Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Why? I did this the other day using someone elses Ipad! If you have to use itunes then you have to have your mac/pc with you, or install itunues and register that PC with itunes in order to access your phone.

With the OTA market you can use any browser on any device anywhere.

Can't we just go to the app store??

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
Your cash

Two things:

Firstly, I'm not talking about "your" financial situation - I don't even know you.

Secondly, why are you (and all the other nay sayers) hanging about on an Apple forum if you think they make crappy products? My guess is that you're all trying to justify yourselves by saying the iPhone is no good while all the time you wish you had one. Please don't be surprised if you find that most of the people here actually like Apple stuff!

Now be honest, did you buy the droid phone outright with your own money?

Listen here buddy, don't go around talking like you know about my financial situation. I have an Android. I can afford an iPhone. I can go out and buy one for the full unsubsidized price right now if I wanted to. I don't want to. I choose to have Android. It's just a fact, now get your facts straight.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Why? I did this the other day using someone elses Ipad! If you have to use itunes then you have to have your mac/pc with you, or install itunues and register that PC with itunes in order to access your phone.

With the OTA market you can use any browser on any device anywhere.

What are you talking about?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Can't we just go to the app store??

Android market is available on any device with a web browser and what you do on it can push to any device that might or might not be with you. I can be on my Mac in a coffee shop and see an app I want for my Xoom tablet that's back home and buy it and have it installed on my tablet at home without ever having to touch the tablet itself. When I get home, the app will be sitting there as if it had always been there in the first place.

You can't do that with the App store. You either need to tether and sync the phone with the device that accesses the store or access the store directly from the device.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Android market is available on any device with a web browser and what you do on it can push to any device that might or might not be with you. I can be on my Mac in a coffee shop and see an app I want for my Xoom tablet that's back home and buy it and have it installed on my tablet at home without ever having to touch the tablet itself. When I get home, the app will be sitting there as if it had always been there in the first place.

You can't do that with the App store. You either need to tether and sync the phone with the device that accesses the store or access the store directly from the device.

Supposedly this changes with IOS5 though from what I've read, right? Or even now? I haven't done it - but I think you can have your iDevice automatically install apps whether you bought them through iTunes on your computer or another phone - as long as it's on the same iTunes account.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

But why would I want to download something on my phone from my browser.

I don't even touch apps on itunes on my Mac. If I want an app on a device i'll just go get it on the device.

I can see your point you're trying to make, don't get me wrong but yeah, I don't really know anyone who currently syncs their phone to itunes to get an app. It makes no sense.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Agreed, and with iOS5's rumored improvements we'll finally be able to release the tether for iOS . . . . after like 6 years of NOT being able to wireless do things with a wireless device.

The iOS 5 presentation and it's supposed updates were enough to send me to the store for an iPad 2 now lets hope that Apple actually delivers on their promise of OTA updates and syncing.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Don't forget AT&T for inventing the Cell Phone Network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mobile_phones

Don't forget Al Gore for inventing the Internet!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist! Everyone just seemed to be in the pointless arguing mode. So, I thought I would join in.

In reality, companies have been "stealing" ideas from each other since the beginning. Hey, Henry Ford came up with idea of the manufacturing line. Other companies saw that it worked and started using it too. I have no problem if Apple/Google/Symbian/etc. see an idea being used by Apple/Google/Symbian/etc. and they take it and try to make it better. It's led to a lot of great innovations!

Last edited:

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Good luck with that. Eventually everyone will settle up when they tired of having all these lawsuits taking up too much executive time, requiring too much disclosure of proprietary data, too many trade secrets, etc. And the interminable amount of time it takes to reach a final judgment on cases like these mean they won't be decided for five to ten years. Sooner of later everyone will simply get tired of them and resolve them.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Secondly, why are you (and all the other nay sayers) hanging about on an Apple forum if you think they make crappy products?

I hang out here because I own a Macbook Air that I like and an iPhone also. I dabble in XCode and Mac/iOS programming and love reading about new Apple products.

It doesn't mean that I don't realise that Apple are sometimes hypocrites, that they are also guilty of copying other features from other vendors and that they cross the line in some of their agreements and are litigious beyond reason.

