Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm trying to use MakeMKV as the ripper for DVDs but when I insert a DVD it complains about FairMount (which is not installed) and never executes MakeMKV.

Anyone have this problem before?

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
APi

has anyone foudn the changes required to update the API for getting meta data, sinc eit appears that 2.1 which this uses is now gone?

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Really hoping this will get a fix. Been going nuts the past few days trouble shooting. Just saw this now and on TMDB support section.

Stoube26

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
USA
I got a v3 API key from TMDB today, I'm just not sure about the location and name of the script I'm supposed to edit to fix this.

Any help?

Will post write up if successful.

katzen33

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
I tried something yesterday with the api_key given in the script. You can find the API related program under: /Applications/Batch Rip Actions for Automator.app/Contents/Library/Automator/Add Movie Tags.action/Contents/Resources/main.command

You can access the search via http://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/movie?$searchTerm&api_key=XXX and the movie information via http://api.themoviedb.org/3/Movie/$theMovieID?api_key=XXX ($searchTerm and $theMovieID are in the command-file). The result of these requests will be a JSON-Document.

Result of the search /movie?star+wars&api_key=XXX will be like this
Code:
"page": 1,
"results": [
{
"adult": false,
"backdrop_path": "/4iJfYYoQzZcONB9hNzg0J0wWyPH.jpg",
"id": 11,
"original_title": "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope",
"release_date": "1977-05-25",
"poster_path": "/jMw3JoZXB6CIkWUNwQdaHrIdkeb.jpg",
"popularity": 15.0902541593392,
"title": "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope",
"vote_average": 7.5,
"vote_count": 1904
},

In v2.1 the results were probably in a table and the script uses grep to find the information like this:
Code:
tmdbSearch=`$curlCmd "http://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/movie?query=$searchTerm&api_key=XXX" | grep '<id>' | awk -F\> '{print $2}' | awk -F\< '{print $1}'`
I already substituted the v2.1 URL with the matching v3 URL. But that's where my knowledge ends:(

navvy

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
I got a v3 API key from TMDB today, I'm just not sure about the location and name of the script I'm supposed to edit to fix this.

Any help?

Will post write up if successful.

The file is in Applications/Batch Rip Actions for Automator.app/Contents/Library/Automator/Add Movie Tags.action/Contents/Resources/main.command

Line 55 I think.

If you want a hand, I'm happy to help.

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
The file is in Applications/Batch Rip Actions for Automator.app/Contents/Library/Automator/Add Movie Tags.action/Contents/Resources/main.command

Line 55 I think.

Would be great if we can get a write up how to fix it for all... Thanx for giving info on where isssue is.

Stoube26

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
USA

Line 55 I think.

I believe that is the file that needs the change. I updated the command file with the new URL and my API key but the syntax isn't correct. All I changed was the 2.1 to a 3 per their documentation and changed the API key in that command file to my personal v3 key.

http://docs.themoviedb.apiary.io/

Here is the URL for their new API documentation if anyone could assist.

TMDB will provide API keys instantaneously to individuals from their website all you have to do is create a TMDB user account and request a key.

Last edited:

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I believe that is the file that needs the change. I updated the command file with the new URL and my API key but the syntax isn't correct. All I changed was the 2.1 to a 3 per their documentation and changed the API key in that command file to my personal v3 key.

http://docs.themoviedb.apiary.io/

Here is the URL for their new API documentation if anyone could assist.

TMDB will provide API keys instantaneously to individuals from their website all you have to do is create a TMDB user account and request a key.

We didn't each have to go out an dget a key before though?

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Sorry, I am dumb when it comes to this stuff. I have it set up right and that is as far as I got originally. Has anyone gotten it to work? If so, is it a file that can be uploaded for us to replace?

Stoube26

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
USA
We didn't each have to go out an dget a key before though?

We still might not have to, I'm not sure though with the new version. I was mostly speaking from a testing situation it would be easier to have your own API key.

I believe that as far as editing a file to upload we could do that in theory as long as TMDB isn't restricting the number of users on one API key (i.e. number of requests in certain period of time) if uploading a file is not possible a workaround would have to be a new script with updated syntax and each end user having to edit it to input their API key.

I've looked through Applications/Batch Rip Actions for Automator.app/Contents/Library/Automator/Add Movie Tags.action/Contents/Resources/main.command and I am certain this script is the culprit.

It appears to be written using cURL, which I am not fluent in at all. Anyone?

Last edited:

navvy

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
It appears to be written using cURL, which I am not fluent in at all. Anyone?

curl is the program used to make the http request. Version 2.1 used xml for the request. The request now needs to be uploaded as a JSON object.

