Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
First of all, yes, people do buy music from the sixties on the ITMS. Right now the #9 album being downloaded is American Beauty by the Grateful Dead. And I believe the reason that the Beatles have yet to sign with ITMS is that they are very angry with Apple. You see, the Beatles recording company is Apple Records, and when Apple Computers started, Apple Computers agreed to not enter the mucic business. Now, they are in a minor dispute. I don't see any trial or anything, but it will probably be a while before the Beatles go to ITMS.

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
gco212 said:
First of all, yes, people do buy music from the sixties on the ITMS. Right now the #9 album being downloaded is American Beauty by the Grateful Dead. And I believe the reason that the Beatles have yet to sign with ITMS is that they are very angry with Apple. You see, the Beatles recording company is Apple Records, and when Apple Computers started, Apple Computers agreed to not enter the mucic business. Now, they are in a minor dispute. I don't see any trial or anything, but it will probably be a while before the Beatles go to ITMS.

there is actually pending litigation on this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3105444.stm

CholEoptera36

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Good move Apple

gco212 said:

I don't blame the Beatles one bit. And a simple fact that companies have to be careful of these things. If MS can get sued by Real for something as stupid as having WindowsXP come with WMP (which would be like Apple getting sued by MS for having OS X come with iTunes or somehting...), then I don't see why Apple shouldn't get sued for what they did to the Beatles. It happens to all major companies, sooner or later.

iFaulder said:
Now its only time till my dumb PC friends say HP invented the iPod. :D

Yeah and there's a lot of people who think Apple makes G4 and G5 processors... Or any of their own hardware for that matter. Not memory, video cards, motherboards, hard drives, CPUs, sound cards, combo/super drives, or any of that stuff is made by Apple. It's okay for apple to sell PC hardware but it's not okay for PC companies to sell Apple products? yeah okay... even the new displays aren't made by Apple, they only design their computers and they make their own OS that's all. And a lot of that is jointly developed with partner companies too. Hope that doesn't come off too sarcastic, but it's true.

Aside from all that, this is a smart move by Apple to allow HP to sell iPods. Increase the amount of sales by taking advantage of the massive PC population that is already established. It might even get some die hard PC people to think of switching. Make it as easy as possible to sell your products, even if through another vendor. Thankfully they aren't HP blue though(as of the moment that is), although they do have those tattoo things you can get for them now... yuck. All in all still a good move by Apple though.

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
I don't get...

how can people have a problem with personalizing the ipod with non-destructive, self printable stickers? But then again, I don't get where this thread went either.... :rolleyes:
Does anyone think the scrollwheel will illuminate after an update? The great & mysterious hidden feature? :D

CholEoptera36

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
tex210 said:
how can people have a problem with personalizing the ipod with non-destructive, self printable stickers?

Hope I didn't rub things the wrong way with my comment about the tattoos.

I guess it just looks weird seeing an iPod or any Apple product personalized to that extent. Usually personallizing your mac with color is as far as we've seen before. Everybody's G5 PowerPC looks the same, as do all PowerBooks, iBooks, eMacs, yada yada... It's just an odd change in style for an Apple product to be decorated with a sticker of choice like that I guess. Kinda reminds me of how everybody gets those face plates for their cell phones, or how everyone has those annoying ring tones that they think are so cute. Just a personal oppinion that's all. ;)

kangaroo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
hPod

I haven't read through all the posts but to answer those of you who are baffled by this arrangment--it's simple: HP will help sell more iPods and (presumably) more computers because of their connection to iPods. To increase sales, however, HP should add an iPod option while ticking through either a Pavillion or Presario computer purchase.

CholEoptera36

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Yeah Manu Chao, that second one looks like a page straight out of Apple advertisement. I wonder if Apple is going to be behind the HP advertisements of the iPod?

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
gco212 said:
... You see, the Beatles recording company is Apple Records, and when Apple Computers started, Apple Computers agreed to not enter the mucic business...
I think you just might get the Nobel Prize in Journalism with this incredible story, yet to be seen anywhere. :D

macguymike

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2003
California
tny said:
I treat iTMS downloads as singles (you youngsters wouldn't know about this - once upon a time, when music was analog and on vinyl, they had smaller phono records that rotated faster, called 45s, that had one song on each side).

Last I checked, "singles" are not a thing of days-gone-by. I've bought many CD singles that include a single track (whichever song was selected from the album for FM play) along with a song (or two) that was not released with the main album or sometimes a remix (or several) of the single track. I own "singles" in CD format from Metallica, Nine Inch Nails and Type O Negative.

CholEoptera36

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
iDave said:
I think JGowan meant that as sarcasm, with a smile. It's pretty old news. :)

I got what he was saying ;) Just wasn't sure if that source was a good one or not. I had no idea it was old knews, lol I just now am hearing of it is why I'm a little confused.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
CholEoptera36 said:
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just wondering. Is this not a reliable source, BBC news?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3105444.stm

Although... it is in the entertainment section... :p

Um, JGowan's post was dripping with sarcasm. This is such old news and has been discussed so much (not only on MacRumors), that the only way anyone couldn't have heard about it is if they've been living for the past few years in a cave... on Mars... with their fingers in their ears... :cool:

Jackal05

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2004
What the hell? This is like a total rip off. Why did even Apple let them do something like that?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
CholEoptera36 said:
Yeah Manu Chao, that second one looks like a page straight out of Apple advertisement. I wonder if Apple is going to be behind the HP advertisements of the iPod?

I assume they at least talk to each other about their respective campaigns. However, the first (and also the third) ad is/are done in the usual HP style (or am I confusing things with Sony?).

CholEoptera36

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
manu chao said:
I assume they at least talk to each other about their respective campaigns. However, the first (and also the third) ad is/are done in the usual HP style (or am I confusing things with Sony?).

Yeah you can definitely see a difference between the pictures. Apple has a very distinct way of advertising iTunes and iPods, as well as HP has their own look and feel to their advertisements. I wonder how this will play out by the time HP makes iPod commercials on TV? It would be kinda weird not seeing those dancing figures holding iPods like the traditional Apple iPod ads.

By looking at the ads, it reminds me in a way of how HP advertises for their cameras and photo printing. Very individual based, uniqueness, you are in control of your destiny type of ads. I'm no expert in advertisements, but what do you think?

macumus

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2004
HP delivers Linux laptop, but why's an iMac on the desktop?

I wonder if HP licensed this iMac image from Apple. Can they do that otherwise? Did the linux guys license it? Maybe HP is going to license OS X from Apple and this is just a precursor?

From a ZDNET video story about HP w/ Linux:
it's on the desktop, part of an icon for "My Computer", third one down in the close up. about 30 seconds into the video clip. realplayer

http://zdnet.com.com/1606-2-5298692.html

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
hp's ipod commercial just showed on the vma's. it was badass. i thought it was cooler than apple's commercials. of course not as flashy as colored backgrounds, but it was still really cool.

iJon

CholEoptera36

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
iJon said:
hp's ipod commercial just showed on the vma's. it was badass. i thought it was cooler than apple's commercials.

Sweet, I can't wait to see them :D I'm turning on the VMA's right now actually;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.