I'm an Apple user, not an Apple devotee. I don't have to love or like 100% of what they do to like some of it and have my place on a forum dedicated to their products.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Supposedly this changes with IOS5 though from what I've read, right? Or even now? I haven't done it - but I think you can have your iDevice automatically install apps whether you bought them through iTunes on your computer or another phone - as long as it's on the same iTunes account.

Yep :p

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Yep, everyone in the industry does it. It's called "Standing on the shoulders of giants". Even Apple does it.

But you know what ? Only Apple plays victim because of it and that's where people call them out on it. We wouldn't be having this discussion if Apple didn't call everyone else "copycats" while also copying their competition's feature sets.

true. i also don't agree with the galaxy tab 10.1 lawsuit because i believe the galaxy s phone looks more like a copycat. i have seen though that apple calls themselves a software company but in the end i think their software has more similarities to competitor products than their hardware does. whenever apple comes out with hardware most of the time its unique. maybe thats just Jony Ive :)

i think many people would look up to apple more if they made some kind of alliance with other companies like google, microsoft etc that borrowed each others software elements for products. whether it be the notification system or maybe multitasking. if you like an element ask for permission but that won't happen because there would be no money. maybe im just stupid but i know there are many features from android i would like and i know android people who like iPhones features.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
But why would I want to download something on my phone from my browser.

Because browsing the app store on a 24" monitor is much more enjoyable than on a 3.5 inch screen.

Because this is not just about phones.

Because you forgot your phone home but someone shows you a cool application you want and instead of e-mail you a reminder to get it when you're home, you just purchase it and install it right there.

It's convenient and it happens to be quite innovative. Are you just mad Apple didn't come up with it ? ;)

I don't even touch apps on itunes on my Mac. If I want an app on a device i'll just go get it on the device.

I can see your point you're trying to make, don't get me wrong but yeah, I don't really know anyone who currently syncs their phone to itunes to get an app. It makes no sense.

Nope, and the App Store is more limited than the Android Market because of it.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Two things:

Firstly, I'm not talking about "your" financial situation - I don't even know you.

Secondly, why are you (and all the other nay sayers) hanging about on an Apple forum if you think they make crappy products? My guess is that you're all trying to justify yourselves by saying the iPhone is no good while all the time you wish you had one. Please don't be surprised if you find that most of the people here actually like Apple stuff!

Uh, when did I say Apple makes crappy products? They do make more than iPhones. I do have a MacBook. I've been an MR member since long before the iPhone was even an Apple fan's wet dream.

Now be honest, did you buy the droid phone outright with your own money?
Yes, I bought a Nexus One when they came out for AT&T unlocked and unsubsidized for about $530 back in 2010. Earlier this year, I was upgrade eligible and bought an Inspire 4G on contract to replace the N1. Nothing wrong with the N1, I just preferred the bigger screen of the Inspire. And with my own money.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I hang out here because I own a Macbook Air that I like and an iPhone also. I dabble in XCode and Mac/iOS programming and love reading about new Apple products.

It doesn't mean that I don't realise that Apple are sometimes hypocrites, that they are also guilty of copying other features from other vendors and that they cross the line in some of their agreements and are litigious beyond reason.

I'm an Apple user, not an Apple devotee. I don't have to love or like 100% of what they do to like some of it and have my place on a forum dedicated to their products.

These words couldn't be stated enough on here. It's not a question of being a fanboy or hater. Nothing in life is so black and white.

What you wrote, I feel, I might steal for my signature. That is, unless - you plan on suing :)

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
HTC is fishing. The first one is extremely limited in scope and I doubt it applies to anything Apple makes. It is ironic since Apple invented the PDA, and I believe they had wireless modems years before this was filed.

I believe HTC believes this is a patent on the smartphone. I think you could make a case that it does not apply to any smartphone made today.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
HTC is fishing. The first one is extremely limited in scope and I doubt it applies to anything Apple makes. It is ironic since Apple invented the PDA, and I believe they had wireless modems years before this was filed.

I believe HTC believes this is a patent on the smartphone. I think you could make a case that it does not apply to any smartphone made today.

How many times do you have to be told that Apple didn't INVENT the PDA. They just were the first to use that name.

Wow.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Because browsing the app store on a 24" monitor is much more enjoyable than on a 3.5 inch screen.

Because this is not just about phones.

Because you forgot your phone home but someone shows you a cool application you want and instead of e-mail you a reminder to get it when you're home, you just purchase it and install it right there.