I'll have a look and try to build a query using JSON. There's going to be quite a few changes that need to be made here to get this working again.

cteselle

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2010
Well glad it wasn't just me. I was going crazy thinking something changed on my end. Hopefully we'll see an update soon.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Is anyone else having iDenitfy no longer pulling cnID numbers, even with the beta release? I can't get it to populate which means I can't load dual (SD/HD) rips into iTunes.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Two questions.

ANyone have luck with working out this problem with the tagging yet?

What is the process to having the Ripped files end up on a secondary HD?

Kevin

HackerJL

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
Replacement

Hello all, I have this forum bookmarked, and have used the ever living crap out of these type of actions. In the last few months, I have moved away from them, and now with the movie api changing, I have moved 100% away from them for movies.

Wanted to drop a line here and let everyone know that there are ways of doing it without these actions. Although its not as elegant, and with the API being changed, its actually one more step involved. I am ok with it. I dont know if all of you are up for it or not.

Essentially, I have quite an elaborate set of actions with hazel setup to use handbrakecli to do all the heaving lifting. Once thats complete, I use the identify program to tag and rename the program, and the hazel takes it from there again. Adding it right into Itunes and everything.

I utilize colour coding and such to work with hazel, and it works pretty damn good. The API change and the introduction of identify has been the only part that requires interaction for the most part (or if you are ripping, manual disk insertion).

Just wondering if anyone cares to see the setup I have. If so, I will create a new thread and start from there in the future. I dont want to bust my arse if no one cares though.

Keep in mind, you will need hazel, and identify. Both $$, but well worth it in my opinion.

nickwild

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
Essentially, I have quite an elaborate set of actions with hazel setup to use handbrakecli to do all the heaving lifting. Once thats complete, I use the identify program to tag and rename the program, and the hazel takes it from there again. Adding it right into Itunes and everything.

I utilize colour coding and such to work with hazel, and it works pretty damn good. The API change and the introduction of identify has been the only part that requires interaction for the most part (or if you are ripping, manual disk insertion).

Just wondering if anyone cares to see the setup I have. If so, I will create a new thread and start from there in the future. I dont want to bust my arse if no one cares though.

Keep in mind, you will need hazel, and identify. Both $$, but well worth it in my opinion.

I'd love to see your setup HackerJL. I have both identify and Hazel so it would be VERY useful thanks.

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Hello all, I have this forum bookmarked, and have used the ever living crap out of these type of actions. In the last few months, I have moved away from them, and now with the movie api changing, I have moved 100% away from them for movies.

Wanted to drop a line here and let everyone know that there are ways of doing it without these actions. Although its not as elegant, and with the API being changed, its actually one more step involved. I am ok with it. I dont know if all of you are up for it or not.

Yes please. I have all those apps already, but have always use them in conjunction with this scripting.. I hope mac comes backs and updates this process... but he hasnt been on here for a long time... We need a scripting person to fix it...

HackerJL

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
I will sit down and hammer something out, maybe tomorrow night.

I also utilize prowl (with growl on the desktop side to push it from hazel) (sorry, more $$) - amazing little program that pays for itself time and time again.

I will do it in a different thread and just link it to this one, dont want to hijack it 100%.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
I have this somewhat working with the new v3 API. Required a lot of rewrite and i had to install a lightweight JSON parser so i could manipulate the data since its JSON only.

Let me know if you want to help beta test it. Some things still not working - ie when you rename file and add tags it works but when you just add tags some things get messed up.

Hope to have more progress in a week or two.

PS Requires you to install jq (http://stedolan.github.io/jq/) and know a little about what your doing so you can replace the main.command script.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Further to my post above...

Attached, are the .action files for Add Movie Tags and Add Movie Poster. You need to replace the ones in your Batch Rip Actions.app (show package contents; Contents/Library/Automator/

I am posting these unless MacJedi has an objection in which case I will take them down. Please note the following:

1) THIS IS FOR BETA TESTING ONLY. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR CONTENT OR YOUR DATA.

2) Install Instructions:
a) Install jq from here: http://stedolan.github.io/jq/
b) The default install path is /usr/local/bin. If you install somewhere else, this can be changed in each of the main.command files within the .action files. The path is specified at the top.
c) Replace the .action files as I described above

3) This uses my API key for thethemoviedb.org. Its a personal key and I will update it in a few weeks. Please apply for your own, its free. You will have to replace the API key within the two main.command files everywhere you see it.

4) Let me know any feedback and I am happy to try and fix. Right now, what I cannot get working well is if you try and run the action to just add movie tags (filename), it does not capture a bunch of data. It may have been like this before. If you do it by search, it works fine.

5) Once I get these working, ill try for the TV tags.

Attachments

• Batch Rip Files.zip
    40.5 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

scifi451

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
MN
Great work on your part.

For me at least I think the tv tags are still working it seems for me. At least they where a few days ago for the original actions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.