start: Sun 14 Jul 2013 20:07:02 BST
  Input directory 1: /Users/williamsonajm/Movies/Batch Rip Movies
  Input directory 2: /Users/williamsonajm/Movies/Batch Rip TV
  Output directory: /Users/williamsonajm/Movies/Batch Encode
  Use optical Drive: No
  Encode HD Sources: No
  Keep MKV Temp Files: No
  Auto-add movie tags: Yes
  Retire Existing File: No
  Growl me when complete: No
  Encode TV Shows between: 20-120 mins
  Encode Movies between: 80-180 mins
  Native Language: eng (en)
  Use Disc's Default Audio Language: Yes
  Will Encode: Encode 1/AppleTV 2

WILL PROCESS THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS:
  Batch Rip TV
.Batch
Rip
TV : (Movie)

PROCESSING: Batch Rip TV
.Batch
Rip
TV 

*Scanning File: 'Batch Rip TV
.Batch
Rip
TV'

* ERROR: Batch Rip TV
.Batch
Rip
TV FAILED during processing!

PROCESSING COMPLETE: Batch Rip TV
.Batch
Rip
TV
  End: Sun 14 Jul 2013 20:07:05 BST

logout

[Process completed]

Any ideas?

Touchstone64

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
Manchester, UK
More sed commands with 'extended' regular expressions

Following up the need to add '-E' to some of the sed commands in batchEncode.sh (thanks jmfinn9 :) ... are there a couple more at lines 548 and 549?

When the script determine the 'size' of the video, from:

Code:
sourcePixelWidth=`echo "$scanFile" | egrep "\+ size" | sed -e 's|^.*\+ size: ||' -e 's|x.*||'`
sourcePixelHeight=`echo "$scanFile" | egrep "\+ size" | sed -e 's|^.*\+ size: ||' -e 's|, pixel.*||' -e 's|.*x||'`

to

Code:
sourcePixelWidth=`echo "$scanFile" | egrep "\+ size" | sed [COLOR="Red"]-E[/COLOR] -e 's|^.*\+ size: ||' -e 's|x.*||'`
sourcePixelHeight=`echo "$scanFile" | egrep "\+ size" | sed [COLOR="Red"]-E[/COLOR] -e 's|^.*\+ size: ||' -e 's|, pixel.*||' -e 's|.*x||'`

I was getting similar 'repetition-operator' errors from the sed commands when encoding some video...

I've changed my script and will monitor the results.

katzen33

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
Hi,

is it possible to change "Add TV tags" so it will accept two-parted episodes? In my case The Adventures of Tintin feature a lot of episodes with two parts, which I combined or are in one file on the DVD. I named these files S01E01-02, etc. This not being the exact format needed the script will fail. So is it possible to change it so it would still get combined Metadata of episode 1&2 or maybe just of the first one?

Also: Is it possible for the script to ignore anything after SXXEXX so i can add episode names after the number and still be able to get the metadata?

Thanks

BlocParty

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013
Issue with Batch Rip Dispatcher

Hey guys, I hope this thread is still active.

By default the Batch Rip Dispatcher is on (the green light is shown). When I click it to turn it off I get this error:

Code:

launchctl: Couldn't stat("/Users/----/Library/LaunchAgents/com.batchRip.BatchRipDispatcher.plist"): No such file or directory
nothing found to unload

And when I turn it on I get this:

Code:

chown: /Users/----/Library/LaunchAgents/com.divx.agent.postinstall.plist: Operation not permitted

I've tried the basic reinstall and reboot, repair disk permissions, but I can't get the dispatcher to work. Nothing happens when I insert a disk.

Thanks!

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
I've been trying to convert some of my TV on DVDs for a while now and never had much luck. With Daria, for example, there are 96 chapter listings on the first Disc with so many having random times. I finally figured out how to rip them correctly and know which one is the 'real' file:

Now that you’ve taken that to heart, here’s what’s going on. You’ve encountered a copy protection measure that’s increasingly being used by the creators of these discs. Discs like this list multiple instances of a main feature title, all with different lengths. But only one of them is the real thing. HandBrake does its best to guess the correct one, but it often fails, leaving you with the kind of out-of-whack movie you’ve described.

So, the trick is discovering the real title. And that’s easily done.

Just insert the DVD and let Apple’s DVD Player application play it. Skip through the previews, commercials, and whatever else crops up before you can watch the movie. When the main feature finally begins playing, push your cursor to the top of the display to reveal the menu bar. From that menu bar choose Go -> Title. Scan down the long list of titles and you’ll see a check next to one of the titles. This is the title number of the real main feature. Make a note of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.