It's convenient and it happens to be quite innovative. Are you just mad Apple didn't come up with it ? ;)

Nope, and the App Store is more limited than the Android Market because of it.

haha. Nah, i'm not mad. Pushing stuff to all devices isn't new either and i'm confident android didn't come up with it.

I'm not sure what browsing the Android store is like on the phone but on the iPhone its perfect so non issue there.

maybe its just me but being away from my phone, i never felt the need to download an app for later. I can't speak for everyone of course.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
"orthogonal frequency division multiplexing" is an egregious offense by Apple and they should be punished by the fullest extent of the law.

You do not mess around with "orthogonal frequency division multiplexing".

Everyone thinks they can use "orthogonal frequency division multiplexing" and not pay HTC, and clearly that is not the case. "orthogonal frequency division multiplexing" means HTC in Spanish. So it is in their freaking name.

Come on Apple.

While you're trying to be funny, a patent for a specific technology certainly has more merit than the generic "look and feel", rounded corners and icons on a display "when the device is powered on" trade dress registration Apple tries to pull. Doesn't change just because YOU don't understand what it means.

I completely agree with the whole "patent lawsuits stifle innovation", until I saw a Samsung phone and an LG phone the other day the look almost identical to the iphone 3 in form factor. A coworker with the iphone and the guy who owns the samsung swapped phones and had to dial their own numbers later on to get their phones back.

In my eyes, SOME of these patent lawsuits combat the lack of innovation rather.

It has gone out of hand though...

LOL, I don't believe you for a second, you mean your colleges missed the big Samsung logo on one of the phones and didn't notice the difference in size until much later?

Its smacks desperation. :confused:

"Notification looks and behaves" isn't the same as pixel for pixel.

OTA updates just fits in with the iCloud route they are going. Makes sense. I'm sure they didn't look at android and think "thats a good idea".

People criticize apple a lot and its users but if that site represents Android and their users i feel really embarrassed for them.

Are you forgetting that it's Apple who sues others over "look and feel" nonsense?
So when others "copy" from Apple all it takes is that it's superficially influenced for them to be guilty of infringement but when Apple "copies" it doesn't count unless it's pixel for pixel identical?

What are you talking about fella?

The iPhone was a game changer in the phone industry, if you don't accept that then, OK that's your right to have an opinion.

When I say "smartphone" I mean a smartphone as we know them today not one that was just called a smart phone before the iPhone came along.

At that time, did all these other so called smartphones that you mention have large touch screens and a beautiful operating system that's a pleasure to use, not to mention movement and proximity sensors, a mute switch that you don't need to switch the screen on to use and a built in iPod? No I didn't think so.

OK so the original product didn't have MMS but it did have a proper web browser and proper email what did the others have that made them smart?

I think you need to have a think about what came before and what there is out there now. Maybe Apple didn't "invent" the smartphone but they sure as hell re-invented it and now everyone else is copying them wholesale.

Sure, you can cherry pick your own favourite features and use it to create your own definition of a smart phone, but it doesn't change the real definition. Sensors, mute switch, built in music player? When did this define a smart phone? Plus, yes, I'm pretty sure ALL of them had some kind of built in media player.
How about I cherry pick some feature from an Android phone that doesn't exist on the iPhone, does that mean I can say that the iPhone is not a smart phone as we now them TODAY?

Smart phones before iPhone: some were just large touch screens, some had full qwerty keyboards, just like todays smart phones.
They all had an operating system that allowed installing of apps and 3G had certainly by 2007 become a defining feature of a smart phone, the first iPhone had neither of those.
They all had browsers and unlike the first iPhone you actually had use for it since they had a decent 3G connection. With 2G you don't even want to browse anything but WAP pages so the fully HTML capable browser of iPhone 1 was pretty useless.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
You're so blinkered its almost funny. Try this for innovation - open a web browser, to to market.android.com, pick and app and click install. Couple of seconds later your android phone will start installing the app. No wires, no itunes, just nice simple integration.There's lots more stuff out there that Apple hasn't even touched yet but is available on other "smartphones".

So yes others innovate and all you need to do is take those Apple blinkers off!

You know you can do this on an iPhone to, since the App store opened. Nice try though. Fandroids are so cute sometimes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.