Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Dr. Dastardly said:
I don't know how they can have the wheel light up when it seems like the exact same model Apple sells. And I doubt that Apple would let them change anything on the iPod without Apple giving some sort of nod to do so.

Yeah I very much doubt their wheel lights up

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
question

Does this mean that the iPod will now be sold everywhere (in the US) that HP products are sold? Is this a way for Apple to have the iPod sold at places like Walmart?

krohde

macrumors member
May 29, 2002
Europe, UK
Dr. Dastardly said:
Where? And are you sure thats not a "tatoo".

Thats another question, why the hell would someone want to cover up something thats design won countless awards and praise from critics.

It's all about personalizing your gadgets... this was one thing I had to agree with Carli about. I would love to design my own tattoo for the iPod.

How much you wanna bet someone has already registered some domain name like .... http://www.ipodtattoes.com???? A few days and u will see a website under construction somewhere made for this... and i think it will be quite big to be honest... its gonna be even bigger than exchangable phone covers like we have them here in Europe....

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Blue hPod

it just occurred to me that if one of those blue prototype hPods ever appears on ebay, it'll be worth bucks to a collector.

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
johnbro23 said:
Why would Apple let HP sell iPods? Is Apple getting any of the money HP makes from using the iPod design? I don't understand why Apple wouldn't want to sell all the iPods, and not let HP get any of the profits.

to help kill any lingering notion that iPods are a mac only thing.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
ariza910 said:
I doubt you would have to buy a product from belkin to use the ipod to HP printer feature.
It's a good thing that nobody suggested that then. The Belkin device is used to extract photos from flash cards. The question being answered was about how photos would be put onto the iPod, not how they would later be printed (to which the answer is obvious: USB).

c726e6f6e

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2004
New iPods

Oh, Beatles shmeatles. People go to the iTMS to buy new popular music, not overplayed hits from the sixties. Think about the average age of an iPod owner, or any other digital music player owner for that matter. What kind of music are they listening to? Who are their favorite artists? Granted the Beatles have a lot of classic songs that people still enjoy, but they're just not top-of-mind for the downloading generation.

-Joe

I'm 24, and would love to be able to download Beatles tracks from the iTMS, and I think your assumption about the average age of an iPod owner being a demographic that doesn't care about The Beatles is rather flawed. I know a good number of people as well who have been waiting for The Beatles to get onto the music store so that they can download them. It's alot more of a concern than you might think. In thinking about the average age of an iPod owner, it occurs to me that it's someone who's going to be old enough to be making enough money to drop $300 to $400 (not counting tax, or any accessories that they might buy at the time of purchase) without having to eat ramen exclusively for the next month; the majority of iPod owners are not spoiled rich kids whose parents buy whatever they want for them at the drop of a hat. I was able to purchase my iPod because $400 is less than one weekly paycheque (so I got the voice recorder, too ;) ). In fact, the great majority of iPod owners that I've even seen walking down the street or riding the bus or jogging around Greenlake or whathaveyou are all *gasp* adults. In fact, given that the overwhelming majority of purchasing power worldwide comes from adults, and that a massive amount of adults are Beatles fans (and that more people become fans every day), these fans probably want to be able to legally purchase their music in a downloadable format that will play on their nice, new expensive iPod that that they worked hard for, and it would be a consumer base that anybody would be striving to get ahold of. I myself have only purchased one Beatles album (the White Album) on CD (well, okay, I actually asked for it as an x-mas present), and have not purchased any more because I'm able to see the future that is online music stores (especially in light of the fact that I'm getting sick and tired of packing and unpacking the 200-odd CDs that I own whenever I move) and know that I want to be purchasing music from online music stores from now on. And there are plenty of people out there that are in the same position, so can you blame them for wanting to be able to purchase songs from a band they really like from a music store that they really like? 'Seems pretty logical to me. And the bottom line is that if that's what it takes for Apple to get more people to buy from their store, then that's what it takes. You may not ever listen to Skinny Puppy, for example, but when people were able to start downloading Too Dark Park from the iTMS, then a lot of Skinny Puppy fans started getting onto the iTMS. To quote 'Field of Dreams', "If you build it, they will come."

Also, people don't go to the iTMS to buy new, popular music: they go to the iTMS to buy music that they like. That's why most people go to music stores, online or not.

