Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Xtremehkr said:
I imagine that MP3s will eventually become a fashion acessory, especially at colleges.

'Eventually?' This has already happened - I've seen this happening all over my campus. Every day at least five people are walking around campus with an iPod on their waist or in their pocket and the trademark white earbuds leading to the ipod via the pretty white cable. Girls, guys, old, young, geek, computer neophytes—everyone likes them.

The only problem I see is price - I wouldn't have even thought about buying one (the 20 GB version) without the $200 rebate for purchasing it with a Mac laptop.

If Apple could bring the price down to $199, I could see many more people purchasing them - just for the 'coolness' factor.

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
iPost said:
I thought this would be apparent to everyone, but I guess not...

It's simple...

One company does not have the ability to supply the entire world with portable music players. One company neither has the manufacturing capacity nor would be willing to take on the risk of investing in billions of dollars of raw materials to manufacture players to supply the entire world.

Because Apple is not licensing its FairPlay technology to the world (and as a result, only iPods can play FairPlay tunes), by the laws of economics alone, Apple and the iPod are guaranteed to lose out if Apple remains the sole supplier of iPods.

This is also the reason why the Macintosh, however great it is, will never replace the PC as the dominant personal computer... Apple simply doesn't have the capacity to supply the world's population with computers.

In fact, it's amazing that it has taken Apple so long to learn this lesson. The creator of the Mac (Jef Raskin) pointed this out to Apple way back in 1979!!! (http://humane.sourceforge.net/published/millions.html)

What makes you think that Apple isn't manufacturing them and supplying them to HP?

sirjimithy

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2003
MD
ariza910 said:
I doubt you would have to buy a product from belkin to use the ipod to HP printer feature.

You'll have to have some sort of photo card reader to get the pictures into the iPod.. unless HP makes their own card reader for the iPod, or makes a cable that connects the camera directly to the iPod, you'll need the Belkin card reader.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
applekid said:
Here's the stumper for me though. Why would you choose to buy an HP iPod over an Apple iPod? Besides the blue color, there really isn't a reason. Let's forget the brand and the color for a moment. It'll most likely have the same features, the same hardware, and same price.
Well... it appears now that the blue color is no more. Thank God. But to answer your question... up till now if you wanted an ipod, you had to either have an Apple Store, CompUSA or other Mac Specialty store to get on... well you could buy it online from a variety of places, but then you have to wait (and who wants to do that?) Now, there will ipods in so many more places; wherever HP sells their wares, you'll have the ipod. It really makes sense. And honestly, I don't think HP will make much on each one of these. However, the mere fact that they are associated with THE GADGET TO HAVE means that it will only bolster their image of Reliability.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
So when will Compaq's start shipping with iTunes and with the option of a Compaq iPod

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
well i did

it says "and error occured" when i try to play the stream? should i reinstall wmp 9? or use 7?

Attachments

• j].jpg
    j].jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 102

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal
sirjimithy said:
You'll have to have some sort of photo card reader to get the pictures into the iPod.. unless HP makes their own card reader for the iPod, or makes a cable that connects the camera directly to the iPod, you'll need the Belkin card reader.

That is really lame, thats what I hate the PC world. everything is half fast.

If they were going to add iPod to HP printer capabilities then why not add HP digital camera to iPod for storing the pics.

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal
CubaTBird said:
it says "and error occured" when i try to play the stream? should i reinstall wmp 9? or use 7?

The stream is over. its not being played again in a loop like apple keynotes.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
white iPods / grey HPods

im pleased that apple have more distribution channels for the iPod, it will help integrate apples name even further to the average PC users life. And DAMN, am i glad that they arnt the "HP blue" that colour made me sick.

Apples reason for giving HP access to a bastardised grey version was always that they could sell the old (read 3rd) generation iPod (being cheaper, and less desirable) under a different name, while touting their new generation iPod themselves. The fact we arnt seeing a grey 'HPod' must be that apple agev HP the choice of having an old, but HP branded iPod, or the newer, but apple branded iPod to sell. HP made the right decision by not diluting the 'iPodness' of that little white baby.

sorry if this has been said before, im too lazy to read 15 pages ;)

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
denm316 said:
according to the hp site it has an illuminated click wheel, the apple ones dont have that.

Maybe they mean illuminated click wheel button labels? The Apple ones have that (I think?)

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
It's a good thing

geerlingguy said:
'Eventually?' This has already happened - I've seen this happening all over my campus. Every day at least five people are walking around campus with an iPod on their waist or in their pocket and the trademark white earbuds leading to the ipod via the pretty white cable. Girls, guys, old, young, geek, computer neophytes—everyone likes them.

The only problem I see is price - I wouldn't have even thought about buying one (the 20 GB version) without the $200 rebate for purchasing it with a Mac laptop.

If Apple could bring the price down to $199, I could see many more people purchasing them - just for the 'coolness' factor.

Yeah, hopefully from there it will be mainstream. Despite the price, I think it is a deal considering the number of things you can do with it. I could see it becoming the ultimate all in one device. But they have to get it out there and establish consumer loyalty. The iPod will do from the campus to the real world, good placement.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
denm316 said:
according to the hp site it has an illuminated click wheel, the apple ones dont have that.

Where does it say that on their site? I'm not seeing that listed as a feature.

<edit>: Ahh, I see now, it shows that on the HP Shopping site. Funny it doesn't mention this in any of the technical specification info. on their main site though or in the PDF spec sheet. Until we know for sure I'd be skeptical. It may just be another typo.

scottwat

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Ohio USA
Not liking this

Its great that more people are selling the ipod, but still apple does pretty good themselves, and they have other retail outlets. This isn't nearly as big a deal as a different colored ipod or an actual HP branded ipod. That would have been some news. Now its just another place selling ipods, amazon.com sells ipods, crutchfields sells ipods, even bose stores sell ipods. Atleast HP isnt coming out with some other lame mp3 player. They are atleast smart enough to offer their buyers the best player out there.

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
Just went onto the Hp site; http://h10049.www1.hp.com/music/us/en/index_flash.jsp, and they are advertising iTms, and iPod. All the links end up at Apple, even for the more info bit, and tgo download iTunes.
HP SITE said:
Requirements
PC with FireWire or USB 2.0 port, or FireWire or USB 2.0 card; Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or Windows XP Home or Professional
:eek: :eek: What happened to Apple support? This is supposed to be an Apple product? What a joke. Last time I buy anything HP!

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I don't know how they can have the wheel light up when it seems like the exact same model Apple sells. And I doubt that Apple would let them change anything on the iPod without Apple giving some sort of nod to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.