Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
If you're using a 2015 Macbook Pro in 2024 (like I am) I bet you'd be HAPPY with a new laptop that's the exact same size, weight, and EVERYTHING, with the internals being updated to the M3, right? This was the ultimate machine as far as serviceability, build, lighted apple in the lid, keyboard, ports, Mag Safe.... if Apple made a limited run of these with new internals, I bet they would be the most popular thing EVER.

The 2015 MacBook Pro is still, in my humble opinion, the best MacBook Apple has ever made. It was the peak of design, form, and function. The battery life wasn't great but man what a machine.

• Love
Reactions: 257Loner

wildaman

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2021
I use a 2021 M1 MBP for a work computer and I dread everytime I have to use that keyboard to type on. It's like typing on blocks of fire wood. Thankfully I don't have to type much on it, no more than 20 characters. But it's one of the worst keyboards I've ever used in my life. Its so bad that its a deal breaker and will not buy a recent M2 MBP to use as my own just because the keyboard is so bad.

Every now and then I may have to take the laptop home overnight and if I do, I connect one of my own bluetooth keyboards to it. It's that bad. Don't want finger strain after and have to see the doctor after.

The M2 air keyboard however is noticeably better. I was typing on the demo in Best Buy and after I got used to it after a few mins, it was quite good and I would tolerate it if I was to buy an Air.
interesting, I have a 2021 M1 MBP (16") for home use and a HP laptop at work and don't really have a preference between the two off the top of my head. at work I'm plugged into a wireless keyboard 90%+ of the time, but at home basically never with my MBP. can do my usual 110+ WPM on all devices

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
I was not able to type as fast on the M3 Max 16 keyboard but I don't hate it or anything. I guess I just love my Logitech Mx Keys and Mx Anywhere 3S mouse so I propped the Max on a stand. I can type considerably faster on the Mx Keys. The only problem is using the 3S mouse scroll wheel on web pages is just horribly jerky. I prefer the track pad and gestures so I went and got the black Magic Track pad and now I am completely happy. Yeah it seems like a lot of extra stuff to buy on top of an already expensive laptop. But I also have the Samsung Galaxy Tab S9+ and S23U so I also use the Keys and the 3S to control all 3 devices so it was worth the money to me. If your not happy with the MacBook keyboard it's so easy to buy whatever keyboard you feel best typing on. Below is a picture of the setup I ended up with.

Attachments

• 20240326_175015.jpg
    20240326_175015.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
I was not able to type as fast on the M3 Max 16 keyboard but I don't hate it or anything. I guess I just love my Logitech Mx Keys and Mx Anywhere 3S mouse so I propped the Max on a stand. I can type considerably faster on the Mx Keys. The only problem is using the 3S mouse scroll wheel on web pages is just horribly jerky. I prefer the track pad and gestures so I went and got the black Magic Track pad and now I am completely happy. Yeah it seems like a lot of extra stuff to buy on top of an already expensive laptop. But I also have the Samsung Galaxy Tab S9+ and S23U so I also use the Keys and the 3S to control all 3 devices so it was worth the money to me. If your not happy with the MacBook keyboard it's so easy to buy whatever keyboard you feel best typing on. Below is a picture of the setup I ended up with.
I have the full-sized (with numpad) Logitech MX Keys keyboard and it is an absolute joy to type on. I loathe using the cheap Microsoft keyboard my employer issued me for my desk at work.

That said I still love the keyboard on my 2021 14" MBP, but maybe that's because I had a butterfly keyboard laptop before that and I have some form of Stockholm Syndrome from finally having a not-as-bad keyboard.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I think it is just personal preference. I have ALWAYS even when they first came out, disliked the 2015 style MBP keyboards (ie the retina MBP keyboards). The travel is too much and the actuation force is too high. They felt mushy to me. I like the feel of my work 16" M1Max MBP probably the best of any Mac laptop I've ever owned (been using Macs since 2009). Not sure how the newer versions are but as long as they are going for a crisp typing feel, that's what I want.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I think it is just personal preference. I have ALWAYS even when they first came out, disliked the 2015 style MBP keyboards (ie the retina MBP keyboards). The travel is too much and the actuation force is too high. They felt mushy to me. I like the feel of my work 16" M1Max MBP probably the best of any Mac laptop I've ever owned (been using Macs since 2009). Not sure how the newer versions are but as long as they are going for a crisp typing feel, that's what I want.

Apple has stuck with the same keyboard design since switching to M1. Personally, I think the current design is miles ahead of the butterfly keyboards they replaced, and the keyboard is easy to type on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.