That aside, what's all this nonsense I hear about supply issues with the 4G iPods? I just ordered mine from the online Apple store yesterday, and thanks to the tracking number that Apple provided, I'm able to see that it's in transit. That doesn't seem indicative of a supply shortage to me...

c726e6f6e

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2004
Oh right!

I forgot the entire reason I was going to post in the first place!

The whole Apple + HP thing reminds me alot, actually, of Iomega and the ZIP drive back in the 90's. It was all about getting out that installed user base. Months after Iomega debuted the ZIP drive, they began licensing it out to other manufacturers (damned if I can remember any of the manufacturers, but I remember they were big electronics companies), who began selling their own <company name> Iomega ZIP Drives®. The point of doing this was so that there would be more of an installed user base of ZIP drive owners out there, and they could sell more and more of their ZIP disks, which was where they made the real killing.

And think about it; it's great and all that now you can buy iPods from places like Wal-Mart, but think about all the other places that HP sells their products, like Fred Meyer (although I don't know if they have those stores on the east coast). I mean, being able to go to your local neighbourhood Fred Meyer to buy and iPod is just mind blowing. Things like that are how you make your product a common household name. I think the move is utterly brilliant on Apple's part.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
c726e6f6e said:
...(especially in light of the fact that I'm getting sick and tired of packing and unpacking the 200-odd CDs that I own whenever I move)...
Do what I did; put all your music in iTunes, throw away all the CD jewel cases and get yourself a couple of CD storage boxes. 200 CDs take up remarkably little space in your closet that way.

HP is launching a big iPod advertising campaign starting Sunday. iPods are going to become huge (as if they weren't already). They'll become as ubiquitous as the toaster, I think.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
houttbe said:
The deal with HP basically means that Apple is giving up distribution of iPods in brick and mortar stores to HP ...

I suppose that is good news for iPod penetration in the retail segment - but the question is whether Apple will maintain separate distribution arrangements for its computers. More likely to concentrate on Apple stores and give up on other retail presence?
This really isn't a brand new thing. Years ago, many Mac models were sold under regular model numbers through traditional Apple dealers and the education market, and branded "Performa" in other channels. Then as now, the actual differences were minor, mostly packaging and slightly different software or accessory bundles.

A big problem back then was that Apple weren't very good at supporting retailers, and it showed in the way stores neglected those products. HP have figured out how to deal with this channel, and the arrangement spares Apple the hassle of dealing with it.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
krohde said:
How much you wanna bet someone has already registered some domain name like .... http://www.ipodtattoes.com???? A few days and u will see a website under construction somewhere made for this... and i think it will be quite big to be honest... its gonna be even bigger than exchangable phone covers like we have them here in Europe....

I don't know how popular that website will be actually - maybe it'll be big for people who can't spell, but for the rest of us, we'll be waiting for http://www.ipodtattoos.com... Mind you, maybe http://www.ipodtattooes.com will be frequently visited by confused fans who always check http://www.apppel.com for updates... :p :cool:

jobberwacky

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Zurich (CH)
mind boggling

c726e6f6e said:
I forgot the entire reason I was going to post in the first place!

I mean, being able to go to your local neighbourhood Fred Meyer to buy and iPod is just mind blowing.
Yes, this is ever so rad. Pssst, did anyone ever tell you that the world ain't flat? How about that for a mind boggler? Shatters your belief system, don't it?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
AliensAreFuzzy said:
I don't see why this is happening...
It doesn't make sense at all...
WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!?!

so apple gets itunes pre installed on all hp stuff, thus getting them used to apple software.

mixgrafix

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2004
Wyandotte, MI
Smart Move Apple... and Today You Can!

For the first time, a product that Apple Computer, Inc has designed, built, tested, marketed, and refined will be sold everywhere. I think that it is ironic that "Applephobes" who would never touch and iPod from an Apple Store or an online retailer, will now be able to walk into a Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, Costco, or a Radio-Shack, and pick up one of our beloved magical devices, and simply because the letters "HP" are laser engraved in the back of it, feel better about purchasing it because it comes from the windows world. This is the mentallity of PC users. Ask a PC user if they love their computer, and they will laugh at you. Ask a Mac user if they love their computer, and they will say yes, and they will tell you all about it. This is where Apple made the right move by putting the perrienial foot in the door.

This is a brilliant move by Apple, and something I wrote about a few weeks ago, for Apple to "Appleize" the PC industry. Get people to feel comfortable with your equipment, and then out of human nature, people become curious, and want to find out more about there products. They start to look at the Apple platform, and that may just be HP's by Apple running OSX. We know that the operating system is more stable, does not crash, and easier to use, but the masses still think that Mac's are for education. Why? I deal with fixing windows machines all the time for small businesses, and the reality is people fear change and the "unknown". Walk into a Best Buy or Costco or a Radio Shack. ALL PC's. NO MACS. I would love to walk into Best Buy, and see a G5 PowerMac or iMac by HP. This may be the start of increasing market share by piggybacking on HP's distrbution channels.

Smart Move Apple, Smart Move Steve.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
mixgrafix said:
This is where Apple made the right move by putting the perrienial foot in the door.

Smart Move Apple, Smart Move Steve.

Yep, and eres hoping that apple push out the imac or another entry level machine or device to increase their attractiveness to the pc world.

fratrow

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
OK... now where were we???

Won't you all look pretty silly when the press conference comes... HP shows their BLUE iPod... and everyone realizes that the pictures on HPs website were only SPACE HOLDERS!

Things that make you go HMMMM!

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
c726e6f6e said:
I'm 24, and would love to be able to download Beatles tracks from the iTMS, and I think your assumption about the average age of an iPod owner being a demographic that doesn't care about The Beatles is rather flawed. I myself have only purchased one Beatles album (the White Album) on CD (well, okay, I actually asked for it as an x-mas present), and have not purchased any more because I'm able to see the future that is online music stores (especially in light of the fact that I'm getting sick and tired of packing and unpacking the 200-odd CDs that I own whenever I move) and know that I want to be purchasing music from online music stores from now on. And there are plenty of people out there that are in the same position, so can you blame them for wanting to be able to purchase songs from a band they really like from a music store that they really like?

Well, I'm old enough that I bought my CD of Sgt. Pepper's on the day it was released, on lunch-break from my job (the CD, not the album). I also own an iPod, a G5, and an iBook - I bought the iBook because I always wanted a NeXT box, but couldn't afford one when they were around. Now I have about 300 iTMS downloads, and 200 CDs. I treat iTMS downloads as singles (you youngsters wouldn't know about this - once upon a time, when music was analog and on vinyl, they had smaller phono records that rotated faster, called 45s, that had one song on each side). I almost never buy a whole album, but buy individal tracks that catch my interest - everything from Ligeti (the violin works, not just the stuff that Kubrick used) to Leonard Cohen to The Offspring to Shinedown.

They used to say the same thing about the Beatles when the CDs came out (the Beatles have very unusual deals with their labels, and it wasn't until 1987 that the first Beatles CDs came out - it took that long for EMI and the US labels to come to an agreement with the Beatles' agents). Young critics (mostly about my age, then) claimed that everyone who wanted the Beatles already had them on vinyl or cassette, and the CD sales would be disappointing. When the CDs came out, they sold fast - in the UK, Sgt Peppers, for instance, hit #3 in 1987. That's right - a 20 year-old album hit #3. It hit #6 in 1992 (couldn't find US figures).

Will I buy the Beatles on iTMS? Probably not, as I have most of their stuff on CD already, and the CDs aren't that difficult to store and ship for me. But I suspect that they'll continue to be sold at pretty high rates for years to come. So the iTMS issue is something that will have to be resolved, eventually - probably to the great financial enrichment of the Beatles, and whatever remaining Apple Corps stockholders there are.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I think that it is funny that no where on HP's site does it say compatible with mac, only windows... hehe... I know, most people will know but still, there are a few dumbbells out there :D

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal
iMeowbot said:
It's a good thing that nobody suggested that then. The Belkin device is used to extract photos from flash cards. The question being answered was about how photos would be put onto the iPod, not how they would later be printed (to which the answer is obvious: USB).

I asked the question of how the Printing feature would work on the HP printers. the iPod to printer part is obviously usb.

The question is how HP expects its iPod+HP customers to get the pictures on their iPods in the first place, I cant believe they would expect them to have to buy a third party product for that.

Surely HP will come out with their own card reader or new HP cameras will be able to dump pictures straight to Hpods.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
zim said:
I think that it is funny that no where on HP's site does it say compatible with mac, only windows... hehe... I know, most people will know but still, there are a few dumbbells out there :D

WHy would they mention Mac compatibility? THey market to Windows users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.